Defensive stats, make of this what you will

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Defensive stats, make of this what you will

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:19 am

Saul Goodman wrote:Im surprised we havent seen Pablo, Vinny, Marty, and Aleks play together

Was probably planned but our glass captain makes the full rotation difficult.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:36 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:I have updated the original data and will continue to do so each game until the end of the season. this is so we have some facts to fall back on for silly season arguments during the summer transfer bollox

the fact of the matter is that facts are going to make our arguments harder to have and more shit tbh.

You're ruining the site with your facts, you analytical bastard.

How is CARL supposed to fucking even post on here anymore? How is Ted going to write 5 paragraph rants calling people out for only really reading or understanding 20% of what he's written? Now he'll have the facts and post 2 sentences and no one will fight with him. If you thought he was RoboCop before, he'll be full on motherfucking RoboCop 3 now.

I preferred it when people just made shit up and stuck to their guns like a fucking barnacle on a boat.

cheers

I don't fucking understand those stats, so no need to worry on that theme.

Nice one Ted

There you go doomy. Status quo LOL

I love it when a plan, etc

And Carl probably hired a village boy to read his email and internet posts so he won't even know about this I'm guessing.

Maybe this is a good thing after all. You put the anal in analysis Bob.

Related, this one place I worked had a slightly hot business analyst who would run our teams status meetings and when a project deliverable needed analysis she would truncate the crowded spreadsheet row so that it read "Pending Anal." After weeks of this we could literally barely contain ourselves. Not one person on that team stopped her tho.

And yes this made us all want to assfuck her.

Cheers

Cheers Doomy, I am glad the Business Analyst story was told after you started describing my anal ability!

Nice to know that you can just be slightly hot, but a few words on a spreadsheet and everyone is after you.... I will keep this in mind as I use them damn things every day. It's an IT love formula, I tell ya!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Updated with the Villa info from last week
Wonderwall

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 05, 2015 11:09 am

updated the stats, will be interesting next week when VK is available, I hope he is on the bench
Wonderwall

Postby Nick » Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Slim wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:Im surprised we havent seen Pablo, Vinny, Marty, and Aleks play together

Was probably planned but our glass captain makes the full rotation difficult.

Our left side would get burned for pace.

VK back soon? ERM he might aswel have an early holiday. Take Yaya too. Mangala needs the last 3 games with Demi.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 13, 2015 10:47 am

Defence stats updated and it looks better and better for our supposed bad buy Mr Mangala,

Well done pellers, same again please next week, but I would probably change lamps for Yaya
Wonderwall

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed May 13, 2015 11:03 am

Seems we're most likely to keep a clean sheet when Kolarov plays. Chortle.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby dazby » Wed May 13, 2015 11:35 am

I am stunned every week that opposition teams get done by our offside trap. I mean, there's actually a line on the field showing where it is.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 26, 2015 11:34 am

updated the stats, its pretty grim reading for Kompany this season. See what happens when you stop rotating the defence without reason Me Pellgrini!! I hope you learned something from this season!
Wonderwall

Postby C & C » Tue May 26, 2015 2:50 pm

I'd be interested to see what the results from the previous season are for this. Not interested enough to do the work mind you, but interested nonetheless.
C & C
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 26, 2015 3:00 pm

C & C wrote:I'd be interested to see what the results from the previous season are for this. Not interested enough to do the work mind you, but interested nonetheless.

if it was available on the football moby App I would do it as its really easy, unfortunately they only have current season and I cant be arsed trawling all match reports for the line ups.
Wonderwall

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:04 pm

For all the shit we've given them on here over the season, especially from Christmas on, it would seem that the four we finished out the season with
collectively and individually had the best defensive records.
PZ & MD & EM & AK 07 1 0 08

MDM seems to be the glue in the back four, for all his faults.
I don't know if anyone on here mentioned it, this season.........

I blame Kompany.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby C & C » Tue May 26, 2015 4:39 pm

Digging into those numbers a bit, here are the points achieved per game for individuals and some pairings...

VK1.45
MD1.81
EM2.34

VKMD1.06
VKEM2.17
MDEM2.47

BS1.64
PZ1.91
AK2.00
GC1.71

BSAK1.50
BSGC1.75
PZAK2.20
PZGC1.70
C & C
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby blues2win » Tue May 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Vinny has to shape up next season. If he doesn't he'll be on his way. We all hope and believe he'll form an effective and enduring partnership with the Mangler but if not Denayer is waiting in the wings.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Slim » Wed May 27, 2015 2:44 am

That's hilarious, I would say that proves Mangala is the best centrehalf we have, but I think MDM's PPG has been destroyed by partnering more often with Vinnie.

One stat I heard during commentary, as a defensive partnership, Mangala and Demi have not lost a single game this season. Maybe Carl's right and Vinnie did cost us the title.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri May 29, 2015 2:13 am

Slim wrote:That's hilarious, I would say that proves Mangala is the best centrehalf we have, but I think MDM's PPG has been destroyed by partnering more often with Vinnie.

One stat I heard during commentary, as a defensive partnership, Mangala and Demi have not lost a single game this season. Maybe Carl's right and Vinnie did cost us the title.

he looked like dogshit last night vs Toronto as well. He's got to get on his bike and figure his shit out. Dunno what happened, but culturally he's been way more important than his actual gameplaying over the last 18 months. In fact, some might say it goes back to Lescott propping him up as well.

Related, the interview was interesting....anyone know how we actually embrace analytics at a club level? I feel like I read something a few years ago but i can't recall what it was.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/baye ... ced-stats/
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Slim » Sun May 31, 2015 4:25 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Slim wrote:That's hilarious, I would say that proves Mangala is the best centrehalf we have, but I think MDM's PPG has been destroyed by partnering more often with Vinnie.

he looked like dogshit last night vs Toronto as well. He's got to get on his bike and figure his shit out. Dunno what happened, but culturally he's been way more important than his actual gameplaying over the last 18 months. In fact, some might say it goes back to Lescott propping him up as well.

Related, the interview was interesting....anyone know how we actually embrace analytics at a club level? I feel like I read something a few years ago but i can't recall what it was.

I would like to think he's had a bad season and class will shine through, but how much are we overlooking his string of injuries? Torres, Owen, Falcao all were fucked after their injuries and people quickly pointed to the injury as the reason why. I would argue that Vinnie has been injured as much if not more than any of them and could well be the reason behind his rather shocking and quick decline into Carl's doghouse(contains every centrehalf we've ever had, dazby and Mark Hughes). Add to that even if it's not decline, there was no real point this season where he wasn't playing injured or coming back from an injury.

If this is the case then I think we need to consider moving him on now while it looks like a dip in form and not permanent degradation. Once that happens we'll not be able to shift him for more than £5M and paying half his wages.(Fuck you Ade!) If it's just a poor season, then like you said, he is way more important as a leader both on and off the pitch and should be kept at all costs. While I fear the former and hope for the latter, he has earned(in spades) the chance to turn it around. If we get stung on transfer fees and having a crock on the books, so be it. Not like he turned up at the club injured, not like he spent two years claiming every sore muscle was an injury. He's led us to two titles and if that doesn't earn him the chance, not sure what does.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun May 31, 2015 5:59 am

DoomMerchant wrote:

The club has a very big sports science setup and have people crunching the numbers on everything from passes, to whether a player is burning out.

I made the point some months ago that if this is the case, I really think the club will have had discussions about moving kompany on - they would be negligent not to if we can see it with out one eyes, the numbers must be pretty damning for him. Like someone else has said though, him still being here next season points to either the issue being temporary or he is being kept around for non-defensive reasons as a figurehead.

My suspicion is that he's dropped a tiny bit of pace and is now misjudging challenges and mistiming tackles as a result which is why we are seeing him rushing into challenges up the pitch and leaving his partner stranded. If he is trying to compensate for a loss of pace, he needs to work that out sharpish, as he has no business being in the team, or even the subs on his form of te last 6 months.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum