Pep Guardiola - football genius??

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pep Guardiola - football genius??

Postby bayblue » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 pm

Sorry if this is heresy but indulge me and/or slag me off as you see fit.

It seems most folk see Pep as our saviour, hopefully arriving on a planet near us in 2016.

He's seen as someone who can create teams, improve them, and deliver success at home and in Europe.

I'm up for all these ambitions but I'm really not so sure that the facts of his time in Munich bear out his ability to deliver them.

We've all been driven half crazy by our lack of success in Europe but consider how the Bayern fans now feel who saw their team win the title under Heynckes and in two years of Pep have been annihilated by Madrid and, whilst the tie isn't over, embarrassed by Porto.

As for improving teams then there are plenty of Bayern fans who are strongly of the view that the team has not improved; they think that the foreign media are overawed by Pep and don't give the credit to his predecessor. They think the style of play has changed and is not as aggressive or enjoyable as it once was. Some more traditional Bavarians even think he has betrayed the culture and spirit of the club!!!

So - is he our clear saviour? And given he might not even ever come are we right to pin our hopes on someone who might not come and even if he does might not be the dream many people think.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Re: Pep Guardiola - football genius??

Postby PeterParker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 pm

To be fair, they did not have Ribery, Robben, Alaba, Schweinsteiger and Lahm was not 100 %.

Still with 3-1 if you ask me, they are favorites to move on.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:47 pm

What a load of speculative unfounded bullshit.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:55 pm

Every now and again, circumstances come together which creates an anomaly. In the case of Barcelona, an exceptional group of young players were breaking into the first team under Rijkaard, following cryuff's work in building La Masia into what it is reputed to be today.

At the same time, a young coach, who had coached a number of these younger players at youth level came through and was able to immediately play the same style that had been the case at youth level, and interchange the better youth players into the first team to plug gaps....some of whom like Pedro soon made the first team spot his own.

All these circumstances came to a confluence, and Guardiola was the one to put the cherry on top of Rijkaard and Cryuff's work.

Much the same set of coincidences occurred in 1992 in England, although the manager that time had more about him, more longevity. Since Guardiola went to Bayern, he has been bang average compared to his predecessor.

I thinkthat their fêted youth system and the notion of Guardiola as a top manager is possibly nothing more than a fluke. Like at the swamp, Since the emergence of all this talent at once, how many players of genuine European quality have come through since then? What signs are there for Bayern that his "style of play" wasn't simply dictated by the nature of the players he had at Barca, and that it's not as transferable as we may think.

I think we go down this route at our own risk, as it could easily end in tears
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:04 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:What a load of speculative unfounded bullshit.

You really are a smarmy self important cunt aren't you?

The OP's assessment of his performance in Germany is not wide of the mark according to a few lads I spoke to last week who have season tickets at Bayern. There are a lot of question marks about his methods and tactics being unsuited to the squad, which raise further questions about whether what he did at Barcelona is transportable elsewhere.

So what exactly is this speculative unfounded bullshit? Care to enlighten us, of are you just being a fucking troll as usual?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:

The OP's assessment of his performance in Germany is not wide of the mark according to a few lads I spoke to last week who have season tickets at Bayern. There are a lot of question marks about his methods and tactics being unsuited to the squad, which raise further questions about whether what he did at Barcelona is transportable elsewhere.

So what exactly is this speculative unfounded bullshit? Care to enlighten us, of are you just being a fucking troll as usual?

Being a troll as usual....nail on head with that one.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:41 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:

Stay classy mate.

Unfounded: "A few lads you spoke to" are your basis for dismissing the talents of a man, who is widely (widely as in not just a few guys you met in the pub) regarded as one of the greatest managers of the modern era.

Speculative: The original poster is also on about "our saviour". Saviour from what exactly? Who exactly is banking on Guardiola to "save" us from anything? This want and expectancy from fickle fans is what's killing any spirit this club hasn't sold off.

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Being a troll as usual....nail on head with that one.

Mate, you are literally the dictionary definition of a troll. I'd consider it a complement if I thought you'd understand the irony.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:15 am

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Stay classy mate.

Unfounded: "A few lads you spoke to" are your basis for dismissing the talents of a man, who is widely (widely as in not just a few guys you met in the pub) regarded as one of the greatest managers of the modern era.

Speculative: The original poster is also on about "our saviour". Saviour from what exactly? Who exactly is banking on Guardiola to "save" us from anything? This want and expectancy from fickle fans is what's killing any spirit this club hasn't sold off.

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Being a troll as usual....nail on head with that one.

Mate, you are literally the dictionary definition of a troll. I'd consider it a complement if I thought you'd understand the irony.

Unfounded.... it was the OP you accused of being unfounded, not me.

Unrelated to that, but I would happily take the views of some very knowledgeable and level headed football fans on board, particularly when those views appear to agree with the narrative that is playing out in the media that he is under performing. Should we just disregard anyone's opinion that you don't agree with as unfounded? If you weren't a city fan and met 3 city fans who all said Toure was under performing, should you entirely disregard that perspective because it's only 3 fans? Even if what you've seen supports that viewpoint?

Speculative....."it seems that people think he's our saviour" - In the sense that it's long been believed by many that he would be the manager at some point in the future to lead us on to untold glory and riches. So, in reality, the statement that people think he's the saviour, is not speculative at all, some people clearly do, evidence is all around us this week on this board.

Your post was unnecessarily dismissive and factually incorrect in that the OP's post was neither speculative nor unfounded. If you want to disagree with the guy, have a discussion about it, unless you're just here so you can put people down and look down on people with smug superiority as you seem to do more often than not.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby getdressedmctavish » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:05 am

Never mind the internecine stuff. It was obvious last year he had them over passing when they were set up for faster more direct play. In any walk of life you find that getting lucky and being a genius are easily confused.Given that we can never turn the clock back or conduct a controlled experiment we never really know which it is.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Crossie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 am

Here lies the reason this forum is in decline.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:53 am

Crossie wrote:Here lies the reason this forum is in decline.

Decline?

Nothing brings the board to life more than manager chat,i'm off to get my popcorn.

Dis gonna be good.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:49 pm

In forum terms, what actually is a troll? Genuine question.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:55 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:In forum terms, what actually is a troll? Genuine question.

I think it's someone who posts purely for provocation, with little or no genuine interest in the debate.

Like me :)
Original Dub

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Original Dub wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:In forum terms, what actually is a troll? Genuine question.

I think it's someone who posts purely for provocation, with little or no genuine interest in the debate.

Like me :)

Like throwing a one line grenade in to see what happens? Gotcha.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:09 pm

I blame mediocrity. When we were shit everyone either bonded or argued. When we won shit we either celebrated or argued.

Now we're just there this season, no threat at either end. We have to talk about something, might as well fight.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:25 pm

Why would Bayern be better than the pre Pep side who won all the competitions they entered, without all their best players & like us, with an ageing team ?

The cunts have made their own bed where they stroll through the season & have no competition whatsoever, then suddenly have to go up five levels to play in the Champions League. Fuck em.

We have seen Bayern on numerous occasions. There is one which stands out, when Pep's team dicked us off the pitch two seasons ago. That team was better than us, better than Bayern previously, better than Barca, Arsenal with Henry & Vieira, better than anything we have seen.

That was everyone fit, at the top of their game, playing in a Barca style, with tougher more athletic players. That's what he can do. But he is doing it with a team which is past its sell by date. Relying on veteran players, like we are. But getting much more out of them. They were heavilly handicapped when we played them at their place this season, but he totally re vamped the team & beat us.

Just because he has a great record doesn't mean he can instantly clean up at our club, the Premier League is a different problem, but people questioning him, then suggesting basically ANY other manager as a better bet, are just talking through their arses. Instant solution ? Not necessarily. Could take a few seasons. Bloke to build a fantastic team & club which could last forever after he's long gone; absolutely.
Of course he can do the fucking job at City & there isn't even the slightest risk giving him the opportunity. There is no guarantee any manager wins us the title, but Pep, even if he failed to win anything, would leave nothing behind at City other than good foundations.

I'm hoping he sees that Bayern could be a tougher rebuild than City, with even worse whingers to deal with, & comes here.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:37 pm

but people questioning him, then suggesting basically ANY other manager as a better bet, are just talking through their arses

Who says this? I don't see it in this thread but then again, I might be missing something.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:37 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:

Decline?

Nothing brings the board to life more than manager chat,i'm off to get my popcorn.

Dis gonna be good.

You having a green tea with ya popcorn?
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
but people questioning him, then suggesting basically ANY other manager as a better bet, are just talking through their arses

Who says this? I don't see it in this thread but then again, I might be missing something.

Anyone who suggests Pep can't do the job is automatically suggesting someone else can, as we have to have some cunt managing, therefore if someone suggests (note word: 'suggests' ) they know another manager would do a better job, they are talking bollocks.

Pep is the least gamble out of any candidate for the job, but nobody is a certainty to succeed.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:52 pm

"Pep is the least gamble out of any candidate for the job. If someone suggests otherwise, they are talking bollocks."

Sounds an awful lot like this to me:

AntMcfc wrote:your opinion will mean very little to me because I know I'm right.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum