Silva

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:52 pm

The criticism of Ted on this thread is out of order. The question Ted is asking is very simple. Silva, one of city greatest ever players, where does he fit?

We want better solidity in the middle, we want more down the flanks.

In either case he isn't the man for us. He has a stupid amount of talent at what he does, which is to sit in a position somewhere between the attack and midfield and play the attacker in.

Yet we play him on the wing or in the middle of midfield.

I give no criticism of the player who is probably one of the best I've ever seen, but unless we have a team playing incredibly like last year where we blew teams away, he slows things down and he doesn't ADD to our team in the positions he has been playing.

Up front for me, or sell him whilst he has value
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Poor Merlin. End of last season everyone said if he scored more goals he would be a world beater, so he did, and look what happens.......
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Poor Merlin. End of last season everyone said if he scored more goals he would be a world beater, so he did, and look what happens.......

Now imagine what would happen if he and aguero were supported by a good midfield

Oh look, we win the league.....surprise surprise
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Poor Merlin. End of last season everyone said if he scored more goals he would be a world beater, so he did, and look what happens.......

Now imagine what would happen if he and aguero were supported by a good midfield

Basically then the yaya and Fern dropoff, both of which have been substantive are the root cause of our failure to mount a respectful title defense?

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:38 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:The criticism of Ted on this thread is out of order. The question Ted is asking is very simple. Silva, one of city greatest ever players, where does he fit?

We want better solidity in the middle, we want more down the flanks.

In either case he isn't the man for us. He has a stupid amount of talent at what he does, which is to sit in a position somewhere between the attack and midfield and play the attacker in.

Yet we play him on the wing or in the middle of midfield.

I give no criticism of the player who is probably one of the best I've ever seen, but unless we have a team playing incredibly like last year where we blew teams away, he slows things down and he doesn't ADD to our team in the positions he has been playing.

Up front for me, or sell him whilst he has value

My criticism is not of Ted in particular, I see the game in similar terms to him. And I've usually agreed with you too.
However, to reach the conclusion that we need to sell one of our best ever players and a world star is ridiculous beyond belief. A truly remarkable conclusion.
I don't think Silva slows us down. Yaya does, Nasri does, but Silva has a quick brain for moving the game forward. He invariably makes the right selection with his choice of pace and timing of passes. It's what makes him so good. I think he has missed Tevez more than anyone. They were on the same wavelength
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:28 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Basically then the yaya and Fern dropoff, both of which have been substantive are the root cause of our failure to mount a respectful title defense?

Cheers

Everybody has dropped off, including Silva. His increased goals tally has allowed him to get away with a really poor quality season. If it wasn't for that spell where we played with no strikers, & he excelled, this season wouldn't be up to Stephen Ireland/ Elano/ Robinho levels, certainly not Bellamy or SWP.

Before the rags game he had 4 assists. Same as Zabaleta. Four. A few other players with 4 assists: Jack Colback. Jon Walters. Bobby Zamora.

He is not alone, there are various other vastly overrated (on this season) performers like Coutinho with 5 assists.

Nasri, Milner & Chris Brunt have 6.

Aguero & Navas have 7. Angel Di Maria, having a poor season, has 11.

Silva this season has not done what it says on the tin, & is 100% as much to blame as Yaya Toure for our present situation. If Di Maria can pick up more than twice as many assists as Silva then he has been comprehensively outclassed & would not get in any top side on his current level.

That isn't somebody elses fault, it's his.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dick dastardley » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:41 am

Imo nasri is a shite, lazy and isnt suited to our team, hes in the yaya lazy fucker camp for me, isco and pogba would be a great addition add reus to that and i think were not far off, mangala surely need time to bed in, sagna and kolorov need to be shipped along with dzonkey and jovetic, a couple of eds now need to be elevated plus we have lopez and denayer back, along with inchea.
Write this season off as a learning curve to pixie and dixie that buying old players past their sell by date or players that are getting on a bit, and the disruptive ones arent the way forward.
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:43 am

Original Dub

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:16 am

Sorry Ted, but you are simply wrong on this one.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:19 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Sorry Ted, but you are simply wrong on this one.

Wrong about what exactly ?

Silva being under par, not being an ideal left winger or 2nd striker ?

What ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:23 am

About him being shite and as culpable as Yaya ( who I think gets too much criticism) and Nasri ( Who doesn't get enough)
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:28 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:About him being shite and as culpable as Yaya ( who I think gets too much criticism) and Nasri ( Who doesn't get enough)

Well if I'm wrong, I've been wrong all season because it's not a reaction to anything that I've posted this, it's something I spotted way back & Zabaleta too. The pair of them have been nowhere near it imo. Silva at least has had periods of being top quality wheras Zabba has just been shite, but I've been noticing this all season when others have been getting crucified & they get away with it.

And he was dogshit in the World Cup too.
Last edited by Ted Hughes on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wooders » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:28 am

I'm also frustrated by him this season - he's not doing enough IMO - sure he has weighed in with a few more goals, but I'd swap him for last years silva any day
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:30 am

I'm just wondering how many goals & assists Adam Johnson got in his last season.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Cheers

Everybody has dropped off, including Silva. His increased goals tally has allowed him to get away with a really poor quality season. If it wasn't for that spell where we played with no strikers, & he excelled, this season wouldn't be up to Stephen Ireland/ Elano/ Robinho levels, certainly not Bellamy or SWP.

Before the rags game he had 4 assists. Same as Zabaleta. Four. A few other players with 4 assists: Jack Colback. Jon Walters. Bobby Zamora.

He is not alone, there are various other vastly overrated (on this season) performers like Coutinho with 5 assists.

Silva this season has not done what it says on the tin, & is 100% as much to blame as Yaya Toure for our present situation. If Di Maria can pick up more than twice as many assists as Silva then he has been comprehensively outclassed & would not get in any top side on his current level.

But then the number of assists a player gets depends not only on his skills, but the ability of the players for whom he creates chances to score, or indeed their willingness to shoot.
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby kinkylola » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:53 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Cheers

But then the number of assists a player gets depends not only on his skills, but the ability of the players for whom he creates chances to score, or indeed their willingness to shoot.

there's lots of reasons why our players have not performed up to snuff this season ... Silva is on the list, and I think he suffers most from the general malaise our team has been going through this season. His game requires participation from others, willing runs, checking back being available for a pass and doing something with it when they get it. Not to say he isn't also at fault but when everyone is misfiring to some degree, the man supposedly pulling the strings is going to look like one of the main culprits.

Silva isn't necessarily the kind of player that is going to haul us back from the brink, or power the team through tough game. Aguero is probably the only player we have right now capable of that. Yaya has the tools to do it every game, all the time ... like a grown man against children ... though he chooses not to.

I also don't think silva and yaya can be in the same team (assuming you want consistent high performance levels) and I don't think either is suited to type of game that pelligrini plays.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:42 pm

You have hit the nail on the head when you say that Silva is't really the kind of player to haul us back into games & that he relies on everyone else doing their bit correctly.

That kind of tallys with my original post; he's a player you have to either build around or accomodate.

If you can fill the team with players who do actually do stuff which will drag you back into games, you don't pick Silva. So if you are Real Madrid looking for 11 players to build a team, you don't buy Silva.

You buy him because he's a great player, not to fit in the team, or run the team, or take set pieces or any of that. Someone else does all that & you fit Silva in at the expense of a winger or centre mid or striker ot No 10.

Yaya & Nasri are the same. But Yaya has changed many more games than Silva.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:14 pm

I recall Silva hauled us back into the game away at Hull last year.
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Original Dub wrote:http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/04/17/this-is-pls-best-playmaker-in-2015-better-than-arsenal-ace-and-h/

I tried to copy and paste the content of this because it is very relevant to the topic.

Basically, it says Silva has been the best playmaker in the whole league this season.

Unless the article is wrong - feel free to pick holes in it. But if it is entirely factual, then some of the arguments on this thread look a bit silly.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:09 pm

How do you determine what a 'chance' is ?

It's ok for fun but imo Navas creates 3 o r 4 almost every game & if we had Solskjaer playing alongside Aguero rather then Dzeko, we would be about 10 points better off. That doesn't figure in any stats.

The real stat is that DiMaria has twice as many assists as Silva. Aguero & Navas top our list.

You watch the games, are we forever missing chances created by Silva or is it actually him who misses more created by everyone else ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum