Silva

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:29 pm

blues2win wrote:Silva plays best floating around finding pockets of space behind the striker/s. Just like Yaya and Nasri he's not a natural at tracking back and pressing with the addition that he has a slight physique anyway for it. However, I think we can accommodate one midfielder playing like that but not three. So in my view Yaya and/ or Nasri, perhaps both, get sold and Silva stays. He played best actually when we played briefly with a false no 9, scored some goals too.

Why do you think you need to have a big physique to play a pressing game. If Silva was to play in midfield 3 he would be playing that bit deeper that it wouldnt be really tracking back he would have to do, only pick up the players around him. Xavi and Iniesta were excellent at pressing, played in a midfield 3 and i think Silva could have a similar impact
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:36 pm

My point isn't really about 'accomodating' Silva. Of course we can do that. He is a fantastic player, but what is he ?

If you get a blank sheet of paper, & you say for instance 'ok I'm going to build a team which plays with width' Then you put in Aguero, pick two wide players do you pick Silva as one of the wide players ? I would say absolutely not. You could 'accomodate' him but then you don't play with two wide players. So you look at centre mids. Do you want Silva or do you want a modern day Colin Bell & Roy Keane ? No contest there. So you play Silva behind the front man & now you have two fantastic centre mids, a pair of excellent pacey wide players, they get the ball out wide sprint to the line &...Aguero at 5ft is the ony target, so they can't cross anything in the air.

So you go 'I know, let's not have two wide players...'

This happens with almost every system you try to figure.

Even in a midfield 5, Silva as a false 9 is a really really really shit one compared to all of the famous ones over the years. They all score loads & take fee kicks etc. Totti compared to Silva in that job ?

Silva is a quite brilliant footballer, one of the best in the league, but he doesn't have a position.

Doug hit the nail on the head: the best system with Silva in it, which got the best from him, was when we had a side full of midfield players & no strikers.

We can of course accomodate Silva & he will be one of our best players. But if we were building a team from scratch, to play a particular way, with everyone assigned a balanced job, we wouldn't pick him for any position in it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:43 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
blues2win wrote:Silva plays best floating around finding pockets of space behind the striker/s. Just like Yaya and Nasri he's not a natural at tracking back and pressing with the addition that he has a slight physique anyway for it. However, I think we can accommodate one midfielder playing like that but not three. So in my view Yaya and/ or Nasri, perhaps both, get sold and Silva stays. He played best actually when we played briefly with a false no 9, scored some goals too.

Why do you think you need to have a big physique to play a pressing game. If Silva was to play in midfield 3 he would be playing that bit deeper that it wouldnt be really tracking back he would have to do, only pick up the players around him. Xavi and Iniesta were excellent at pressing, played in a midfield 3 and i think Silva could have a similar impact

You may be right, but if you had the choice of Silva or one of the best players in Europe who actually does that job already would you pick Silva ?

If you can have Pigfucker & a place for plus two others for example, if Silva wasn't already at City, would you sign him to play that role or go for someone else ? Pogba for example ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:My point isn't really about 'accomodating' Silva. Of course we can do that. He is a fantastic player, but what is he ?

If you get a blank sheet of paper, & you say for instance 'ok I'm going to build a team which plays with width' Then you put in Aguero, pick two wide players do you pick Silva as one of the wide players ? I would say absolutely not. You could 'accomodate' him but then you don't play with two wide players. So you look at centre mids. Do you want Silva or do you want a modern day Colin Bell & Roy Keane ? No contest there. So you play Silva behind the front man & now you have two fantastic centre mids, a pair of excellent pacey wide players, they get the ball out wide sprint to the line &...Aguero at 5ft is the ony target, so they can't cross anything in the air.

Even in a midfield 5, Silva as a false 9 is a really really really shit one compared to all of the famous ones over the years. They all score loads & take fee kicks etc. Totti compared to Silva in that job ?

Silva is a quite brilliant footballer, one of the best in the league, but he doesn't have a position.

Doug hit the nail on the head: the best system with Silva in it, which got the best from him, was when we had a side full of midfield players & no strikers.

We can of course accomodate Silva & he will be one of our best players. But if we were building a team from scratch, to play a particular way, with everyone assigned a balanced job, we wouldn't pick him for any position in it.

I agree, Silva doesn't fit in a 442 or any variation of it but neither does Iniesta or Xavi. Ask the same questions above with them players and you get the same answers and they are most suited to a 433 formation
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

You may be right, but if you had the choice of Silva or one of the best players in Europe who actually does that job already would you pick Silva ?

If you can have Pigfucker & a place for plus two others for example, if Silva wasn't already at City, would you sign him to play that role or go for someone else ? Pogba for example ?

I'm a big Silva fan but, I must admit, I was more than a little envious of Atletico last night, particularly the way they pressed, worked, battled and 'dug-in' when they had to.

If only from that aspect, I couldn't envisage Silva applying himself in such a way.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:My point isn't really about 'accomodating' Silva. Of course we can do that. He is a fantastic player, but what is he ?

I agree, Silva doesn't fit in a 442 or any variation of it but neither does Iniesta or Xavi. Ask the same questions above with them players and you get the same answers and they are most suited to a 433 formation

Absolutely, but if we were going to play 433 next season & could pick any players we wanted for the mid 3, I think there would be quite a few we would pick before we picked Silva. Not because they are better players, but because they do that job better. Iniesta & Xavi being an example.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:03 pm

In old football parlance, Silva is a 'luxury player'.

If we want our best XI to play a pressing game with all players doing their bit then he struggles for me.

If we are happy for the other midfielders cum wingers cum wing backs cum false nines or whatever positions you wish to call them, do the pressing and give Silva free reign to do whatever takes his fancy, there's no one else i'd rather have.

All depends on the brand of football we wish to play. Sometimes great players just dont fit into a teams way of playing and sometimes things just click into place
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:03 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I'm a big Silva fan but, I must admit, I was more than a little envious of Atletico last night, particularly the way they pressed, worked, battled and 'dug-in' when they had to.

If only from that aspect, I couldn't envisage Silva applying himself in such a way.

I'm a big Silva fan too. But whenever I look at potential signings for next season, I keep asking myself how the side balances, & the square peg is Silva every time.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:07 pm

nottsblue wrote:In old football parlance, Silva is a 'luxury player'.

If we want our best XI to play a pressing game with all players doing their bit then he struggles for me.

If we are happy for the other midfielders cum wingers cum wing backs cum false nines or whatever positions you wish to call them, do the pressing and give Silva free reign to do whatever takes his fancy, there's no one else i'd rather have.

All depends on the brand of football we wish to play. Sometimes great players just dont fit into a teams way of playing and sometimes things just click into place

That's a good analysis, & for my money the luxury player, should be the bloke who takes most of the dead ball stuff, & scores a hefty number of goals. If Silva could deliver a ball like DiMaria or take direct free kicks like Ronaldo, then he fills that role.

But he can't.

Just thinking of it; we have 3 luxury players to do the job of one.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

That's a good analysis, & for my money the luxury player, should be the bloke who takes most of the dead ball stuff, & scores a hefty number of goals. If Silva could deliver a ball like DiMaria or take direct free kicks like Ronaldo, then he fills that role.

But he can't.

That's the root cause of the shit I believe.

We need only 2 and never on the pitch together and we play all 3 sometimes.

Retardation.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:29 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

But he can't.

That's the root cause of the shit I believe.

We need only 2 and never on the pitch together and we play all 3 sometimes.

Retardation.

That then goes back to my op though.

You dump Yaya & Nasri, sign x & y as the prefect replacements, then you look at the teamsheet & try to figure out how to shoehorn Silva in.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby getdressedmctavish » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Ted, I think you are making it too complicated. You've given an argument for selling Aguero not Silve. There is little doubt we went down the wrong path Chumps league wise buying Bony but he was a useful squad addition because Aguero will never be fit all the time. There will mainly be a place for Silva but not always. He will become the potential sacrifice we should have made of Toure when that cunt is gone. But most of the time he will play. We need to get rid of Toure and Navas, the first for obvious reasons, the second because he never scores( and never did). We replace them with a box to box , Fernandino or a n other if the fucker never grows up, and a wide striker/mf like de Bruyne. We have then solved our probs. If you want to score headers bring on Bony for Aguero. Even start him if you want to hold the ball up. Then decide whether Fernando is good enough holding, if not look for a Matic Clone or have Pogba and Fernandinho interchanging. Dave mostly gets a game somewhere in that set up because he will score goals in a team functioning well and because he is the best seer of a pass.He isn't at his best at the mo because of the effect of playing with ten men. Get rid of Toure and everyone will improve. Even Zab.But fuckin drop Toure. If I see him on Sunday he is getting both barrels.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

But he can't.

Arsenal lost Fabregas, Nasri and Song, they coped. I love Silva, however his free role leaves holes as we saw with the dippers.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:17 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:Ted, I think you are making it too complicated. You've given an argument for selling Aguero not Silve. There is little doubt we went down the wrong path Chumps league wise buying Bony but he was a useful squad addition because Aguero will never be fit all the time. There will mainly be a place for Silva but not always. He will become the potential sacrifice we should have made of Toure when that cunt is gone. But most of the time he will play. We need to get rid of Toure and Navas, the first for obvious reasons, the second because he never scores( and never did). We replace them with a box to box , Fernandino or a n other if the fucker never grows up, and a wide striker/mf like de Bruyne. We have then solved our probs. If you want to score headers bring on Bony for Aguero. Even start him if you want to hold the ball up. Then decide whether Fernando is good enough holding, if not look for a Matic Clone or have Pogba and Fernandinho interchanging. Dave mostly gets a game somewhere in that set up because he will score goals in a team functioning well and because he is the best seer of a pass.He isn't at his best at the mo because of the effect of playing with ten men. Get rid of Toure and everyone will improve. Even Zab.But fuckin drop Toure. If I see him on Sunday he is getting both barrels.

You mention DeBruyne.

When I've watched him, he will leg it about like fuck, then he completely stops legging it about. But he puts in absolutely loads of crosses, diagonals etc, takes free kicks, scores goals. But he goes missing defensively all of a sudden. So you look at him & think 'best put hiim where it won't damage us & we get the best out of him attacking' but when you look at the team sheet, Silva is already there, not crossing, not taking free kicks, not hitting diagonals etc. So now you need two players to cover for both of them, so you sacrifice one of the strikers or Brandon Barker, etc.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby getdressedmctavish » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:21 pm

Ted, Silva can do all of those things, look at his cross on sunday. Our prob has been relying on the c-nt and playing through him and Navas. Silver will give you crosses because he gets to great places to deliver them. He will score ten goals. He can take free kicks from the right position. You've hit the nail on the head, de Bruyne has weaknesses. That's the point. They all do. Does anyone seriously think Pogba is the finished article?Our main problems have been Toure, Navas, Dzeko and Nasri. They are toast. None should ever play for City again. Dave will be fine in my view and I really struggle when people slag him and then say Fernandinho was "immense"( I know you are not doing that, just trying to have a rational conversation) I don't think its even true he doesn't track or tackle. He aint the greatest but he has a go, like xavi for example. in a 433 Silva gets into any of the two threes 95% of the time for me.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby AntMcfc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Original Dub wrote:
AntMcfc wrote:Spot on, this has been concerning me for months now. Silva, as harsh as this sounds, or as crazy as it might sound given his quality, needs to either be dropped or sold on when we come to rebuilding this side. He's not a central midfielder in a 433, he's not a wide player in a 442/4231 and personally, I don't want him playing #10 in the long run either.

Comparisons to Modric are horrible. Modric is the best central midfielder in the world at the moment, Silva is nothing like that. Two totally different roles in two totally different areas of the pitch.

No. Modric isn't the best central midfielder in the world.

Don't be silly.

Who is then? You don't know who you're arguing with here, your opinion will mean very little to me because I know I'm right.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby freshie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:25 pm

AntMcfc wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
AntMcfc wrote:Spot on, this has been concerning me for months now. Silva, as harsh as this sounds, or as crazy as it might sound given his quality, needs to either be dropped or sold on when we come to rebuilding this side. He's not a central midfielder in a 433, he's not a wide player in a 442/4231 and personally, I don't want him playing #10 in the long run either.

Comparisons to Modric are horrible. Modric is the best central midfielder in the world at the moment, Silva is nothing like that. Two totally different roles in two totally different areas of the pitch.

Don't be silly.

Who is then? You don't know who you're arguing with here, your opinion will mean very little to me because I know I'm right.

He does - he's arguing with a cunt. A menstruating cunt with a rag inside it.
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:11 pm

AntMcfc wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Don't be silly.

Ok mate, fess up, what's the deal here? I don't think you are a rag, but what the fuck are you doing with posts like this if not simply to antagonise people. Unless you're actually mentally Ill It's trolling pure and simple, and it adds nothing of any value to the board.

So what's the deal? Why are you on a public forum for debate if you know you're right and other people's' opinions don't count?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:46 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
AntMcfc wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Don't be silly.

Ok mate, fess up, what's the deal here? I don't think you are a rag, but what the fuck are you doing with posts like this if not simply to antagonise people. Unless you're actually mentally Ill It's trolling pure and simple, and it adds nothing of any value to the board.

So what's the deal? Why are you on a public forum for debate if you know you're right and other people's' opinions don't count?

He must be a distant relative of LookMuM.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby PrezIke » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:17 am

AntMcfc wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Don't be silly.

bobby, is that you?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum