Sergio Aguero

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Sergio Aguero

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:31 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
blues2win wrote:If I had to pick one thing that has caused our shocking new year slump it would be Sergio's injury. He was on fire before that. Remember the two brilliant goals against Bayern Mumich? Since he came back he hasn't fully found his form although he hit the post last night and should have scored a tap in if Dzeko had passed square. Sergio priceless. For everything else there's Visa or MasterCard.

How do you explain that the best and most successful spell we've had this season was (for the most part) without Sergio on the pitch during December?

I'd have to agree with your point. He's a great goalscorer, no doubt at all about that, but our entire way of playing both under Pellegrini and Mancini renders him almost redundant for much of the game.

Imagine what he could actually do in a team built around him and a tactic to exploit his ability. If we aren't going to bother, personally I'd cash in while we can
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:03 pm

He does suit this style.

He isn't playing well & is two yards slower than he was pre injury. When he reaches 100% he will score shitloads then get injured again.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
blues2win wrote:If I had to pick one thing that has caused our shocking new year slump it would be Sergio's injury. He was on fire before that. Remember the two brilliant goals against Bayern Mumich? Since he came back he hasn't fully found his form although he hit the post last night and should have scored a tap in if Dzeko had passed square. Sergio priceless. For everything else there's Visa or MasterCard.

How do you explain that the best and most successful spell we've had this season was (for the most part) without Sergio on the pitch during December?

That spell dispelled the theory that we're a 1 man team. The team played well without Kun as they had to find goals from others (step up Silva) which until then had come mostly from him. The problem is that since he's came back and the team is depending on him for goals, he has not delivered. Obviously he'll bounce back as he is quality (hope that will happen on the weekend). As he's not scoring and we're not winning lately,the 1 man team theorist will now raise their heads again (maybe justifiably ?).
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:28 pm

jovetic is in better form than sergio. or at least he was until pelle hung him out to dry for fuck all reason.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:jovetic is in better form than sergio. or at least he was until pelle hung him out to dry for fuck all reason.

agree with this too

we were level on fucking points with Chelsea when him AND KOMPS were injured. we had many injuries and dug in with milner/silver up front.

a new dimension, possession but with a cutting edge coming from those you wouldn't expect.

we bring back aguero, komps, dzeko and turn to shite. why did komps deserve to come back? I don't fucking know but its underved. Mangala is in danger of becoming a scapegoat for a 'shit signing'.

Yaya and Nasri are two gutless cunts who both have ducked free kicks in big games. Thanks for the memories but they shouldn't be involved where we can get away with it.

For me, Jove gives more than all 11 on the pitch last night.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby World Toure » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:43 pm

Aguero and Bony are the wave of the future. They worked well enough together since bony is good at holding the ball and dzeko...well he's dzeko.
World Toure
Negouai's Red Cards

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:53 pm

World Toure wrote:Aguero and Bony are the wave of the future. They worked well enough together since bony is good at holding the ball and dzeko...well he's dzeko.

If you define the future as...maybe the next 18 mos, then....thanks.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby World Toure » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:59 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
World Toure wrote:Aguero and Bony are the wave of the future. They worked well enough together since bony is good at holding the ball and dzeko...well he's dzeko.

Cheers

I'll take 18 months tho i think it could last longer still. Honestly if we had dynamic wing play consistently we'd be instantly better....navas crosses worse than I do.
World Toure
Negouai's Red Cards

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:09 pm

World Toure wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

I'll take 18 months tho i think it could last longer still. Honestly if we had dynamic wing play consistently we'd be instantly better....navas crosses worse than I do.

He hits a lot of crosses though, exactly what many of us were asking for a couple of seasons ago. And a number of them are convertable, every single game. A striker who can be arsed getting across the near post will get a couple of chances per game.

Milner came on last night & put one straight through the six yard box. Nobody even remotely close to it.

The Goat would have got a couple of tap ins last night.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:36 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:He does suit this style.

He isn't playing well & is two yards slower than he was pre injury. When he reaches 100% he will score shitloads then get injured again.

Having to play back to goal whilst we tippy tippy around the edge of the box? Come on man, that's bollocks. Aguero is decent with the ball at his feet to run past a man and force a shot in, and he is a good poacher of the ball in the area. He is also generally pretty awful as a strike partner.

He is absolutely not a player who thrives on receiving the ball with back to goal, or with 5 defenders lined up between him (generally stood on the 18 yard line) and the goalkeeper.

We simply don't penetrate the oppositions box enough for him to thrive in the box, and to compound that we don't stand off enough to give him the space he would need to do damage outside the box. Aguero has also never yet struck up a useful partnership with any of his partners.

All of which is why I still advocate pushing silva further up front.

Sounds churlish given his record earlier in the season, but there is lots more to come from him, and we need to play to his strengths to get the best out of him
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:07 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:

Having to play back to goal whilst we tippy tippy around the edge of the box? Come on man, that's bollocks. Aguero is decent with the ball at his feet to run past a man and force a shot in, and he is a good poacher of the ball in the area. He is also generally pretty awful as a strike partner.

He is absolutely not a player who thrives on receiving the ball with back to goal, or with 5 defenders lined up between him (generally stood on the 18 yard line) and the goalkeeper.

We simply don't penetrate the oppositions box enough for him to thrive in the box, and to compound that we don't stand off enough to give him the space he would need to do damage outside the box. Aguero has also never yet struck up a useful partnership with any of his partners.

Sounds churlish given his record earlier in the season, but there is lots more to come from him, and we need to play to his strengths to get the best out of him

Not even Negredo ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Not even Negredo ??

Was that a 'partnership', or was it like with Dzeko, that both of them just happened to score plenty of goals in a spell where they happened to start together? I don't know, just throwing it out there, but I'd expect a partnership would be defined by strikers laying on chances and assists for other strikers, I don't know the stats, but I'd be surprised if they were significant.

Edit:

In fact Aguero's assist tally is better this season than last season, and by November 2013, Aguero and Negredo had only assisted each other a total of twice and scored only 12 goals whilst they were on the pitch together, which considering we were scored an average of 3.8 goals a game when they were playing at that point of the season is not that impressive. In contrast by that time RVP/Rooney had assisted each other 4 times despite a goals per game average of only 1.7
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Cit.revenge » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:51 am

Aguero is best player City have . It s not hes foult that Yaya and Silva and Nasri wait all defense to set up on 20 yards from goal and passing until they fuck up . And even in that play he still hit the post andtry something. Dzeko was awful ! Never watch him play so bad . He play bad before but that was worst performance I ever see from him. I was saying 2 years ago we should sell Edin and buy faster player and FFS play faster . Yaya was slow before in build up , but now hes slow and not good as it was before. In defense hes not tere at all. But it must be said against Palaca we have no luck , They score 2 from few shots and one was offside. We did not get stonewall peno and miss far to many . Silva is one of the best midfilder in world with worst finish I think. Team needs new blood and Kun is not player we need to sell.
Last edited by Cit.revenge on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:52 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Not even Negredo ??

Was that a 'partnership', or was it like with Dzeko, that both of them just happened to score plenty of goals in a spell where they happened to start together? I don't know, just throwing it out there, but I'd expect a partnership would be defined by strikers laying on chances and assists for other strikers, I don't know the stats, but I'd be surprised if they were significant.

Edit:

In fact Aguero's assist tally is better this season than last season, and by November 2013, Aguero and Negredo had only assisted each other a total of twice and scored only 12 goals whilst they were on the pitch together, which considering we were scored an average of 3.8 goals a game when they were playing at that point of the season is not that impressive. In contrast by that time RVP/Rooney had assisted each other 4 times despite a goals per game average of only 1.7

You're being a bit selective with your stats there. They scored 12 in 484 minutes together or a goal every 40 minutes in that time frame you're referring to.

They had the makings of a formidable partnership, according to one article I read at the time if they had played every minute together in the PL they were on target to score 60 goals between them over 38 games.

You also didn't include the cup games or Europe so we're not getting the full picture.

Stats aside, they complimented each other very well, Negredo did the dirty work, playing outside the box with his back to goal while Aguero thrived in the space this created for him up front.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:12 am

You're being a bit selective with your stats there. They scored 12 in 484 minutes together or a goal every 40 minutes in that time frame you're referring to.

They had the makings of a formidable partnership, according to one article I read at the time if they had played every minute together in the PL they were on target to score 60 goals between them over 38 games.

You also didn't include the cup games or Europe so we're not getting the full picture.

Stats aside, they complimented each other very well, Negredo did the dirty work, playing outside the box with his back to goal while Aguero thrived in the space this created for him up front.

And they create space and opportunities for others when working like that. So it's not only their goal tally that's reflective of whether or not their partnership was effective.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:42 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Not even Negredo ??

Edit:

Tell me, how did that partnership work in the 2nd half of the season? You can't claim I'm being selective when the stats I quoted were at the height of their good run, we all know what happened after that. And you also can't start telling us about how many they'd have scored if they'd played every minute of every game, as they didn't and that would never happen anyway because Aguero is made of glass.

I just think they were both on form, as was the whole team at the time, NOT that they were a particularly great partnership.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:06 pm

They started just two games together following our 6-3 demolition of Arsenal in December.

I can claim you're being selective because you didn't say how many games they'd played together or how many minutes even yet you compared them to Rooney/RVP at that stage, that is selective.

Btw Aguero and Forlan was a pretty good partnership.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:They started just two games together following our 6-3 demolition of Arsenal in December.

I can claim you're being selective because you didn't say how many games they'd played together or how many minutes even yet you compared them to Rooney/RVP at that stage, that is selective.

Btw Aguero and Forlan was a pretty good partnership.

They still had less assists per minute than both the rag pair and the liverpool pair. But isn't the point about them just starting two games together after that rather the point? If they aren't fit or in form to play together much, it can hardly be described as a great partnership can it?

Anyway, don't want to trash the little feller, just pointing out that he doesn't seem to actually help anyone else on the pitch very often. Not really his fault, as we really don't get the ball into the danger zone often enough for him, he feeds off scraps
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:57 pm

He's a greedy cunt.

But it's daft to talk about him playing with his back to goal when most teams play 10 at the back.

We are too good for most teams in the Premier League to compete with & they have to think of another plan in order to beat us. If they come out, Aguero gets to run at them. Right now, he only runs at them 70% because he's mentally disturbed by injuries. When he reaches 100% he will average a goal a game, then get injured.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wooders » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:54 am

We would be crazy to get rid of one of the best strikers in the world - however, we need to rely in him less and be confident enough to let him get back into form slowly
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum