Pride in Battle

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What is the correct Spelling?

Superbia In Proelia
38%
Superbia In Proelio
52%
I have no idea!
10%

Total votes : 29

Pride in Battle

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:21 am

OK I would like to know how many of you know the latin for it, I know most of you will do, but I think there may be many like this guy!

Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Pride in Battle

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:40 am

I put the top one but having looked closer at the badge the a in superbia compared to the proeli..... It's actualt an O.

My brother learnt Latin in school, which I always thought was pretty pointless, that said the school was run by salesian priests.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:46 am

Isn't proelia the plural of proelio?

Hence the tat reads 'pride in battles'. Works just as well really.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby sheblue » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:01 pm

not great with the old latin these days myself, but its a nice tattoo...
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Dameerto » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:58 pm

CTID Hants wrote:I put the top one but having looked closer at the badge the a in superbia compared to the proeli..... It's actualt an O.

My brother learnt Latin in school, which I always thought was pretty pointless, that said the school was run by salesian priests.

The comprehensive school I attended used to be a Grammar school several decades before, and some habbits carried over - one of them was Latin lesssons, so I ended up opting for a Latin 'o' level. (I quite enjoyed it at the time).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:57 pm

sheblue wrote:not great with the old latin these days myself, but its a nice tattoo...

It's an absolute bollox tat unless some cunt has done it in prison.

My belief about tats is that you put artwork on your body. The propensity for people to put suite cursive writing on themselves is just criminal.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:03 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Isn't proelia the plural of proelio?

Hence the tat reads 'pride in battles'. Works just as well really.

Racking my brains to remember some of the Latin I learned at school and I seem to recall that the word battle is 'proelium' (same declension as 'bellum') and that 'in battle' then ought to be 'in proelium'. However, the City motto seems to be using either the dative or the ablative case ('proelio') so the plural of those ought to be 'proeliis'.

Having said all that, I wouldn't put any money on my old, fading memory being correct and, depending on the case used, you could well be right about 'proelia' being a plural.

At the end of the day, City will have obtained a Latin expert to devise the motto, so what I'm saying is probably 100% garbage and I've now no idea why I even posted these thoughts, so just ignore me.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Who the fuck learns latin at school? I was made to study French, German and Spanish but never understood why I would holiday outside of Spain!

Twats!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:06 am

Aha ha.

proelium means battle.

in proelio means in battle. It is in plus the ablative form, used to describe situations. in is also used with the accusative when motion/change of state is involved, eg. walk into a room, but that is not the case here. So the ablative it is.

So the bloke has got it wrong. Shame that.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:08 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Who the fuck learns latin at school? I was made to study French, German and Spanish but never understood why I would holiday outside of Spain!

Twats!

I did. It was very interesting. And useful too, given the other stuff I wanted to study.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:14 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Who the fuck learns latin at school? I was made to study French, German and Spanish but never understood why I would holiday outside of Spain!

Twats!

I have GCSEs in Spanish and Welsh, but my Latin is better than either (I can read grave inscriptions and bits and bobs on pieces of art). However, my 'holiday' Spanish and Welsh are perfectly fine, largely because I'd never dream of conversing with the locals in either country.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Mase » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:30 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:

Twats!

I have GCSEs in Spanish and Welsh, but my Latin is better than either (I can read grave inscriptions and bits and bobs on pieces of art). However, my 'holiday' Spanish and Welsh are perfectly fine, largely because I'd never dream of conversing with the locals in either country.

Be honest, when you saw that tattoo did you shit your pants and call 999 straight away?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:03 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:

Twats!

I did. It was very interesting. And useful too, given the other stuff I wanted to study.

I wish I'd learned Latin.

I'm more likely to spend time with dead Romans than with the French.

From the Guardian: Manchester City's motto is "Superbia in proelia," which as every Latin scholar knows means "Pride in battle"

Mail: Modern versions include the Latin motto ‘Superbia in Proelio’

Answers.com: What is the Manchester City Latin motto and what does it mean? 'Superbia in Praelia' it means 'Pride in Battle'.

Famouslogos.net : Manchester City’s motto, “Superbia in proelia” is mentioned on the bottom of the logo, which is a Latin word meaning “Pride in battle”.

Footymad.com: The latin wording on the badge (Superbia in Proelia) merely translates as ..... 'Pride in Battle'.

From the OS: 1997 City unveil a new club badge. This new design features the Latin motto “Superbia in proelio” meaning ‘Pride in battle’.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:24 am

Official club crest:
The final letter looks more like the first 'o' in 'ProeliX' than the 'a' in Superbia'
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Dameerto » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:43 pm

Looks like an o to me, I can see why it would be taken to be an a on first glance though.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Romanus eunt domus
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Romanus eunt domus

Romani ite domum.
Now write it out one hundred times.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:03 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

Romani ite domum.

Our Latin teacher was a right so-and-so and had a different way of rectifying any errors.

In class, if he asked anyone to translate a phrase, or whatever, out loud and they got it wrong, he used to stand above them and slap the palm of his hand down, repeatedly, on the top of their heads whilst eyeballing everyone in the class and telling them 'ad nauseam' where the miscreant had gone astray.

One day, one lad was receiving this treatment and as the Latin teacher's hand was descending yet again to make contact with his skull, the idiot stuck his fountain pen in the air and the Latin teacher's hand was duly and painfully speared, much to the amusement of the class........

I got six strokes of the cane from the headmaster, three on each hand, for that little ploy.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Romani ite domum.

Our Latin teacher was a right so-and-so and had a different way of rectifying any errors.

In class, if he asked anyone to translate a phrase, or whatever, out loud and they got it wrong, he used to stand above them and slap the palm of his hand down, repeatedly, on the top of their heads whilst eyeballing everyone in the class and telling them 'ad nauseam' where the miscreant had gone astray.

One day, one lad was receiving this treatment and as the Latin teacher's hand was descending yet again to make contact with his skull, the idiot stuck his fountain pen in the air and the Latin teacher's hand was duly and painfully speared, much to the amusement of the class........

I got six strokes of the cane from the headmaster, three on each hand, for that little ploy.

We had an English teacher that used to do that with a book.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby MilnersJaw » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:52 am

I want to learn polish so I can tell my neighbours to stop taking jobs I could be doing.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum