Jetro Willems

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Jetro Willems

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:My, how far have we come, 'Real and Man City Target .......'.

Absolutely.

The other day, I dug out an old City mug I had and which was manufactured in 2002. I'm sure we've all got them in some format or other.

On this particular issue, the main caption says "Manchester City Supporters MUG" with the word 'mug' in very large, bold letters. Just under that, the 'operating instructions' state :- "Only to be used when in the Premier League i.e. every other year".

On the sides there are pictures of tables with two legs shorter than the others with the heading "Sliding down the table".

Finally, on the insides of the mug, at the very bottom, the wording says "You're not drinking any more".

Only a little thing really, but it made me smile and, as you say Beefy, just shows how far we've come.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby twosips » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Scatman wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Zabs needs a good rest.

Guess what in the summer....he's not getting one as there is a Copa America.

I'm worried about him.

He's been fucking rubbish this season. I don't think it's been appreciated just how bad he's been. Notwithstanding some of the skinnings he's had, he's out of position all the time; not getting across to cover next to the cb. Even v West Brom, he was miles out of position. It's mental as well as physical fatigue. His mind isn't switched on.

Well if the Copa America is going to affect him next year like the WC did this year, and it probably will, then hows about we get shut of him while he's still worth something? Legend and all that, but he's 31 and his value/usefulness will only diminish after this summer.

For the money we'd get (£10m at very max) i'd rather keep him around for the experience. Same way Ferguson kept Scholes/Giggs etc to pass over the baton adn all that. Same thing Terry and Lampard have done/did for Chelsea. Zaba is properly versed in Man City lore now and it'll be players like him that teach the likes of Angelino and Maffeo have to be a part of this club. If it was someone like Clichy then yeah, maybe, but Zaba's more important than that.

We just need to keep an eye on him and be wary if he shows dodgy signs and then if so take him out of the limelight. He deserves another crack at it.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:30 pm

twosips wrote:
Scatman wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Zabs needs a good rest.

Guess what in the summer....he's not getting one as there is a Copa America.

I'm worried about him.

He's been fucking rubbish this season. I don't think it's been appreciated just how bad he's been. Notwithstanding some of the skinnings he's had, he's out of position all the time; not getting across to cover next to the cb. Even v West Brom, he was miles out of position. It's mental as well as physical fatigue. His mind isn't switched on.

Well if the Copa America is going to affect him next year like the WC did this year, and it probably will, then hows about we get shut of him while he's still worth something? Legend and all that, but he's 31 and his value/usefulness will only diminish after this summer.

For the money we'd get (£10m at very max) i'd rather keep him around for the experience. Same way Ferguson kept Scholes/Giggs etc to pass over the baton adn all that. Same thing Terry and Lampard have done/did for Chelsea. Zaba is properly versed in Man City lore now and it'll be players like him that teach the likes of Angelino and Maffeo have to be a part of this club. If it was someone like Clichy then yeah, maybe, but Zaba's more important than that.

We just need to keep an eye on him and be wary if he shows dodgy signs and then if so take him out of the limelight. He deserves another crack at it.

Which is exactly the same reason why I can't understand some people's attitude to Vinny. Not withstanding his form being off, you don't just ditch that kind of club man without having a very good reason.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Haven't you been listening iwasthere? Vinnie single handedly cost the team ( I know that's a paradox but what does that matter? ) the title this season. How good a reason do you want?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:39 pm

the dutch started to give their kids 'english' names during the 80s
it's weird... especially when they fuck it up by spelling them phonetically
they can't pronounce 'th'
when i lived there they called me 'met chew' (matthew)

At least they speak another language and can use that as an excuse. When I was in New Zeeland I suddenly turned into Mähjrtn (Martin).
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:42 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Haven't you been listening iwasthere? Vinnie single handedly cost the team ( I know that's a paradox but what does that matter? ) the title this season. How good a reason do you want?

I blame Kompany.

Gone fishing!
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Anyone seen how Greg Leigh's been doing at Crewe? Obviously lower standard but probably better than Angelino's been playing against. Will be interesting to see which route is the best way for all the youngsters - lower league or EDS
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby twosips » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Anyone seen how Greg Leigh's been doing at Crewe? Obviously lower standard but probably better than Angelino's been playing against. Will be interesting to see which route is the best way for all the youngsters - lower league or EDS

It'll always be circumstantial I think.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:23 pm

Crewe are very happy with him I believe. I thought he looked a decent prospect as a potentially fairly solid fullback. Not a worldbeater or a creative star but maybe someone who could do a job. Loads of the homegrown players the rags used over the years, were mainly there just to keep the best players fresh for the big games.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:03 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Crewe are very happy with him I believe. I thought he looked a decent prospect as a potentially fairly solid fullback. Not a worldbeater or a creative star but maybe someone who could do a job. Loads of the homegrown players the rags used over the years, were mainly there just to keep the best players fresh for the big games.

Crewe fans I spoke to recently suggested he is playing at the right level for him at Crewe.If I had a choice of a left back for a game tomorrow it would be Angelino before Leigh.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Crewe are very happy with him I believe. I thought he looked a decent prospect as a potentially fairly solid fullback. Not a worldbeater or a creative star but maybe someone who could do a job. Loads of the homegrown players the rags used over the years, were mainly there just to keep the best players fresh for the big games.

Crewe fans I spoke to recently suggested he is playing at the right level for him at Crewe.If I had a choice of a left back for a game tomorrow it would be Angelino before Leigh.

I imagine he would be a fair bit better, but I would like to see Greg Leigh given a bit more time with the first team pre season, as I didn't think he was that far off when he got a brief chance last season.

Greg Dyke is probably right that there are a load of players who could be playing for Premier League clubs but don't get the chance to show it & it could be the case that Greg Leigh is one. Maybe Facey is another.

There is a space for a few 'bread & butter' type homegrown players in our squad I think. They could save us having to sign more Sagnas, Maicons, Sinclairs & Pizarros just to fill the numbers of squad places.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:37 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

I imagine he would be a fair bit better, but I would like to see Greg Leigh given a bit more time with the first team pre season, as I didn't think he was that far off when he got a brief chance last season.

Greg Dyke is probably right that there are a load of players who could be playing for Premier League clubs but don't get the chance to show it & it could be the case that Greg Leigh is one. Maybe Facey is another.

There is a space for a few 'bread & butter' type homegrown players in our squad I think. They could save us having to sign more Sagnas, Maicons, Sinclairs & Pizarros just to fill the numbers of squad places.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I don't think I agree re Leigh. I like him as a character but don't think he has a chance at premiership level and would be a liability if thrown into our first team squad. I still get the feeling Sagna was brought in to fill a gap for a couple of years while Maffeo and Angelino got some more experience under their belts as well as getting to 19 years old.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:07 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I don't think I agree re Leigh. I like him as a character but don't think he has a chance at premiership level and would be a liability if thrown into our first team squad. I still get the feeling Sagna was brought in to fill a gap for a couple of years while Maffeo and Angelino got some more experience under their belts as well as getting to 19 years old.

I thought that might be the case with several of our recent signings; to bring in a higher percentage of mid priced & older players for a few years, whilst we find out which of the academy players are looking like they can solve the long term positions.

If one or two of the 'big' senior players move on over the next couple of years as well, it leaves a nice space for a couple of big younger signings to come in & a group to move up from the Academy, lowering the age average whilst also increasing the quality of the squad.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Surely the purpose of the academy in the main is to churn out a number of players who in reality are "squad filler". The likes of Rodwell, Sinclair, Sagna, Kolarov, Navas and Fernando even wouldn't need to be signed with a steady stream from the academy. This in turn will save hugely on costs which will go towards the "crack players". The likes of Leigh may or may not be that type of player for us. But we'll get £500/750k for him, along with four or five others on a yearly basis. That would pay for a good chunk of the academy expenses. Also the other four or five will form part of our squad. Kind of like Brown, Fletcher, o'Shea, Neville (P) did for the rags. Shelvey at the dippers. The sort of guys who aren't good enough for the biggest games but slot nicely in to the games where the squad is rotated.

If the academy once in a while produces a genuine world class talent, then fantastic. That's the dream, but that might happen only one or twice a decade. Absolutely nothing wrong in churning out good to half decent players that are squad fillers, it saves money and allows us to focus better on other transfer targets. Out of the current twenty or twenty five guys that we regularly hear about, realistically how many will be genuine world class and save us a fortune? One? Two? How many are likely to be as competent as a lot of our squad? 8/9 from the sounds of it
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:48 am

nottsblue wrote:Surely the purpose of the academy in the main is to churn out a number of players who in reality are "squad filler". The likes of Rodwell, Sinclair, Sagna, Kolarov, Navas and Fernando even wouldn't need to be signed with a steady stream from the academy. This in turn will save hugely on costs which will go towards the "crack players". The likes of Leigh may or may not be that type of player for us. But we'll get £500/750k for him, along with four or five others on a yearly basis. That would pay for a good chunk of the academy expenses. Also the other four or five will form part of our squad. Kind of like Brown, Fletcher, o'Shea, Neville (P) did for the rags. Shelvey at the dippers. The sort of guys who aren't good enough for the biggest games but slot nicely in to the games where the squad is rotated.

If the academy once in a while produces a genuine world class talent, then fantastic. That's the dream, but that might happen only one or twice a decade. Absolutely nothing wrong in churning out good to half decent players that are squad fillers, it saves money and allows us to focus better on other transfer targets. Out of the current twenty or twenty five guys that we regularly hear about, realistically how many will be genuine world class and save us a fortune? One? Two? How many are likely to be as competent as a lot of our squad? 8/9 from the sounds of it

Depends on how they get through the next phase.

I would say we have about ten players amongst City's youngsters who are probably as good in their positions, as our current best players were at the same age, or to put it more accurately from personal experience; as good as Ryan Wilson or Scholes were when I saw them & better than Neville. Miles better than Danny Wellbeck & infinitely better than Johnny Evans.

But it was more than just ability that got the most successful of those players through. I don't know much about the personaities of these lads. I know they work hard though, & Brandon Barker is as good as Giggs was, at playing football. Whether he has the same drive; no idea.

It's possible all will fail or all will make it.

Perhaps some will drop a level, & end up as squad players, but we also have a few lesser lights who look good enough to be potential squad players imo.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Pity, not least as he played for the local team my lad plays for and it'd be great to show him someone in a City shirt who'd been where he is. Still, making it at any professional level is a fantastic achievement & I just hope they can get through it without a prison sentence...
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:44 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:

Pity, not least as he played for the local team my lad plays for and it'd be great to show him someone in a City shirt who'd been where he is. Still, making it at any professional level is a fantastic achievement & I just hope they can get through it without a prison sentence...

Sale Utd? I was a coach for 10 years at the club. How old is your lad?
Point your lad in the direction of Shay Facey too, also a Sale Utd lad.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:50 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Haven't you been listening iwasthere? Vinnie single handedly cost the team ( I know that's a paradox but what does that matter? ) the title this season. How good a reason do you want?

You obviously haven't been watching matches with Captain wonderful playing since coming back...............and yes , its not an opinion , its a fuckign fact that his individual errors have cost us points.......lots of points - hence , we have probably fucked up the chance to win the prem.

He isn't bothered by criticism though , in fact , he is quoted as saying he laughs at him being criticized and it doesn't bother him a jot.

Fucking TiT.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:32 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

You obviously haven't been watching matches with Captain wonderful playing since coming back...............and yes , its not an opinion , its a fuckign fact that his individual errors have cost us points.......lots of points - hence , we have probably fucked up the chance to win the prem.

He isn't bothered by criticism though , in fact , he is quoted as saying he laughs at him being criticized and it doesn't bother him a jot.

Fucking TiT.

Proper unicunt.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:22 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Fucking TiT.

Proper unicunt.

Cheers

Who? Vinnie or Carl?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum