Jetro Willems

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Jetro Willems

Postby Saul Goodman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Anyone watch Dutch football and/or know about this kid?
With Kolarov looking like hes on his way out this summer we'd be in need of a new left back.

PSV Eindhoven left back Jetro Willems is on the radar of both Real Madrid and Manchester City.

VI are reporting that representatives from both clubs were present at De Kuip on Sunday to watch the 20-year-old in action during PSV’s 2-1 defeat to Feyenoord.

Willems has been in terrific form for Eredivisie leaders PSV this season, and currently tops the leagues assist charts with eleven, whilst he has also scored twice in 35 appearances.

PSV signed Willems from Sparta Rotterdam in 2011, with the defender making 121 appearances for the Eindhoven club. Willems could add to his eleven Netherlands caps over the next week after being named in Guus Hiddink’s squad to face Turkey and Spain.

Its not the first time Willems has been linked to big clubs with Manchester United heavily rumoured to be interested in the Rotterdam born star when he was selected in the Netherlandd squad for Euro 2012, but a move never materialised.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Re: Jetro Willems

Postby twosips » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:35 pm

They've made that name up right?
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Dameerto » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:39 pm

If he played in England he would have to change it by deed poll to Jethro Williams.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:04 pm

the dutch started to give their kids 'english' names during the 80s
it's weird... especially when they fuck it up by spelling them phonetically
they can't pronounce 'th'
when i lived there they called me 'met chew' (matthew)
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:16 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:the dutch started to give their kids 'english' names during the 80s
it's weird... especially when they fuck it up by spelling them phonetically
they can't pronounce 'th'
when i lived there they called me 'met chew' (matthew)

How did they turn Nigel into Matthew? Whatever they smoke, it's not good for them
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:48 pm

We have an 18 year old left back coming through (Angelino) so I would not want his position blocked by a dutch player even if he is decent
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:We have an 18 year old left back coming through (Angelino) so I would not want his position blocked by a dutch player even if he is decent

Arguably our best player currently in the EDS too.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:42 pm

twosips wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:We have an 18 year old left back coming through (Angelino) so I would not want his position blocked by a dutch player even if he is decent

Unless they are planning on dumping both the current incumbents. But Angelino isn't the most solid of defenders, & Willems can't defend at all, so it would be a fair ol risk.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wooders » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Sack both of current ones off and get Bertrand and this kid from the eds in (ok maybe hold onto clichy just in case)
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:10 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
twosips wrote:

Unless they are planning on dumping both the current incumbents. But Angelino isn't the most solid of defenders, & Willems can't defend at all, so it would be a fair ol risk.

Not much difference then to what we've already got in Clichy and Kolarov ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:17 pm

My, how far have we come, 'Real and Man City Target .......'.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
twosips wrote:

Clichy and Kolorov play the same side.
How feasible would it be to keep Clichy and Zabaletta and promote Angelino and Maffeo. Denayer coming back plus possibly Boyata. Would it be enough cover with the others we have, for our defense, or do we still need to buy. I'd rather they invested in the midfield.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Saul Goodman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:51 pm

Wooders wrote:Sack both of current ones off and get Bertrand and this kid from the eds in (ok maybe hold onto clichy just in case)

We've gotta be keeping Clichy for the homegrown aspect right? Plus, over the entire season this far he's been good
Saul Goodman

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Wooders » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:59 am

Saul Goodman wrote:
Wooders wrote:Sack both of current ones off and get Bertrand and this kid from the eds in (ok maybe hold onto clichy just in case)

We've gotta be keeping Clichy for the homegrown aspect right? Plus, over the entire season this far he's been good

Presumably Matteo also qualifies as home grown - but yes I would suggest it would better to keep him another season at least and if we replace kolo with Bertrand then we're doubly safe - surprised more of us aren't up for him to solve our left back issue - I think he's a quality player and english to boot - perfect for us
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
twosips wrote:

Much faster going forward, & probably much better going forward, but it's the Dutch League so you can never be sure.

Probably even worse than Kolarov as a defender though. But fast & shit rather than just shit.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:55 pm

Wooders wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Presumably Matteo also qualifies as home grown - but yes I would suggest it would better to keep him another season at least and if we replace kolo with Bertrand then we're doubly safe - surprised more of us aren't up for him to solve our left back issue - I think he's a quality player and english to boot - perfect for us

If we assume both Kolarov & Clichy are going sooner rather than later, then it wouldn't be impossible to bring in a young fullback for one of them next season, then gradually phase out the other one during the course of the season, giving Angelino occasional games, then if Angelino looks the part, flirt the other one at the end of next season. Whether we feel that having two very young left backs is safe, is another matter.

Similarly, we could bring Maffeo into competition with Zaba & Sagna next season, & imo also consider Denayer as a possible for that spot. Then get rid of one of the older fullbacks at the end of next season. Non of Sagna, Zabaleta or Kolarov are good enough on this season's form, to be first choice at City imo. Zaba may come back strong next season. Then we'd have Zaba, Maffeo, & imo Denayer, as rb cover. But it's also possible Zaba may be finished as a top fullback. Hope not.

Willems doesn't really seem to make sense, but we keep being linked with attacking left backs, so it may be they feel we need one in order for the team to function properly.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Zabs needs a good rest.

Guess what in the summer....he's not getting one as there is a Copa America.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:22 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Zabs needs a good rest.

I'm worried about him.

He's been fucking rubbish this season. I don't think it's been appreciated just how bad he's been. Notwithstanding some of the skinnings he's had, he's out of position all the time; not getting across to cover next to the cb. Even v West Brom, he was miles out of position. It's mental as well as physical fatigue. His mind isn't switched on.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Moonchesteri » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Oh FFS with these internationals!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Scatman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I'm worried about him.

He's been fucking rubbish this season. I don't think it's been appreciated just how bad he's been. Notwithstanding some of the skinnings he's had, he's out of position all the time; not getting across to cover next to the cb. Even v West Brom, he was miles out of position. It's mental as well as physical fatigue. His mind isn't switched on.

Well if the Copa America is going to affect him next year like the WC did this year, and it probably will, then hows about we get shut of him while he's still worth something? Legend and all that, but he's 31 and his value/usefulness will only diminish after this summer.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum