The Last Hurrah - From The MEN

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Last Hurrah - From The MEN

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:57 am

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but is the writer trying to infer that it's the end of our journey and that the Rags and Arse will have surpassed us by next time we play? No mention of the 6-1?

Manchester City's greatest side braced for last hurrah at United

The April derby at Old Trafford is another crucial clash for Manuel Pellegrini's Blues - and City's inspirational spine.

By Samuel Luckhurst

It was the start of something special. Manchester City arrived at Old Trafford on February 10 2008 without a win at what some Blues unaffectionately have come to know as 'The Swamp' since Denis Law's backheel in 1974.

It's amazing what ending a hoodoo can do to a club. Darius Vassell and Benjani's goals, in a 2-1 win that flattered a gutless United, gave City a coveted domestic double over their city nemesis. Sven-Goran Eriksson might still have got the sack three months later, however his contribution to City is still felt at the club.

Although United embarked on a run of six wins in the next eight derbies, including four consecutive home games, City no longer entered the Old Trafford tunnel resigned to defeat.

They were undone by Michael Owen's 'Fergie time' winner in 2009 and Wayne Rooney's ingeniousness in 2011, however in both games there were obvious signs of progress for the nouveau riche Blues.

Sir Alex Ferguson knew it, too, judging by his ecstatic reaction to Owen's prod which won that madcap 4-3 classic.

Managers and players claim they don’t care about records. Players, teams and staff change so drastically in football, so why should they? In the current City squad, Joe Hart is the only survivor from that unseasonably warm win at United seven years ago.

And yet the 2008 impact of that victory inspired City’s greatest side.

The Blues have won their last three games at Old Trafford, scoring 10 and conceding just two.

Years after they lifted one hex at the ground, they have replaced it with another and now United's supporters, who used to treat the visit of City as a gimme in the 90s, are not as confident as they pass through the turnstiles on derby day.

City's team is laden with bogeymen for United. Yaya Toure has scored four against them, Edin Dzeko five and Sergio Aguero six. United have not beaten City with Vincent Kompany on the pitch since Rooney's audacious bicycle kick over four years ago.

Ahead of what promises to be a summer of transformation for City, the April 12 derby is perhaps their greatest side's last hurrah. By the time they travel to Crystal Palace a week on Monday, City could be fourth in the Premier League table and United are currently just two points behind them.

Until David Moyes was anointed in error by Ferguson, Manchester had never known a period of joint domestic hegemony, yet 2015 will be the first trophyless year for the city's clubs in a decade.

That, however, makes the season's second derby no less significant. City's top-four status is no longer secure and United have gained some momentum.

It could be the end of something special.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: The Last Hurrah - From The MEN

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:35 am

MEN being supportive of their local club once again...
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 am

I thought the 2-1 win flattered us to be honest and we were hanging on for dear life after Bejani's skilful shoulder. Maybe I was a bit pissed?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:54 am

a nothing article, must be a slow news week. All I got was, we are getting rid of some deadwood this summer so that deadwood wont be around for the next swamp game. No names provided, just a very broadly written column inch filler
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:18 am

A slow news day article, end of.

Nothing to report so write some bollocks on the upcoming derby.

Likely we will be 4th when we play on Monday night, but if we win at Palace we will be second and would extend the gap to 5th to at least 8 points assuming Arsenal beat Liverpool. Depends on the slant you want to put on it really.

With Chelsea still having to play Arsenal, Utd and Liverpool; Utd still having to play Us, Arsenal and Chelsea; Arsenal have to play Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd; Liverpool also still to face Arsenal and Chelsea I am quite certain I would prefer our run-in of fixtures to all those around us in the top 6. These seems to have not been mentioned by all the pundits - City blatantly have the far easier run-in which even if we almost shit ourselves, will still mean we can stumble into 4th spot at worst barring complete collapse.

Put it simple, at the very worst a top 4 finish is well within our compass, and these days even a "disasterous" season at City still brings Champions League qualification. A disasterous season at Utd brings 7th spot. Arf.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:42 am

Have we ever won the Wenger Trophy, I don't think we have?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:10 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Have we ever won the Wenger Trophy, I don't think we have?

Mentioned it in another thread
13/14 - 1st
12/13 - 2nd
11/12 - 1st
10/11 - 3rd

Assume 2nd or 3rd this season. By far and away the most consistent side over the last five years
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:17 am

All this is basically on the back of 1 result - Utds win at Liverpool, principally affected by Gerrards latest brain fart. Had Liverpool won that game Utd would currently sit outside the top 4 - they'd be in crisis and Van Gaal would revert from his current press anointed genius status back to the clot he's been for most of the season, serving up dire football despite having spent a gazillion pounds.

Small margins. If City were to beat Utd - obviously a possibility not considered by the Muen, not Phil McNulty at the BBC who has them beating is in his run-in - then it really would piss on a few chips.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:19 am

We'll hammer the fuckers, even if we lose all our other games. They're nothing better than shit on the sole of our shoe these days, we'll simply scrape them off.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 am

i want to pummel them 7-1, and 11 v 11.

That said...a jammy 2-1 win with the opener off Bony's shoulder would suit me just as well.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby sheblue » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:33 am

Hammer and pummel, you lads are over dosing on the optimistic pills.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:56 am

sheblue wrote:Hammer and pummel, you lads are over dosing on the optimistic pills.

Agreed. Its feasible that we can beat them but in our current funk - up and down like a whores drawers on a sailors payday - Id take a stubby 1-0 with a blatant handball goal from Bony that he catches and chucks into the net.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:26 pm

He seems to be implying the current squad will be broken up in the summer, that's what he seems to be referring to with 'last hurrah' - although that last part is a bit facetious.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby nottsblue » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:50 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:
sheblue wrote:Hammer and pummel, you lads are over dosing on the optimistic pills.

Agreed. Its feasible that we can beat them but in our current funk - up and down like a whores drawers on a sailors payday - Id take a stubby 1-0 with a blatant handball goal from Bony that he catches and chucks into the net.

Lol at the idea of Bony catching it and chucking it into the net. Preferably after punching deGayer
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:33 pm

We are all asking for big squad changes, and if big changes are made then this article is spot on. What's the issue?
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:47 pm

london blue 2 wrote:We are all asking for big squad changes, and if big changes are made then this article is spot on. What's the issue?

The tone. The historical lean of the media source involved.

I'm fine knowing I can be an asshole and that i habe some fatal flaws i like to expose at times but let some stranger tell me that instead of my own family? Fuck that. I'll take criticism from those I respect and love and who know me. This cunt doesn't know City.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Wooders » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:52 pm

He's right - we're all suspecting some big names will head for the door this summer and this article is just joining in
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Seems to me that they're bigging up the Rags (after spending how much?) while saying we're past it. Personally I think it's a City article trying to gee up the Rags, an opinion piece written by a smiling Rag believing this is the end of the Blue revolution.

Yes, we'll make changes but do Blues really think it's in our best interests to change the majority of the squad? Hopefully the hierarchy won't think the same as we could end up like the Rags, Spurs or Arse, fighting for the Wenger trophy every year.

Natural wastage, better replacements, that's what I want to see, keeping an excellent spine through and through.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:08 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Seems to me that they're bigging up the Rags (after spending how much?) while saying we're past it. Personally I think it's a City article trying to gee up the Rags, an opinion piece written by a smiling Rag believing this is the end of the Blue revolution.

Yes, we'll make changes but do Blues really think it's in our best interests to change the majority of the squad? Hopefully the hierarchy won't think the same as we could end up like the Rags, Spurs or Arse, fighting for the Wenger trophy every year.

Natural wastage, better replacements, that's what I want to see, keeping an excellent spine through and through.

I think we will see about 8 out....of which some of those like Micah, lamps and Sinclair are already gonzo.

I think the real two that I expect to leave are Jojo and Nasri. And possibly Yaya.

And I'm fine with all that.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:17 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Seems to me that they're bigging up the Rags (after spending how much?) while saying we're past it. Personally I think it's a City article trying to gee up the Rags, an opinion piece written by a smiling Rag believing this is the end of the Blue revolution.

I think we will see about 8 out....of which some of those like Micah, lamps and Sinclair are already gonzo.

I think the real two that I expect to leave are Jojo and Nasri. And possibly Yaya.

And I'm fine with all that.

Cheers

Same thoughts mate, only a couple of our first team will actually leave with a couple moving to the bench.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum