Premier League Is 'Now' Way Behind

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Premier League Is 'Now' Way Behind

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:52 am

Says, Neville, Scholes, Carragher etc ad nauseam.

Wheras of course, the Manchester Utd, Liverpool etc teams they played in, would have just dicked the likes of these Barca, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid sides, no trouble at all.

Messi ?? Ha. Utd laugh in the face of Messi.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: Premier League Is 'Now' Way Behind

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:55 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Says, Neville, Scholes, Carragher etc ad nauseam.

Wheras of course, the Manchester Utd, Liverpool etc teams they played in, would have just dicked the likes of these Barca, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid sides, no trouble at all.

As they lose two CL finals to him....

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.....

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Scatman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:03 am

DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

They got to the two CL finals that they lost to him.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:34 am

Cyclical business, and the draw too has an impact.

Chelsea and City would've advanced had they drawn Monaco, Porto and poss even Dortmund. In reality we were out last December when we drew Barca again.

Prem Lge hasn't got the best teams at the top end, but for over all competitiveness I wouldn't swap the Prem for any other. Barca/Real have 5 or 6 genuine knockover opponents each season; FC Smug have a plus 59 goal diff, and are 11 points clear yet again in the "Theres only 1 team can win it Liga" - wow, what entertainment. The Portuguese and French League teams - PSG aside - are in the last 8 of the CL due to their luck of the last 16 draw. Well done to them but getting past Basel and an Arsenal team who have an open top bus parade every time they get out of a CL group, is hardly a sign of a switch in power in European football.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby carolina-blue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:44 am

I do think there should be a January break though . We played a ridiculous amount of games at the same time Barca did not play at all . I am sure they can split the month with 1/2 the teams playing then 1/2 resting .or some compromise for the Almighty T V $$$$.
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:51 am

What a load of bollocks, football runs in cycles, English teams were very competitive in this comp a few years ago and were regular in the semis and final. The premier league is far more exciting to watch than any other European league and the one where you get the most upsets. I didn't enjoy our game last week but results like that happen in the premier, its not as common in La Liga and The Bundesliga. How uncompetitive is the German league?
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:31 pm

I believe part of the problem, if in fact there is one, is the competitiveness of the Premier League. Other clubs in certain countries can play Henshaw's Blind twenty-odd games a season and rest their players with complete impunity. None of that in the Premier League. I would love to see Barcelona (or Bayern or Real) transplanted into our league for a couple of years and see how they got on without the refs pandering to every whim and constant rest they get in their domestic competitions. Of which they have got one less, by the way.

For my part, I'd rather win the Premier League than the UEFA Corkscrew League anytime.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Time for some science to the furore

Barcelona played 16 league games, 2 Copa Del Rey games and 6 champions league games (24 games) up to their Winter break
City played 17 league games, 2 League Cup games and 6 champions league games (25 games) up to their Winter break

Winter Break!!! Barca had a league game on 20/12 and a game on 4th Jan. That's ONE Weekend without a fixture

During this 2 week period of a Winter break
City played 3 league games (Total is now at 28 games -v- 24 Games)

Post winter break including the champions league games between the two clubs (from 4th Jan)
Barcelona played 11 league games, 6 Copa Del Rey games and 2 champions league games (Total now 43 games)
City played 9 league games, 2 FA Cup games and 2 champions league games (Total now 41 games)

So this winter break has meant that Barcelona have played 6 more games than City in the period from the 4th Jan! The big Winter Break means they had one weekend without a game where we did the usual boxing day, new year fixtures.

Source
http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/fc-barcelona/2015/3/

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/manc ... ty/2015/3/
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby PrezIke » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:37 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... e-failings

What is undeniable is that there is a paradox at the heart of the Premier League’s money-spinning success. Just a month after unveiling a record-breaking £5.1bn domestic TV deal, the league is left without a representative in Europe’s premier club competition. The very things that have driven relentless growth in television income and the Premier League’s popularity around the world – intense competition, every game a real contest, the emphasis on speed over thought – have had arguably a negative impact when it comes to Europe. While the number of games may be comparable in leagues across Europe, their intensity is not.

There is also an economic factor. The relatively equitable distribution of television revenues between the 20 clubs has over time resulted in a competition where, on their day, one team can beat any other. And there is a tactical one too. Taken together, it is hard to avoid the conclusion English clubs, for whatever reasons, are finding it hard to adapt from the helter-skelter league programme, where every Sunday is Super, to the sometimes more cerebral demands of Europe.

In the season that Chelsea played Manchester United in an all-Premier League final, the top four finished 11 points clear of fifth-placed Everton. The gap from top to bottom was 76 points (albeit skewed by a woeful showing from Derby County). During that period of English dominance, the debate was about whether the top four or five were pulling away from the rest to an extent that was becoming embarrassing.

No longer. Premier League clubs barely have time to pause for breath, let alone prepare properly for the switch to the competing demands of European matches. André Schürrle, the former Chelsea winger now with Wolfsburg, was just the latest to this week suggest players in England are able to do little but recover between matches for much of the season.

Some say the prospect of a period of unceasing Premier League dominance was a factor in Uefa’s Michel Platini deciding to usher in the financial fair play era to rein them in. Since then, it might also be argued the financial dominance enjoyed by Barcelona and Real Madrid in Spain and Bayern Munich in Germany has enabled them to hoover up the very best talent.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:04 pm

The Premier League is consistently one of the top 4 or 5 in Europe and occasionally the best.

I think it's fair to say it hasn't been the best for the last four or five years. It may still be the most competitive internally, but the quality of its top teams has not been at the very top European level recently (or it's a top league but not a top, top league, as some idiot might say).

No doubt with all the money it has now, it will be the best again one day, and with luck City will be leading it.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:19 pm

Scatman wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

They got to the two CL finals that they lost to him.

And would have also lost to last season's Madrid team, the prior and this Bayern one, etc.

Point being that they are riding the wave now with...better players. End of story for me. Not very complex really.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:46 pm

RatBoy's a cunt!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby nottsblue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 pm

Which league has the most sponsorship money? It would appear TV companies and media outlets around the world are putting their hands in their pockets to shell out ever increasing revenues to broadcast the Premier League. Doubt any other league comes close and it wouldn't surprise me if the rights of the Premier League were worth more than Italy, France, Portugal, Netherlands, Germany and Spain combined.

The only thing 'way behind' is the old guard of rags and dippers.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:20 pm

We're at a point where the top clubs are going through transition. Chelsea are getting stronger while we are dropping off, none of us are quite at our best. At the same time, the likes of Real, Barca, Bayern & the Rags are still allowed to spend immense amounts on players while we are hampered by the restrictions set by those very same clubs.

We are not behind, we are way ahead as a league compared to the other leagues where they've either got a couple of teams who dominate or have succumb to corruption. We are way infront and the balance sheet proves it.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Aggressive Walkling » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:42 pm

"Way" behind?

As to the La Liga behemoths and Bayern, we don't have anyone of that level. Hard to argue that.

But in an overall sense if you matched table position v table position I think the EPL would clearly come out ahead of Germany everywhere from 2 on down. Spain from 3 on down (Arsenal v Athletico being close, mind.) France from 1 on down. Italy the same. Good grief, Serie A has Parma that were in danger of being expelled from the league last month and forfeiting the rest of their fixtures. And they'd have qualified for Europe this year if not for some usual Italian league financial bollocks.

The dippers (both colours) and Arse did us all no favours this year in Europe, obviously. Maureen neither, having a bit of a managerial shocker in that last match IMO (Having Ramires out wide to deal with Cavani and then leaving him there to absolutely zero effect for most of the match after Ibra was sent off and Cavani moved to the centre.) Imagine the abuse Pellers would get for doing something like that.
Aggressive Walkling
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Super Kevin Horlock

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:01 pm

I'm not convinced the bottom half of the PL is up to much. Yes, they can battle points from top PL teams sometimes, but it's impossible to tell how they would do in another league. When its good the PL can have 5/6 decent sides compared to say 2/3 in other leagues, but that is by no means the case every year, and this year probably zero. English teams are rarely good in defence, usually better in attack but without usually having the worlds' best forwards, and rely more on pace and hard work in the middle than technique and vision. Even foreign managers and players who come here seem to adopt this approach within half a season.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum