Can we buy a midfielder to help fern?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Can we buy a midfielder to help fern?

Postby Wilson Raine » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Denayer would not have survived in that last night. He is a great potential talent, but still a kid. He also plays Kompany's position, not Demichelis'. Not that he can't adapt, I'm sure, but it's another thing he will have to get used to as well as a huge leap in standard.

He should be 4th cb behind Vince, Mangala & Demi & then promoted as he settles.

I agree he will need time - look at his outings for celtic - boy done good as far as i can tell. Now you all are going to hate me for this but look back at the likes of Beckham, Scholes, Neville (G) - they had to start somewhere/sometime. It is time we had faith in EDS/Vieira and brought in some players - we need hunger/passion and players not just in it for the £s.
Wilson Raine
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Wilson Raine wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Denayer would not have survived in that last night. He is a great potential talent, but still a kid. He also plays Kompany's position, not Demichelis'. Not that he can't adapt, I'm sure, but it's another thing he will have to get used to as well as a huge leap in standard.

I agree he will need time - look at his outings for celtic - boy done good as far as i can tell. Now you all are going to hate me for this but look back at the likes of Beckham, Scholes, Neville (G) - they had to start somewhere/sometime. It is time we had faith in EDS/Vieira and brought in some players - we need hunger/passion and players not just in it for the £s.

Those players got one or two games at his age & became regulars a few years later.

Giggs was the one who started very young & stayed there.

A bunch should have started getting minutes this season.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:40 pm

I think the problem with Fernandinho is that we don't have a team that can play a 4-4-2/4-2-2-2. It takes a pretty poor midfield to not dominate that part of the pitch against us and the problem stems from having Nasri and Silva doing what they do, weaving in and out of gaps in behind the strikers. There is no real shape to the midfield and the fullbacks bomb forward to provide width and that's great except there is no-one behind them now and the sheer size of the ground two midfielders are being asked to cover is insane. Add to that we have Yaya who is not the quickest defensively, nor that enthusiastic about getting back and chasing down attacks that Fern gets left trying to herd a wave of players by himself, if they can make a pass it looks a lot of the time like they just bypassed our entire midfield without much effort, because they have and anyone would struggle to shut down everything on his own.

We need a midfielder with high energy, fast pace and no inclination to become a striker at the drop of a hat. Fernando could be that guy given a decent run in the side and clear instructions on what he is to do. Either that or we ship both Silva and Nasri and get some players who will maintain proper width and cut down the area the midfield has to cover if we lose the ball. I'd be inclined pull the trigger on both ideas and put Kolarov on the left wing, Navas on the right and have Yaya OR Silva OR Nasri sitting behind Aguero with the two of Fern1, Fern2 or Milner as the midfield pairing.

We have been flattering to deceive for too long and obviously in the last 12 games it's all started to come undone. The fact is we've played with square pegs in far too long and while a tough call, it's time to make the changes, get top 4 sorted for next season CL and start building the team around the style, as it appears Pellegrini is not about to change the style to suit the players.
Last edited by Slim on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wilson Raine » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:41 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Wilson Raine wrote:

Those players got one or two games at his age & became regulars a few years later.

Ok - good point - I bow to your superior knowledge (no sarcasm intended) - just makes my blood boil when people think the answer is spending millions (likes of bale, pogba, messi et all) when we got a a lot of talent just waiting in the wings
Wilson Raine
De Michelis's Pace

My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:50 pm

@ Slim, can't disagree with much of that apart from to say I don't think we have the players to play any other formation either, not at the standard Barca played last night.

That's not to say they are bad players, they are absolute top players imo, but the blend is all wrong & always has been. That goes for the strikers too but I fully expected Jovetic to be perfect for what we needed. As I would Bony now. I don't understand how City can't use them.

It should be easy.

We have to accept we can't just turn into Barca overnight though. That would have been in our first title winning season if it was going to happen with this group of players. We have been kidding ourselves since. We can keep some but not all.

Negredo early doors was the difference last season & boosted the team, or it would have been the same as this one.

We have to do this carefully, not try to jump before we can walk properly.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Wilson Raine wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Wilson Raine wrote:

Ok - good point - I bow to your superior knowledge (no sarcasm intended) - just makes my blood boil when people think the answer is spending millions (likes of bale, pogba, messi et all) when we got a a lot of talent just waiting in the wings

Bit of both is ideal though surely ?

Look to have the kids fully installed as first teame options by the time they are about 21-22 alongside a few superstars & solid top pros.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Barcelona didn't piss me off at all last night. It was away from home against a true giant in Europe with three of the best attacking players on the planet in their side. But the side I laid out should have taken Burnley to task, and should overwhelm WBA as well. I don't get angry losing to top teams, I get angry when we are throwing points away to sides we should be walking over. blah blah blah, no easy games in this league, FUCK OFF. Our players should be clocking up 60 points from the bottom ten teams every year and the year we don't, is because Sunderland pulled one out of their arse and got a draw, 18 wins/1 draw at home, remember that? That's how we should be playing, where a loss to a Burnley is an exception that comes up once every couple of years.

I am really surprised Pellers still has a job TBH, if you look at who we've dropped points to since he took over, it's hardly flattering.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:00 pm

The hitting the desk at the breeze of a gnats fart that pisses me off (apart from Nasri's assault). Fernandinho gave his fellow Countryman Neymar a right fucking earful for his dive that got Fern1 a booking. I hope he punches the ugly twat next week when he meets him for the international break.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:17 pm

Wilson Raine wrote:

Denayer might not have survived last night but who would? Yes he maybe 4th center back next season in theory but I think he should be given the chance to show he might actually be better than that. You never know he could shine from the start and become permanent.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Wilson Raine wrote:

Denayer might not have survived last night but who would? Yes he maybe 4th center back next season in theory but I think he should be given the chance to show he might actually be better than that. You never know he could shine from the start and become permanent.

He should get every chance to do that, but not at the expense of losing a key cb. Demichelis is essential imo. Kompany is always injured. We could find ourselves with both Denayer & Mangala struggling together, one gets a red card & it's Dedryk for the derby.

We must keep experienced cover & then let the young players earn the starting spot on merit.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Wonderwall wrote:The hitting the desk at the breeze of a gnats fart that pisses me off (apart from Nasri's assault). Fernandinho gave his fellow Countryman Neymar a right fucking earful for his dive that got Fern1 a booking. I hope he punches the ugly twat next week when he meets him for the international break.

Fuck me...there's an INTL break looming? Fuck's sake. We needed that a month ago, not now. Now we need to build up a head of steam with a few weeks of amazing footy and a retrench.

i hate this fucking game.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Slim wrote:Barcelona didn't piss me off at all last night. It was away from home against a true giant in Europe with three of the best attacking players on the planet in their side. But the side I laid out should have taken Burnley to task, and should overwhelm WBA as well. I don't get angry losing to top teams, I get angry when we are throwing points away to sides we should be walking over. blah blah blah, no easy games in this league, FUCK OFF. Our players should be clocking up 60 points from the bottom ten teams every year and the year we don't, is because Sunderland pulled one out of their arse and got a draw, 18 wins/1 draw at home, remember that? That's how we should be playing, where a loss to a Burnley is an exception that comes up once every couple of years.

I am really surprised Pellers still has a job TBH, if you look at who we've dropped points to since he took over, it's hardly flattering.

the thing you mentioned a few posts above is the key for me...which is why folks need to move this summer...

it's

Yaya OR Silva OR Nasri

No two of the cunts together.

We need a Vidal like fucker to partner one of those two and then we can consider adding back one of the others if Fernandinho ever catches his breath from last night.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby BmoreBlue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Wilson Raine wrote:

He should get every chance to do that, but not at the expense of losing a key cb. Demichelis is essential imo. Kompany is always injured. We could find ourselves with both Denayer & Mangala struggling together, one gets a red card & it's Dedryk for the derby.

We must keep experienced cover & then let the young players earn the starting spot on merit.

Not to mention if Denayer isn't getting enough games from the start of the season he can always slot in next to Tosin as our EDS CB partnership if we want him to keep sharp. If Denayer isn't with the squad next season it'll be a real disappointment - he seems far and away the most ready for first team matches.
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby getdressedmctavish » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Craig Gardner, now I've heard it all. Would be better off with Peter Gardner, lol
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby nottsblue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:09 pm

Might be just me but what if we played 343 like dippers and how Mancini trialled. Navas wold make a great wing back IMO. He has a solid defensive game and starting runs from deep would perhaps give him more space to exploit. Ashley Young tbf has looked one of the rags most dangerous players recently playing that role for example. Maybe with Angelino on the other flank with Kompany Mangala and Mdm/Denayer as the three at the back. Just throwing an idea out there
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:13 pm

I am looking at Everton playing Kiev. How much money did they want for Barkley? 60 mil?

If we go for this fella and we pay more than 10 mil, Soriano and the other one can fuck off.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:27 pm

nottsblue wrote:Might be just me but what if we played 343 like dippers and how Mancini trialled. Navas wold make a great wing back IMO. He has a solid defensive game and starting runs from deep would perhaps give him more space to exploit. Ashley Young tbf has looked one of the rags most dangerous players recently playing that role for example. Maybe with Angelino on the other flank with Kompany Mangala and Mdm/Denayer as the three at the back. Just throwing an idea out there

I don't think that's a bad idea at all NB. and well worth considering, in my book.

Moreover, by playing three centre-backs, there might be sufficient cover when Kompany has one of his mad rushes of blood and gets stranded upfield.

Positionally and notionally, in such a system, I'd play DeMichelis in the centre, with Kompany to his right and Mangala to his left and, as a concomitant, I do like the idea of playing three up front.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:35 pm

nottsblue wrote:Might be just me but what if we played 343 like dippers and how Mancini trialled. Navas wold make a great wing back IMO. He has a solid defensive game and starting runs from deep would perhaps give him more space to exploit. Ashley Young tbf has looked one of the rags most dangerous players recently playing that role for example. Maybe with Angelino on the other flank with Kompany Mangala and Mdm/Denayer as the three at the back. Just throwing an idea out there

I think the problem Mancini had playing it was completely the wrong personnel. Pretty much nobody was any good at it. I recon Garcia, Kolarov, Maicon & Nastasic were all signed with that in mind, possibly along with Sinclair & Rodwell as alternatives. They along with Lescott & Micah all stank the place out doing it. Zabs Milner Clichy no good.

I could see Mangala, Vince, Demi & Denayer all being fairly comfortable.

Tbh though, I think the system the Count plays is not 442 and is supposed to kind of change from one system to another but the players do not have the athleticism to carry it off.

If it worked we would have 5, 6, 7 in midfield when we lost the ball & a lot of players forward when we attacked. We just don't get around the pitch quick enough or well enough to carry it off.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby bayblue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:41 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I would not at all be surprised if we lose Yaya, Nasri and Milner for next season but keep the 2 F's. Fernandinho for me is a quality player who is very good getting around midfield winning balls and passing it on but not quite good enough creatively when given the chance. Fernando seemed to be the business when we first saw him but after injury has tailed off a lot but I would give him the benefit of the doubt for another season.

Yaya I think is a spent force. Useless on the defensive side of the game if he is given such a role but still capable of quality in the attacking 3rd. The trouble is we don't let him free to just attack. Nasri has tons of quality when he is allowed to play but basically he is a soft git and just doesn't do it often enough. Milner is mainly a worker and puts in fantastic effort but last night maybe summed him up as when he did get on the ball his quality was nil.It's not always like that and I do like him but he is a squad player and nothing more.If we can keep him without having to pay too much or guarantee anything then great but if he goes to say Liverpool he won't improve their team and again be just a squad member.

So if we lose a good few ( Edin, Jovetic,Kolarov also likely leavers) we need to buy one or two high quality performers and then bring one or two in from the youth. Denayer and Lopes spring obviously to mind but maybe others as well.

I've got a lot of hope for Lopes it seems when he plays well so do Lille by all accounts.

Had to laugh....private joke but thought Id share it.... remember a West Ham fan once saying this to me about Joe Cole
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:38 am

When a goal from a relegation threatened team does us as often as it has, it is a desire problem, Burnley sat back scored and that was that. Managers can come and go, if you have players letting the game go, you have a major problem, that needs cutting out and players gone.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum