Can we buy a midfielder to help fern?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Can we buy a midfielder to help fern?

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:00 pm

Other than Fernie the list of people I don't think are good enough is too large.

Yaya, Nasri, Sagna, Kolorov need to go. Milner too?

I just dont know im so dejected and pepe the so called saviour is jumping up and down as another team beats us. Our main issue is ego and lack of trying. Watch how rakiitic runs past yaya.

Navas and Hart deserve credit tonight too but I don't want this to be another game that takes Hart's head up a notch and end with WBA scoring a bag full. His kicking was shite and Barca's finishing was woeful.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Re: Can we buy a midfielder to help fern?

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Outs: Sagna (because hes a mercenary, doesnt care), Kolorov, Nasri, Yaya, Lampard

Maybes: Dzeko, Jove,

Chances needed: Fern2, Mangala, Bony.

Starters: Fern1, Aguero.... Silva?

I don't know how we can buy a whole squad in the summer (and shift this one) the answer must be to supplement with our kids.

We need players who give a shit. I dont want pellers to go but he doesnt even appeal for fucking blatant decisions in front of him. How can we ask for passion and fight from the players that wouldnt give it to mancini if pellers looks like he couldnt give a shit?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:11 pm

Fernandinho has been on the list of not good enough so far as many people are concerned.

Fernando was brought in to help him but is struggling & the general theme is to get rid of him rather than see if he can get upto PL speed.

If we do sign a player to help him, don't hold your breath that anyone will give them time to find their feet.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby zuricity » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:28 am

I think what you mean is, can we buy a midfield player because both Ferns are simply not good enough.

Actually we have the guy. James M
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby sheblue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:48 am

milner is as good as gone, very surprised if he was around next season.

I have a love hate view on yaya, used to love him going forward and hated him going back, but now the going forward bit is just as bad as the going back bit always was. Its time to sell, we will be lucky to get 10-15m for him at this age.

milner leaving, yaya and possibly nasri sold all three could be gone, but it might be too much to shift out three of them in one window.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:09 am

I would not at all be surprised if we lose Yaya, Nasri and Milner for next season but keep the 2 F's. Fernandinho for me is a quality player who is very good getting around midfield winning balls and passing it on but not quite good enough creatively when given the chance. Fernando seemed to be the business when we first saw him but after injury has tailed off a lot but I would give him the benefit of the doubt for another season.

Yaya I think is a spent force. Useless on the defensive side of the game if he is given such a role but still capable of quality in the attacking 3rd. The trouble is we don't let him free to just attack. Nasri has tons of quality when he is allowed to play but basically he is a soft git and just doesn't do it often enough. Milner is mainly a worker and puts in fantastic effort but last night maybe summed him up as when he did get on the ball his quality was nil.It's not always like that and I do like him but he is a squad player and nothing more.If we can keep him without having to pay too much or guarantee anything then great but if he goes to say Liverpool he won't improve their team and again be just a squad member.

So if we lose a good few ( Edin, Jovetic,Kolarov also likely leavers) we need to buy one or two high quality performers and then bring one or two in from the youth. Denayer and Lopes spring obviously to mind but maybe others as well.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:19 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I would not at all be surprised if we lose Yaya, Nasri and Milner for next season but keep the 2 F's. Fernandinho for me is a quality player who is very good getting around midfield winning balls and passing it on but not quite good enough creatively when given the chance. Fernando seemed to be the business when we first saw him but after injury has tailed off a lot but I would give him the benefit of the doubt for another season.

Yaya I think is a spent force. Useless on the defensive side of the game if he is given such a role but still capable of quality in the attacking 3rd. The trouble is we don't let him free to just attack. Nasri has tons of quality when he is allowed to play but basically he is a soft git and just doesn't do it often enough. Milner is mainly a worker and puts in fantastic effort but last night maybe summed him up as when he did get on the ball his quality was nil.It's not always like that and I do like him but he is a squad player and nothing more.If we can keep him without having to pay too much or guarantee anything then great but if he goes to say Liverpool he won't improve their team and again be just a squad member.

So if we lose a good few ( Edin, Jovetic,Kolarov also likely leavers) we need to buy one or two high quality performers and then bring one or two in from the youth. Denayer and Lopes spring obviously to mind but maybe others as well.

I've got a lot of hope for Lopes it seems when he plays well so do Lille by all accounts.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby getdressedmctavish » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:09 am

Good thinking Doug and a measured response. We all know what Fernandinho can do, he runs effortlessly, is a tireless worker and can pass well, being particularly able at setting up counter attacks.. He has two problems, one technique, one mental. He cant for the life of him judge a tackle, hasn't learned to jocky so is too easily bypassed and fouls way too easily.Mentally he is far too happy as part of the supporting cast and seems incapable of making the progression to dominating games with shots and assists around the box.Hopefully he can step up but I suspect he is too lacking in temperament.He did well last night because he has the engine but the second problem was very evident. The idea was clearly to have Ya Ya creating and Fernando leg biting but this idea has signally failed so far. Who we replace Ya Ya with and whether we ever get any real steel in MF will determine whether Fernandinho succeeds.The other pressing issue is can Bony integrate. Personally I thought he was a certainty but he has looked clumsy and inept. Its a thin line with strikers.Thirdly, can we afford to carry a non scoring winger. Most don't. I think Sinclair would have been more use than Navas. But a wide striker like Sanchez or Muller is the way forward, which is why the interest in de Bruyne, which makes sense.The pressing problem is the loss of form of our key players which is why I reluctantly conclude they need a new manager, not that they deserve one.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:18 am

getdressedmctavish wrote:Good thinking Doug and a measured response. We all know what Fernandinho can do, he runs effortlessly, is a tireless worker and can pass well, being particularly able at setting up counter attacks.. He has two problems, one technique, one mental. He cant for the life of him judge a tackle, hasn't learned to jocky so is too easily bypassed and fouls way too easily.Mentally he is far too happy as part of the supporting cast and seems incapable of making the progression to dominating games with shots and assists around the box.Hopefully he can step up but I suspect he is too lacking in temperament.He did well last night because he has the engine but the second problem was very evident. The idea was clearly to have Ya Ya creating and Fernando leg biting but this idea has signally failed so far. Who we replace Ya Ya with and whether we ever get any real steel in MF will determine whether Fernandinho succeeds.The other pressing issue is can Bony integrate. Personally I thought he was a certainty but he has looked clumsy and inept. Its a thin line with strikers.Thirdly, can we afford to carry a non scoring winger. Most don't. I think Sinclair would have been more use than Navas. But a wide striker like Sanchez or Muller is the way forward, which is why the interest in de Bruyne, which makes sense.The pressing problem is the loss of form of our key players which is why I reluctantly conclude they need a new manager, not that they deserve one.

Navas and Bony. I agree a none scoring winger is a question mark.Navas get s a little too much stick for me as I feel he almost always puts in a good shift but because of the crowds in opposition penalty areas it is not easy for him to find a player with his crosses.He could do better with them for sure but given that it really has to be a low cross it's hard as the defences have worked it out.On top of that he works really hard off the ball for the team but he just doesn't score goals and doesn't look likely to. Someone like Lopes playing from that side could do as much on the attacking side and has a good eye for a goal.Defensively though I am not at all sure about Lopes.

Bony has been given a raw deal so far and the early signs have been anything but encouraging. But we have seen enough to know there is quality in there and I have a little feeling that he and Aguero can play together and he will come good. If not it's a hell of a waste of money and bad judgement by somebody. It's effectively cost us Jovetic as well
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nick » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:29 am

Im gonna put it out there, I thought Navas had a good game.

9/10 of the times last night he put balls in where there were ZERO people in the box. OK, so people want one up front. But Aguero was so deep it was unbelievable. Why? He wasn't the usual Aguero last night, it was disappotinting from him. The reason Navas sometimes hesitates is that nobody is ever in the box. And that INCLUDES when we play dzeko and aguero (dzeko loves trying to play left wing).

Bony has looked like Benjani in all of his cameos. However; in his only start, at Leicester for me played really well and was unlucky to not bag 1-2 goals. He needs starts.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Nick wrote:Im gonna put it out there, I thought Navas had a good game.

9/10 of the times last night he put balls in where there were ZERO people in the box. OK, so people want one up front. But Aguero was so deep it was unbelievable. Why? He wasn't the usual Aguero last night, it was disappotinting from him. The reason Navas sometimes hesitates is that nobody is ever in the box. And that INCLUDES when we play dzeko and aguero (dzeko loves trying to play left wing).

Bony has looked like Benjani in all of his cameos. However; in his only start, at Leicester for me played really well and was unlucky to not bag 1-2 goals. He needs starts.

I agree about Navas. We all go on about the players giving effort. I think we can't really judge the signings of Fernandihno and Navas and dare I say it Fernando, until you have a whole team putting in the same amount of effort. None of these players are the most skilled or clever players we have but they were obviously bought to fit into an ideology of how we are supposed to be playing, but the rest of the team are not responding.
I think Navas goes through a tremendous amount of work, every time I see him and I agree that he more often than not, has little or nothing to aim at in the box.
This team are not functioning as a team at the moment and I think it is our heroes of previous title winning campaigns that need looking at, not the usual scapegoats.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Crossie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:10 pm

2 changes, maybe 3 would change the rest of the squad for the better. If we can release Fernandinho and Silva, but at the same time up the cover the the defence, we would get better results from some of the so-so players I reckon.

We don't need a new squad, we just need some fucking sensible changes for the first time since 2012
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Mike J » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:28 pm

If we arent at least in for Pogba we are monumentally stupid
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:29 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I would not at all be surprised if we lose Yaya, Nasri and Milner for next season but keep the 2 F's. Fernandinho for me is a quality player who is very good getting around midfield winning balls and passing it on but not quite good enough creatively when given the chance. Fernando seemed to be the business when we first saw him but after injury has tailed off a lot but I would give him the benefit of the doubt for another season.

this is spot on. fernandinho has really come on strong after looking shell-shocked for a few months after the WC. he is quality and is obv fit enough to continue at this level for another 3-4 years.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:43 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:

I've got a lot of hope for Lopes it seems when he plays well so do Lille by all accounts.

Lopes currently, is about the same work level, without the ball, as Nasri on an average day.

He can do it & quicker, but he doesn't particularly do it at the moment. But he is faster & gives more potential for counter attacks, dribbles & goals.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Nick wrote:Im gonna put it out there, I thought Navas had a good game.

I thought Navas did ok, but on the point where you state there was no-one in the box, it wasn't only Navas that had that issue! Kolarov overlapped and was the furthest person forward (with the ball) on two occasions and there was nobody for him to cross to. It was criminal, its not like we don't know where he is going when he overlaps and what he is going to do with the ball f he gets it given to him.

I also would like to give my backing to Fernandinho too, I thought he gave everything last night, there was no lack of effort from him.

Yaya can go for me, unless he is going to play as an attacking mid, he cannot cut it anymore, it has been pointed out too many ties. He is aliability
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Wilson Raine » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:46 pm

So going/looking forward for this team.....

Sell Yaya, Nasri, Jovetic, Kolarov, Boyata

Miner will be off this summer on a free, Lampard off to NY. Get rid of Demichelis,

Bring in Lopes or Zuculini and Denayer.

Buy Craig Gardner or Jordan Henderson and as left back Domenico Criscito from Zenit.
Wilson Raine
De Michelis's Pace

My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:56 pm

Wilson Raine wrote:So going/looking forward for this team.....

Miner will be off this summer on a free, Lampard off to NY. Get rid of Demichelis,

Buy Craig Gardner or Jordan Henderson and as left back Domenico Criscito from Zenit.

MDM got another year contract didn't he?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wilson Raine » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:15 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Wilson Raine wrote:So going/looking forward for this team.....

MDM got another year contract didn't he?

I believe he did but in the end we need fresh blood in that position and Denayer fits the bill
Wilson Raine
De Michelis's Pace

My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Denayer would not have survived in that last night. He is a great potential talent, but still a kid. He also plays Kompany's position, not Demichelis'. Not that he can't adapt, I'm sure, but it's another thing he will have to get used to as well as a huge leap in standard.

He should be 4th cb behind Vince, Mangala & Demi & then promoted as he settles.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum