Is it time to start again?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Is it time to start again?

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:46 pm

It's not stretching it at all.

Fernando is a top player & is being treated as a a joke figure. Players who were joke figures in the past, used to be really shit, not the kind who would be first choice in his position 95% of the world's football teams, which is what Fernando is, whether we keep him or not.

Look at Spurs at OT. & their players in that position.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:44 pm

Maybe we need Paddy to get on the bench with Pellers, passion and a legend
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:48 pm

It's even become obvious to the formation obsessed dickheads on Sky tonight, that City were outrun.

The makeup of the squad cannot easily be changed to fix that in a short time, if we are to bring in top quality. We can't just buy runners, we will need real high quality players who are also high energy. We will have to spend big to get that, & the availablity will also be an issue.

The same people were mentioning how Chelsea were both out footballed & outmuscled/outrun, by PSG.

I think we have had a transition in this country, to playing a much higher level of football, but the very best teams in Europe are now doing that, with a high level of energy as well.

I don't think we can fix that in one season. We can improve on it & maybe still win the title, but I think it will take two or three seasons to rebuild to that level, otherwise we risk chaos inbetween.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:03 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Maybe we should play Fernando elsewhere.

Aye, Boundary fucking Park.

I don't get why people are so down on Fernando. He's done some shit stuff & some good stuff. He hasn't had many top games or total shit games but plenty of 'so so' ones. I would say that is similar to the rest, apart from a couple who have had a lot of shit games, Vinny & Zabba for a start.

He hasn't proven himself good enough for City so far this season, but very few have. At least he has a bit of an excuse, being a new player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I85ApzR43jU
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby phips » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:10 am

the squad needs a refresh. its not getting any better and doesn't look like it will any time soon.
we can keep blaming the manager (and Pellegrini surely has his faults) but its time for the higher ups to take a long, hard look at this aging squad.

unfortunately, no other clubs want most of our players so i don't know where we will get money to balance the books in order to be able to bring in new players. some clubs may want Dzeko and Jovetic but not at good prices.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:18 am

Ted Hughes wrote:It's even become obvious to the formation obsessed dickheads on Sky tonight, that City were outrun.

The makeup of the squad cannot easily be changed to fix that in a short time, if we are to bring in top quality. We can't just buy runners, we will need real high quality players who are also high energy. We will have to spend big to get that, & the availablity will also be an issue.

The same people were mentioning how Chelsea were both out footballed & outmuscled/outrun, by PSG.

I think we have had a transition in this country, to playing a much higher level of football, but the very best teams in Europe are now doing that, with a high level of energy as well.

I don't think we can fix that in one season. We can improve on it & maybe still win the title, but I think it will take two or three seasons to rebuild to that level, otherwise we risk chaos inbetween.

i believe that the core problem is that the Prem is the toughest league in the world...both physically and schedule-wise.

As a result, English teams in the last 5 years have suffered because to setup to win the league you have to take a very different approach than you do in Europe against the best teams. Most English teams can't meet the needs of having 2 deep in most roles AND having enough flavors of variety to compete in Europe since the resurrection of the (blood-spinning, transfusion-enabled, HGH-imbibing) teams in Spain and Germany over the last decade or so. And look at the Chelsea team that won it for RDM....a complete joke, and almost more embarrassing for footy than having every English team out of the competition at this stage if you ask me. If we needed to play like that to succeed in Europe i'd rather fucking focus on domestic silverware, fuck off FFP and buy whomever we want and just fuck Europe off forever. I could give two fucks really.

Also, have a fucking winter break so that when we start this shit again the best teams in your league don't go on a run where they win 3 in fucking 12 matches post-xmas because they're fucking absolutely knackered. For fuck's sake.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:23 am

Barca were about to rip up the blueprint. They had 1 season of a manager who carried the can. He was fired, They have tweaked got in Suarez and a hunger, the secret is not to panic.
We need a similar attitude along with a new captain to start the freshen up he is like the invisible man, we need CL securing before start any talk of change then we get back and wallop Barca like Bayern did.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:02 am

NO PACE,Barring Sergio we are one slow ass team.

Suarez,Messi,Neymar are all speedy fuckers.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby dave watson's perm » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:21 am

Pellegrini on his way according to the Oracle that is Robbie Savage on the headline on the BBC football page.

Fuck that - I'm believing nothing until I hear it from Danny "City insider" Mills
dave watson's perm
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:55 am

Earlier in this thread, there was some talk about either Evolution or Revolution.

I'm firmly of the Revolution persuasion and, if it were my responsibility, I'd wield the axe quickly, ruthlessly and in a widespread fashion. I'm somewhat impatient and the thought of gradually re-building over a five or six year period doesn't appeal to my thinking.

Of the first team squad, I'd only be prepared to keep Hart, Clichy, DeMichelis and David Silva (who I would build a new team around) as definites and I'd be prepared to off-load the others and replace them with one or two high quality signings, to play alongside a bunch of our talented youngsters.

In such circumstances, I'd completely write-off next season (and, perhaps even the one after that) as part of the total learning curve but, thereafter, I would hope/expect that with a fresh, young, energetic and hungry squad, we could do ourselves more justice than we are doing at the present.

In such a scenario, our wage bill would be appreciably reduced and we would have funds available for team strengthening, as and when, in any transfer window.

We would miss out on the Champions League for several seasons and, arguably, we might not even make the Europa League but, at the end of the day, this omission would be temporary and we would return stronger than ever.

I don't suppose, however, that this would appeal to our owners, so it's purely and simply my own thoughts, which would never come to fruition.

Vive la Revolution.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:02 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Earlier in this thread, there was some talk about either Evolution or Revolution.

I'm firmly of the Revolution persuasion and, if it were my responsibility, I'd wield the axe quickly, ruthlessly and in a widespread fashion. I'm somewhat impatient and the thought of gradually re-building over a five or six year period doesn't appeal to my thinking.

Of the first team squad, I'd only be prepared to keep Hart, Clichy, DeMichelis and David Silva (who I would build a new team around) as definites and I'd be prepared to off-load the others and replace them with one or two high quality signings, to play alongside a bunch of our talented youngsters.

In such circumstances, I'd completely write-off next season (and, perhaps even the one after that) as part of the total learning curve but, thereafter, I would hope/expect that with a fresh, young, energetic and hungry squad, we could do ourselves more justice than we are doing at the present.

In such a scenario, our wage bill would be appreciably reduced and we would have funds available for team strengthening, as and when, in any transfer window.

We would miss out on the Champions League for several seasons and, arguably, we might not even make the Europa League but, at the end of the day, this omission would be temporary and we would return stronger than ever.

I don't suppose, however, that this would appeal to our owners, so it's purely and simply my own thoughts, which would never come to fruition.

Vive la Revolution.

We simply cannot afford to miss out on Champions League if we wish to stay competitive in the transfer market.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:21 am

dave watson's perm wrote:Pellegrini on his way according to the Oracle that is Robbie Savage on the headline on the BBC football page.

Fuck that - I'm believing nothing until I hear it from Danny "City insider" Mills

When I was a kid, we used to call people like Robbie Savage 'slow'.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:31 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Earlier in this thread, there was some talk about either Evolution or Revolution.

Vive la Revolution.

Off with his head!
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:31 am

We're losing Jovetic and Milner in the summer so they'll need replacing to begin with. I'd get rid of two out of Silva, Nasri and Toure and a left-back is essential. Not sure if that's evolution or revolution but (given I doubt we can confidently fill any of these spaces with youth-team players) that's a big outlay and difficult task given the quality of the players involved, and the poverty of the sums we'll receive for them (nothing for Milner and cut-price for Toure).
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:42 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:We're losing Jovetic and Milner in the summer so they'll need replacing to begin with. I'd get rid of two out of Silva, Nasri and Toure and a left-back is essential. Not sure if that's evolution or revolution but (given I doubt we can confidently fill any of these spaces with youth-team players) that's a big outlay and difficult task given the quality of the players involved, and the poverty of the sums we'll receive for them (nothing for Milner and cut-price for Toure).

Out of the 3 I'd keep Silva, but agree with your assessment. Add to that Kolorov and Sagna possibly to be replaced by kids. Lampard and Dzeko possibly too.
Bring back Lopes, Denayer, hopefully bring in Iheanacho or Ambrose? Spend on 3 - 4 first team additions to our spine that would be definite first team upgrades. The other squad positions to be filled by promoting the youth.
If that is revolution rather than evolution, then I guess I'm in the revolution camp. I see it as cutting out the rot and promoting this Holistic approach that we've heard of but not seen.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wilson Raine » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:23 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Also, have a fucking winter break so that when we start this shit again the best teams in your league don't go on a run where they win 3 in fucking 12 matches post-xmas because they're fucking absolutely knackered. For fuck's sake.

cheers

I've always been a big supporter of the idea of a winter break - if it's good enough for other euro leagues then it needs to be implemented here as well. I also reckon the world cup has had a big impact on our 1st team squad (the price of buying 'world class' players I'm afraid) and it doesn't help we are also impacted (to a lesser degree) by the African cup as well.
Wilson Raine
De Michelis's Pace

My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:02 pm

On the OP, I'd say no. We've got some class players and we can't just rip up the template, we need to nurture it. Making to many changes will have an adverse effect on the season so all's we need is a few very good, but young players.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby freshie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Vive la Revolution.

You'd get rid of Aguero?
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:59 pm

freshie wrote:

Vive la Revolution.

You'd get rid of Aguero?

On balance, I think I would.

He's too injury prone, he can't play up top by himself and, in finding a suitable partner for him, we could be limiting or distorting the more flexible way that we need to play in the future.

Just my own thoughts for what they're worth, which is probably very little.

He could be a, albeit talented, part of our problems and no longer the solution.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:05 pm

I'd have to disagree with that MC, if we let Aguero go then we'd have to ensure we brought a bigger pull in, which wouldn't be easy.

Aguero looks unhappy at the moment though so we may not have a choice.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum