Diego Simeone

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Diego Simeone

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:30 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I try staying out of these debates as I think they're pointless, and this is probably just as pointless to the debate but hasn't Simeone been offered a long term contract, saying that he's going nowhere?

The press are claiming he has 'stalled' on the contract, because he is hoping to get the City job, but from all the stuff I've read about Simeone, it would be a complete U turn, if he left Atletico.

It would also be a complete U turn by City about the way the club has been set up to play football.

Unless they're ripping up the blue print, Simeone is not the man.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Sister of fu » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:33 am

Plain Speaking wrote:Vieira hardly seems to be setting the world alight with our U21's this season. We are sixth in the U21 table. On the same points as Everton in 7th, who have played a game less.
We have lost 5 of 7 away games.
He was a world class player but his physicality was an important part of his game, few such players go on to be great managers.
As the BBC reminded us this week:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31746786
"he received a four match ban for spitting as a player", so he's hardly a squeaky clean role model.

He is a great role model. He had his discressisions on the pitch yeah but what a player in his prime. He had an edge to his game like a lot of the best do. A winner and a leader. I have met him a couple of times while at city and he is a great man and makes time for everybody.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:33 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Pellegrini tried to convince Tevez to stay so that puts the kibosh on your bollox theory for starters.

I was not aware of this, I just thought this was the new Ticky and Tacky policy of not keeping players that caused troubles within the club and that, well, I guess potentially damaged the club's public image. Regardless of Tevez did so or not, I just assumed that was how the club reasoned. Where did you pick up this information?

Tevez under Pellegrini? Could've been fantastic.

"I spoke with Carlos weeks ago.

"I feel that Carlos didn't want to stay here any more. He was very clear telling me."

A quote from Pellegrini when Tevez was sold.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:38 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I try staying out of these debates as I think they're pointless, and this is probably just as pointless to the debate but hasn't Simeone been offered a long term contract, saying that he's going nowhere?

The press are claiming he has 'stalled' on the contract, because he is hoping to get the City job, but from all the stuff I've read about Simeone, it would be a complete U turn, if he left Atletico.

It would also be a complete U turn by City about the way the club has been set up to play football.

Unless there is a side to him we haven't seen. But surely we can only go on what we see.

But I don't understand why people think getting in an Argentinian manager, in order to get City playing like West Ham, will win us the Premier League. They don't see it that much in Spain, & that combined with some top players has worked for him (hence Moyes getting the Sociedad job imo; Scottish Simeone). but why anyone thinks teams in the Premier League would struggle particularly v Simeone's tactics over a season baffles me.

The managers here invented it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Plain Speaking » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:40 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:Vieira hardly seems to be setting the world alight with our U21's this season. We are sixth in the U21 table. On the same points as Everton in 7th, who have played a game less.
He was a world class player but his physicality was an important part of his game, few such players go on to be great managers.
"he received a four match ban for spitting as a player", so he's hardly a squeaky clean role model.

What a load of one sided ill researched tripe. What exactly is your game then matey ? You post these stats to illustrate your argument & neglect to mention that the difference between Everton in 7th & & Utd in first, is the grand total of THREE fucking points & that City are top scorers (not that it matters at all, along with the league position) . And that our academy which Vieira heads, won pretty much every single league last season. That doesn't count but this does?

You've gone to all that trouble to post those stats & yet not bothered to find out that he's played most of the season with a largely U18s team, playing non stop attacking football, often against much older/bigger opponents, a 17 year old fullback playing centre half, next to a centre mid playing the other centre half position, with a 17 year old left back next to him, & occasionally another 17 year old cb, & is in the quarter finals of the Champions League having recently put 6 past Bayern Munich, as well as having to share half the players with the U18s youth cup team, which has reached the semi finals of that competition.

Our actual reserve centre backs are busy winning titles elsewhere, one of them recently starring v Inter Milan, not to mention Devante Cole, Rony Lopes, Hiwula & 3 or 4 others who have all gone from the EDS team.

Meanwhile the rags U21s team is at the top of the league, 3 points ahead, with two 22 year old cbs who have been playing together for years, and also people like Ashley Young, Rafael, Chris Powell, Valdes recently drafted in to help them secure an heroic narrow victory vs a Chelsea team full of 17 & 18 year olds.

Perhaps we should give their manager a job ? Obviously the whole purpose of the EDS is to win the title every year & Vieira will be a total failure if he can't manage it whith whichever bunch of 17 year olds is available to him on any given day.

'Plain Speaking' my arse. If you are going to post stats, at least have the decency to do it with a bit of honesty rather than trying to give people a false impression.

I hate it when people do shit like this.

Ted, I welcome your post. I was not looking to create a "false impression" I came across the U21 table on transfermarkt and reported our position, the full table is at:
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/u21-prem ... on_id/2014
I was responding to previous posts, such as: "Paddy-Pogba-Premier-Pissed , I'm in"
Personally, I do not think Patrick Vieira is the answer to our current management problems. He is completely unproven and IMO would be a huge gamble.
I am all for "providing balance" and I find your comments, (and those of DH), on our young players helpful and informative.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:53 am

Plain Speaking wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

What a load of one sided ill researched tripe. What exactly is your game then matey ? You post these stats to illustrate your argument & neglect to mention that the difference between Everton in 7th & & Utd in first, is the grand total of THREE fucking points & that City are top scorers (not that it matters at all, along with the league position) . And that our academy which Vieira heads, won pretty much every single league last season. That doesn't count but this does?

You've gone to all that trouble to post those stats & yet not bothered to find out that he's played most of the season with a largely U18s team, playing non stop attacking football, often against much older/bigger opponents, a 17 year old fullback playing centre half, next to a centre mid playing the other centre half position, with a 17 year old left back next to him, & occasionally another 17 year old cb, & is in the quarter finals of the Champions League having recently put 6 past Bayern Munich, as well as having to share half the players with the U18s youth cup team, which has reached the semi finals of that competition.

Our actual reserve centre backs are busy winning titles elsewhere, one of them recently starring v Inter Milan, not to mention Devante Cole, Rony Lopes, Hiwula & 3 or 4 others who have all gone from the EDS team.

Meanwhile the rags U21s team is at the top of the league, 3 points ahead, with two 22 year old cbs who have been playing together for years, and also people like Ashley Young, Rafael, Chris Powell, Valdes recently drafted in to help them secure an heroic narrow victory vs a Chelsea team full of 17 & 18 year olds.

Perhaps we should give their manager a job ? Obviously the whole purpose of the EDS is to win the title every year & Vieira will be a total failure if he can't manage it whith whichever bunch of 17 year olds is available to him on any given day.

'Plain Speaking' my arse. If you are going to post stats, at least have the decency to do it with a bit of honesty rather than trying to give people a false impression.

I hate it when people do shit like this.

Ted, I welcome your post. I was not looking to create a "false impression" I came across the U21 table on transfermarkt and reported our position, the full table is at:
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/u21-prem ... on_id/2014
I was responding to previous posts, such as: "Paddy-Pogba-Premier-Pissed , I'm in"
Personally, I do not think Patrick Vieira is the answer to our current management problems. He is completely unproven and IMO would be a huge gamble.
I am all for "providing balance" and I find your comments, (and those of DH), on our young players helpful and informative.

Fair enough, I apologise for attacking it, but imo if you use stats to further an argument, it should be done fairly & that's not fair on Vieira.

Vieira isn't there to win trophies, that is just an ambition, not a requirement of the job. Quite a few of those opposing teams are set up more to win games tactically rather than teaching kids to play high level football, which is what City do. And at the moment we are on course to possibly win 2 or 3 trophies with that group of players anyway.

I have no idea whether Vieira has what it takes to be City manager. I don't even know whether he thinks so, yet. I expect he would rather wait.

But I do know we see the kids' teams do stuff the first team doesn't, & possibly can't. And the guys in charge at City have a pretty decent record for spotting talent in a young manager.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:26 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Let's say we hire Simeone and we fail to win the league, what then? Sack him too? We're setting a dangerous precedent if Pellegrini goes this summer where the top managers will think twice about joining us.

Not really. It hasn't stopped top managers going to Chelsea has it?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:34 am

Mase wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Let's say we hire Simeone and we fail to win the league, what then? Sack him too? We're setting a dangerous precedent if Pellegrini goes this summer where the top managers will think twice about joining us.

Not really. It hasn't stopped top managers going to Chelsea has it?

Don't know, they haven't had a top manager since Ancelotti before the special
cunt returned.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Read an article in the Telegraph(?) from Duncan Castle who says Simeone maybe an option as Txiki is seriously considering a change of managers.

Looks like an opinion piece though and also states we have the most expensive squad. Surely that's the Rags now so not sure of the credibility of the article.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:24 pm

"I feel that Carlos didn't want to stay here any more. He was very clear telling me."

I don't know if that quote really tells me that Pellegrini wanted Carlos to say or that he tried to convince him to stay. I still think A-hörnchen and B-hörnchen wanted rid. Carlos probably wanted to go as well though, but I don't think it would've been possible for him to stay had he wanted to.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby PeterParker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:29 pm

I see a lot of hate regarding this fella.

I don't care that much for him to be honest. I think he is a good manager, but i like our Count i want him to continue. Yes, i admit that Simeone did some incredible things at Atletico, he won everything there and i mean everything.

I am just curious, the hate he receives here, how much is based on what happend at Argentina - England in 98?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

I don't know if that quote really tells me that Pellegrini wanted Carlos to say or that he tried to convince him to stay. I still think A-hörnchen and B-hörnchen wanted rid. Carlos probably wanted to go as well though, but I don't think it would've been possible for him to stay had he wanted to.

Tevez did want to go, he said as much himself. I don't see why Pellegrini would've bothered speaking to Tevez unless he wanted him to stay. All the reports at the time suggested Pellegrini wanted him to stay. Just put 'pellegrini, Tevez' into google and there's numerous reports there.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:39 pm

PeterParker wrote:I see a lot of hate regarding this fella.

I don't care that much for him to be honest. I think he is a good manager, but i like our Count i want him to continue. Yes, i admit that Simeone did some incredible things at Atletico, he won everything there and i mean everything.

I am just curious, the hate he receives here, how much is based on what happend at Argentina - England in 98?

I don't see much hate, rather I see that people are suggesting he doesn't fit in with the philosophy the club are trying to implement.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:42 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Unless there is a side to him we haven't seen. But surely we can only go on what we see.

But I don't understand why people think getting in an Argentinian manager, in order to get City playing like West Ham, will win us the Premier League. They don't see it that much in Spain, & that combined with some top players has worked for him (hence Moyes getting the Sociedad job imo; Scottish Simeone). but why anyone thinks teams in the Premier League would struggle particularly v Simeone's tactics over a season baffles me.

As opposed to a Chilean who was doing a good job at Malaga. Never managed outside Spanish speaking countries. We have stalled, we have lost something, and we have as with the scum season allowed chelsea pretty much a free run at winning the league. Players have taken a season off barring a little run. For all the holistic we still cannot play out of the back, we lack energy and are disorganised when teams have pace, take Yaya out what is the plan.
Pellers has not solved that but deserves to get time too.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:04 pm

Tevez did want to go, he said as much himself. I don't see why Pellegrini would've bothered speaking to Tevez unless he wanted him to stay. All the reports at the time suggested Pellegrini wanted him to stay. Just put 'pellegrini, Tevez' into google and there's numerous reports there.

I did and I don't see any more valid information than I see in general about gossip. Nothing substantial. What it seems to say is that Pellegrini was going to have talks with Tevez and also Barry and Lescott whose contracts were all up. Some papers seem to have hinted that Pellegrini wanted Tevez to stay but on the other hand, that might have been true, made up or it might have been planted to make Juve pay more for him than they would've otherwise. I respect your opinion but I just don't see it.

I might be missing something though and if I did, I'd be very interested to see anything substantial on the matter.

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:06 pm

As opposed to a Chilean who was doing a good job at Malaga. Never managed outside Spanish speaking countries. We have stalled, we have lost something, and we have as with the scum season allowed chelsea pretty much a free run at winning the league. Players have taken a season off barring a little run. For all the holistic we still cannot play out of the back, we lack energy and are disorganised when teams have pace, take Yaya out what is the plan.

Don't think he has stalled mate. There seems to be issues, but we have yet to see how he handles them in the long run. Firing someone for coming second or third after two seasons, in which he won two trophies in the first, seems a bit spoiled don't you think?

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Either way I don't understand how any of that relates to Simeone.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

I did and I don't see any more valid information than I see in general about gossip. Nothing substantial. What it seems to say is that Pellegrini was going to have talks with Tevez and also Barry and Lescott whose contracts were all up. Some papers seem to have hinted that Pellegrini wanted Tevez to stay but on the other hand, that might have been true, made up or it might have been planted to make Juve pay more for him than they would've otherwise. I respect your opinion but I just don't see it.

I might be missing something though and if I did, I'd be very interested to see anything substantial on the matter.

Why do you think he bothered talking to him at all? Which is confirmed by both parties. If he didn't want him to stay why would he have bothered?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:17 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
PeterParker wrote:I see a lot of hate regarding this fella.

I don't see much hate, rather I see that people are suggesting he doesn't fit in with the philosophy the club are trying to implement.

"He can fuck off"

"The cunt can't even speak English"

"He's another win at all costs cunt. He'd have our players rolling around like a bunch of cheats in no time."

I think it's fairly obvious that people hate the guy; without any real reason to as well. It's no bother. We're a fickle bunch and always have been so I'd imagine if he did come and win things here most will be saying "I love Simeone I wanted him here from day one"
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby sheblue » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Simeone. Not too pleased about his style of football.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum