The Silver Lining Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Silver Lining Thread

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu May 07, 2015 5:49 am

kinkylola wrote:
Slim wrote:1992–93 Teddy Sheringham
1993–94 Andrew Cole
1997–98 Chris Sutton(3 way tie)
1997–98 Dion Dublin(3 way tie)
1998–99 Michael Owen(3 way tie)
1998–99 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink(3 way tie)
2000–01 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
2002–03 Ruud van Nistelrooy

not surprising it's a lot more common ... the voting is done in fucking feb or something stupid like that.
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Thu May 07, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Wooders » Thu May 07, 2015 7:05 am

Silver linings for me are
1) Sergio seems to still like it here, been worried we might lose him this summer and nosedive
2) barring a total disaster we're still gonna be in the champs league next year
3) on pitch problems with certain personnel have been exposed and it appears there will be a refresh of the squad this summer
4) Denayer, cole and Inacheo seem like genuine contenders as future first team players, at long last it looks like the hard-work in academy is paying off

There's actually plenty of other things I am happy about right now but those are the main ones
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby sheblue » Thu May 07, 2015 7:47 am

Wooders wrote:Silver linings for me are
1) Sergio seems to still like it here, been worried we might lose him this summer and nosedive
2) barring a total disaster we're still gonna be in the champs league next year
3) on pitch problems with certain personnel have been exposed and it appears there will be a refresh of the squad this summer
4) Denayer, cole and Inacheo seem like genuine contenders as future first team players, at long last it looks like the hard-work in academy is paying off

There's actually plenty of other things I am happy about right now but those are the main ones

There is a massive amount to be positive about.
Another thing is that can be a positive is surely the management and hierarchy will learn from this season and realise how important it is to strengthen properly in the summer.
It can only be positive if they learn from their mistakes, if not well...
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Wonderwall » Thu May 07, 2015 9:01 am

kinkylola wrote:
nottsblue wrote:If Aguero wins the golden boot, as is likely, that's gonna be a good "silver lining".

Aguero has never been in the PFA Team of the Year ... Silva has been in 1.

Also ...

Over the last decade City have only had 9 'appearances' in the PFA team, 5 of which were by Yaya and Vinnie. We're also the only team to have won the league and not had a manager of the year (premiere league era). Pardew won it over Mancini's title winning season, for getting newcastle their highest finish in 9 years (5th), and Pellegirini likewise missed out. Overall there have been four years where the award didn't go to the title winners, the other two being George Burley in 2000-01 over SAF and Harry Redknapp in 2009-10 over Ancelotti.

Silver lining? Other players in the league hate us just like the Media?

where are you getting your stats from? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_Man ... ion_Awards

Jose Bourinho has also never won the manager of the year award and I am sure he has won the title a few times
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Slim » Thu May 07, 2015 10:27 am

Wonderwall wrote:
kinkylola wrote:
nottsblue wrote:If Aguero wins the golden boot, as is likely, that's gonna be a good "silver lining".

Also ...

Over the last decade City have only had 9 'appearances' in the PFA team, 5 of which were by Yaya and Vinnie. We're also the only team to have won the league and not had a manager of the year (premiere league era). Pardew won it over Mancini's title winning season, for getting newcastle their highest finish in 9 years (5th), and Pellegirini likewise missed out. Overall there have been four years where the award didn't go to the title winners, the other two being George Burley in 2000-01 over SAF and Harry Redknapp in 2009-10 over Ancelotti.

where are you getting your stats from? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_Man ... ion_Awards

Jose Bourinho has also never won the manager of the year award and I am sure he has won the title a few times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Le ... the_Season
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Thu May 07, 2015 10:55 am

Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
kinkylola wrote:

Also ...

How many awards are there? I remember Joe kinnear telling everyone he won manager of the year 3 times!
Its getting worse than boxing with the individual governing bodies!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Slim » Thu May 07, 2015 11:05 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
kinkylola wrote:

Also ...

How many awards are there? I remember Joe kinnear telling everyone he won manager of the year 3 times!
Its getting worse than boxing with the individual governing bodies!

I believe the LMA is for the calendar year, the Barclay's one is for the season.

Also Joe Kinnear is the recipient of the Joe Kinnear Manager of the Year award every year, top award.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:14 pm

In the event of a tie with Arsenal, the weekend result doesn't do our goal difference any harm.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby nottsblue » Mon May 11, 2015 5:23 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:In the event of a tie with Arsenal, the weekend result doesn't do our goal difference any harm.

Plus Kun looks certain to win Golden Boot and Hart has moved level in Golden Glove
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby bayblue » Mon May 11, 2015 7:52 pm

nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:In the event of a tie with Arsenal, the weekend result doesn't do our goal difference any harm.

Plus Kun looks certain to win Golden Boot and Hart has moved level in Golden Glove

Not forgetting Yaya's Golden Bollocks !!(or is that his agent's prize?)
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon May 11, 2015 8:54 pm

bayblue wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Not forgetting Yaya's Golden Bollocks !!(or is that his agent's prize?)

Yaya gets the golden crumbs
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon May 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Bloody hell, the last couple of pages should be in the Paranoia thread.

Anyway, did I read that we were now clear of FFP restrictions? About time somebody actually let the cat out of the bag.

Look out world, we're going again!!!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby CTID Hants » Mon May 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Bloody hell, the last couple of pages should be in the Paranoia thread.

Anyway, did I read that we were now clear of FFP restrictions? About time somebody actually let the cat out of the bag.

Look out world, we're going again!!!

Steady on Beefy, I am sure UEFA mobsters will find some caveat to stop us spending big, anyone would have thought we were up to our necks in debt, paying crippling interest...
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:17 pm

With United having to play Arsenal, it makes it likely that one more point will secure a top three place for us. Even if we don't get it, unless United beat Arsenal it makes their last game redundant. If we draw at Swansea and those pair draw, then we just need to win at home against Southampton to come second, unless Arsenal score 12 in their last two games, by my reckoning.
It's not looking as bad as it was a month ago.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Dameerto » Tue May 12, 2015 5:54 pm

What it means is our future is in our hands as far as second place goes, and the players now have something to play for.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Dameerto wrote:What it means is our future is in our hands as far as second place goes, and the players now have something to play for.

So should Kolarov, Milner, Lampard and Toure all sit the last two games out if they have nothing to play for?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dameerto » Tue May 12, 2015 6:04 pm

That depends whether you think they are professional footballers or not - and whether there is anything to your assumption.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue May 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Dameerto wrote:What it means is our future is in our hands as far as second place goes, and the players now have something to play for.

So should Kolarov, Milner, Lampard and Toure all sit the last two games out if they have nothing to play for?

yes i think so if indeed we plan to get rid of them....so Aleks is the only one i'd consider playing. All the rest can ride the pine and daydream about summer hols.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Dameerto » Tue May 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Maybe Bony instead of Lampard and Navas in for Milner? We could have Aguero playing off Bony and linking the midfield like he's done in the past with Bony on the pitch - then Navas and Kolarov firing in the crosses.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 20, 2015 9:30 pm

Second place in the bag and it looks like an exciting transfer window with FFP limits being withdrawn. Much rosier outlook than a month ago
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum