The Silver Lining Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Silver Lining Thread

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Great post, Nottsblue.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:22 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:Great post, Nottsblue.

Indeed.

Disappointment if we don't win the league is understandable, & imo even if some think the manager isn't upto it, that is understandable too, but when people start on as if the club is facing some potential disaster & get scared because a few players sign for others, so we should rip up the plan; it's ridiculous.

We are in great shape, so long as we stick to it. We are supposed to have competition. Ups & downs are supposed to happen. It's not supposed to be the case that one team wins the title every year. In fact it's arguable that it's better if 4 or 5 teams do it rather than one or two.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:57 pm

Just watching the pantomime over in Trafford is all the silver lining I need - fucking loving it.

We CITY fans have had decades to build character so we should not be getting into depression over the current position - but those scum fuckers have never had to man up in most of their lifetimes and are probably incapable. Fuck me they probably are totally unaware of how dark their future could be (hopefully) - enough joy to be derived just from watching that implosion.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby dazby » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:30 am

Back in the day I used to be so worried about the club. Would we survive? Will we stay up? Will we go up? Will Sweep stay?

Now, I don't worry about City. It's the least of my worries. If we don't win it this year, we'll win it next year. Or the year after. We'll win something. We are too good not to.

And as for the bullshit about us going backwards. You think Mangala and the Octopus and Bony are going to be worse players next season?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby zuricity » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:45 pm

dazby wrote:Back in the day I used to be so worried about the club. Would we survive? Will we stay up? Will we go up? Will Sweep stay?

Now, I don't worry about City. It's the least of my worries. If we don't win it this year, we'll win it next year. Or the year after. We'll win something. We are too good not to.

And as for the bullshit about us going backwards. You think Mangala and the Octopus and Bony are going to be worse players next season?

Your first paragraph reminds me of Brian's mum telling him he is not jewish but a roman.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:53 pm

zuricity wrote:
dazby wrote:Back in the day I used to be so worried about the club. Would we survive? Will we stay up? Will we go up? Will Sweep stay?

Your first paragraph reminds me of Brian's mum telling him he is not jewish but a roman.

Always look on the bright side of life!
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:56 pm

zuricity wrote:

We do know that he was a very naughty boy!

Judith on the other hand................!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:10 pm

zuricity wrote:

Brian: Have I got a big nose, Mum?
Brian's mother: Stop thinking about sex!
Brian: I wasn't!
Brian's mother: You're always on about it. "Will the girls like this? Will the girls like that? Is it too big? Is it too small? "
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby zuricity » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Crickey! All i said was that paragraph of Dazby's was good enough for Brian's mum.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:28 pm

Things to take from today's game:

Despite there being plenty of opportunities for it, Mangala and Kompany generally kept it cool and did not give away unnecessary free kicks close to our penaly area. I'm not saying they put in an herculian shift, but neither have they really had to do so in other games where they've made a shambles of fairly easy defending. I counted two occassions where either one of them or Fernando needlessly gave away a freekick. That's to expected over a game, IMO.

Hart kept a clean sheet

Bony scored his first goal and looked really lively for about 55 minutes

Silva scored his 11th PL goal this season, on the back of 24 starts. That's ca one goal every second game.

Agüero looked more lively today than he has for a couple of weeks.

Navas put in som triffic crosses today

None of this may contine in the long term but in keeping with the aim of this thread, there was a few things to be happy about today, some of which I'm probably forgetting to type.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Harumph!
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 pm

A city win and the weekend is a much happier time. Simple really. My weekend has a silver lining at the moment and if Hull beat Chelsea it'll be a good dollop of icing on top
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby sheblue » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:38 pm

nottsblue wrote:A city win and the weekend is a much happier time. Simple really. My weekend has a silver lining at the moment and if Hull beat Chelsea it'll be a good dollop of icing on top

Hull won't beat them, but a draw is a possibility I suppose.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:38 pm

sheblue wrote:
nottsblue wrote:A city win and the weekend is a much happier time. Simple really. My weekend has a silver lining at the moment and if Hull beat Chelsea it'll be a good dollop of icing on top

Hull won't beat them, but a draw is a possibility I suppose.

Close but no cigar.
Maybe next time.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:51 pm

Silver linings?

As gruesome as any Utd win is, they have created for us a nice 7 point gap to 5th spot which means we would have to go through an almighty balls up not to finish in the top 4, which our baseline requirements.

Tbh I don't give a toss if we finish 2nd or 3rd, so long as we get an automatic spot and don't face a qualifying game in August. Finishing above United would be welcome of course.

Other silver linings are that Rio Ferdinand looks like being relegated, as do our bogey side Sunderland.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:Silver linings?

As gruesome as any Utd win is, they have created for us a nice 7 point gap to 5th spot which means we would have to go through an almighty balls up not to finish in the top 4, which our baseline requirements.

Tbh I don't give a toss if we finish 2nd or 3rd, so long as we get an automatic spot and don't face a qualifying game in August. Finishing above United would be welcome of course.

Other silver linings are that Rio Ferdinand looks like being relegated, as do our bogey side Sunderland.

That crossed my mind too, although I'd hate to be caught by Utd. Beating them would go along way to securing third.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Aggressive Walkling » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:Silver linings?

But cancelling out the benefits to City of the Mackems getting dropped is the potential promotion of the Boro.

Past that, I'm personally one of those people that still counts our points up to 40 every year. Only half-kidding about that, too. Old habits being hard to break.

I'd hate to finish below FC Trafford. Would be unsettled a bit to not at least get the Wenger Cup, as this could impact recruitment and FFP issues. But the Wenger Cup now seems safe. We have what I think is the best-run and financed setup in England if not the world. And a phenomenal infrastructure that promises great things for the future.

All the silver linings I need right there!
Aggressive Walkling
De Michelis's Pace

My favourite player is: Super Kevin Horlock

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:49 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:Just watching the pantomime over in Trafford is all the silver lining I need - fucking loving it.

We CITY fans have had decades to build character so we should not be getting into depression over the current position - but those scum fuckers have never had to man up in most of their lifetimes and are probably incapable. Fuck me they probably are totally unaware of how dark their future could be (hopefully) - enough joy to be derived just from watching that implosion.

And these are the days when all's they can think about is catching us! Imagine that, a few years ago?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 am

Kolarov is likely going back to Italy.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Socrates » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:22 am

Eight games left that are games we have won in recent championship winning seasons and are all winnable now, 85 points may well be enough. I find it very perplexing that people are giving up when we have come from similar positions to be champions twice in three years. No need for silver linings when the clouds aren't even here yet!
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum