Scrap on for 4th

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Scrap on for 4th

Postby Wooders » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:03 pm

Expecting to win against barca and Liverpool isn't being arragant?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:38 pm

Wooders wrote:Expecting to win against barca and Liverpool isn't being arragant?

It's the manner of the performances rather than the results which is concerning most people.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:42 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Wooders wrote:Expecting to win against barca and Liverpool isn't being arragant?

It's the manner of the performances rather than the results which is concerning most people.

This is very true. We were comprehensively beaten by both this past week which blatantly exposed all our flaws in graphic detail.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

This is very true. We were comprehensively beaten by both this past week which blatantly exposed all our flaws in graphic detail.

Losing to a wonder strike doesn't equate to getting comprehensively beaten. We were poor second half but let's not exaggerate.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Losing to a wonder strike doesn't equate to getting comprehensively beaten. We were poor second half but let's not exaggerate.

Don't kid yourself. We didn't deserve to win that game, and never looked like doing so. Leave the blinkers on and ignore the bleeding obvious all you want but it wont help.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:10 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Don't kid yourself. We didn't deserve to win that game, and never looked like doing so. Leave the blinkers on and ignore the bleeding obvious all you want but it wont help.

Never for one second did I suggest we deserved to win, I don't know where you got that from but after we scored we looked more likely. We just didn't turn up in the second half but with that said they didn't create a whole lot.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby freshie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Not turning up in the second half is disgraceful for a club with title aspirations and with a squad as talented and well looked after as ours. We got what we deserved on Sunday - fuck all
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby freshie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Not when lesser teams than us have done so. Malaga managed to beat Barca at the Nou Camp before our Champs league match - they aren't unbeatable and if we are to progress in this competition then yes we need to be beating sides like Barca and if we want to win the league then we need to win at places like Anfield. Anyway as another poster pointed out it isn't the results but the manner in which we are being beaten that rankles. We didn't even give ourselves a chance vs Barca or the dippers for that matter because we allowed them too much time on the ball and simply let them play their game - suicidal football
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Our worst performances have come against mediocre opposition that compensate for their limited football skill with work rate.

A lot of games I have thought we have been going through the motions expecting to win against lower opposition. Even games where we have played quite well have been plagued by Jekyl and Hyde performances. We struggle to compete for a full 90 minutes. We are content to go through the motions for 45 minutes before going for it, or vice versa. Very rarely do we play well for the full 90 minutes. We do just enough.

Top 3 is in no way a given. Our last 10 games form wise has us in the lower half of the table. I would give Pellegrini the next 3 games and fully expect 9 points. If not we should pull the trigger and take a punt on Patrick Vieira as caretaker. Our Club needs Champions League Football. I can live with the shit season, it happens. Not qualifying for Champions League football is unacceptable. If Pellegrini cant get these players picking up maximum points from the next 3 games then he has to go before it is to late to rectify.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:10 pm

I hardly think that being concerned and worried about the way we are playing, is being arrogant.

I'd say it's actually about showing respect to the teams below us, the way they are playing and their abilities to catch and overhaul us.

I'm with you MC, I'm a worrier. I don't think we have a divine right to get a top for spot and I really think we will ahve to fight it out now. We can do it of course, but I don't think it's gonna be easy. Soon the media is gonna pick up on it and then the ball is rolling.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Yes, but expecting us to perform and put in a bit of effort isn't. Add to that we've been dreadful all season against teams who park the bus and work hard and the next run of games could be a disaster if the current performance levels continue.

We're now playing to guarantee a top 3 finish, but I'm not sure half of them care either way and the other half are playing like they want to get another manager sacked.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby dick dastardley » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Yesterday showed all the hallmarks of the last few games under bobby manc players not giving their all busting a gut, knowing pelle is on his bike, I think he's too nice
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:17 pm

I believe we have enough to finish an easy 2nd. What I don't believe is that we have enough to win it.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:27 pm

From now on until the end of the season we are fighting for CL places & that's it.

2 CITY P29 PTS 58
3 arse P29 PTS 57
4 rags P28 PTS 53
5 pool P28 PTS 51
6 spuds P28 PTS 50

With the way we are playing its not gonna be easy is it. Big games tomorrow
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby everyonehatesus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:47 pm

We are firmly in the scrap for anything from 2nd to 4th, and I wouldn't bet on any as we are so gutless, clueless and leaderless. It's a shambles and time we got someone at the helm to at least show some desire and passion.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:32 pm

At this moment, I'd be happy with a top 4. When the sun comes out though, I'm sure I'll be much happier, and so will the players.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:16 pm

I genuinely think we're going to struggle to get top 4. Our players are a fucking disgrace and don't give a shit.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby sheblue » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:50 pm

In football terms why would we be happy with fourth?
So we can qualify for the CL to fuck that up again next year?
Might be better to take stock and start building a new team, this one is shot.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:56 pm

Clearly we are in a battle for a CL spot and on current form ( i.e what we as City fans know is going on) we are favourites to miss out altogether.

I watched tonight's game in a sort of haze.Right from the start it seemed clear what would happen. We were controlling the game but looking a bit obvious and slow.Burnley were playing a very defensive game knowing they could frustrate City and if they could get far enough forward to get crosses in they might just get a good chance and that might be enough.

We were sort of playing ok and from time to time we almost got through. We did have chances even if not great ones but there was never a feeling that we didn't have to worry we would score sooner or later.Too many fairly simple passes were messed up.I wasn't 100% sure if the pass was just shocking or the movement off the ball or the anticipation of the pass was just off. At the other end there was some iffy moments but nothing really worrying but even at the back a pass or two was wrong and the feeling was there that a Burnley goal might come from a cock up.

Into the 2nd half and nothing really changed.The break for Kun to pass to Silva I thought was perfect and 99% of the time his first touch is great but ooops! That really did suggest we were not going to score. We clearly had chances but we missed them . Did they have chances? Not really but it just so happened that Boyd caught a shot perfectly from just outside the box and we lose.

Henderson caught his 100% perfectly as did Coutinho and I recall some other Burnley git did the same at the Etihad in the home game to deny us a victory. It's a bit tough on us to lose to special strikes when we see other teams get away with opposition who miss sitter after sitter but that's football.We didn't concede one decent chance that I recall today but lost.We are a million miles better than Burnley and today's game was like playing a team from a lower division who wanted it more and came to the match with the exact right tactics.

We were a team expecting to win, playing decent football but at the wrong pace and forgetting the fact that the other team know exactly what to expect and are capable of blotting out basically everything we have to offer unless we throw in some world class moments to beat them. We couldn't do that so the Burnley keeper wasn't seriously troubled and we got what we deserved.

Can we shake ourselves out of this? We can but I am not sure what needs to be done to save the season from massive disaster. The manager must take a good share of the blame but the players cannot be blameless.It's not that we should be playing a load of different players because basically all the players in the squad have been used and it's just not happening.

There does seem a strong argument that there is a tiredness in the squad. Nothing at all to do with age imo but just a mental thing which is hard to justify or put a finger on.Have the players got tired of Pellegrini? Do they agree with those who think our 2 up front approach is all wrong.I wish I was at training to see if anything could be seen from that.

There were times tonight when I could see a half decent position with the ball on one of the wings but there was really not enough in the box or even when there were enough it lacked any movement to give options and we all know that we are rap at crossing anyway.We probably all saw that time where Navas had the ball wide and we had 2 static figures in the box. It cried out for a near post run but neither of our two made any move.That meant a chipped ball needed to be made to find a player or else one of Burnley's 6 defenders would eat it. A chipped ball to Kun is a waste of time and unless it's with pace it's no good for Edin either.Nobody else was breaking their neck to get in.

Many of our players might have seemed to have ok games until you think about how limited their performance was. Would the kids be better if they had played? Probably not but they wouldn't have been worse and there would maybe have been a different energy if some had been out there.

As everyone knows I have been watching plenty of the kids this season and I have been blessed by players giving their all, playing as a team and playing with a real desire and intensity. I have been lucky but to be fair I have also seen the first team play as a team and delight me with their football. Just not at the moment.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:57 am

Very good assessment of yesterday and where we are right now Doug.

Next week and the home game is now huge.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum