Scrap on for 4th

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Scrap on for 4th

Postby nottsblue » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Great post Doug. I imagine it must really annoy the likes of yourself, Ted, Twosips and many others who watch the Academy games, not see the effort, team spirit, togetherness, willingness to put in a shift etc, not transcend its way upwards to the first team.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mark Garrett » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:29 pm

72pts will be enough for top 4 finish.

So we need 14pts from 9 games. Is anyone seriously thinking we cannot get 14pts from 9 games??!
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:59 pm

For those more versed in the FFP and our incomes and all that, is not getting into the CL next season a dangerous thing? I mean, would that mean a dent in the plan for the club financially or are the structures and deals that we have in place now and which we will be able to upgrade, providing financial cover? I kind of felt that we had to get into the CL when we did and now I kind of feel we have to continue to qualify for the cl in order to not give the Waffas a reason to strike down on us, but is there any reason for my present concern? An answer from someone a bit versed in the subject would be nice. If not, any answer will do.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby nottsblue » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:26 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:From now on until the end of the season we are fighting for CL places & that's it.

2 CITY P29 PTS 58
3 arse P29 PTS 57
4 rags P28 PTS 53
5 pool P28 PTS 51
6 spuds P28 PTS 50

With the way we are playing its not gonna be easy is it. Big games tomorrow

Rags only gonna be two points behind now. We need to get a grip and quick or the four sides below us will be smelling blood
nottsblue

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Mark Garrett wrote:72pts will be enough for top 4 finish.

So we need 14pts from 9 games. Is anyone seriously thinking we cannot get 14pts from 9 games??!

ask me again in 10 days
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:03 pm

Not sure 72 will be enough. It will be close for sure. 4th is still not great as it would bugger up our pre season plans, but at the moment I'd take it. Then have a long hard look at the squad, decide who to keep and get a few replacements in and have a serious conversation with whomever is the manager and in no uncertain terms make sure he is aware of the need to promote youth
nottsblue

Postby zabbadabbado » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:32 pm

I wouldn't bet on us finishing 4th given how poor we are at this moment.

It is portrayed as a disaster not finishing 4th, from a business perspective.

However from my perspective as a City fan, it would be no great disappointment to me personally missing out on UEFA Champions League. It is a corrupt competition that favours an elite few. I thought that would be the part I enjoyed most about our recent success. I have not really enjoyed many off those nights, games constantly ruined by corrupt officiating.

It is obvious that in a few weeks time this team is going to be ripped apart and start again. There will be some big coming and goings. Next season we are going to be a team in transition regardless. Our expectations should reflect this. It matters not if we spend £ 200,000 000.The team will still need time to gel together. Would not being in the Champions League really be that big of a disappointment to us fans. It will be all about learning to walk before we can run again.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:36 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:I wouldn't bet on us finishing 4th given how poor we are at this moment.

It is portrayed as a disaster not finishing 4th, from a business perspective.

However from my perspective as a City fan, it would be no great disappointment to me personally missing out on UEFA Champions League. It is a corrupt competition that favours an elite few. I thought that would be the part I enjoyed most about our recent success. I have not really enjoyed many off those nights, games constantly ruined by corrupt officiating.

It is obvious that in a few weeks time this team is going to be ripped apart and start again. There will be some big coming and goings. Next season we are going to be a team in transition regardless. Our expectations should reflect this. It matters not if we spend £ 200,000 000.The team will still need time to gel together. Would not being in the Champions League really be that big of a disappointment to us fans. It will be all about learning to walk before we can run again.

I agree completely. I don't even enjoy the champs league stuff though I turn up out of loyalty. The problem is though our best players (e.g. Aguero) may want to leave to play in the Champs league, whilst we won't attract top players if we don't qualify.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby AntMcfc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:46 am

All this talk of finishing 4th to get CL football is off the mark. We need to finish 4th to have a chance, because it is by no means a certainty that we'll get through this playoff. We're losing to all sorts of trash at the moment and I don't see why we couldn't lose to Besiktas, Young Boys, Sevilla etc. We need to finish 3rd, and that means making four points up between us and United by the end of the season. It looks doubtful but the fixture list is much kinder to us.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:08 am

AntMcfc wrote:All this talk of finishing 4th to get CL football is off the mark. We need to finish 4th to have a chance, because it is by no means a certainty that we'll get through this playoff. We're losing to all sorts of trash at the moment and I don't see why we couldn't lose to Besiktas, Young Boys, Sevilla etc. We need to finish 3rd, and that means making four points up between us and United by the end of the season. It looks doubtful but the fixture list is much kinder to us.

If we do our job, we will most likely finish 2nd.

It's down to whether the players can be arsed to do it or not.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby sheblue » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:47 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
AntMcfc wrote:All this talk of finishing 4th to get CL football is off the mark. We need to finish 4th to have a chance, because it is by no means a certainty that we'll get through this playoff. We're losing to all sorts of trash at the moment and I don't see why we couldn't lose to Besiktas, Young Boys, Sevilla etc. We need to finish 3rd, and that means making four points up between us and United by the end of the season. It looks doubtful but the fixture list is much kinder to us.

Thats one hell of a big IF.
A bit of realism though, we have been mid table standard since jan 1, logic and evidence suggests were going to remain at mid table standard until May 24th. Mid table teams dont finish second, we will be lucky to hold fourth.
Anybody betting on us finishing second is a brave man.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:56 am

sheblue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

A bit of realism though, we have been mid table standard since jan 1, logic and evidence suggests were going to remain at mid table standard until May 24th. Mid table teams dont finish second, we will be lucky to hold fourth.

That's perfectly true, but teams with the quality of City, often cash in at the end of a season in these circumstances. We have seen it many times with the likes of Arsenal, who make a disasterous season look ok on paper with a late run, under little pressure.

Of course, a bit of inspiration from the manager wouldn't go amiss. Half a game for just one of the kids for instance.

Bony could be the key if he gets fit. Something different than the same routine.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:59 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
sheblue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

That's perfectly true, but teams with the quality of City, often cash in at the end of a season in these circumstances. We have seen it many times with the likes of Arsenal, who make a disasterous season look ok on paper with a late run, under little pressure.

Of course, a bit of inspiration from the manager wouldn't go amiss. Half a game for just one of the kids for instance.

Bony could be the key if he gets fit. Something different than the same routine.

Bony had an incredible run of appearances before he signed almost never injured,signs for us and boom injured.

One of those seasons and i cant wait for it to be over.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby sheblue » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:32 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
sheblue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Bony had an incredible run of appearances before he signed almost never injured,signs for us and boom injured.

One of those seasons and i cant wait for it to be over.

I agree, apart from form, our luck has been terrible, just terrible.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Fullartj » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:41 am

As this season for City is literally imploding and as far as I can see half the team are thinking about their summer holidays. Is it not the right time to throw some of the youth players in the team?

Surely they will give 100% as this would be their big chance to impress and it may even spur some of the senior players on. We all loved seeing Youth players given their chance at City in the past and it gets the crowd going.
Fullartj
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Wooders » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:46 am

Our run in is preferable to utd (they still have chelsea and arsenal away to play) we might be alright if we can pull our heads out of our arse
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:22 am

Wooders wrote:Our run in is preferable to utd (they still have chelsea and arsenal away to play) we might be alright if we can pull our heads out of our arse

Some of the players look like they think they'll be out the door in the summer and really can't be arsed getting the top 4 spot as they won';t be here. They need dropping and then we might have a chance.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
Wooders wrote:Our run in is preferable to utd (they still have chelsea and arsenal away to play) we might be alright if we can pull our heads out of our arse

Some of the players look like they think they'll be out the door in the summer and really can't be arsed getting the top 4 spot as they won';t be here. They need dropping and then we might have a chance.

I would go around to the ones that are certain to stay, tell them so and play that 11. Get rid of the ones that are not part of our future plans, put them in the EDS and promote the EDS to the first team.

No more negativity!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:43 am

If Bony gets fit, we should be able to pick a side from players who are definitely staying but the general policy seems to be, to just pick everyone as if things are normal, which, whilst understandable, is wrong imo. So far, rather than responding to their futures being questioned, players like Yaya & Nasri, Dzeko last week, Kolarov, have just put in tired efforts.

If they were to decide tomorrow that they desperately wanted to stay at City, they would be easily capable of getting us back to 2nd place, with the games we have coming up. But they are more likely to plod through it.

I wonder if the criticism they are getting in the media might motivate them, but I doubt it. We will probably have to carry several players until the end.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:05 am

Wonderwall wrote:

I would go around to the ones that are certain to stay, tell them so and play that 11. Get rid of the ones that are not part of our future plans, put them in the EDS and promote the EDS to the first team.

No more negativity!

Agreed!!!

I'd love to see that approach. Unless we got 5th...then of course I'd reserve the right to lose my shit like a small child whose baba was stolen.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum