Seven and a half mins.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Seven and a half mins.

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:30 pm

We started the game pressing Liverpool, winning everything in their half, totally dominating the game, perfect tactics. We had the ball, they didn't. We won it instantly and passed it.

Everything perfect.

I watched to see how long we would keep it going. On about 7 and a half minutes, all of City's midfield, failed to push up behind the strikers. Liverpool played the ball straight down the middle and Coutinho was away.

We weren't working so hard that we should have been knackered, but pretty much everyone stopped working on 7 and a half minutes.

That's why we are struggling in these games. Our players don't work hard enough.

It made no difference at all whe we went to 5 in the middle. Liverpool ran fucking rings round them. In fact we were better when we went back to 2 up front.

We need more athletic players to balance the squad. Too many can't do what us required.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: Seven and a half mins.

Postby twosips » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:38 pm

That's down to poor management then isn't it?
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby blues2win » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:44 pm

In the big matches it's madness to play a 4 with Nasri Silva and Yaya as three of them. You simply can't get enough out of them off the ball. In my view we'd be better keeping Nasri on the bench and playing both Ferns if we're playing four. That still leaves us with two strikers in Aguero and Dzeko who aren't the best at consistent pressing for 90 minutes.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:45 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:We started the game pressing Liverpool, winning everything in their half, totally dominating the game, perfect tactics. We had the ball, they didn't. We won it instantly and passed it.

Everything perfect.

I watched to see how long we would keep it going. On about 7 and a half minutes, all of City's midfield, failed to push up behind the strikers. Liverpool played the ball straight down the middle and Coutinho was away.

We weren't working so hard that we should have been knackered, but pretty much everyone stopped working on 7 and a half minutes.

That's why we are struggling in these games. Our players don't work hard enough.

It made no difference at all whe we went to 5 in the middle. Liverpool ran fucking rings round them. In fact we were better when we went back to 2 up front.

We need more athletic players to balance the squad. Too many can't do what us required.

Fair points Ted. For me and a mate who was their has just said they done Mancini in they the players have done Pellers in. Holistic is bollocks they are lazy bastards and Mancini called them out for it and they whinged . The fans were going mad at the lazy bastards, what has changed. Manager who is nice is the last thing you needed this week which has 1 year early put him right in the firing line. If your a Pogba or Reus are you gonna be impressed with this week.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:46 pm

blues2win wrote:In the big matches it's madness to play a 4 with Nasri Silva and Yaya as three of them. You simply can't get enough out of them off the ball. In my view we'd be better keeping Nasri on the bench and playing both Ferns if we're playing four. That still leaves us with two strikers in Aguero and Dzeko who aren't the best at consistent pressing for 90 minutes.

Can you explain how Liverpool had more of the ball when Milner came on though ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Quite simple. Milner played shit! He's not a defensive midfielder and he hasn't got the creativity to be a top class central midfielder. He's either a second choice right sided midfielder to Navas or a first choice left sided midfielder when our left flank needs added solidity. Imo!
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby City64 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:53 pm

Todays second half performance at Anfield was the most disappointing display of the season for me . We had everything to play for but we didn't step up to the plate like we used to . that coupled with yet another tactical blunder from Pellegrini taking Dzeko off and replacing him with Milner . Two huge stand out situations have now arisen now we are on the brink of winning nothing this season that as a club we MUST address immediately ............

1. The squad needs an overhaul with fresh energy in the midfield plus a couple of top top quality defenders need signing . Several players have served us well the last 4 years or so but now need to be moved on as they are past there best or not performing to the level required . We cannot have another season like this next season ,
2, Pellegrini HAS fallen short tactically too many times this season in important games plus several run of the mill games , do we stick with him or bring in someone else of the calibre or Guardioa ?

For me we have reached the point where we need to change certain situations for MCFC to progress , this season it simply hasn't been good enough .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:55 pm

blues2win wrote:Quite simple. Milner played shit! He's not a defensive midfielder and he hasn't got the creativity to be a top class central midfielder. He's either a second choice right sided midfielder to Navas or a first choice left sided midfielder when our left flank needs added solidity. Imo!

Well there's the problem imo.

The way Pellegrini wants to play, needs a couple of players bringing in, for it to work properly.

But if we try to be solid, we don't create anything, & still let goals in. We saw that in Mancini's 2nd season. He also tried the same system Rodgers used today & we were fucking shit at it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:00 pm

City64 wrote:Todays second half performance at Anfield was the most disappointing display of the season for me . We had everything to play for but we didn't step up to the plate like we used to . that coupled with yet another tactical blunder from Pellegrini taking Dzeko off and replacing him with Milner . Two huge stand out situations have now arisen now we are on the brink of winning nothing this season that as a club we MUST address immediately ............

1. The squad needs an overhaul with fresh energy in the midfield plus a couple of top top quality defenders need signing . Several players have served us well the last 4 years or so but now need to be moved on as they are past there best or not performing to the level required . We cannot have another season like this next season ,
2, Pellegrini HAS fallen short tactically too many times this season in important games plus several run of the mill games , do we stick with him or bring in someone else of the calibre or Guardioa ?

For me we have reached the point where we need to change certain situations for MCFC to progress , this season it simply hasn't been good enough .

We need more 'legs' in the team. But it has to be high quality. Mancini tried Rodwell & Garcia, Pellegrini has gone for Fernando. I feel we need to look at Siva & Nasri. Not dump them, but sign a couple of alternatives who are quicker & work harder. A new Bellamy for one.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Aggressive Walkling » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:03 pm

City64 wrote:Todays second half performance at Anfield was the most disappointing display of the season for me . We had everything to play for but we didn't step up to the plate like we used to . that coupled with yet another tactical blunder from Pellegrini taking Dzeko off and replacing him with Milner . Two huge stand out situations have now arisen now we are on the brink of winning nothing this season that as a club we MUST address immediately ............

Second half might be up there with the CSKA match where Yaya got sent off as far as being utterly demoralising.

Youth and energy for me, as the way forward. Not saying to bin the entire team by any means. But Kurzawa in at LB. Marcos Lopes to help on that left side. A realistic big signing (Pogba would be my dream - I'd put most of the transfer budget right there if it were me making the decisions.) All realistically do-able I think. FFP still matters but it will matter a lot less. It is now time for Txiki to show us what he is capable of (in a good way.)
Aggressive Walkling
De Michelis's Pace

My favourite player is: Super Kevin Horlock

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:04 pm

blues2win wrote:In the big matches it's madness to play a 4 with Nasri Silva and Yaya as three of them. You simply can't get enough out of them off the ball. In my view we'd be better keeping Nasri on the bench and playing both Ferns if we're playing four. That still leaves us with two strikers in Aguero and Dzeko who aren't the best at consistent pressing for 90 minutes.

I agree completely. We put 4 in midfield and are overrun...it's no wonder the players look knackered. The central 2 have too much to do. MP won't learn though, we are going backwards but he does nt see it. Perhaps he does nt have the right players to suit his system....then don't use the system. Maybe he brought Fernando in believing he would suit the system, but he got that wrong as well.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:07 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:

I agree completely. We put 4 in midfield and are overrun...it's no wonder the players look knackered. The central 2 have too much to do. MP won't learn though, we are going backwards but he does nt see it. Perhaps he does nt have the right players to suit his system....then don't use the system. Maybe he brought Fernando in believing he would suit the system, but he got that wrong as well.

What tactic would you have preferred ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Reus would be great but is apparently not available. Pogba would be even better. I still think Pellegrini lacks a striker who's a really natural pressed of the ball high up the pitch. We'll see how Bony shapes up. You really want a balance in midfield between passers dribblers and tacklers. Of course a player who has all three is priceless. As you rightly say we could do with more athleticism. Nasri and Silva are fine against the poorer teams but leave the team unbalanced against the better ones.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:14 pm

blues2win wrote:Reus would be great but is apparently not available. Pogba would be even better. I still think Pellegrini lacks a striker who's a really natural pressed of the ball high up the pitch. We'll see how Bony shapes up. You really want a balance in midfield between passers dribblers and tacklers. Of course a player who has all three is priceless. As you rightly say we could do with more athleticism. Nasri and Silva are fine against the poorer teams but leave the team unbalanced against the better ones.

Bony did more pressing today than in a whole season at Swansea. Very pleased with him. I thought Aguero & Dzeko were great today at pressing. Silva Nasri try but aren't fit enough, Yaya's legs went 2nd half, Fernandinho got injured, Milber was a waste of time as was Lampard.

We have had the same 3 creative players in midfield for years now. All three talented but struggle when we lose the ball. I think the new City team for big games should be one of Silva Nasri or Yaya plus two new ones.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:

I would have played Navas on the right with silva in the middle and Nasri on the left with Yaya and Fern 1 in the middle. Aguero up top. It's a more solid system and Navas has a good work rate. Dave in the middle allows us to retain the ball better too.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:37 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:

I would have played Navas on the right with silva in the middle and Nasri on the left with Yaya and Fern 1 in the middle. Aguero up top. It's a more solid system and Navas has a good work rate. Dave in the middle allows us to retain the ball better too.

Well that's somethijg which may have worked, or it may have ended up with loads on here all calling you a knob for picking Navas. It didn't work when Milner came on, at all did it ?

You can be certain your system would have worked & we wouldn't have ended up just lumping long high balls to Aguero, & created nothing like we did when Dzeko went off ?

Silva would have dominated the game because Navas was on rather than Milner ?

Not exactly convincing looking at the evidence is it ?

Then when you consider we have hardly ever won a game with Aguero on his own up front.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
blues2win wrote:Reus would be great but is apparently not available. Pogba would be even better. I still think Pellegrini lacks a striker who's a really natural pressed of the ball high up the pitch. We'll see how Bony shapes up. You really want a balance in midfield between passers dribblers and tacklers. Of course a player who has all three is priceless. As you rightly say we could do with more athleticism. Nasri and Silva are fine against the poorer teams but leave the team unbalanced against the better ones.

Bony did more pressing today than in a whole season at Swansea. Very pleased with him. I thought Aguero & Dzeko were great today at pressing. Silva Nasri try but aren't fit enough, Yaya's legs went 2nd half, Fernandinho got injured, Milber was a waste of time as was Lampard.

We have had the same 3 creative players in midfield for years now. All three talented but struggle when we lose the ball. I think the new City team for big games should be one of Silva Nasri or Yaya plus two new ones.

Unfortunately, I agree.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby blues2win » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:05 pm

We could try a 4-2-3-1 system. The two Ferns in front of the back four. Silva Yaya and Navas playing in central midfield with Aguero up front. Aguero needs support if it's to work but it allows the full backs to push up and we get the pace of Navas and Yaya allowed to express himself further up the pitch without too much in the way of defensive duties. That still leaves Nasri Lampard Dzeko and Bony available to bring on. The alternative would be 4-3-3 with the two Ferns and Yaya in central midfield and Silva and Navas up alongside Aguero. That would be more adventurous. 4 in central midfield is a very old fashioned way to play and we haven't actually got a front two who play very well together. Maybe Aguero and Bony will hit it off but Aguero and Dzeko rarely have imo. Aguero's quite a selfish cunt as a lot of top strikers are so its not necessarily Dzeko's fault.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:08 pm

I was just going to post something similar to this. Although there were some players making individual errors, the lack of a desire to win the ball back has been our worst failing all year.

I do wonder is there the required intensity in training with players pressing and winning the ball back replicating game situations, if not then they can't be expected to turn it on during a game.

Or, is Pellegrini getting the tactics right (like start of game today and 2nd half against Bar a) but the players are not implementing them fully.

I feel sorry for the defence as they are pushing up and trying to put pressure on but the midfield are failing to put the same pressure on leaving opposing midfielders running straight at our back line
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:09 pm

blues2win wrote:We could try a 4-2-3-1 system. The two Ferns in front of the back four. Silva Yaya and Navas playing in central midfield with Aguero up front. Aguero needs support if it's to work but it allows the full backs to push up and we get the pace of Navas and Yaya allowed to express himself further up the pitch without too much in the way of defensive duties. That still leaves Nasri Lampard Dzeko and Bony available to bring on. The alternative would be 4-3-3 with the two Ferns and Yaya in central midfield and Silva and Navas up alongside Aguero. That would be more adventurous. 4 in central midfield is a very old fashioned way to play and we haven't actually got a front two who play very well together. Maybe Aguero and Bony will hit it off but Aguero and Dzeko rarely have imo. Aguero's quite a selfish cunt as a lot of top strikers are so its not necessarily Dzeko's fault.

Aguero and Dzeko were great today though. Best I've ever seen them together I think.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum