Qatar: Winter World Cup 2022

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Qatar: Winter World Cup 2022

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:10 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:On a practical level, this World Cup's economic implications are scarily widespread for those who rely on summer holiday trade around Europe. If a million match goers in the UK decided not to take a holiday that year, the knock on effects around Europe would be huge. The alternative is the effect on clubs not getting their regular gate money for those who do choose to go on holiday.

Whichever way you look at it, somebody loses out big time whilst the FIFA execs coin it in, and Abu Dhabi's view is just a little too simplistic

I see, its about tourism economics then.

Is my view too simplistic, or are you a little bit exaggerating what will a month world cup do to the world economy?

Economy is a game of balance, an event might take some things out and put some things in some place, and do the same to other places.

For the purpose of discussion, in theory, let us assume there are a million UK constant match goers / foreign holiday makers, which I believe there aren't, you could argue that keeping them home will either increase domestic expenditure or increase personal saving rates, which wont do the UK any harm.

In practice though, how many of them will actually cancel their holidays because of this? And at worst scenario, how many will find it difficult to skip just the first game of the season to make it work?

On the other hand, if your worry is clubs gates receipts if the million people left the country, I could argue that there is potential alternative demand for summer premier league games.

Thats of course with the assumption that local demand will decrease, something I dont believe will be that significant.

Moreover, in worst case scenario, clubs might decide to decrease prices to counter that fall in demand, which isnt bad considering all the complaints about prices these days, with the consistent increase in income for clubs from other sources. This is still in theory though, and for a one off event.

Now if your absolute worry is actually the effect on European tourism, then I could argue the same for each individual country. But the fact is, football match goers isnt the make or break of the tourism market, and if they were, I will still argue that those never-miss-a-game chunk of match goers will then find some time in winter to travel instead, balancing it a bit for some tourist destinations.

I am not denying that it is a modification, but I just cant see the point of discussing such minor issues as if it is the crisis to be in 7 years time.

FIFA is corrupt alright, but it amazes me how we could for an example make the FA an angel one day, and corrupt the other day for domestic football purposes.

I guess my point is, the world cup wont effect your life standard in 7 years time. Politicians, banks, and big corporations will though, and there is no doubt that corruption runs through the veins of many of them, anywhere in the world.

I've already fucking told you.

People such as me will be paying to watch football which will be fucking theived from them by Sepp Blatter.

You seem to have loads of money, & wouldn't care, so why don't you donate each member of this board the cost of each game they have paid for and are forced to miss ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Abu Dhabi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:12 pm

Ted, throw insults as you wish, but please dont die trying.

The best idea is to make a study, anticipate your workload and availability in 7 years time, then submit it to FIFA, so they can schedule all football accordingly.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:Ted, throw insults as you wish, but please dont die trying.

The best idea is to make a study, anticipate your workload and availability in 7 years time, then submit it to FIFA, so they can schedule all football accordingly.

You're just a stuckup selfish cunt.

They can schedule it as it should be; with the World Cup in summer.

They have been bribed for a World Cup & realised it can't actually be fucking played, but they've had the money, so we all have to suck it.

The vote was not for a winter World Cup.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Abu Dhabi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:34 pm

I dont care about the fuck ups of FIFA, but your belief that world cups should only be hosted in summer friendly countries, just to suit your budget, holidays, and workload, is selfish too.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:I dont care about the fuck ups of FIFA, but your belief that world cups should only be hosted in summer friendly countries, just to suit your budget, holidays, and workload, is selfish too.

No, it's to suit the majority of the people who pay to go & watch football.

And do Qatar deserve a world cup ? Fucking no. There are loads of countries who deserve it more. Why is it going there ? Because of corruption.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:29 pm

Australia just hosted a brilliant Asia Cup, all the stadiums are already in place and it's winter here in June.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Slim wrote:Australia just hosted a brilliant Asia Cup, all the stadiums are already in place and it's winter here in June.

A much more sensible option for most to visit for a World Cup, & to watch on tv, without wrecking their domestic seasons.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:47 pm

The fact is that Qatar bid for a Summer World Cup with all that crap about air conditioned stadia etc. The FIFA technical assessors should have ruled them out on that basis alone. Quite who paid what we'll never find out but it was an outrage that highly credible bidding countries like Australia and the USA got virtually no support. The appalling conditions for workers building the stadia is another disgrace. Many lives have been lost.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:46 pm

We'll have to wait and see what the arrangements are. It could mean a refreshing change of routine or it could screw things up for three seasons. But the real issue is the dictatorial way it has been stitched up.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:24 pm

A lot of drama and over-reaction over something that will (or might still not) happen in 7 years's time ! The only thing I'm worried about is whether I'll still be alive and kicking in 2022, not to watch the fucking World Cup but just in general !
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:A lot of drama and over-reaction over something that will (or might still not) happen in 7 years's time ! The only thing I'm worried about is whether I'll still be alive and kicking in 2022, not to watch the fucking World Cup but just in general !

Ive been mad with Nostradamus for the last fuckign 30 years.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:On a practical level, this World Cup's economic implications are scarily widespread for those who rely on summer holiday trade around Europe. If a million match goers in the UK decided not to take a holiday that year, the knock on effects around Europe would be huge. The alternative is the effect on clubs not getting their regular gate money for those who do choose to go on holiday.

Whichever way you look at it, somebody loses out big time whilst the FIFA execs coin it in, and Abu Dhabi's view is just a little too simplistic

Is my view too simplistic, or are you a little bit exaggerating what will a month world cup do to the world economy?

Economy is a game of balance, an event might take some things out and put some things in some place, and do the same to other places.

For the purpose of discussion, in theory, let us assume there are a million UK constant match goers / foreign holiday makers, which I believe there aren't, you could argue that keeping them home will either increase domestic expenditure or increase personal saving rates, which wont do the UK any harm.

In practice though, how many of them will actually cancel their holidays because of this? And at worst scenario, how many will find it difficult to skip just the first game of the season to make it work?

On the other hand, if your worry is clubs gates receipts if the million people left the country, I could argue that there is potential alternative demand for summer premier league games.

Thats of course with the assumption that local demand will decrease, something I dont believe will be that significant.

Moreover, in worst case scenario, clubs might decide to decrease prices to counter that fall in demand, which isnt bad considering all the complaints about prices these days, with the consistent increase in income for clubs from other sources. This is still in theory though, and for a one off event.

Now if your absolute worry is actually the effect on European tourism, then I could argue the same for each individual country. But the fact is, football match goers isnt the make or break of the tourism market, and if they were, I will still argue that those never-miss-a-game chunk of match goers will then find some time in winter to travel instead, balancing it a bit for some tourist destinations.

I am not denying that it is a modification, but I just cant see the point of discussing such minor issues as if it is the crisis to be in 7 years time.

FIFA is corrupt alright, but it amazes me how we could for an example make the FA an angel one day, and corrupt the other day for domestic football purposes.

I guess my point is, the world cup wont effect your life standard in 7 years time. Politicians, banks, and big corporations will though, and there is no doubt that corruption runs through the veins of many of them, anywhere in the world.

Fucking hell, you're going from one extreme to the other here.

Firstly, the average home attendance of the premier league clubs last season was 35,000. Multiply that by 20 teams, and you have 700,000 regular matchgoers right there, before you even start on the other divisions. It's well over a million, just in England. Conservatively, I'd assume that getting on for 3-5 million people will be affected in Europe's top 4 or 5 leagues alone.

Secondly, people will most likely go on holiday as their family is, for most a priority over City. There is very little choice in the matter of when you take your holiday as parents are fined now for taking their kids out of school outside of school holiday times. As a result, season ticket holders will be a minimum of 1 game down, just because of the winter world cup. Is that fair, just to line FIFA's pockets?

There is talk from the Peterborough chairman, that smaller clubs are likely to have cash flow issues, and it's not hard to see why when larger proportions of lower league fans pay cash on the day. If you are struggling to get by, and all of a sudden your attendance drops by 15-20% for a sustained period of 7 weeks in the summer holidays, that's a big problem for them. It's not as simple as reducing prices for smaller clubs to attract new people though. Support in the lower leagues is dire, the clubs do loads of offers to try and get casual fans to go to the ground, but the pubs are full on a Saturday of people watching the premier league, however you dropped the price would not bring enough people through the gate to make up for the lost revenue.

I don't understand why you feel this is simply a minor inconvenience......it's a change to the way football has been played in Europe for the last 100 fucking years, and there is a whole economy built around summer holidays and winter football! I'm certainly not being precious about tradition, perhaps you think this is the issue. It's not! Lots of people across Europe are gonna get fucked in the arse, it's almost certain to be the fans of big clubs as most have season tickets that will go unused, and it could well be a nightmare for smaller clubs as well.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby zuricity » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Abu Dhabi wrote:

Firstly, the average home attendance of the premier league clubs last season was 35,000. Multiply that by 20 teams, and you have 700,000 regular matchgoers right there, before you even start on the other divisions. It's well over a million, just in England. Conservatively, I'd assume that getting on for 3-5 million people will be affected in Europe's top 4 or 5 leagues alone.

Secondly, people will most likely go on holiday as their family is, for most a priority over City. There is very little choice in the matter of when you take your holiday as parents are fined now for taking their kids out of school outside of school holiday times. As a result, season ticket holders will be a minimum of 1 game down, just because of the winter world cup. Is that fair, just to line FIFA's pockets?

There is talk from the Peterborough chairman, that smaller clubs are likely to have cash flow issues, and it's not hard to see why when larger proportions of lower league fans pay cash on the day. If you are struggling to get by, and all of a sudden your attendance drops by 15-20% for a sustained period of 7 weeks in the summer holidays, that's a big problem for them. It's not as simple as reducing prices for smaller clubs to attract new people though. Support in the lower leagues is dire, the clubs do loads of offers to try and get casual fans to go to the ground, but the pubs are full on a Saturday of people watching the premier league, however you dropped the price would not bring enough people through the gate to make up for the lost revenue.

I don't understand why you feel this is simply a minor inconvenience......it's a change to the way football has been played in Europe for the last 100 fucking years, and there is a whole economy built around summer holidays and winter football! I'm certainly not being precious about tradition, perhaps you think this is the issue. It's not! Lots of people across Europe are gonna get fucked in the arse, it's almost certain to be the fans of big clubs as most have season tickets that will go unused, and it could well be a nightmare for smaller clubs as well.

Average 35K by 10 games a week is 350k, watching any games live per weekend.

Don't forget the lower leagues.

Anyway, in an earlier post you mentioned you were one mile away from two of the Stadia.

So are they just going to always be empty, even if the WC gets played there ? what a senseless waste of resources. Or is John BonJovi pencelled in for a residence at the Sands of Qatar?

Everything about the Qatar 2022 WC Stinks..... and it' s not because of lack of water .
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:39 pm

It's simple, if Qatar had won the chance to win the WC on the back of an excellent bid (taking everything into account) then there would be no issue. The biggest problem is that everybody and his dog knows that this is the biggest corruptest piece of shite that has ever been passed before the public eye.

I don't mind the thought of them changing the date but I do mind the fact that they've engineered it in a way that it sounds like everything is above board.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:34 pm

zuricity wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Abu Dhabi wrote:

Average 35K by 10 games a week is 350k, watching any games live per weekend.

Don't forget the lower leagues.

Anyway, in an earlier post you mentioned you were one mile away from two of the Stadia.

So are they just going to always be empty, even if the WC gets played there ? what a senseless waste of resources. Or is John BonJovi pencelled in for a residence at the Sands of Qatar?

Everything about the Qatar 2022 WC Stinks..... and it' s not because of lack of water .

I was talking about match going fans of each club, not how many go each week. There are 20 teams, so 700,000

From what I understand, certainly the education city stadium they have just announced is slated to be reduced in size from 40,000 down to about 25,000 after the tournament and retained for the use of the university there. I expect similar with the others they are building. I don't know what their big plan is, but in a number of cases the stadiums which are left as legacies will simply be turned over to the sports clubs. (Who already have newish, but smaller stadia. Yep, they will be mostly empty, much of the time though, but they do still harbour serious hopes of getting the Olympics at some point in the future and no doubt with the facilities will bid for the Asian cup and other regional events.

For people who keep saying that people are dying on the World Cup stadium projects, that's simply not true by the way. There is only one actually being worked on at the moment, and that's a redesign of the current national stadium which only a small number of people are working on currently. The designs for the others are only just being finalised. The deaths which are reported in Qatar are down to the fact that there are over 1,000,000 labourers grafting on various projects such as the metro, the roads, the new city north of Doha, office buildings, hotels etc, all of which were being built regardless of the World Cup as the infrastructure was really creaking here a year or two back.

Safety standards clearly aren't perfect, and there is of course the issue with not being able to leave the country freely (and I do agree with some of the reasons behind that rule), but to put it into perspective, in the uk the long term workplace death rate per 100,000 workers is 0.56, it's actually lower than this believe it or not in qatar.

It's hitting the news because of the sheer number of labourers in the country, and in fact the real news story is that the majority of people aren't dying of workplace accidents, but seemingly because of heart attacks (curiously mostly affecting Nepalis) which nobody seems able to explain. But even if all these unexplained deaths were included in the workplace statistic, it would be 5 out of every 100,000.....and you can't compare that to the British figure because every one of those is doing hard physical graft, the British stats include office jobs etc.

I'm certainly no apologist for the Qatari regime, but I'd just caution folk to look a little behind the screaming tabloid headlines before you believe everything you read or see on the telly.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:35 am

Dubaimancityfan wrote:A lot of drama and over-reaction over something that will (or might still not) happen in 7 years's time ! The only thing I'm worried about is whether I'll still be alive and kicking in 2022, not to watch the fucking World Cup but just in general !

If no cunt says anything, then it will happen.

If I'm buying a season ticket, & missing several games per season, over 3 seasons, so that Sepp Blatter can line his pockets, it feels no different to me, to my bank direct debiting a few hundred quid & paying it to Alex Ferguson, to help with his retirement. I despise both of them, & everything they do, & everything they represent, equally. I will be theived football I have paid for, by Sepp Blatter, a bloke who I would actually cheer on, if he threw himself off the Qatar Crown Tower,

If could get away with it, I'd push the cunt off it.

Why the fuck should I be alright with him making money at my expense ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:36 am

Had the bid been on the basis of a winter tournament would it have won? I doubt it. It is simply dishonest.
Even with a season finishing in May and restarting in August, players are coming back late and knackered from a World Cup. Just look at City's pre season with very much a shadow team out even at Wembley the week before kick off. Are we seriously expecting players to play a final one week and return to England for the traditional busy Xmas fixture list? If not, then we all as fans have plenty to be pissed off with. If they are, then we are asking far too much of the players.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:06 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Had the bid been on the basis of a winter tournament would it have won? I doubt it. It is simply dishonest.
Even with a season finishing in May and restarting in August, players are coming back late and knackered from a World Cup. Just look at City's pre season with very much a shadow team out even at Wembley the week before kick off. Are we seriously expecting players to play a final one week and return to England for the traditional busy Xmas fixture list? If not, then we all as fans have plenty to be pissed off with. If they are, then we are asking far too much of the players.

That is exactly what Blatter has just been fucking smiling & smarming about on Sky. He has said he wants it to finish no later than the 18th Dec, so that Scudamore & the Premier League will be happy because they can carry on with the traditional English Christmas fixtures! Then presumably all those players who returned from the World Cup, happily get stuck into the rest of the season & some pehaps play in two cups, Europe & a title fight, until late fucking July, perhaps a Champions League final for some, round about August!!

Or do they just play a solid 3 games a week & get it done by mid July ?

Then have a couple of weeks off & start the next season (& the qualifiers for the European Championships/AFCON etc).

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:17 am

You could see the League Cup being sacrificed to cram the season into a shorter time. I would be less than happy with that. And for what? To fit in with Fifa's folly.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:41 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:You could see the League Cup being sacrificed to cram the season into a shorter time. I would be less than happy with that. And for what? To fit in with Fifa's folly.

Not fair on the lower league clubs, to sacrifice a cup. The top sides have the option of leaving players out.

I'm wondering how many years this will take to sort out. If they jump straight in from the season before & the season after, then the oter two seasons before & after that, will start to bump into the European Championships. Players won't get any proper rest there either.

You'd have Euros, early start season, another early start season with the world cup in the middle & a late finish, late start season with late finish straight into the Euros again. It might end up having to move the Euros along at either end, then having to change two more seasons, so that each season only moves a bit rather than a huge jump !

It could interfere with 6 football seasons!

I bet Blatter hasn't even bothered to think about it a great deal. Just pocket the cash, make it work one way or another.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum