Record TV deal to be announced

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Record TV deal to be announced

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:34 am

I think today is the day when the sealed bids are opened and the winners are announced for the coming seasons 2016-2019 and it is expected to top the £4bn mark.

A couple of articles on this subject below, one from BBC's Dan Roan interviewing super agent George Mendes

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31331496

And another interview with Lord Grade who oversaw the ITV bid for the champions league games.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31165360

Interesting that he mentions Google as a possible suitor, I didn't think about them TBH, but you never know! However, I fully expect SKY to be the winners once again.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Record TV deal to be announced

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:56 am

I am not sure that Sky could afford to lose the rights. That said observing some of BTs strategy across the board at the moment I would not be surprised if there was not an aggressive bid from them - and as it is a sealed bidding process this could take Sky by surprise.

Being experienced in managing major bids using this process I really think that there could be a shock.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:20 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:I am not sure that Sky could afford to lose the rights. That said observing some of BTs strategy across the board at the moment I would not be surprised if there was not an aggressive bid from them - and as it is a sealed bidding process this could take Sky by surprise.

Being experienced in managing major bids using this process I really think that there could be a shock.

I agree , I will laugh my arse off if those cock suckers at sky lose out...the bias has gone on long enough.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:29 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:I am not sure that Sky could afford to lose the rights. That said observing some of BTs strategy across the board at the moment I would not be surprised if there was not an aggressive bid from them - and as it is a sealed bidding process this could take Sky by surprise.

I agree , I will laugh my arse off if those cock suckers at sky lose out...the bias has gone on long enough.

So would I, but like the first one when they won the rights from Itv etc, they have probably got a man on the inside.

How the fuck they got away with that, I will never know.

This is what domestic ffp is all about, & what Ashley, Kenwright, the West Ham goblins, etc etc have all been waiting for. Piss myself if ffp is thrown out & the Sheikh decides to destroy the fucking lot of them.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:36 pm

The real loser in all of this of course being the average paying fan.

Lets say BeIN sports or Google or whoever win a tv package, you then have TV games on Sky, BeIN, BT Sport and thus 3 different providers; this means that you likely have to pay 3 different subscriptions to see all the games, meaning it costs you more.

Sky may be shite, but Ive baulked at paying £12.99 a month for BT Sport these past couple of years, just to listen to oxygen thiefs like Owen and Des Kelly; similarly I wont be subscribing to any more than one provider with this new deal. The Pub, Lady Joan of Rivers and (hopefully) being at the game.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:42 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:The real loser in all of this of course being the average paying fan.

Lets say BeIN sports or Google or whoever win a tv package, you then have TV games on Sky, BeIN, BT Sport and thus 3 different providers; this means that you likely have to pay 3 different subscriptions to see all the games, meaning it costs you more.

Sky may be shite, but Ive baulked at paying £12.99 a month for BT Sport these past couple of years, just to listen to oxygen thiefs like Owen and Des Kelly; similarly I wont be subscribing to any more than one provider with this new deal. The Pub, Lady Joan of Rivers and (hopefully) being at the game.

It would be much better with one provider, but I fear you will be correct & we'll end up with more still than now.

If Sky lost the football, I bet a fair percentage of people would fuck it off altogether.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby sheblue » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Whoever gets it. This can only mean the cost of subscriptions going up.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:34 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Agreed.

And perhaps a perfect day to remember Peter Swales wise words when Sky bought up the rights originally, that the TV audience will subsidise the ticket-price of the match-going fan. Alelluliah, Peter!
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Whilst it is a sealed bid - and despite my earlier post - if Sky were at risk of losing I think we would have heard some rumours leaking out or some more bullish statements from the other bidders, but I really hope that Sky do get a kick up the arse.

If BT were to win they might look to Chelski and ourselves as the top clubs to cosy up to in the same way it was the scum and scouse for Sky - losing their Sky promotion would be a big blow to the scum and might hasten their decline.

What I really would like to see is the Sheik buy-in to a broadcasting company and then win the rights - but I guess that would cause conflicts with him owning us - Sky had to sell their 10% ownership of the scum is memory serves me right.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Slim » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:46 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:Whilst it is a sealed bid - and despite my earlier post - if Sky were at risk of losing I think we would have heard some rumours leaking out or some more bullish statements from the other bidders, but I really hope that Sky do get a kick up the arse.

If BT were to win they might look to Chelski and ourselves as the top clubs to cosy up to in the same way it was the scum and scouse for Sky - losing their Sky promotion would be a big blow to the scum and might hasten their decline.

What I really would like to see is the Sheik buy-in to a broadcasting company and then win the rights - but I guess that would cause conflicts with him owning us - Sky had to sell their 10% ownership of the scum is memory serves me right.

Does it work the other way as well though? Buying a network to promote yourself is something the dippers and rags have both done since.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:The real loser in all of this of course being the average paying fan.

It would be much better with one provider, but I fear you will be correct & we'll end up with more still than now.

If Sky lost the football, I bet a fair percentage of people would fuck it off altogether.

Yep, I wouldn't bother with Sky....imagine the Utd fans having to pay for their season ticket to all those different providers :-)
Wonderwall

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Announcement at 5pm GMT, apparently.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby bobby brows » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:58 pm

My housemate and I pay an increasingly large fortune to Virgin Media every month and Sky Sports and BT Sport represent more than half that money.

The only reason we do is to save ourselves a much larger fortune sitting in the pub all the time. Since we got it the percentage of times I've watched City from home as opposed to going out is too probably like 90%.

If google or apple get it, I'm not forking out again. Unless its City I'm just not interested in watching most of the games enough to.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby dick dastardley » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:46 pm

get a dodgy box pay 40 quid for the year job done!!
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:52 pm

I strongly suspect BeIN will do something with BT.

The setup out here now is second to none, production is on a par if not better than sky. The huge panel of commentators and pundits that they have stolen from the UK stations is another indication to me that the outlay they are making seems nonsensical if they can't broadcast into the UK.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:11 pm

ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:meanwhile over in spain....

http://www.espnfc.com/spanish-primera-d ... huge-share

Good on them, I hope it happens for them

On another note looking at last years figures how have Liverpool earned more TV money than us, they were not in europe and nor did they get to a cup final?
Wonderwall

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:04 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

On another note looking at last years figures how have Liverpool earned more TV money than us, they were not in europe and nor did they get to a cup final?

Sky looks after its own.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Sky looks after its own.

It seemed like they were never off the TV last year.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:07 pm

TV deal £5.136 billion. And what are the odds on ticket prices coming down?
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum