How to recognise long standing and loyal supporters

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: How to recognise long standing and loyal supporters

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Just my $0.02 but Ive been going to City regularly since 1977 when I was age 6, hadn't seen us win a carrot until 2011 and personally speaking I thought the days in the third tier and indeed the years 1993 - 1999 were the absolute fookin pits and I don't look back on them with any fondness.

The football was god awful, the team was shite, the managers door was a revolving one, we became a bloody laughing stock and some of the shitehouse teams we lost to, and many of the shit players who wore our shirt still make me cringe. The shit that we had to watch for years was an endurance test but certainly wasn't an experience I long for ever again!

Give me the Sheikh Mansour years every time please, and twice on sunday. The footballs about 300 times better, the players we watch are among the best in the world and the core of fans remain the same with our gallows humour and incredible loyalty. City have a hardcore of about 35-40k who will go come what may and they remain there now, despite the successes and failures. They were there before the Swales shambles set the club back umpteen years, and they are largely still there now.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:42 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:What about the ones who had already done all that, several times, during 50 years previous, & still stuck it out & went through it all again ?

Agreed - isn't all that just part of being a CITY fan?

If you have been a long-standing CITY fan then you will have been through all that and not been fazed - and there are a very many who have done the journey.

I feel a little sorry (perversely) for those who were not around in the 60's and onwards - they will never know the highs and lows that the long standing fans have faced. Strangely they will never experienced - and probably not understand how the highs (and I mean days like Gillingham and Blackburn rather than QPR) were so extra special because of a mind set and camaraderie that was forged out of decades of 'being a CITY fan'.

I remember so often seeing the same faces at away grounds - on the trains and in the pubs before and after matches - we 'knew' we were going to lose - but we were still able to enjoy ourselves - sounds like a bit of an illness really.

Addressing the topic though - surely it can only be judged on a few obvious factors, years a SC holder, numbers of games attended etc. No ideal method so just have to use what they have facts on?

Was tidying out the loft earlier this week and found a box which contained several newspapers from the day after the Blackburn game. And my Paul Lake testimonial programme. Memories.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:13 am

Goaters 103 wrote:Just my $0.02 but Ive been going to City regularly since 1977 when I was age 6, hadn't seen us win a carrot until 2011 and personally speaking I thought the days in the third tier and indeed the years 1993 - 1999 were the absolute fookin pits and I don't look back on them with any fondness.

The football was god awful, the team was shite, the managers door was a revolving one, we became a bloody laughing stock and some of the shitehouse teams we lost to, and many of the shit players who wore our shirt still make me cringe. The shit that we had to watch for years was an endurance test but certainly wasn't an experience I long for ever again!

Give me the Sheikh Mansour years every time please, and twice on sunday. The footballs about 300 times better, the players we watch are among the best in the world and the core of fans remain the same with our gallows humour and incredible loyalty. City have a hardcore of about 35-40k who will go come what may and they remain there now, despite the successes and failures. They were there before the Swales shambles set the club back umpteen years, and they are largely still there now.

I accept all that - and of course I doubt anyone would swap those days for what has happened since the Sheik arrived - but the key thing is that in those days we had no expectation just dreams. No one thought that dreams might actually come true and I guess we were all deeply (and collectively) depressed - but fuck we were loyal. Some of the managers (and even the stupid policy of continually sacking them)!! - some of the football they played - groan. Those were the days when 'typical CITY' was a way of life. It took real mettle to stick with that, but I guess that is what the 'identification of loyalty' should be about. I might be wrong but you may be a blue because of your family - so many of us 'kept the faith'.

That is why we were limited to the 30-40K fans that you mention. It was part of us and we passed it on whilst the likes of red scouse and the scum attracted 'followers' - but it was that loyal core that kept our club alive - through thin and thin. I am not suggesting that I would rather have those days, only that in a sense I am glad to have been through them - it makes me appreciate what the Sheik has done for us all the more.

People moan (and scum fans love pointing out) that we do not fill our stadium and question why we are expanding - but it is because we entered recent times with that 40k following and it takes time for a new generation to become attached through choice rather than inherited loyalty). But that will happen and we will have increased attending and global following - it is guaranteed and just needs time. Whilst I would gladly swap their lot because it means that I would be younger - I have experienced something that I am glad to have been through (perverse I know).
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:17 am

I'd have rather just had the bit where we went down to the 3rd & came back up through the two leagues again, without all the other fucking shite, if I'm honest.

That was enough character building shite for me, without the other 30 years.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Agreed - character building is one thing - but no need for all the martyrdom level shite that we went through.

If we could use hindsight and be selective, I also would opt out of a couple of decades. I might just take on a bit more than you suggest though - I need my badge of honour to show sufficient pain that I do not sound like one of those rags that bleat about 'knowing the hard times' just because they went down for 1 party year.
Last edited by mcfc1632 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm going to give my badge to Yaya for his birthday.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby City64 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:44 am

Walsall away , Oxford United away , Shrewsbury away , Barnsley away , Oldham away , Lincoln City away , Blackpool away , Swindon Town away ............ I was there , oh the joys !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby ruralblue » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:05 pm

A great way of recognising long standing support would be for the team to go out onto the pitch fighting for the game and going out there to win.
Throw in some decent corners and some shots from outside the box and we might just start to reward the fans by taking teams apart.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby sweenyuk » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:12 am

ruralblue wrote:A great way of recognising long standing support would be for the team to go out onto the pitch fighting for the game and going out there to win.
Throw in some decent corners and some shots from outside the box and we might just start to reward the fans by taking teams apart.

Exactly, todays fan has become the least important part of the club. I was at this meeting and always knew the reward would be negligible but a bloody pin badge for 15+ years of loyal support of a team and manager that now blank the fans at every game is insulting. The problem is those of us who have supported through thin and thinner in the days where the only teams we would expect to beat would be Hull, Middlesbrough, Stoke etc will just keep renewing, how many of those on the waiting list who will get hold of their first season ticket next season will renew to watch a team so lacking in passion and support a club so distant from the fans.
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum