****City v Hamburg official Match Thread****

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ****City v Hamburg official Match Thread****

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
blues2win wrote:Bad miss by Celina when clean through but we must pursue with them. Very disappointed if one or two don't start against Boro.

The one who did himself a power of good was Evans. Looked calm and assured on the ball and the pass for the Jovetic goal was a peach. He definitely has good vision and the ability to play a long pass is there.Top level midfield in a truly competitive game might be something else but well done George.

Good for Barker to get his first taste. Didn't do a lot wrong but didn't really show the belief to do what he does best. Celina I know has bags of talent and I am surprised he took that shot on as early as he did but in a way it shows the confidence that he thought he could chip the keeper.I would have preferred the one and one take it round the keeper goal.

The "experienced" player who did himself most good was Boyata. Looked good to me and definitely worth his place in the squad.

Agree about Dedryk. He has played a few games now & on no occasion has he fucked up as badly as the other 3 cbs do regularly. i think he fully deserves his place in the squad & if we can continue to repair the confidence Mancini shattered, just maybe he will strat to live up to the promise he had as a kid.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blues2win » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:45 pm

The truth is that both Aguero and Dzeko need a lot of time to get match sharp after injury. They should both start against Boro imo. I hope Barker gets another start but he did look a bit knackered at half time. Evans was excellent and, as Doug said, Boyata did well. I'd start he and Mangala for the Boro match. Gods knows what's happened to Vinny so he's likely out for the weekend. Obviously the other worry is the injury to Ambrose.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby twosips » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Both Kun & Edin look fucking miles off the pace in both games imo. But it's good news Ed has scored. Aguero is 2 3 yards down on pace compared to pre injury. Both need mins v Boro.

George Evans looked very comfortable indeed. Been playing cb in the EDS but his distribution there has been excellent. All of these kids would be much closer to first team level, if they had been given a few more minutes previously. It's such a new thing for them, they are playing accordingly.

Having Sinclair on the pitch instead of ANY kid, is an absolute joke. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets on v Boro & the kids don't.

Makes me fucking sick tbh.

I found it interesting 1st half, how much longer Kolarov took to get the ball to Barker than Angelino does. Makes the difference between the defenders being set & not.

Thought he exact same thing. Kolarov was his recent cumbersome self sadly.

Also the Sinclair thing too... depressing isn't it? Really properly leaves me feeling glum.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby twosips » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:55 pm

Boyata was genuinely mint by the way. Strong, tidy and composed. Minimum fuss kind of defender.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:16 pm

twosips wrote:Boyata was genuinely mint by the way. Strong, tidy and composed. Minimum fuss kind of defender.

As Ted alluded to a little earlier, I wonder if this season will see Boyota's footballing 'rehabilitation' and in him becoming a valued, consistent and dependable squad player, for the full benefit of the Club.

I think we'd all like to see that and surely, all considerations of English/homegrown factors aside, Pellegrini must see something in Boyota for him to be retained at City, when others have departed. The Manager persisted with DeMichelis, in spite of his more than shaky start when he first came to us and I just feel Dedryck deserves to receive the same kind of support.

Given that kind of support, he might just save us some future cash outlay in the transfer market.

I think you called it correctly when you described him as a "minimum fuss kind of defender" and, to my mind, there's absolutely nothing wrong in being that.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:17 pm

twosips wrote:Boyata was genuinely mint by the way. Strong, tidy and composed. Minimum fuss kind of defender.

Agree about Boyata. Pity we didnt see more kids, but game time for Kun and Dzeko is much needed. Neither looked like they were stretching themselves.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

As Ted alluded to a little earlier, I wonder if this season will see Boyota's footballing 'rehabilitation' and in him becoming a valued, consistent and dependable squad player, for the full benefit of the Club.

I think we'd all like to see that and surely, all considerations of English/homegrown factors aside, Pellegrini must see something in Boyota for him to be retained at City, when others have departed. The Manager persisted with DeMichelis, in spite of his more than shaky start when he first came to us and I just feel Dedryck deserves to receive the same kind of support.

Given that kind of support, he might just save us some future cash outlay in the transfer market.

I think you called it correctly when you described him as a "minimum fuss kind of defender" and, to my mind, there's absolutely nothing wrong in being that.

I quite like that kind of defenders
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Saul Goodman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Didnt get to watch any of it. Hopefully some extended highlights will hit the OS.

Howd the kids do?
Did Lampard get injured? Is that why he was subbed so early?
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby twosips » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

The thing is he has everything. He's strong, tall, quick and has proven he's actually decent on the ball.

The one thing he lacked was composure and that was seemingly cos we absolutely knackered him up by expecting too much too soon and it messed up his confidence. It's very possible that he's simply just got older and eventually experiences like that can just be forgotten about. He doesn't look anywhere near as panicky as he has done in the past and he just gets on with it and he might have just needed that quiet year or two to get his head back together.

He's not even that old - 24 and won't turn 25 until November - that's a decent age for a centre back. He could just develop into this really sturdy composed centre back that takes everything quite nonchalantly in his stride... and that'd be nice wouldn't it?

He definitely deserves a break either way.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Pellegrini does not seem to be a break-giver though. I hope that changes.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

Pellegrini does not seem to be a break-giver though. I hope that changes.

Mmmm

Boyota is being retained whilst Nastasic is now being dispensed with and, last season he persevered with both DeMichelis and Garcia.

Moreover, Pellegrini has let Sinclair play on occasion so, perhaps, there's a little more 'break-giving' in our Manager than we are giving him credit for.

In Boyota's case, I certainly hope so.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Moreover, Pellegrini has let Sinclair play on occasion so, perhaps, there's a little more 'break-giving' in our Manager than we are giving him credit for.

Well, I'd disagree on that. I think playing Sinclair is the opposite of giving someone a chance, as it seems clear he doesn't feature in Pellegrini's plans. His space could have been taken by an academy or EDS player. As for Boyata, I really hope he's given more chances but I fear he's just being used by Pellegrini as a homegrown cover for the centre back spot. I don't think, although I cannot be sure of course, that Boyata will feature more than sporadically for the rest of his tenure here.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby phips » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:As for Boyata, I really hope he's given more chances but I fear he's just being used by Pellegrini as a homegrown cover for the centre back spot. I don't think, although I cannot be sure of course, that Boyata will feature more than sporadically for the rest of his tenure here.

thats most likely correct
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Seems to be some love for Boyata on here, however, he gives me a coronary every time he is in the first 11 for a competitive match. He just doesnt seem to have the composure when under pressure. Purely my opinion but I would not play him if it were my choice.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby sheblue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:28 pm

He gives the impression he lacks a bit of confidence, that sending off against Arsenal probably did him a fair bit of damage. I would like to see him given more chances, Saturday is perfect for that.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:46 pm

I think Boyata will just be another Matt Mills. I hope not, but he'll most likely spend most of his career in the Championship .
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Me too. I'm old fashioned in the way first and foremost I want my defenders to defend. Block shots, tackle, give the forward a going over, make a nuisance of themselves, harry and chase. The fancy dan stuff I'd leave to the midfielders and forwards
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:10 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Me too. I'm old fashioned in the way first and foremost I want my defenders to defend. Block shots, tackle, give the forward a going over, make a nuisance of themselves, harry and chase. The fancy dan stuff I'd leave to the midfielders and forwards

Wasn't there a debate last season on if you couldn't win beautifully, it wasn't worth winning?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Wasn't there a debate last season on if you couldn't win beautifully, it wasn't worth winning?

Let the midfielders and forwards play the beautiful stuff. All the great sides played their stuff in the final third, not the first third. All I'm saying
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:39 pm

nottsblue wrote:Let the midfielders and forwards play the beautiful stuff. All the great sides played their stuff in the final third, not the first third. All I'm saying

I'm in the same mould mate, you stop a goal then it means you don't have to score 2.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum