kompany - trading on past glory?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: kompany - trading on past glory?

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:53 pm

He seemed to be rushed back from injury when he was nowhere near fit. As a result, he was dreadful. That seemed to affect his confidence and now almost everything goes wrong. Do we try and play him through it, accepting it may cost us some more games, but does that matter now, or do we drop him for a few and try and get back on track whilst he sorts his head out?

Zaba is also awful, but is Kolo's heavier brother really an alternative? Perhaps better defensively, but has offered nothing going forwards this season which was a big factor is our success last season.

Whatever he decides, picking a back four and playing them regardless for 4 or 5 games is a must. The constant changing isn't helping.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby sheblue » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Whatever about vinny zabba looks fooked at the moment.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby hartfordsheartbeat » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Amazingly we have only conceded 27 in 27 league games which is exactly the same as last season . I thought it was far more considering some of the keystone cops stuff we have served up this season. The real problem is we are around 15 goals behind on last season in the goals scored column. The team is aging quickly now, this coupled with the unwillingness of some to close down the opposition is the real problem here. I don't think anyone could look good when the opposition get a free run at the back four all game. to those who think we should let vinny go, think of what we have spent (unsuccessfully for the most part) trying to replace lescott.
hartfordsheartbeat

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Zabba's fall from grace is equally, if not more spectacular
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby City64 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:59 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Zabba's fall from grace is equally, if not more spectacular

Zabba had some very good moments today but this season he has generally been half the player he was the previous 2 or 3 seasons , think the same can be said of Vinny . It is a huge problem as neither player is getting any younger .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Slim » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:30 am

Slim wrote:Thank you Vincent, we've lost the next game already.

Worst thing he's done in the last two years is get a "rallying cry" in the media before a game. Fairly certain we've dropped points in every single one of them and given a piss poor performance as well.

Three years ago we had #together, this year we need to get #shutupkompany trending.

Called it.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:53 am

hartfordsheartbeat wrote:Amazingly we have only conceded 27 in 27 league games which is exactly the same as last season . I thought it was far more considering some of the keystone cops stuff we have served up this season. The real problem is we are around 15 goals behind on last season in the goals scored column. The team is aging quickly now, this coupled with the unwillingness of some to close down the opposition is the real problem here. I don't think anyone could look good when the opposition get a free run at the back four all game. to those who think we should let vinny go, think of what we have spent (unsuccessfully for the most part) trying to replace lescott.

Would this suggest that Lescott is/has been irreplaceable ??

I think Carl and Ted might have differing viewpoints on such a thought.

Seriously though, you're spot on with the goals scored and conceded statistics, which makes me wonder about what we might want to consider.

Should we actually contemplate giving up the high pressing game that Pellegrini wants to play and defend deeper, with more accent on counter-attacking more quickly ?? If this were the case, we would need a major overhaul of the team to make this effective and should we ponder the unthinkeable and sell the following players, to help fund new acquisitions :-

Aguero - it's been claimed he can't play on his own up front, he has too many injuries and we would receive a very high price for him.

Yaya - he's been our talisman and is always a potential match winner, but playing him in the team causes as many structural problems in the formation, as the benefits he confers. He's also not getting any younger but we could still command a decent fee for him.

Kolarov - does he offer enough going forward, to counterbalance his defensive deficiencies ??

Jovetic - a veritable sicknote.

Navas - does he provide enough variety to the team and is he good enough for where we want to go ??

Fernando - I still think he has a lot to prove, perhaps too much, to merit a place in the team.

Kompany - he still has a good reputation and would command a sizeable fee and he might prosper in a different team. At the moment, I would almost - and I say almost - replace him by a no-nonsense, whole-hearted centre-back who, although lacking in subtlety and balls skills, would bring an effective and rugged element to our defence.......perhaps someone of the ilk of Ryan Shawcross (shudder, shudder) or even some committed Championship center- back who only wanted to tackle and knew his limitations.

On the other hand, would all the above players benefit and thrive in a different style of play, even though it might mean abandoning our all out attacking style.

I'm not saying we should do any of this, but things aren't working for us at the moment and I'm just pondering what should be changed and by how much.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:31 am

I said similar a few weeks ago Doug, about a number of 'sacred cows' whom one dare not criticise or talk of selling.

For me Silva is a key part of the Kompany problem. We have become so totally reliant on him, yet he has been at the club for 4 seasons and still doesn't hold down a clear position or place in the team. He is shifted week in week out dependent upon which other midfielders are fit.

That suggests to me that both Mancini and Pellegrini feel he has deficiencies which do not warrant him playing in a midfield 2, and so we have to sacrifice a striker to accommodate him or play him on the wing where he drifts in and doesn't protect the fullback. As great a player as he is, if we have to change the whole system to accommodate him, or leave other players exposed, we need to sell him, because part of the issue with the defence is that the midfield changed by 2 or 3 players every single week depending on how much we need to accommodate or compensate for silva - it's no fucking wonder they aren't at the races!

We then have the conundrum that accommodating silva in the centre would often leave aguero or Dzeko up on his own, and frankly both are shit at the job. Shaun Goater would be more effective. Hopefully bony sorts that, but where then for aguero?

I personally think there are huge questionmarks over the positions of he whole spine of the team at the moment, and I would have to seriously consider the positions of hart, Kompany for their erratic performances, but particularly Silva and Aguero as often we are fucked from the start trying to shoehorn these into a system that won't see us overrun, but leaves us toothless in attack
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:52 pm

The City skipper was in the spotlight after just 11 minutes of his side’s 2-1 defeat at Liverpool as Philippe Coutinho snatched the ball off him and raced away towards Joe Hart’s goal before finding Jordan Henderson, who curled the ball into the top corner.

Kompany was heavily criticised for his performance during City’s Champions League defeat to Barcelona and Neville dubbed the Belgium international 'Mr Rash’ after watching an unconvincing display at Anfield.

“Vincent Kompany has turned into Mr Rash,” the former Manchester United full-back said

“I don’t know what’s happened to him. He needs to settle his game down. Kompany loses out on a 50-50 with Coutinho.

“He’s going through a difficult moment, Vincent Kompany. It’s hard to know where his next good game is coming from.

“We’ve all been through those periods. He’s usually someone who is so dominant and a leader for this team, every time the ball goes near him he’s struggling.”

Manuel Pellegrini admitted he had spoken to Kompany following City's 2-1 defeat to the La Liga side and the stats back up Neville's assertion that the centre-back has gone off the boil.

City's win rate with Kompany at the heart of their defence is just under 58 per cent and the 28-year-old has won just 53 per centof his duels this term.

Fellow Sky Sports expert Jamie Carragher also criticised his display against Brendan Rodgers' side, but also pointed to failings in midfield.

The former England defender, reflecting on Kompany's failed attempt to dispossess Coutinho, said: “Vincent Kompany, one of the best centre-backs in world football, that is a shocking challenge. It might sound crude but he’s either got to win the ball or foul Coutinho.

“Brendan Rodgers would have been delighted when he saw Manchester City playing 4-4-2. We always talk about the problems City have in the centre of midfield.

“Because those two central midfielders are not aware of what’s going on around them, the knock-on effect is that Kompany feels he has to step in when it’s not his job. Mangala is then left on his own."

But another former Liverpool defender, Phil Thompson, jumped to the defence of Kompany, claiming his confidence has been affected by Pellegrini’s tendencies to chop and change his back four.

“I think the biggest problem is actually who’s playing alongside him,” Thompson told Sky Sports.

“They’ve changed their back four so much this season and, for me, it’s knocking Kompany’s confidence.

“Zabaleta has not been as good this year, while Clichy and Kolarov are being alternated between games.

“And the centre-half alongside him, whether it be Mangala or Demichelis, are changing far too often too. There’s no consistency around him and it’s causing him to underperform.”
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:07 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
The City skipper was in the spotlight after just 11 minutes of his side’s 2-1 defeat at Liverpool as Philippe Coutinho snatched the ball off him and raced away towards Joe Hart’s goal before finding Jordan Henderson, who curled the ball into the top corner.

Kompany was heavily criticised for his performance during City’s Champions League defeat to Barcelona and Neville dubbed the Belgium international 'Mr Rash’ after watching an unconvincing display at Anfield.

“Vincent Kompany has turned into Mr Rash,” the former Manchester United full-back said

“I don’t know what’s happened to him. He needs to settle his game down. Kompany loses out on a 50-50 with Coutinho.

“He’s going through a difficult moment, Vincent Kompany. It’s hard to know where his next good game is coming from.

“We’ve all been through those periods. He’s usually someone who is so dominant and a leader for this team, every time the ball goes near him he’s struggling.”

Manuel Pellegrini admitted he had spoken to Kompany following City's 2-1 defeat to the La Liga side and the stats back up Neville's assertion that the centre-back has gone off the boil.

City's win rate with Kompany at the heart of their defence is just under 58 per cent and the 28-year-old has won just 53 per centof his duels this term.

Fellow Sky Sports expert Jamie Carragher also criticised his display against Brendan Rodgers' side, but also pointed to failings in midfield.

The former England defender, reflecting on Kompany's failed attempt to dispossess Coutinho, said: “Vincent Kompany, one of the best centre-backs in world football, that is a shocking challenge. It might sound crude but he’s either got to win the ball or foul Coutinho.

“Brendan Rodgers would have been delighted when he saw Manchester City playing 4-4-2. We always talk about the problems City have in the centre of midfield.

“Because those two central midfielders are not aware of what’s going on around them, the knock-on effect is that Kompany feels he has to step in when it’s not his job. Mangala is then left on his own."

But another former Liverpool defender, Phil Thompson, jumped to the defence of Kompany, claiming his confidence has been affected by Pellegrini’s tendencies to chop and change his back four.

“I think the biggest problem is actually who’s playing alongside him,” Thompson told Sky Sports.

“They’ve changed their back four so much this season and, for me, it’s knocking Kompany’s confidence.

“Zabaleta has not been as good this year, while Clichy and Kolarov are being alternated between games.

“And the centre-half alongside him, whether it be Mangala or Demichelis, are changing far too often too. There’s no consistency around him and it’s causing him to underperform.”

interesting...as i suspect that if we start Mangler and MDM yesterday we probably at least draw.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:45 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

interesting...as i suspect that if we start Mangler and MDM yesterday we probably at least draw.

cheers

That's an interesting thought. Personally I would have gone with Vince & Demi, thinking that the experience of MDM would've given Komp's a bit of confidence, seeing we'll play him regardless.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby PrezIke » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:28 am

my sense is he is trying so hard to help that he feels with his ability he can make the risky tackle or interception, but it's not going as planned at times, and our midfielders constantly leave he and our other defenders exposed. i wonder if he does not feel he can trust the rest as much so maybe he is trying to overcompensate due to concerns about his defensive partners' weaknesses and other teammates who are struggling or not as strong in defence themselves.

last year nasti was poor, and mdm was beaten regularly too frequently until gaining form later in the year. then mangala comes in, but he's inexperienced and makes some poor decisons that get the team into trouble. then we see the inconsistent form of our fullbacks and ask why vinny should feel confidence in his back line? notice the form dropped after those messages became clearer.

confidence may be a problem as well, but if we had a more consistently fluid play from other players he would not have as many problems.

i think he played better in the 2nd half against pool, and i saw some good plays that show the ability is there.

it's madness to suggest that arguably one of the world's best at his position would suddenly forgetten how to play. i think the way the team is performing may also be related and that is a team morale issue that may also correlate to the mix of players and even pellegrini's tactics and philosophy. i have criticised mancini, but komps came to be who he is under him. i am a pellegrini supporter, but i think he has now shown the kind of understanding of and focus on defence that maybe his own defenders are aware of. as if they are merely a means to an end, not something to take pride in.

don't want to read into it too much, as there are periods when people struggle even when they have quality. historically vinny has been wildly consistent so this is going to evoke stronger reactions than if he was not like that as much perhaps. slagging him off and talking up selling him seems so short sided especially given the limited options out there at his position with his talent that you have to hold tight and hope other variables will change and we will see him return to the player we have come to know and love.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:59 am

PrezIke wrote:it's madness to suggest that arguably one of the world's best at his position would suddenly forgetten how to play.

But it's not sudden, he has been poor for near on 2.5 seasons now, and was not even the best centre half at city in our title season, let alone the world, with Lescott being by far the better defender that year.

PrezIke wrote:historically vinny has been wildly consistent so this is going to evoke stronger reactions than if he was not like that as much perhaps

No, he has generally been wildly inconsistent. There is some sort of misguided fairy tale that Kompany has been a fantastic player for city upto recently. He was excellent for perhaps 2 seasons under Mancini. Beyond that, and definitely since Lescott was bombed out by Mancini, he's largely alternated between poor and average, playing little better than had we stuck with Boyata.

The myth that surrounds Kompany is the same as the one surrounding john terry, last ditch tackles, the 'hero' - unfortunately his last ditch tackles are generally making up for him being rash and jumping in further up the pitch and having to desperately charge back. He shouldn't be applauded for such heroics, he should have been fucking dropped a long time ago.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby freshie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 am

freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Bleed_Blue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 am

Man City's Vincent Kompany 'was dropped after blazing row with Fernandinho at half-time of Liverpool loss'

Vincent Kompany was dropped for Manchester City’s game against Leicester after an alleged dressing-room meltdown during their preceding defeat to Liverpool.

An insider at the club claims 28-year-old City captain Kompany was involved in a half-time confrontation with midfielder Fernandinho at Anfield, which left team-mates fearing that the pair would come to blows.

Kompany allegedly refused to calm down, even when boss Manuel Pellegrini tried to step in to defuse the row.

Brazilian Fernandinho was not involved at all three days later against bottom club Leicester, and Kompany was left out of the starting line-up as the champions won, 2-0.

It remains to be seen whether Pellegrini will allow the skipper back into the side for Saturday’s trip to Burnley.

The centre-back only signed a new five-deal deal worth £130,000-a-week last summer after captaining the Blues to the Premier League title for the second time in three seasons.

The alleged bust-up during the 2-1 loss to Liverpool is the latest blow in City’s troubled season.

The Etihad club are five points behind league leaders Chelsea having played one more match, are struggling to stay in the Champions League - they trail Barcelona 2-1 going into the second leg of their last-16 tie in Spain next Wednesday - and with doubts over Pellegrini’s position.

Mirror Sport understands, however, that the players remain committed to their boss and that it is Kompany’s standing which may have been affected after his Anfield tirade.

The alleged incident is said to have started soon after the players arrived back in the visitors’ dressing room at half-time.

Kompany had been at fault in the lead-up to Jordan Henderson’s 11th-minute goal, which had put Liverpool ahead before Edin Dzeko equalised for City.

In the dressing room, Kompany was blasted by midfielder Fernandinho, who told him to pay more attention and to buck up his ideas for the second half.

Kompany, however, insisted the Brazilian could not tell him what to do.

The two are then said to have argued so furiously that others stepped in, fearing things would get out of hand.

When Pellegrini eventually got involved, he sided with Fernandinho.

Former Real Madrid boss Pellegrini instructed Kompany that he needed listen to the former Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder, who was only trying to help and advise him for the good of the team.

Kompany, however, is understood to have reacted even more angrily to the City boss’s comments.

Sources claim he continued his tirade and rounded on anyone who challenged him - uncharacteristic actions said to have stunned onlookers.

Manchester City were unavailable to comment on the allegations.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... as-5307437

These kind of things happen at every club and every now and then, Kompany deserves a talking to and getting dropped nothing big in this.
Bleed_Blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby phips » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:51 am

IF the art about Kompany saying Fern can't tell him what to do is true…i repeat, IF (since apparently people can't seem to understand what i write)..then thats horribly disappointing from the captain. the captain isn't just the one who gets to wear the armband, lead out the team, and confront a ref. he's supposed to lead the squad on and off the pitch and if he can't take criticism and/or suggestions from others then that's a terrible leader. again, IF.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:32 am

Aah, the Daily Mirror....
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:12 am

phips wrote:IF the art about Kompany saying Fern can't tell him what to do is true…i repeat, IF (since apparently people can't seem to understand what i write)..then thats horribly disappointing from the captain. the captain isn't just the one who gets to wear the armband, lead out the team, and confront a ref. he's supposed to lead the squad on and off the pitch and if he can't take criticism and/or suggestions from others then that's a terrible leader. again, IF.

viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:55 am

I don't care if its true or not , Id sell him regardless at the end of this season.He obviously believes his own fuckign hype and sneers at any criticism directed towards him (Hes already gone on record saying he couldn't care less whats said about him and takes no notice....his words) ....hes been fuckign average to shit for 2 years and has probablycost us the title this year ...all on his own.

If this is true about Fernandhino then good for him ,I said the players were arguing among themselves in that match.......having captain fuck up at the back , Is it so surprising?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby kinkylola » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:49 am

I don't think what's said in the article is something that "happens at every club." It's pretty shocking and telling that both kompo and fernandinho were dropped in the next match. If he got even more enraged at Pelligrini, that's a serious attitude problem. It needs to be sorted asap. Onlooker's, IE the rest of the team, being so shocked as to have to pull them apart is not normal. If it was normal, they would not have been shocked.

This is assuming the article is not a pile of lies ... but things did seem wrong during that game.

Kompany being captain does not put him above reproach, i think it is exactly the opposite, he needs to be held to a higher standard than anyone else, and what is described in that article is not acceptable. If kompany stays with the team for another season, I could see the captaincy pass to Hart.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum