kompany - trading on past glory?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: kompany - trading on past glory?

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:
you think everyone who takes points of us treats it as a cup final and dont try against the other teams, which is stupid talk. Even though we are probably the best team over the last 3-4 years, other professional players still probably see taking points at old trafford or anfield as a bigger coup than at the etihad.

I watched Sky for the game yesterday, and EVERYONE said that this was a very unusal performance from Arsenal. They upped their game big time for us.

The reason the score was what it was yesterday was exactly what Pellegrini said, we didnt create anything with all the possession we had, we gave arsenal hope and they were able to cling on. We had plenty of opportunities and got into position but the final ball was never there, both clichy and navas had very poor games delivering that final ball and seemed happy just to win corners (which was pointless).

Arsenal sat very deep and let us come at them but there was no heroic defending. At the end of the game, we had aguero, dzeko, jovetic, lampard and silva on the pitch and still created nothing, it happens some games. I thought jovetic got on the ball alot but took up positions you would expect silva to be in. sergio got 90 mins which he needed but was largely a passenger for the game, which is expected but Navas and Clichy killed the game for me, this was a game perfectly suited for kolorov

The organisation and defensive discipline from Arsenal yesterday prevented us from being creative, this is not something you normally associate with Wenger teams.

It was just as much about Arsenal upping their game defensively as it was about our lack of final ball. To pretend otherwise is nonsense.

Exactly, Arsenal played it cute. I think Wenger took on board the criticism he's been getting about trying to play teams off the park that are actually better than them. They got it right. It's not the end of the world for City. Sergio/Kompany will get better with game time. Our fit full squad, is still the best balanced in the league, I believe. Let's see what Bony brings to the table at the end of February. We always seem to dip in mid January until the ACON s over. No need to panic. One game at a time. Just don't lose to Chelsea and make things harder than they need to be.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:53 pm

the picture in the mail, does not show Zonal marking at it's best, Vinny is marking the South Stand.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Hazy2 wrote:the picture in the mail, does not show Zonal marking at it's best, Vinny is marking the South Stand.

You're forgetting how good the South Stand is in the air.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Hazy2 wrote:the picture in the mail, does not show Zonal marking at it's best, Vinny is marking the South Stand.

I just do not get the fuckign hooha about Vinnie , I cannot believe he was brought back in for a game like this...he fucked up and we lost because of him.
His touch on the ball is average at best , his passing is probably the worst in the side and his fucking fouls in and outside the area are fuckign criminal. I just don't see why we have to base our defensive plans and personnel around this man.....if it wasn't for the enormous amount of marketing paraphernalia that has his name and pic on it, he would be sold imo.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for the chuckle.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:09 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Deadly mate.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:12 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

I just do not get the fuckign hooha about Vinnie , I cannot believe he was brought back in for a game like this...he fucked up and we lost because of him.
His touch on the ball is average at best , his passing is probably the worst in the side and his fucking fouls in and outside the area are fuckign criminal. I just don't see why we have to base our defensive plans and personnel around this man.....if it wasn't for the enormous amount of marketing paraphernalia that has his name and pic on it, he would be sold imo.

I take it you do not rate him. Who would you replace him with?
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sheblue » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:44 pm

pelligrini wanted vinny and serg to get a game under their belts ahead of the trip to chelski.
vinny will get back to his best, no doubt about it.
Last edited by sheblue on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:44 pm

This thread is fucking ridiculous. The guy is the best centre half we've had in certainly my lifetime.

Look, we got beat. Why do we always need to find a scapegoat?
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:47 pm

AntMcfc wrote:He's gone downhill since Pellegrini took over which isn't a surprise. He's a penalty box defender, that's how Mancini used him and that's what he needs to succeed. Pellegrini is quite the opposite. Pellegrini is macking a mockery of Kompany, he's ruined his reputation and not a word has been said. Bring Simeone to the club, or send Kompany to Atletico Madrid and you will see the return of the best CB in the world.

So what you're arguing is that City changes its manager and tactics, a manager and tactics that brought us two trophies last season and the most goals scored in the top division in the history of top-flight football in England, a manager and tactics that may well bring us another trophy or two this season, in order for Vincent Kompany to look good? Or sell Vincent Kompany instead? Very, very odd.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
AntMcfc wrote:He's gone downhill since Pellegrini took over which isn't a surprise. He's a penalty box defender, that's how Mancini used him and that's what he needs to succeed. Pellegrini is quite the opposite. Pellegrini is macking a mockery of Kompany, he's ruined his reputation and not a word has been said. Bring Simeone to the club, or send Kompany to Atletico Madrid and you will see the return of the best CB in the world.

So what you're arguing is that City changes its manager and tactics, a manager and tactics that brought us two trophies last season and the most goals scored in the top division in the history of top-flight football in England, a manager and tactics that may well bring us another trophy or two this season, in order for Vincent Kompany to look good? Or sell Vincent Kompany instead? Very, very odd.

You can tell me if I'm over stepping the mark here,mate. It's just that I find some of your posts a bit odd to say the least. I'm not saying you're not a genuine City supporter, but I've checked back through some of your posts on various threads and there is a common theme. Your thoughts on each subject seem very negative. I've backed up some of your argument on the Nasri missing thread, although I did put in the caveat that you didn't get your point across well. If we were to do a lot of what you are suggesting across this board I think it would have a very destabilising effect on the club. I'm sure that is not what you want. Is it?
Not telling you how to go about your business, but you joined 5 days after me, although I can't find anything in the 'New comers Introduce yourself' thread. But you don't seem to have endeared yourself to the board from some of the responses you've been getting. Have to say some of your posts have been quite antagonising. You can have opposite opinions to people on here I've found, and people won't jump down your throat. It's all in the delivery.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby ManciniLegend » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:12 pm

VK is the best centre half in the world. End of.

Anyone playing alongside Demichelis would suffer difficulties.
ManciniLegend
Carlo Nash's Debut

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Herb » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:42 pm

ManciniLegend wrote:VK is the best centre half in the world. End of.

On a good day perhaps but he has some awful off days and more often than we can really afford. I know that he wasn't fully fit yesterday but, as we've seen in previous seasons, he doesn't need to be returning from injury to have a bad 'un.
Joe Hart must top the 'replace urgently' list though - what a duffer!
If we had De Gea and the rags had Hart, we'd be top with a 9 point lead and they'd be in 12th place - that's the difference between a 'good' keeper and a 'top class' keeper - 12 places - think about it.
Herb
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City super City
My favourite player is: NOT Howler Hart!

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Herb wrote:

On a good day perhaps but he has some awful off days and more often than we can really afford. I know that he wasn't fully fit yesterday but, as we've seen in previous seasons, he doesn't need to be returning from injury to have a bad 'un.

what Did Hart do wrong? Or are you just casting your net again Herb?

DeMichelis was beyond shite yesterday, he gave the ball away countless times and when he wasn't even under pressure. Truly shocking and not like him, he has been consistently good of late.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I think an often overlooked part of the problem is pellers attacking approach.

How many times have top teams defenders been accuse of being shit on here in the last 10 years? Barca, madrid, the scum all had their defenders labeled shit while their teams were at their best. When teams bomb loads of players forwards and dominate posession they are prone to getting caught on the counter or 1v1/2v2 etc in transition and that's when reckless challenges occur. That and like keepers if they have fuck all to do for half a game it's easy to switch off.

It's a lot more noticeable when we do fuck all up the other end, which sadly has been a lot more often this season than last.

Very true, but that manifsets itself as goals like that herbert scored for Stoke & Lukaku getting 1v1s in our box though.

The goals Arsenal scored weren't down to our attacking approach, they were just purely down to shit defending. We actually coped with most of the situations when we were legitimately caught out.

Also while I fully agree that the attacking style puts extra pressure on the defenders, I tend to think that the teams you mention have actually genuinely had a lot of shit defenders (not all, but a lot) and their attacking flair has masked it. In the rags case, their reputation intimidating teams into missing easy chances, pretty much every game (happening every week now even when they have 10 in their own half). It will be interesting to see how this new, bright, confident Arsenal plays vs the rags. If they don't miss a load of open nets then roll over & die, it will be a first.

They won their cup final this year.

you think everyone who takes points of us treats it as a cup final and dont try against the other teams, which is stupid talk. Even though we are probably the best team over the last 3-4 years, other professional players still probably see taking points at old trafford or anfield as a bigger coup than at the etihad.

Indeed. Hence why they bottle it when they play there. You are agreeing with me. We are the champions but they fancy it more vs us, than vs the old guard.

Arsenal are the biggest bottlers of all. If things remain as they are, there will come a day when Arsenal resign themselves to finishing behind City, & they will start to roll over for us like they do for the rags. At the moment, they produce their best game almost every time they play us, then they think they will challenge for the title, then they shit themselves & fall to pieces.

It's the same pretty much every season.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Herb wrote:

what Did Hart do wrong? Or are you just casting your net again Herb?

DeMichelis was beyond shite yesterday, he gave the ball away countless times and when he wasn't even under pressure. Truly shocking and not like him, he has been consistently good of late.

eggsackly why i felt MDM should have been paired with Mangala yesterday.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:33 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I think an often overlooked part of the problem is pellers attacking approach.

How many times have top teams defenders been accuse of being shit on here in the last 10 years? Barca, madrid, the scum all had their defenders labeled shit while their teams were at their best. When teams bomb loads of players forwards and dominate posession they are prone to getting caught on the counter or 1v1/2v2 etc in transition and that's when reckless challenges occur. That and like keepers if they have fuck all to do for half a game it's easy to switch off.

It's a lot more noticeable when we do fuck all up the other end, which sadly has been a lot more often this season than last.

Very true, but that manifsets itself as goals like that herbert scored for Stoke & Lukaku getting 1v1s in our box though.

The goals Arsenal scored weren't down to our attacking approach, they were just purely down to shit defending. We actually coped with most of the situations when we were legitimately caught out.

Also while I fully agree that the attacking style puts extra pressure on the defenders, I tend to think that the teams you mention have actually genuinely had a lot of shit defenders (not all, but a lot) and their attacking flair has masked it. In the rags case, their reputation intimidating teams into missing easy chances, pretty much every game (happening every week now even when they have 10 in their own half). It will be interesting to see how this new, bright, confident Arsenal plays vs the rags. If they don't miss a load of open nets then roll over & die, it will be a first.

They won their cup final this year.

Indeed. Hence why they bottle it when they play there. You are agreeing with me.

Arsenal are the biggest bottlers of all. If things remain as they are, there will come a day when Arsenal resign themselves to finishing behind City, & they will start to roll over for us like they do for the rags. At the moment, they produce their best game almost every time they play us, then they think they will challenge for the title, then they shit themselves & fall to pieces.

It's the same pretty much every season.

Mcfc and straight forward, never gonna happen, we need a Kippax for days like yesterday.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby ManciniLegend » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Vincent Kompany is one of the best players in the world.

Joe Hart is not a duffer. Only someone with no knowledge of the game would say such a thing.

Truth is, this is the best squad we have ever had with very few, if any, weak links. No matter how good a side, you will not win em all. No need to lash out when things don't go our way. It just makes us look like spoiled RAGS
ManciniLegend
Carlo Nash's Debut

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:20 pm

He's our captain, he's one of the best defenders out there and I don't think I would swap him for anyone.

However! I no longer think he should be rushed back into starting lineup for big games like yesterday or last year at Liverpool
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:He's our captain, he's one of the best defenders out there and I don't think I would swap him for anyone.

However! I no longer think he should be rushed back into starting lineup for big games like yesterday or last year at Liverpool

That's all I'm saying also. Had we started Mangler AND Jovetic I wonder if our shape might have been a bit more of what arsenal couldn't handle in the box? Instead we made their job piss easy.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum