Which English Player would you sign?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Which English Player would you sign?

Postby dazby » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Stephen Ireland.

I know he's Irish. But he's club trained and a brilliant world class player.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:06 pm

dazby wrote:Stephen Ireland.

Another world beating post from the resident spas.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:16 pm

Sterling
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:24 pm

Lev Bronstein wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:Barkley and Nathaniel Clyne.

If tonight is a typical performance, not Barley

Cool, judge a player on 1 game - top analysis.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:26 pm

dazby wrote:Stephen Ireland.

Words fail me.

Ireland wouldn't be worth a spot in the EDS team and currently resides on Stokes bench. A 1 season wonder and a flake who disappears when the going gets tough, and/or a higher level of quality was required. Had his chance, fluffed it.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby zuricity » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:55 pm

I'd sign me. Wheel me on to take corners from left or right. Light years ahead of those tossers that can't get beyond the first defender. I'll show Merlin what a left foot is for....

I might fail on the 'Age' thingy though.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Slim » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:02 am

zuricity wrote:I'd sign me. Wheel me on to take corners from left or right. Light years ahead of those tossers that can't get beyond the first defender. I'll show Merlin what a left foot is for....

Don't you also fail on the "english" thing?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue Oli » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:38 am

I don't think there is an English player out there that i see giving us any advantage over those we have coming through the academy system, for sterling see barker, for Barkley we arguably have a number of in house options. This is the most difficult stage of our development as a club - a transition from a team bought to a team developed. Any purchases now have to be truly world class and the only ones that are (and young enough to be part of our next generation team) are from abroad - Pogba being a good example.

The quality we are now seeing in the EDS and under 18s outstrips the quality and potential in the market in my opinion so the question is only when do we start blooding these kids in the first team.

Barker, Ambrose, Evens, and many more could be our answer to this challenge within the next 24 months - I don't think they are that far away. Barker would be in any of our peers first teams already bar chelsea I think but we are protecting him correctly I think. This year is the first year we are 'marketing his potential' vis the web site and cityTV - this tells me the trust the club have in his potential.

Summary - I wouldn't buy an English player as we have better prospects in house or on loan currently than is available on the over inflated market,

Good times ahead I think - fully expect to see home grown (mix of foreigners of english though) players in our first team alongside the likes of kun and silva within the next two seasons.

And I can't bloody well wait for a Mancunian in our starting line line again.

Oli
Blue Oli
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby Slim » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:00 am

Blue Oli wrote:I don't think there is an English player out there that i see giving us any advantage over those we have coming through the academy system, for sterling see barker, for Barkley we arguably have a number of in house options. This is the most difficult stage of our development as a club - a transition from a team bought to a team developed. Any purchases now have to be truly world class and the only ones that are (and young enough to be part of our next generation team) are from abroad - Pogba being a good example.

The quality we are now seeing in the EDS and under 18s outstrips the quality and potential in the market in my opinion so the question is only when do we start blooding these kids in the first team.

Barker, Ambrose, Evens, and many more could be our answer to this challenge within the next 24 months - I don't think they are that far away. Barker would be in any of our peers first teams already bar chelsea I think but we are protecting him correctly I think. This year is the first year we are 'marketing his potential' vis the web site and cityTV - this tells me the trust the club have in his potential.

Summary - I wouldn't buy an English player as we have better prospects in house or on loan currently than is available on the over inflated market,

Good times ahead I think - fully expect to see home grown (mix of foreigners of english though) players in our first team alongside the likes of kun and silva within the next two seasons.

And I can't bloody well wait for a Mancunian in our starting line line again.

Oli

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Baines.

There are three right there.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby s1ty m » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:08 am

Ward-Prowse, Harrison Reed and Leighton Baines. Nothing else appeals. Barkley looks good but he is inconsistent.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Blue Oli » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:47 am

Oli[/quote]

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Baines.

There are three right there.[/quote]

Opinions only I know - but I don't see anything in oxlade-chamberlain or sterling that we don't have in the EDS - granted more first team experience but not a step up in my opinion. Sterling in particular I think is over hyped - good player yes but would be a gamble still that we could currently take with one of our own kids who could add the same dimensions to our squad. Baines is bloody good I agree but I don't think he is a player we would want for more than the next couple of seasons due to age - fair call though as its a problem area for us and there is no other Englishman (also young enough) as a long term option.
Blue Oli
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:54 am

Jay R from Southampton, bad injury but A TALENT.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Slim » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:14 am

Blue Oli wrote:Opinions only I know - but I don't see anything in oxlade-chamberlain or sterling that we don't have in the EDS - granted more first team experience but not a step up in my opinion. Sterling in particular I think is over hyped - good player yes but would be a gamble still that we could currently take with one of our own kids who could add the same dimensions to our squad. Baines is bloody good I agree but I don't think he is a player we would want for more than the next couple of seasons due to age - fair call though as its a problem area for us and there is no other Englishman (also young enough) as a long term option.

What they have that the EDS doesn't:

What Baines has, well he is a top quality defender that delivers consistent freekicks and CORNERS.
I REPEAT...CORNERS,
I RE-FUCKING-PEAT...CORNERS.
Two years? FUCKING TAKE IT.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:14 am

Hazy2 wrote:Jay R from Southampton, bad injury but A TALENT.

If we sign him, we might as well shut down the academy.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:46 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Totally agree, he was very average at burnley and when Southampton took a punt on him, he was OK, but has not played in a year. I saw nothing special, just like Lallana was nothing special, they just gelled as a team at that time.

Also he is feckin 25 FFS and been injured for a year, no thank you! he would probably cost a fortune too.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:02 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Totally agree, he was very average at burnley and when Southampton took a punt on him, he was OK, but has not played in a year. I saw nothing special, just like Lallana was nothing special, they just gelled as a team at that time.

Also he is feckin 25 FFS and been injured for a year, no thank you! he would probably cost a fortune too.

Southampton have done a miraculous job finding players & also signing players, but nobody from Southampton that has been linked with us, is good enough for City apart from Bale imo. Not Walcott, Oxface, Shaw, none of them.

As squad players to fill holes yes. But regular starters; no chance, any of them.

We should not be signing anymore squad players, ever, unless we find a hole we really can't fill from inside the club.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:06 am

Southampton have the run of a large catchment area and no other teams around them.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:08 am

Slim wrote:
Blue Oli wrote:Opinions only I know - but I don't see anything in oxlade-chamberlain or sterling that we don't have in the EDS - granted more first team experience but not a step up in my opinion. Sterling in particular I think is over hyped - good player yes but would be a gamble still that we could currently take with one of our own kids who could add the same dimensions to our squad. Baines is bloody good I agree but I don't think he is a player we would want for more than the next couple of seasons due to age - fair call though as its a problem area for us and there is no other Englishman (also young enough) as a long term option.

What Baines has, well he is a top quality defender that delivers consistent freekicks and CORNERS.
I REPEAT...CORNERS,

he's past it
was useless in the world cup and isn't having a great season for everton
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby zuricity » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:26 am

Slim wrote:
zuricity wrote:I'd sign me. Wheel me on to take corners from left or right. Light years ahead of those tossers that can't get beyond the first defender. I'll show Merlin what a left foot is for....

Don't you also fail on the "english" thing?

Well Hulme is still a part of Manchester, the last time I was at the ground. Who knows ? the Scots almost got Independence. "Freedom for Knott Mill !" I say...
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:27 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Slim wrote:

I REPEAT...CORNERS,

he's past it
was useless in the world cup and isn't having a great season for everton

We were actually one of the best, possibly the best in the country at them last year after being shite previously. So we don't actually need Baines to do it; we just need to sort out whatever else is the difference. Perhaps it's a combination of Negredo, Lescott etc leaving the club & Dzeko being injured, reducing the number of potential targets/blockers/decoys or we are aiming for the wrong player(s) & fucking it up ?

But it's true; we were one of, possibly THE best.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum