Which English Player would you sign?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Which English Player would you sign?

Postby zuricity » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:29 am

Slim wrote:
Blue Oli wrote:Opinions only I know - but I don't see anything in oxlade-chamberlain or sterling that we don't have in the EDS - granted more first team experience but not a step up in my opinion. Sterling in particular I think is over hyped - good player yes but would be a gamble still that we could currently take with one of our own kids who could add the same dimensions to our squad. Baines is bloody good I agree but I don't think he is a player we would want for more than the next couple of seasons due to age - fair call though as its a problem area for us and there is no other Englishman (also young enough) as a long term option.

What they have that the EDS doesn't:

What Baines has, well he is a top quality defender that delivers consistent freekicks and CORNERS.
I REPEAT...CORNERS,
I RE-FUCKING-PEAT...CORNERS.
Two years? FUCKING TAKE IT.

I do corners Slim .
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby blues2win » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:36 am

Still worryingly linked with Rodriguez who's out injured of course. Can't understand it unless both Jovetic and Dzeko are off in the Summer. We will continue to buy the odd top quality talent from overseas eg Reus and if we're very lucky Pogba. I wouldn't buy any english players when we can promote our own from the EDS. If at least a couple of our youngsters aren't promoted to the first team squad next season I'll be very disappointed.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:40 am

zuricity wrote:
Slim wrote:
zuricity wrote:I'd sign me. Wheel me on to take corners from left or right. Light years ahead of those tossers that can't get beyond the first defender. I'll show Merlin what a left foot is for....

I might fail on the 'Age' thingy though.

Don't you also fail on the "english" thing?

Well Hulme is still a part of Manchester, the last time I was at the ground. Who knows ? the Scots almost got Independence. "Freedom for Knott Mill !" I say...

Forgive him zuricity, he is a born and bred Bramhall snob!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Slim » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:44 am

Wonderwall wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Slim wrote:
zuricity wrote:I'd sign me. Wheel me on to take corners from left or right. Light years ahead of those tossers that can't get beyond the first defender. I'll show Merlin what a left foot is for....

I might fail on the 'Age' thingy though.

Don't you also fail on the "english" thing?

Well Hulme is still a part of Manchester, the last time I was at the ground. Who knows ? the Scots almost got Independence. "Freedom for Knott Mill !" I say...

Forgive him zuricity, he is a born and bred Bramhall snob!

So not proper English then is what you're saying?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue Oli » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:58 am

Corners ? I have a vague memory of them getting into the box from for us from a couple of seasons ago - can you expand on this as it could be a potentially brilliant new tactic we havnt used for a number of years
Blue Oli
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby dazby » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:22 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
dazby wrote:Stephen Ireland.

I know he's Irish. But he's club trained and a brilliant world class player.

Another world beating post from the resident spas.

Wow. I give you prime material and you shoot yourself in the foot - again.

Wanted. Someone to argue with. Must be able to spell.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Danny Ings. Out of contract in summer. Can finish!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:34 am

He's a little shit with an injury record but he's improved a lot over the last 12 months and has great vision and technical ability. Jack Wilshere.

I also like Clyne, Sterling, Chamberlain, Berahino and Barkley, but the latter needs to learn to use the ball better.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:47 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:He's a little shit with an injury record but he's improved a lot over the last 12 months and has great vision and technical ability. Jack Wilshere.

I also like Clyne, Sterling, Chamberlain, Berahino and Barkley, but the latter needs to learn to use the ball better.

If we sign Wilshire, one of us will have to go. I can't be in the same ground as him for 20 odd games per season. I actually think that one of of the main reasons Arsenal beat City, is because he wasn't playing.

Those players are all fair enough shouts, but imo only Sterling & Clyne would have a decent chance of starting in a strong City 11.

Even the absolute best English players are squad players at City's level. We have our own kids for that job.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:32 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:He's a little shit with an injury record but he's improved a lot over the last 12 months and has great vision and technical ability. Jack Wilshere.

If we sign Wilshire, one of us will have to go. I can't be in the same ground as him for 20 odd games per season. I actually think that one of of the main reasons Arsenal beat City, is because he wasn't playing.

Those players are all fair enough shouts, but imo only Sterling & Clyne would have a decent chance of starting in a strong City 11.

Even the absolute best English players are squad players at City's level. We have our own kids for that job.

Agreed , how anyone can want that little chicken breasted cunt playing, Ill never know!!!
Apart from the above , the cunt is made of paper mache...falls over and breaks everything.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:18 pm

As the prices tend to be silly, no one. But if the price is right, Barkley. Or Sterling.

But one British player I would love to sign is the monkey boy. Imo he would be just what we need.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Two's Kompany » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Must say I like the look of Will Hughes at Derby!
Other player would be Clyne. Top notch right back and would be an upgrade on Sagna.
Two's Kompany
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Anyone in a City shirt!

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:51 pm

I'd certainly take Walcott over Navas.
He's actually improved a lot and looks like a real footballer rather than just a speed merchant who runs into blind alleys.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:55 pm

Walcott wouldn't play in place of Navas though, he'd be competing with the strikers & Silva, Nasri etc. He doesn't do the kind of job Navas does for City & he's always injured.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:18 pm

It's a shame he got that injury as he was looking in great form last season and would have also been a decent bet for England in the World Cup. I do think though that he is finally realising his potential, his end product is getting increasingly better too. Would have him at City definitely.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:19 pm

None, in answer to the question. Spend big money on a top notch player(s) from wherever and promote from the Academy to fill a quota. If we don't we will then buy second best which helps no one.

Also none of the above mentioned players would excite in the way an academy lad would. When Barker breaks through there will be a massive buzz across the whole of the Etihad, first team and EDS teams alike
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:21 pm

nottsblue wrote:None, in answer to the question. Spend big money on a top notch player(s) from wherever and promote from the Academy to fill a quota. If we don't we will then buy second best which helps no one.

Also none of the above mentioned players would excite in the way an academy lad would. When Barker breaks through there will be a massive buzz across the whole of the Etihad, first team and EDS teams alike

Totally agree.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Two's Kompany wrote:Must say I like the look of Will Hughes at Derby!

Dont like Hughes after he came out and slagged us off in the press a while back, he said he would want to play for us as well, so thats that settled then.

and I am not albinoist
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Sparklehorse » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:51 pm

nottsblue wrote:None, in answer to the question. Spend big money on a top notch player(s) from wherever and promote from the Academy to fill a quota. If we don't we will then buy second best which helps no one.

hear hear

I am a little disillusioned that we're spending upwards of £30m on players.......why can' t we be like Swansea and pick these players up for £10m and turn them into £30m players ourselves instead of waiting for someone else to do it and then us flashing the cash (even with the knowledge that the price goes up when we show an interest)
The price tag on Bony's shoulders is a worry for me, I am an admirer, don't get me wrong....I live in Swansea and have seen him play often but the pressure on him will be immense, and the media will be sharpening their pencils if he's either on the bench or playing and not scoring.

MP has paid the price for not playing at least two academy players in both the domestic cups, bad Karma with the supposed "holistic approach".

Give the youngsters a chance for goodness sake !!!!!
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby Lamps » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:17 pm

I have been most impressed with Harry Kane at Tottenham. I was at both Tottenham between Chelsea and Tottenham and he impressed both times.

In the opening twenty minutes Terry nor Cahill could cope with his direct and powerful running. He hit the post and had another effort just go wide. It was only when Chelsea hit them on the break twice after twenty odd minutes that Tottenham faded but even then he was their threat. I must admit I put him out of my mind when Chelsea went to their place. I was confident of getting a result there but everyone saw what Kane did to Terry,Cahill and Matic. We just could not handle him and I have not seen a 21 year old British striker do that to us for years.
Lamps
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: Chelsea
My favourite player is: Frank Lampard

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum