EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby nottsblue » Sat May 02, 2015 4:09 pm

Far far too early. But Twosips gets my vote for legend status this year
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:32 pm

twosips wrote:Dunno about that, but ta! I dropped out of my journalism degree course nearly 10 years ago... think that ship has sailed far, far away! I'll concentrate on the music side of things for now. Ha.

Just gutted that a few more of yourselves can't get along often. Reckon you'd all enjoy it.

Might keep notes though as you said. Who knows? Someone needs to document it all one day :)

Man City 2020....the musical, perhaps.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby mr_nool » Sat May 02, 2015 4:41 pm

nottsblue wrote:Far far too early. But Twosips gets my vote for legend status this year

Nah, he's not part of the "clique".
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby twosips » Sat May 02, 2015 4:43 pm

mr_nool wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Far far too early. But Twosips gets my vote for legend status this year

Panicking that I may stumble across the entrance to that club to be honest....
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby mr_nool » Sat May 02, 2015 4:55 pm

twosips wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Panicking that I may stumble across the entrance to that club to be honest....

I think you already did a long time ago, mate
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Sat May 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Just do what I did and squat.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Dameerto wrote:Just do what I did and squat.

Or start your own clique.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby twosips » Sun May 03, 2015 8:11 am

http://www.torneodelfuturo.com/

At 10am our incredibly talented u16s lads are playing Alkmaar and its being streamed live on there.

Colin Rosler is in the squad. ha...that young Jadon Sancho we signed for megabucks from Watford too, as is the little 'Messi' we signed last year. Brahim Diaz.

Looking forward to it.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Bluedj » Sun May 03, 2015 9:46 am

Cracking first half, very entertaining
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun May 03, 2015 11:38 am

Just thought I'd throw this one in this thread; there have been various comments on tinternet & in pubs etc from people who take a look at the kids' teams, say how we can't play the style we do, playing it out from the back, because we give away too many goals with mistakes.

This U16s team just played 4 games without conceding a goal. Not bad for an attacking team eh ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blues2win » Sun May 03, 2015 11:51 am

It's all a question of balance. You do want defenders who can bring the ball out but you don't want them taking silly risks. Sometimes you need to know when to boot the ball out.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun May 03, 2015 11:57 am

blues2win wrote:It's all a question of balance. You do want defenders who can bring the ball out but you don't want them taking silly risks. Sometimes you need to know when to boot the ball out.

It's impossible to do it without getting it wrong loads of times. And one bloke's 'silly risk'.is another bloke's Barcelona. It only becomes a silly risk for Barca, if they lose the ball.

The only way to learn to do it, is to do it. If the first team is doing it and losing games because of it on a regular basis THEN you have a problem. If the reserves occasionally lose games because of it but otherwise are doing perfectly ok, then there is absolutely no problem whatsoever. It doesn't matter. At all.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun May 03, 2015 11:59 am

Two goals for Hiwula at Bristol.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon May 04, 2015 9:04 pm

City 3. Spurs 3 and a strange game it was too.
Spurs were much the better side in the first half although we did create 3 good chances and I reckon that's all they had as well but 2 of theirs were gift wrapped tap ins.

Everybody knows how we MUST play the ball out from the back so they press high and although we don't make that many mistakes there is always the feeling that one will happen soon. The other problem with that approach is it can be slow if the pressing is good and we do a lot of side to side and backwards passing trying to find a way into midfield.

When we did get through the 2 main chances we created were excellent.Garcia for Iheanacho and then the other way around both were one on one's with their keeper which he did well to save.Our other chance was a cross from Nemane I think and Iheanacho knocked it wide at the near post. Good to see him making that run though.

Spurs were pressing very well and their goals came from it. A misplaced ball allowed the winger to be set free and although Angelino is supposed to be fast he never got close.The other was a cock up by Tosin.I think he felt he was dealing comfortably with their striker on the left touchline right in front of the crowd. But he hadn't allowed for another Spurs player to nick the ball off him and repeat the first goal.

Our other problem was the 2 sitting/ playmaking midfield players we had were just not doing the business. Glendon I know can find a pass but Horsfield is just not suited to that role.He always tends to look backwards for a pass as I don't think he has the awareness or touch to play in midfield.

It all changed immediately in the 2nd half when Byrne came on with Horsfield moving to full back. Byrne was excellent. He has a decent touch but spreads the ball wide well and he is a real goal threat partly with his shooting from distance but also the basic fact that he gets in there when balls are crossed.

He scored one piling in for a cross , his shooting got another as Maffeo scored from a rebound but he got close to a couple more with excellent shots.

Maffeo again quality, Angelino got better but I do think he was found out a couple of times in the first half with his defensive positioning. Garcia good but not brilliant but taking account of his age he is looking good. Decent threat down both wings with Nemane and Intima.

Iheanacho wasn't that influential but still showed excellent glimpses and I thought was starting to link up well with Pozo when he came on late..Good to see Pozo playing in the role he suits best just behind the front man and starting to look a player again.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 am

Just ordered my tickets for the Final versus Porto this Friday, also got them for the game versus the Rags next tuesday
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby twosips » Tue May 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:City 3. Spurs 3 and a strange game it was too.
Spurs were much the better side in the first half although we did create 3 good chances and I reckon that's all they had as well but 2 of theirs were gift wrapped tap ins.

Everybody knows how we MUST play the ball out from the back so they press high and although we don't make that many mistakes there is always the feeling that one will happen soon. The other problem with that approach is it can be slow if the pressing is good and we do a lot of side to side and backwards passing trying to find a way into midfield.

Yeah - I thought that too. People definitely notice how we play and you can tell they set out to counter that. I guess its always going to be that there will be hiccups while the player are young and are learning the 'philosophy' still, and most of the goals the u18s and the EDS concede do tend to come from mistakes of this nature. Gotta admire the persistence though either way as their heads never drop. It's a proud group of players we have and they never give up. Admirable qualities to have.

Quite enjoyed the game. Naff first half as you said, though we did have just as many clear cut chances as them. Didn't quite happen for Kelechi during this game but he clearly has quality. One moment in particular stood out for me. It was pure Ronaldinho - from a dead stand point at the edge of the area he fired a curling first time shot towards the far corner that the keeper just managed to get to. He's got magic in his boots, its pretty obvious even on his quiet days. His arrival has, weirdly, helped Pozo's game. Pozo's actualy had less minutes as a result but he's been playing in his right position and he looks a thousand times better for it. Came on with half an hour left and I thought he looked bright and confident. Good to see.

Was dead critical of Jack Byrne last week, as I thought he was sloppy, petulant and well below his standards. Changed the game at half-time as Doug said. Fuck me he has a shot and a half on him. Rasped it in about three times from about 25 yards and two worked the keeper and the other hit the post. He dictated the play excellently too, spreading it about with nonchalant ease. Hate to say this, but it was basically like watching a little Irish Paul Scholes. If he can do that every week he'll have a chance...perhaps a loan to Celtic next season?

Angelino I thought sadly showed his defensive naivety. Gotta agree there. Got caught in behind him a couple of times, one resulting in a goal. Having said that, thats happened to our fullbacks so many times this season that the standard he's being compared to defensively from the first team is pretty low! He attacked with bravado and energy as per usual. Maffeo was just class as ever wasn't he Doug? He really is fantastic. He got out-muscled once I think, but that's gonna happen. Its a miracle that hes even as good as he at CB given his size and age. Speaks volumes for his character... I've come round to the opinion that he's the most likely out of any of our kids to make it, Kelechi not included. I'm not sure theres anyone in the whole City set up that reads a tackle as well as he does. He was in the right place to get himself a tap in too after a bit of a scramble.

Horsfield is gash. Well and truly. He might make a decent lower league player somewhere as he works hard but his lack of nous really shows up when surrounded by the much more talented players. Intima tries, and he got a good goal, but i'm not convinced he has that required *something* to make it here. I'd guess he'd end up playing professional at a mid to lower level team in Portugal one day back at home.. Drury too i think has missed the City boat, its left him well and truly behind I think. Nice, honest little player but just not the required standard. Likewise, O'Brien is no Gunn based on what i've seen.

I thought Glendon was better than he was on Thursday. Not great, but decent and a lot more involved with some nice passes. His quick one-two short corner routine for our third was great. Really nicely worked and the kind of thing you can only do if you have a decent level of ability, which they both obviously do. Garcia, as Doug said, was decent. I don't think he's found a way to consistently leave an impression on a game at this level yet, drifting in and out of play at times, though he is so so young and even then he was still involved in just about anything and everything we did that was good. Speaks volumes for his ability really. Nemane i thought struggled a bit being positioned on the left though he always tried hard to work his fullback. He actually scored a fucking belter - bicycle kick from inside the area but the linesmen ruled that ball had just crossed out of play before the cross was made. Well unlucky.

Overall a decent game. I have noticed a bit of a pattern though. You can't help but get a sense of deja vu when watching the EDS. The team starts poorly, goes in behind at half-time and then one or two changes are made and there's an immediate and concerted fightback that usually turns the game around in City's favour. Can't question the teams spirit, as they fight back well but we always seem to get the starting line up wrong and we always start badly. It doesn't show up too well on Vieira that on face value, but I dont think its as simple as that as I do believe he's told to give players like Drury and Horsfield games as they need to find clubs too. They're useless sat in the stands...it surely has to be that cos they're not in the team on merit as there are many better than them. Who knows?

Dead excited for the PLIC final against Porto on Friday.

Oh and as ever, great to bump into you again Doug and it was really nice to meet you, John68!
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks for the reports chaps, great stuff.

Just to menton though; Spurs tend to press everybody like that from what I've seen. It's not a tactic especially for us, they are just a tactical team who play that way. The youth team did it v Chelsea with similar results; caught them out initially then Chelsea got the hang of it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Tue May 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Ah okay. Noticed it a few times though. Teams do seem wise to it these days...

Highlights from last week's Leicester EDS game here btw. Lovely link up between Kelechi and Pozo for the goals.

Watch on youtube.com

Edit - Garcia's english is great. Fair play to the lad. Picked that up quickly!
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby twosips » Tue May 05, 2015 11:48 pm

I hope we've got the first pick of the Right to Dream academy lads from Africa.

https://twitter.com/right2dream

Just scroll down their twitter. Run of results is incredible. They've beaten everyone they've played in Europe.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby freshie » Wed May 06, 2015 12:23 am

Superb finish by Kelechi. He is going to be a star - I would have him in the first team squad next season
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum