EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby twosips » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:07 pm

I think Boadu is yet another ridiculously good talent. He's kinda just snuck in this season under the radar and got better with every week. Seriously think he could do a Barkley.

It really frustrates me that none of them have been tried yet as we can't possibly try all of them next year, and i've got a horrible feeling we could fuck up the chance of developing some genuinely top class stars as a result.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:13 pm

Dont forget Fofana, he seems a forgotten man this year. he is playing regularly for fulham so you cant knock the level he is playing at.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Just throwing this out there but the likes of Busquets and Pedro didn't make their senior debuts for Barca until they were 21.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby twosips » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:19 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Dont forget Fofana, he seems a forgotten man this year. he is playing regularly for fulham so you cant knock the level he is playing at.

I'm kinda of the opinion that i don't think he has the same technical ability as Boadu. He mis-controls the ball a lot, whereas Boadu simply doesn't. I've watched about 5/6 full games for Fulham this season (they put them online a few days after) and he's got good heart, and covers ground well but in all of them he's looked lost for most of the game sadly. Sloppy in possession and just a little over-eager. His physical advantage that he had at youth level is nullified quite a lot so he's nowhere near as impressive. There is good moments still, but he's been bang average really.

I've not ruled him out obviously, as it could still happen as there is plenty of time still, but I just think Boadu is potentially much more intelligent and better technically. I'm not convinced Fofana will make it with us sadly.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby twosips » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Just throwing this out there but the likes of Busquets and Pedro didn't make their senior debuts for Barca until they were 21.

A fair point. They had b-league football though to live with though. Xavi took years too to become the player he is. I see a little of Xavi in Garcia, actually.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

twosips wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Dont forget Fofana, he seems a forgotten man this year. he is playing regularly for fulham so you cant knock the level he is playing at.

I'm kinda of the opinion that i don't think he has the same technical ability as Boadu. He mis-controls the ball a lot, whereas Boadu simply doesn't. I've watched about 5/6 full games for Fulham this season (they put them online a few days after) and he's got good heart, and covers ground well but in all of them he's looked lost for most of the game sadly. Sloppy in possession and just a little over-eager. His physical advantage that he had at youth level is nullified quite a lot so he's nowhere near as impressive. There is good moments still, but he's been bang average really.

I've not ruled him out obviously, as it could still happen as there is plenty of time still, but I just think Boadu is potentially much more intelligent and better technically. I'm not convinced Fofana will make it with us sadly.

That would be my summary of Fofana. Not rubbish by any means but just not technically up there.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:28 pm

twosips wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Just throwing this out there but the likes of Busquets and Pedro didn't make their senior debuts for Barca until they were 21.

A fair point. They had b-league football though to live with though. Xavi took years too to become the player he is. I see a little of Xavi in Garcia, actually.

Yep, the b-league definitely stands to them in terms of adapting to the physicality of senior football. I guess we're substituting the lack of a b-league with loans. With that in mind I'd say it's a lot more likely that Lopes or Denayer are in the frame for a place in the squad next season rather than the likes of Angelino and Barker.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Excellent report but still gutted I couldn't be there. I was interested in this game as I also thought we might find it hard against Leicester so it's really pleasing to hear how we played as well as the result obviously.

The Barker /Angelino partnership is really good to watch.They are both quality individual players but it has seemed clear to me that they each benefit from having the other one around.Pellegrini says that there are no academy kids ready yet ( he did say that didn't he or is that just the press) and he is probably just about right but I can't help but wonder how much worse they would be than the current players if they were thrown in now.

Take Angelino and compare him to Clichy or Kolarov. We have seen the 2 of them have good games and bad games.Can't say I can actually remember Kolarov have a good defensive game though as really all his good stuff is in the opponents half.If Angelino played and didn't have a good game would it be worse than Kolarov's poor games or Clichy's? I doubt it very much and on the up side Angelino would add a great deal of energy to that side and to the team. Not to mention to the fans.

If he were thrown in against Palace he would likely get skinned by Zaha or Bolassi but so would either of the experienced pair if left alone to face players like that.

I am definitely more and more coming round to getting some of our kids involved. I do agree that they ( I am looking at under 18's players) are not fully ready but they absolutely must be involved from next season. 100% in pre season and then in games mostly from the bench as the season progresses.If they prove themselves who knows.

For me the players in the frame are Angelino,Maffeo,Barker,Iheanacho,Gunn (at least in Wright's place)Denayer, Lopes with a few others close.

I'd add Ambrose & Boadu to that list.

Angelino imo, is a manager's dream, as he could play more than one position & will work his balls off doing it. Even if he passes like shit, he'll still close down better than most of the first team. Chances are, he'll pass better than most of them too & maybe get an assist. I wouldn't want to see him at fullback v a tricky winger, but what about wide in a five man midfield ? He could be a revelation.

I don't understand what it's all been about this season, but I hope we sort it next.

The strangest one for me, was the fact that we were willing to play Pozo with his back to goal vs two big bruisers, but we can't trust Brandon Barker to come off the bench with ten minutes left & have a run at a fullback. Even if Barker failed, it wouldn't be such a terrible thing. Wide players do that.

Anybody who watches the EDS would know after watching one game, which of those two experiments would be most likely to succeed. Pozo playing deeper next to Silva & Nasri ? Yeah, I can see that; I could see him doing well there (although he is not the player who most deserves the promotion). Pozo vs Jagielka, at cf, with his back to goal half the time. NO.

Tbf, Ambrose has grown stronger actually during this season, & it would almost certainly have been him who got the nod for that job if he had been then, what he is now, but still; it is easily possible, by sacrificing one subs' place, to invole some of these players, still, this season.

The sooner they get the first few games over with, the sooner they become fully viable as first team squad players.

Absolutely correct re Ambrose and Boadu.Can't believe I missed them out but I think I was probably being conservative in thinking how many might actually make it.We can't have that many can we?

Boadu has really impressed me this season.I could see he had real talent when I first saw him but wondered if he was just a flashy kind of player who doesn't deliver or fit into a team but he seems to have developed well. Great ball control, excellent dribbling ability, loves to drive forwards with the ball and can certainly see a pass. Add to that he scores goals and you have the making of a real player.

Ambrose is quality. Playing wide as he has a lot for Vieira to fit Pozo in but really a center forward. He poses a threat from wherever he plays and like Angelino is a 100% player all the time.Could definitely be used as a sub already .
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:46 pm

Just read that Boadu's injury was a broken foot. Quite relieved about that - at least its not muscular or something of that ilk. A broken foot is just bad luck I guess. Hopefully it shouldn't effect his burst of pace or anything like that as i think it'll be a big year for him next season.

Wonder which players will go out on loan? Couple definitely will. Ntcham? Byrne? Perhaps even Gunn could do what Hart did and go on loan and come on leaps and bounds.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:52 pm

twosips wrote:Just read that Boadu's injury was a broken foot. Quite relieved about that - at least its not muscular or something of that ilk. A broken foot is just bad luck I guess. Hopefully it shouldn't effect his burst of pace or anything like that as i think it'll be a big year for him next season.

Wonder which players will go out on loan? Couple definitely will. Ntcham? Byrne? Perhaps even Gunn could do what Hart did and go on loan and come on leaps and bounds.

I do think Gunn needs something positive from City. I suppose making him the official 3rd choice is ok but doesn't get him serious game time which a loan move would do so yes a loan sounds better and I think he is ready.

Ntcham could do the same as Fofana I am sure so needs a good selection of club if he goes.Byrne even more so.He is such a different player to Fofana and Ntcham and a club that plays the ball on the ground would be essential for his development.What about Glendon as one of the "older" lads and maybe even Bryan?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:07 pm

Under 15s just beat Barca under 15s to win ME Cup. Not sure what that is but well done anyway lads!
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby PrezIke » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Pellegrini says that there are no academy kids ready yet ( he did say that didn't he or is that just the press)

He said we might not have anyone good in the near future. Here's what he said:

"This club has put a lot of money into the academy because young players are important but if we are talking about the academy we must be patient. It is not always easy for young players to come through in big teams. I am sure in the future we will have important players who have come through the academy but it might take years of working in the same way. Although with footballers you never know. Maybe some talented players can come through more quickly.”
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:34 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Pellegrini says that there are no academy kids ready yet ( he did say that didn't he or is that just the press)

"This club has put a lot of money into the academy because young players are important but if we are talking about the academy we must be patient. It is not always easy for young players to come through in big teams. I am sure in the future we will have important players who have come through the academy but it might take years of working in the same way. Although with footballers you never know. Maybe some talented players can come through more quickly.”

Classic Pellegrini, cautious but really says nothing at all.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

But what he's said is also true.

He just states the simple facts dispassionately.

Part of the criticism is that we're playing in line with his demeanor which is lacking fire.

I'm torn about that perspective but I've heard it from 3 folks in the last week who don't have an axe to grind against City.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:08 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

Part of the criticism is that we're playing in line with his demeanor which is lacking fire.

I'm torn about that perspective but I've heard it from 3 folks in the last week who don't have an axe to grind against City.

Cheers

I think he has been very conveniently misquoted to suit various agendas, & we are also challenging Chelsea, arse & rags, & have a derby coming.

But he did talk about players coming through as if it might possibly happen whilst he is stil here. It's strange that the same people who are saying Pellegrini won't be here next season, or definitely not the season after, are then making a big thing about players not coming through, during his tenure.

How many would we expect to become full on first team players next season ? I would say, very few. Denayer perhaps, maybe Lopes.

Almost feels like an agenda.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:30 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

Cheers

I think he has been very conveniently misquoted to suit various agendas, & we are also challenging Chelsea, arse & rags, & have a derby coming.

But he did talk about players coming through as if it might possibly happen whilst he is stil here. It's strange that the same people who are saying Pellegrini won't be here next season, or definitely not the season after, are then making a big thing about players not coming through, during his tenure.

How many would we expect to become full on first team players next season ? I would say, very few. Denayer perhaps, maybe Lopes.

Almost feels like an agenda.

He gives them nothing so they have to resort to invention.

I prefer him a million times over to Jose or Van Cunt.

Or Wenger.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby twosips » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:59 pm

The future is blue

http://manc.it/1yOKNRA

Looking forward to perhaps seeing one or two of these U15 lads make the odd u18 appearance in the next year or two. That Jadon Sancho fella we signed from Watford for big bucks a couple of months back won player of the tournament. Guess he's something special!

On a slight aside - wonder if that Brahim kid will be playing for the u18s next season. Exciting times either way.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Bytyqi is another one who slipped under the radar recently. Too bad about the cruciate ligaments injury, he seemed to do alright in Eredivisie.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby twosips » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:35 pm

I Just Blue Myself wrote:Bytyqi is another one who slipped under the radar recently. Too bad about the cruciate ligaments injury, he seemed to do alright in Eredivisie.

I think we let him go on loan cos he'd already been surpassed by Celina who is s much brighter player despite being two years younger. I suspect Bytiqi will do quite well but never be close to our level. Like Rusnak really.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:37 pm

I must say I'm absolutely loving this thread and there is so much burgeoning potential for optimism about the future.

For my money, special mention and thanks must go out to both Mr H and Twosips for all their input, analysis and information (no disrespect intended to any others who have contributed).

Keep all these posts coming you guys; they're wonderful to read and digest.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum