EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:42 pm

twosips wrote:We've got a lot of talent. A shed load. Ridiculous amounts...

Any of them could make it but Angelino is arguably our most consistent. The only "flaw" in his game is that he's not tall. That's it. If he's not one of the best left backs in the world in a few years time something strange will have happened. I'd have him getting games next season definitely. He's played as a winger second half and he's basically been Navas if he was much more skilful and could finish like Aguero. I'm not kidding.

Missed it today, but I said recently on here, that I recon there's absolutely nothing Milner can do, as a wide player, right now, that Angelino couldn't, if given a bit of a chance. He's a miles better footballer & equally hard working.

If he turns out to be too small for a fullback, I think he'll still have a chance elsewhere, as he's just basically better at playing football than many of our first team are.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
twosips wrote:We've got a lot of talent. A shed load. Ridiculous amounts...

Any of them could make it but Angelino is arguably our most consistent. The only "flaw" in his game is that he's not tall. That's it. If he's not one of the best left backs in the world in a few years time something strange will have happened. I'd have him getting games next season definitely. He's played as a winger second half and he's basically been Navas if he was much more skilful and could finish like Aguero. I'm not kidding.

Missed it today, but I said recently on here, that I recon there's absolutely nothing Milner can do, as a wide player, right now, that Angelino couldn't, if given a bit of a chance. He's a miles better footballer & equally hard working.

If he turns out to be too small for a fullback, I think he'll still have a chance elsewhere, as he's just basically better at playing football than many of our first team are.

Ted, when you say "elsewhere", do you mean in a different position, or do you mean with another Club ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby twosips » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Position. He reminds me of Lahm. Technically brilliant so could play most positions.

Guardiola would have a field day with our youth team. Several of them have the ability and nous to play all over the pitch.

Edit - sorry, thought I'd answer that one for you ted.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:18 pm

twosips wrote:Position. He reminds me of Lahm. Technically brilliant so could play most positions.

Guardiola would have a field day with our youth team. Several of them have the ability and nous to play all over the pitch.

Thanks for the answer TS.

I appreciate your 'intervention', as it were.

I know we've got to be patient before, hopefully, we'll start seeing these youngsters given a chance, but the process of having to wait isn't the easiest thing to do when such good reports keep coming through.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:20 pm

twosips wrote:Position. He reminds me of Lahm. Technically brilliant so could play most positions.

Yeah ta.

If I had to predict how it will go, I would say we will end up playing a kind of English Barca style, with or without Pep, & some of these kids will be right in the thick of it, & possibly playing more than one position. Denayer is another one.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Thought i'd give a little match report of my own.

So yeah, we played Leicester in the u21 league. They'd already been a bit of a bogey team this season for us on a couple of occasions and they'd won their last four in a row in this competition so I was a little sceptical about how we'd fare today as it was a relatively patched together team. As an eleven playing together it was very inexperienced and Leicester were physically huge compared to us, plus they had Knockeart playing, a highly experienced first teamer and Jack Barmby who has had a fair bit of pro football too.

We started off pretty nervy really. The first twenty minutes were cagey as fuck and they could have scored. Glendon was in his first game back after a little injury lay off and he was sloppy, Ntcham was caught in possession a few times and Manu Garcia, making his first starting debut at this level as he's only just turned 17, was outmuscled. Plummer at centre back who's not played much this year looked a little at odds with our possession football and we had Intima on the right making only his second appearance all year - dunno where he'd been. Injured? Either way, it was a relatively new XI and the rustiness was to be expected really.

Knockaert looked a class above most for the first twenty minutes. He was sharper, more confident and combined with Barmby and their massive number ten really well. Then Barker woke up... after that we took control of the first half.

Barker and Angelino were, as ever, great down the left. Linking well, overlapping each other and basically being a fucking handful. Barker had already span and ran about 40 yards up the pitch twice, outmuscling their huge right back in the process, causing all manner of problems before he created the first goal laying the ball off to the overlapping Angelino before he walloped into the roof of the net over the keeper. Second goal was typically Barker. He got the ball just inside the edge of the area on the left hand side and i'm not kidding, I knew he'd score the second he got the ball. Quick step-over, knocked the ball to the left and drilled it across the keeper into the far corner. He scores SO many goals that way with his 'weaker' foot in that exact same amnner and its basically impossible to stop. Zaba wouldn't get near him 9/10. Not many would.

I'm not having the physique thing regarding Barker too by the way, there's no way he's too lightweight. I took this photo of the game today -

Barker's over on the left. Knockaert for Leicester is no 10 on the right. He's played two full seasons in the championship and is currently a premier league player - Barker is arguably bigger than him. Their RB, number 2, was fucking huge. Man mountain. Barker out-muscled him with his lower centre of gravity on repeated occasions. He's a strong lad, lightning quick and getting bigger too. He'll have no problems physically and I wouldn't be surprised if he developed a Bale-esque physique. He's set in a similar way.

Anyway...back to the game. We dominated the first half but I was a little surprised to see Barker go off at half-time. First game back after an injury so I guess it was precautionary. This meant a shuffling of the pack and James Horsfield came on at right-back, meaning Ash Smith-Brown was shunted over to left-back, where he was as steady and as competent as ever, with Angelino pushing up to take Barker's place. It basically then became the Angelino showHe was everywhere. He kept doing a Pedro at Barca, being on the shoulder of the last man and Pozo (who had a pretty decent game and looked much better when he was able to get the ball and turn and run at people instead of when he was asked to do the no. 9 stuff),Garcia and Ntcham growing into the game meant he kept getting behind the defence as they picked him out.

His second goal was marvellous. Seriously top class stuff. Pozo floated a chipped the ball over to him and from about 12/13 yards out to the left of the goal he ridiculously calmly volleyed it with the side of his foot an passed it into the far corner. Technically brilliant stuff, seriously - its something you'd expect Hazard to do. He also hit the post bursting forward and drilling it from the edge of the left hand corner of the area, and had another disallowed with a thunderous drive from the same place that was given offside. His third was a counter attack where he got the ball on the half way line, ran straight towards the goal and finished it like Aguero would in a one-on-one. Couldn't quite get over how good his finishing was - better than the vast amount of strikers i've ever seen and it was quite interesting to see Leicester's Lithuanian international striker, Stankevičius (cheers Wikipedia for the spelling...) absolutely bottle easier chances than the ones Angelino took with sheer composure.

We tired towards the end which was to be expected and they scored two on the break but we deserved the victory in the end as we could have had a few more and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was by no means perfect but it was a good game and a good performance.

Onto the individuals I was impressed, as ever, by Maffeo. He was playing CB and against some bloke about 5 inches taller yet never shirked a challenge and considering he's a RB, definitely, the maturity and leadership he shows is pretty astounding at times. Another that I think is destined for the first team as height aside he has no flaws. He's stronger defensively than Angelino and reads the game so well. Gunn made a fucking incredible save too at one point. One of the best i've seen in person. He's yet another great prospect. 6'5, a great natural shot-stopper and strong in the air and ten times better with the ball at his feet than Hart is. Intima was a little rusty but I liked his effort. He's quick and nimble and put in a really honest shift - first time id properly seen him really. Garcia really grew into the game and he's a lovely little player, I think he'd be happy with his first full debut at this level. Ntcham too played pretty well after a sloppy start. He's a strong lad and he drove forward really well at times.

Overall I really, really enjoyed it. Not perfect, no, but Leicester are good and this was a team full of players who hadn't played together and with some coming back from injury and they did really well.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby blues2win » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:35 pm

I wonder whether Angelino's future lies playing left midfield or even left of a front three. He certainly seems to have the skill and pace to play further forward and he's more than prepared to put in a shift off the ball. At any rate the two Spanish full backs are little gems and we must not lose them. Ditto Barker.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Great report cheers.

I figured we'd be in trouble when I saw the teamsheet on twatter. Hopefully Barker has been taken off due to the upcoming Youth Cup game on Wed & nothing more serious.

Amazing to think that was Garcia's debut at EDS level. Feels like he's been around for a while but he hasn't even started really! Silva MKII.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:39 pm

blues2win wrote:I wonder whether Angelino's future lies playing left midfield or even left of a front three. He certainly seems to have the skill and pace to play further forward and he's more than prepared to put in a shift off the ball. At any rate the two Spanish full backs are little gems and we must not lose them. Ditto Barker.

He was Navas today if he could get behind the defence and finish like Pedro does for Barca. Energy, crossing ability, pace, finishing, drive and skill. He looked totally at ease as a forward whereas if you put Kolarov as a left mid he looks lost cos technically he's nowhere near as composed on the ball. So yeah, he could do it definitely.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby blues2win » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks for the match report Two Sips.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:54 pm

twosips wrote:
blues2win wrote:I wonder whether Angelino's future lies playing left midfield or even left of a front three. He certainly seems to have the skill and pace to play further forward and he's more than prepared to put in a shift off the ball. At any rate the two Spanish full backs are little gems and we must not lose them. Ditto Barker.

He was Navas today if he could get behind the defence and finish like Pedro does for Barca. Energy, crossing ability, pace, finishing, drive and skill. He looked totally at ease as a forward whereas if you put Kolarov as a left mid he looks lost cos technically he's nowhere near as composed on the ball. So yeah, he could do it definitely.

Angelino must have something close to the best left foot at the club, is quick, can beat a man & runs his bollocks off That means he can play more than just fullback imo.

I wish we had a figure at the club who was really known for practicing stuff. Perhaps I'm being harsh but I get the impression most of our first team finish & go shopping. I wish we had someone who stayed behind & took free kicks etc, more than they do already. I'm sure these lads could pick up a lot from someone like that & would learn it all very quickly.

I recon Angelino could be lethal.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:02 pm

twosips wrote:

I'm more excited by the prospect of seeing the likes of these come through, having been trained our way, and having City in their blood, than buying in what are deemed to be the best youngsters from other prem teams.(Sterling, Barkley,Kane,Ings etc)
Really hope we see a few make it next season.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:09 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
twosips wrote:

I'm more excited by the prospect of seeing the likes of these come through, having been trained our way, and having City in their blood, than buying in what are deemed to be the best youngsters from other prem teams.(Sterling, Barkley,Kane,Ings etc)

I don't mind if we pick up maybe one Sterling or Barkley, but if this was City from the Bell, Lee Summerbee days, or the Tueart, Hartford, Watson era, & we had kids of a comparable standard for those days, we would see almost all of them appear in the first team at one time or another.

If we want to sign some 'big' players then great. But these lads should be the 'homegrown' ones, not a bunch of signings.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
twosips wrote:

I don't mind if we pick up maybe one Sterling or Barkley, but if this was City from the Bell, Lee Summerbee days, or the Tueart, Hartford, Watson era, & we had kids of a comparable standard for those days, we would see almost all of them appear in the first team at one time or another.

If we want to sign some 'big' players then great. But these lads should be the 'homegrown' ones, not a bunch of signings.

That's pretty much my feelings on the matter, as I've stated over several threads now. Really hope it starts next season. I wouldn't be upset not getting Sterling or Barkley though Ted, if it meant we saw these lads come through.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:25 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
twosips wrote:

That's pretty much my feelings on the matter, as I've stated over several threads now. Really hope it starts next season. I wouldn't be upset not getting Sterling or Barkley though Ted, if it meant we saw these lads come through.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:34 pm

I wouldn't be upset if we didn't sign any English players, but I can accept that maybe we need to bring in something 'homegrown' to fill up one squad place next season, especially if Milner goes, as these are a bit young to be relied upon straight away. But personally I'd be happy with Denayer, Lopes maybe Cole & these kids. Then replace a few of the 'old guard' with overseas signings plus Iheanacho.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby steelsnail » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:03 am

Nice report ,twosips. Cheers.
steelsnail
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: Zabs

Postby steelsnail » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:07 am

Nice report ,twosips. Cheers.
steelsnail
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: Zabs

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:07 am

Excellent report but still gutted I couldn't be there. I was interested in this game as I also thought we might find it hard against Leicester so it's really pleasing to hear how we played as well as the result obviously.

The Barker /Angelino partnership is really good to watch.They are both quality individual players but it has seemed clear to me that they each benefit from having the other one around.Pellegrini says that there are no academy kids ready yet ( he did say that didn't he or is that just the press) and he is probably just about right but I can't help but wonder how much worse they would be than the current players if they were thrown in now.

Take Angelino and compare him to Clichy or Kolarov. We have seen the 2 of them have good games and bad games.Can't say I can actually remember Kolarov have a good defensive game though as really all his good stuff is in the opponents half.If Angelino played and didn't have a good game would it be worse than Kolarov's poor games or Clichy's? I doubt it very much and on the up side Angelino would add a great deal of energy to that side and to the team. Not to mention to the fans.

If he were thrown in against Palace he would likely get skinned by Zaha or Bolassi but so would either of the experienced pair if left alone to face players like that.

I am definitely more and more coming round to getting some of our kids involved. I do agree that they ( I am looking at under 18's players) are not fully ready but they absolutely must be involved from next season. 100% in pre season and then in games mostly from the bench as the season progresses.If they prove themselves who knows.

For me the players in the frame are Angelino,Maffeo,Barker,Iheanacho,Gunn (at least in Wright's place)Denayer, Lopes with a few others close.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:48 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Excellent report but still gutted I couldn't be there. I was interested in this game as I also thought we might find it hard against Leicester so it's really pleasing to hear how we played as well as the result obviously.

The Barker /Angelino partnership is really good to watch.They are both quality individual players but it has seemed clear to me that they each benefit from having the other one around.Pellegrini says that there are no academy kids ready yet ( he did say that didn't he or is that just the press) and he is probably just about right but I can't help but wonder how much worse they would be than the current players if they were thrown in now.

Take Angelino and compare him to Clichy or Kolarov. We have seen the 2 of them have good games and bad games.Can't say I can actually remember Kolarov have a good defensive game though as really all his good stuff is in the opponents half.If Angelino played and didn't have a good game would it be worse than Kolarov's poor games or Clichy's? I doubt it very much and on the up side Angelino would add a great deal of energy to that side and to the team. Not to mention to the fans.

If he were thrown in against Palace he would likely get skinned by Zaha or Bolassi but so would either of the experienced pair if left alone to face players like that.

I am definitely more and more coming round to getting some of our kids involved. I do agree that they ( I am looking at under 18's players) are not fully ready but they absolutely must be involved from next season. 100% in pre season and then in games mostly from the bench as the season progresses.If they prove themselves who knows.

For me the players in the frame are Angelino,Maffeo,Barker,Iheanacho,Gunn (at least in Wright's place)Denayer, Lopes with a few others close.

I'd add Ambrose & Boadu to that list.

Angelino imo, is a manager's dream, as he could play more than one position & will work his balls off doing it. Even if he passes like shit, he'll still close down better than most of the first team. Chances are, he'll pass better than most of them too & maybe get an assist. I wouldn't want to see him at fullback v a tricky winger, but what about wide in a five man midfield ? He could be a revelation.

I don't understand what it's all been about this season, but I hope we sort it next.

The strangest one for me, was the fact that we were willing to play Pozo with his back to goal vs two big bruisers, but we can't trust Brandon Barker to come off the bench with ten minutes left & have a run at a fullback. Even if Barker failed, it wouldn't be such a terrible thing. Wide players do that.

Anybody who watches the EDS would know after watching one game, which of those two experiments would be most likely to succeed. Pozo playing deeper next to Silva & Nasri ? Yeah, I can see that; I could see him doing well there (although he is not the player who most deserves the promotion). Pozo vs Jagielka, at cf, with his back to goal half the time. NO.

Tbf, Ambrose has grown stronger actually during this season, & it would almost certainly have been him who got the nod for that job if he had been then, what he is now, but still; it is easily possible, by sacrificing one subs' place, to invole some of these players, still, this season.

The sooner they get the first few games over with, the sooner they become fully viable as first team squad players.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum