EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Unlucky.
Sancho curls one against the post.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Nmecha really could have had s hatrick now.
He's wasted two or three, put on a plate for him second half.

Mesmerising football though. If you create as many chances as this team, the law of averages says you'll put most teams away.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 pm

4-0.
Happy for Duhaeney.

Foden going off. Bolton coming on.

Foden has been outstanding. I really thought he ran the show.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Great team to watch, this. Profligate motherfuckers, though.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Who is the number 11? Tricky and very confident and comfortable on the ball
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Looking at the substitutions.
Foden and Sancho in particular. Does anyone else think there's a chance they're in the reckoning for Saturday.
Would love to see it.

Foden in particular was excellent and taken off early with the game won.

We can only hope I suppose.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

nottsblue wrote:Who is the number 11? Tricky and very confident and comfortable on the ball

That's Sancho. Something else isn't he.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Who is the number 11? Tricky and very confident and comfortable on the ball

I know experience and game know-how counts for a lot in the PL, but he is everything Navas is not
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm

nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

I know experience and game know-how counts for a lot in the PL, but he is everything Navas is not

The kid is 16. Won't be 17 until the end of March.
From the first time I've seen him I picked him out as something special. Asked Doug about him.
Doug has always liked what he saw too.

I know we've had so many next big things come through the ranks over the years only to disappear before they make a first team appearance, but this guy even more than Diaz impresses me. If he doesn't get a shot at the first team there is something wrong in our setup.

Having said all that, I think Foden was the standout performer tonight. That kid is super composed and has an intelligent head on his shoulders. Diaz has incredible skill but quite often runs down blind alleys or over does it, but Foden just seems to play the game that is required and chooses the right option. I thought he ran the game until he was substituted.

I really hope that is a sign of a chance for involvement on Saturday. Probably reading to much into it though.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed that tonight but it was bloody cold. Ref was crappy. How the hell didn't he send off the fastest sub to be subbed in history
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks for the updates gentlemen, and for the report from last night Doug.

Cheers
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed that tonight but it was bloody cold. Ref was crappy. How the hell didn't he send off the fastest sub to be subbed in history

That last 10 minutes had me shivering away, bloody freezing. Good performance though and yes, the ref was atrocious.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:17 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

From the first time I've seen him I picked him out as something special. Asked Doug about him.

I know we've had so many next big things come through the ranks over the years only to disappear before they make a first team appearance, but this guy even more than Diaz impresses me. If he doesn't get a shot at the first team there is something wrong in our setup.

Having said all that, I think Foden was the standout performer tonight. That kid is super composed and has an intelligent head on his shoulders. Diaz has incredible skill but quite often runs down blind alleys or over does it, but Foden just seems to play the game that is required and chooses the right option. I thought he ran the game until he was substituted.

I really hope that is a sign of a chance for involvement on Saturday. Probably reading to much into it though.

Foden and Sancho will definitely be playing , if fit, on Saturday. The 18's are away at Newcastle.I also think Foden is carrying a bit of an injury. I think he has been subbed 2 or 3 times now in succession and after the game he was definitely limping when he came across the pitch to the fans/family.
Last edited by Douglas Higginbottom on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Foden and Sancho will definitely be playing , if fit, on Saturday. The 18's are away at Newcastle.

Ah Doug. You're back.
I was kind of hoping they may travel to London. Kind of knew I was reading too much into it.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

I think to say Sancho is comfortable on the ball is a big understatement.

I keep saying the 18's are an absolute joy to watch and it is good that a few more folk get a chance to see them whether at the game or on facebook. Definitely an iffy start whether nerves or the Soton approach I don't know but it really didn't help that Diaz was hacked to the ground in the first few seconds. It looked ominous for a while as he limped around and also because the ref didn't do much about it to show what he was all about.

But they started to get hold of the game as first Tom Dele and Foden started to get going and then Diaz and Sancho. Even Joel Latibeaudierre and Matt Smith wern't great early doors but they quickly got better and the team started to play. Nice first goal , excellent second and a high class third.

Delighted to see Foden score the first. He has so much quality with his touch,passing and vision (Silvaesque) it's great to know that he also has goals in him. The 2nd was what happens when you don't double up on a player like Brahim. The 3rd was just a class team goal right from the back.3 nil after a bit of a struggle.

The 2nd half wasn't clinical enough but was really entertaining and how only 1 more goal was scored is a bit baffling but just watching Sancho is a treat. The lad is a real entertainer but I don't think he overdoes it when the game isn't won but he really can turn it on.

Can't really think of a poor performet in the team. Nmecha wasnt at his best but got a nice tap in goal and is a threat but his first touch needs work as does his passing. Tom Dele-Bashiru is getting back to his best but really needs to stop enticing players to him so he can show his strength and shrug then off. Diallo was really solid tonight after a not so convincing game against Liverpool.

I thought the back line was good too. Duhaney was excellent front and back, I really liked Francis too. Definitely a centre half and not a full back.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:38 pm

MoTM Doug?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:51 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:MoTM Doug?

When teams play well there are often a number of candidates aren't there. Sancho is such an obvious choice because he can get you off your seat. He is so good on the ball and terrorises the opposition more often than not but strange as it might seem in a 4 nil thrashing I think I will go for Ed Francis. So so composed tonight, winning headers, making countless interceptions,passing simple and well and making sure Soton were never going to be a threat.

My son Michael, just back from Brazil, saw this lot for the first time tonight and was impressed with Foden. Who wouldn't be! I love the way he receives the ball on the turn and leaves players behind him. Great touch,great passing and the icing on the cake he scores goals. He has to make it with City.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Francis is a good solid player. I like him. Smith reads the game well and snuffs out attacks very well.can't really say anything negative tonight. It was too easy and the lads over played at times as it wasn't a challenge.

I thought Tom Dele and Dialo controlled the midfield excellently. This allowed the more creative Forden, Sancho and Diaz to express themselves
Wonderwall

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Francis is a good solid player. I like him. Smith reads the game well and snuffs out attacks very well.can't really say anything negative tonight. It was too easy and the lads over played at times as it wasn't a challenge.

I thought Tom Dele and Dialo controlled the midfield excellently. This allowed the more creative Forden, Sancho and Diaz to express themselves

I thought the two in the middle were very strong and also agree it looked too easy for our defence, so it's hard for us that don't see as much of the team to know just how good are they.

I don't know as much about Francis or Smith but have seen Duhaney and Latibeaudierre and have liked what I've seen.

I'm only starting to see Foden but really thought he ran the show.
Doug has described it very well above. It's football intelligence taking it on the turn having already decided where you are going before the ball has arrived or in some cases has even been released.
It's something else having the skill and balance to do it on either foot.

I was really impressed by him tonight.
Sancho. Well I've gone on about him already. I really think that kid has to get s chance soon.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:00 am

Too soon for Sancho IMO. Amazing talent but needs to learn discipline, which he will.

With regards to Francis he started as an attacking left mid according to the fella behind me. He is a blue and comes from a long line of city fans and season ticket holders. All his family are season ticket holders.
Wonderwall

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum