EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Batfink1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:53 am

Yes I have pmd you Douglas
Batfink1
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Batfink1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:56 am

I'm gonna send you a test PM right now, let me know when you have it please
Batfink1

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:58 am

Batfink1 wrote:I'm gonna send you a test PM right now, let me know when you have it please

received. But it said nothing!

On football matters I thought it was interesting watching Angelino last night. In City's unusual 4.3.3 formation I felt he was lost in the wide forward role he had but when he reverted to a regular full back we seemed to see the best of him attacking ( maybe that was helped a lot when Barker came on) but also I think he was pretty good defensively. One covering challenge especially was top class reading of a dire situation.
Last edited by Douglas Higginbottom on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Batfink1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 am

Ok, I'll now re send what appears not to have come through to you yesterday.
Batfink1

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:08 am

I dont agree with bullying etc but i have dealt with parents at kids football and they are a disaster, even at shitty schoolboy sunday league football, if there son doesnt play there is always a reason and an excuse and an inevitable argument, can just imagine what it would be like at a real football club where they all want there sons to be the next Aguero.

Anyway, what exactly is the premier league international cup? worth much?
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Batfink1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:11 am

Dubciteh wrote:I dont agree with bullying etc but i have dealt with parents at kids football and they are a disaster, even at shitty schoolboy sunday league football, if there son doesnt play there is always a reason and an excuse and an inevitable argument, can just imagine what it would be like at a real football club where they all want there sons to be the next Aguero.

Anyway, what exactly is the premier league international cup? worth much?

Hey, I couldn't agree more, parents are often a nightmare and spoil kids footie at all levels, but I promise you this isn't the case here.
Batfink1

Postby Batfink1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:13 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Batfink1 wrote:I'm gonna send you a test PM right now, let me know when you have it please

On football matters I thought it was interesting watching Angelino last night. In City's unusual 4.3.3 formation I felt he was lost in the wide forward role he had but when he reverted to a regular full back we seemed to see the best of him attacking ( maybe that was helped a lot when Barker came on) but also I think he was pretty good defensively. One covering challenge especially was top class reading of a dire situation.

It said nothing as it was a test
Batfink1

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:44 am

I didn't think there was much wrong with what Angelino did Doug, I thought it was everybody else. There was nowhere for him to go & nothing to work with. When he did get free, he had the choice of crossing towards Pozo who was nowhere near anything vs two 6ft4 defenders, or Intima, which he did, and actually found him, but Intima was also challenged by a giant. (Made great efforts to win the header though). One time Angelino shot when he should have passed to Ntcham, but I thought he did fine on the whole.

I thought the problem was Pozo being too small to play cf, & the 3 centre mids being absolutely useless, along with Plummer. Horsefield lives upto his name unfortunately, Glendon is usually a bit better but was playing without using his brain, & Byrne, who is talented, was shocking & played like he'd been coached by Eddie Mcgoldrick. Shite long balls and dangerously under/overhit short balls. Awful.

When Barker came on, he initially had the same problem as Angelino (1 v 3 ) but then Vieira dropped Byrne deeper swapping with Glendon, and suddenly Barker started running at them & their shape went to pieces, so Intima suddenly started destroying the left back & Angelino overlapping Barker causing mayhem.
Correct mentioning a match saving interception from Angelino; great awareness & huge effort. Kolarov doing that so late in a game ? Lmao.

Pozo struggled like fuck but again he was giving everything in the last min of extra time. What he also did, very late on, was keep getting to the near post, knowing that it gave Intima a chance to find him, which he did, & Celtic had several hairy moments from it. Nobody in City's first team can be arsed doing that even in the first half when Navas is on the ball, apart from Jovetic occasionally. Credit to Pozo. Average game, great effort. Needs to move to midfield or he's had it at City though.

Celtic were like a Championship team. Great big fully grown blokes all legging it around like James Milner on amphetemines. How the fuck this underpowered City beat them, I have no idea, but Gunn had a great game & did a DeGea for us. Like DeGea, he benefitted from terrible finishing also, but still, great game. Ash Smith Brown did exceptionally well defensively as a makeshift cb but some comedy distribution. His catastrophic attempt to backheel a backpass was my highlight of the game, because he did another backheel in his own half about 1 min later, just to show us he can. Gets straight back on the horse!

Bryan's injury plus the gut wrenching effort of Angelino, allied to us missing Boadu & Ambrose, makes Monday's game very worrying. A draw might not be a bad result.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:52 am

Batfink1 wrote:I'll pm you now

No PM no surprise

Sounds like a No 1 summer hit single in the Country and Western charts.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:06 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:

No PM no surprise

I got one. It mentioned some kid called Damien having a few problems at the zoo.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Pozo struggled like fuck but again he was giving everything in the last min of extra time. What he also did, very late on, was keep getting to the near post, knowing that it gave Intima a chance to find him, which he did, & Celtic had several hairy moments from it. Nobody in City's first team can be arsed doing that even in the first half when Navas is on the ball, apart from Jovetic occasionally. Credit to Pozo.

Didn't he almost score from one of these for the first team but the keeper saved it with his legs? Good lad
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

No PM no surprise

I got one. It mentioned some kid called Damien having a few problems at the zoo.

damien's biggest problem is being called damien
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

No PM no surprise

damien's biggest problem is being called damien

must be an omen
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby twosips » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Firstly, pleasure to meet you Doug. Absolutely lovely bloke. I don't think I've said 'twosips' out loud in about ten years and I felt like a right muppet approaching a random stranger to say 'I'm twosips off mancityfans' ha. Either way, it was good to meet you finally!

On to the game...

It was interesting. One thing that was pretty clear is that it was a very weakened team. Expected it to be honest, given the prestige and importance surrounding Monday. Something gives me the impression that I reckon the club would bloody love it if our kids won the FA Youth Cup, simply because it'd give the club a much needed PR boost. It'd be a big 'fuck you' to Greg Dyke and all that lot after the launch of the CFA… and with that reasoning i reckon the fact that Barker, Maffeo and Celina were rested amongst others was under directive from the big boys at the top of the academy food chain. I might be wrong but I got that impression. If so, then Vieira had a pretty small pack to play with truth to be told.

As Doug pointed out, the 3 at the back experiment in the first half was dire really. Struggled hugely, and it was only when we back to something approaching our normal shape in the second half that we actually did anything of note. I thought most were average to poor at times. Horsfield, Intima, Drury, Plummer will probably not be at the club next year. All worked hard, but they lack the necessary quality. Intima is a bit SWP but without as much pace or trickery and i just can't see him breaking through. The other three I expect to make decent careers in the lower leagues. Smith-Brown had a bit of a nightmare - that back heel was fucking hilarious. What was he doing?.. but he was out of position and looked a lot more assured when he was shunted over to right back to be fair. Bryan didn't look comfortable on the left of a back 3 at all, but he'll be fine hopefully for Monday. Reckon the substitution was a precautionary move.

I thought Ntcham did okay, considering Glendon and Byrne were pretty naff around him. Sloppy and slow at times and no way near as comfortable in possession as usual. Ntcham had the most impetus and forward drive and I felt if anyone was gonna make something happen in the first half it'd be him. I'm kinda on the fence with the Angelino on the left side debate. He was undoubtedly bang average on the left wing, but then again he had fuck all to work with really. Saw him play left-wing when he scored his hat-trick the other week, in a much brighter and more confident team, and he was great. We'll see.

Celtic were big fuckers. Some of the young scottish lads were right whiny little shits - could hear them howling away from where I was sat. They loved a moan. They created some decent chances but I thought Gunn was exceptional. Yeah a lot of them were standard saves, but its the consistency of his play that really impresses me. He just doesn't really make any mistakes. Its easy to forget he's there given our teams are usually dominant but last night really highlighted how good he is. There's a kind of assurance and arrogance in his play that you get from Courtois and Neuer - i know they're stupidly lofty comparisons but you can very much tell he's a new goalkeeper in a post-Neuer world cos he has absolutely no fear of having the ball and there's an assuredness to his game already that you just don't see in most young keepers. He should be out on loan getting first team football next year somewhere. As Doug pointed out to me, he's better than Hart was at this age. Definitely agree.

It was really notable how much the quality of the team rose instantly when Barker and Maffeo came on. Maffeo is fucking great. I was actually sat behind his incredibly passionate and enthusiastic family - one of them turned to me, i presume it was his uncle, and winked and said 'he's better than Zabaleta'. Ha. He was joking, but honestly on this season's form maybe not… It's weird to see a kid possess so much authority, especially one that is 5'8 and so young in a foreign country too. He took the piss out of the Celtic forwards to be honest, dispossessing them easily and striding past them and laying it off. At centre-back he actually reminds me of Cannavaro in his playing style. Measured, tough, elegant. He'll end up a right back and he'll end up as a full international for Spain. Definitely. Barker wasn't great, but his mere presence lived things up for us. Pozo I feel sorry for - there was some nice moments and as Ted said, plenty of effort. Loads. He's just not a forward and its damaging his development playing as a number nine. He needs to play as someone facing the goal, not back to it. Shame.

Once it go to extra time I actually felt confident we'd win, and I defo thought we'd win on pens. Composed as anything, the lot of them, In the end perhaps Celtic could have felt a bit aggrieved as Gunn certainly had more to do, but from the 2nd half onwards we were definitely in control, even if they did offer the odd sporadic threat. All in all, an interesting, if a little dull night. No harm done though hopefully, and plenty learned.

Also - shout out to the muppets sat behind me who spend the whole game bemoaning how 'this lot are as clueless as the first team - we've got no hope' and kept moaning about that 'baker lad' not playing. Sigh. During the first half of extra time it actually tested my patience and I turned round politely and let em know that this was basically a reserve team for the EDS and nowhere near our strongest bunch, and that they should watch the u18s on Monday for a more fairer representation. The negativity fucking annoyed me. So unnecessary…..

On a brighter note, literally, the academy looks amazing in the spring sun! We really do take it for granted already how good this set up is. A few Celtic fans I briefly chatted to outside were in awe of it all. We're a lucky bunch.

twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:57 pm

twosips wrote:Firstly, pleasure to meet you Doug. Absolutely lovely bloke. I don't think I've said 'twosips' out loud in about ten years and I felt like a right muppet approaching a random stranger to say 'I'm twosips off mancityfans' ha. Either way, it was good to meet you finally!

On to the game...

It was interesting. One thing that was pretty clear is that it was a very weakened team. Expected it to be honest, given the prestige and importance surrounding Monday. Something gives me the impression that I reckon the club would bloody love it if our kids won the FA Youth Cup, simply because it'd give the club a much needed PR boost. It'd be a big 'fuck you' to Greg Dyke and all that lot after the launch of the CFA… and with that reasoning i reckon the fact that Barker, Maffeo and Celina were rested amongst others was under directive from the big boys at the top of the academy food chain. I might be wrong but I got that impression. If so, then Vieira had a pretty small pack to play with truth to be told.

As Doug pointed out, the 3 at the back experiment in the first half was dire really. Struggled hugely, and it was only when we back to something approaching our normal shape in the second half that we actually did anything of note. I thought most were average to poor at times. Horsfield, Intima, Drury, Plummer will probably not be at the club next year. All worked hard, but they lack the necessary quality. Intima is a bit SWP but without as much pace or trickery and i just can't see him breaking through. The other three I expect to make decent careers in the lower leagues. Smith-Brown had a bit of a nightmare - that back heel was fucking hilarious. What was he doing?.. but he was out of position and looked a lot more assured when he was shunted over to right back to be fair. Bryan didn't look comfortable on the left of a back 3 at all, but he'll be fine hopefully for Monday. Reckon the substitution was a precautionary move.

I thought Ntcham did okay, considering Glendon and Byrne were pretty naff around him. Sloppy and slow at times and no way near as comfortable in possession as usual. Ntcham had the most impetus and forward drive and I felt if anyone was gonna make something happen in the first half it'd be him. I'm kinda on the fence with the Angelino on the left side debate. He was undoubtedly bang average on the left wing, but then again he had fuck all to work with really. Saw him play left-wing when he scored his hat-trick the other week, in a much brighter and more confident team, and he was great. We'll see.

Celtic were big fuckers. Some of the young scottish lads were right whiny little shits - could hear them howling away from where I was sat. They loved a moan. They created some decent chances but I thought Gunn was exceptional. Yeah a lot of them were standard saves, but its the consistency of his play that really impresses me. He just doesn't really make any mistakes. Its easy to forget he's there given our teams are usually dominant but last night really highlighted how good he is. There's a kind of assurance and arrogance in his play that you get from Courtois and Neuer - i know they're stupidly lofty comparisons but you can very much tell he's a new goalkeeper in a post-Neuer world cos he has absolutely no fear of having the ball and there's an assuredness to his game already that you just don't see in most young keepers. He should be out on loan getting first team football next year somewhere. As Doug pointed out to me, he's better than Hart was at this age. Definitely agree.

It was really notable how much the quality of the team rose instantly when Barker and Maffeo came on. Maffeo is fucking great. I was actually sat behind his incredibly passionate and enthusiastic family - one of them turned to me, i presume it was his uncle, and winked and said 'he's better than Zabaleta'. Ha. He was joking, but honestly on this season's form maybe not… It's weird to see a kid possess so much authority, especially one that is 5'8 and so young in a foreign country too. He took the piss out of the Celtic forwards to be honest, dispossessing them easily and striding past them and laying it off. At centre-back he actually reminds me of Cannavaro in his playing style. Measured, tough, elegant. He'll end up a right back and he'll end up as a full international for Spain. Definitely. Barker wasn't great, but his mere presence lived things up for us. Pozo I feel sorry for - there was some nice moments and as Ted said, plenty of effort. Loads. He's just not a forward and its damaging his development playing as a number nine. He needs to play as someone facing the goal, not back to it. Shame.

Once it go to extra time I actually felt confident we'd win, and I defo thought we'd win on pens. Composed as anything, the lot of them, In the end perhaps Celtic could have felt a bit aggrieved as Gunn certainly had more to do, but from the 2nd half onwards we were definitely in control, even if they did offer the odd sporadic threat. All in all, an interesting, if a little dull night. No harm done though hopefully, and plenty learned.

Also - shout out to the muppets sat behind me who spend the whole game bemoaning how 'this lot are as clueless as the first team - we've got no hope' and kept moaning about that 'baker lad' not playing. Sigh. During the first half of extra time it actually tested my patience and I turned round politely and let em know that this was basically a reserve team for the EDS and nowhere near our strongest bunch, and that they should watch the u18s on Monday for a more fairer representation. The negativity fucking annoyed me. So unnecessary…..

On a brighter note, literally, the academy looks amazing in the spring sun! We really do take it for granted already how good this set up is. A few Celtic fans I briefly chatted to outside were in awe of it all. We're a lucky bunch.

Nice write up, thanks. was that you who turned round and told me to come on Monday?

only kidding :-)

I know how it feels to be the stupid one using an internet name to ask if someone is who you think they are! I met Doug a couple of times at Carrington and also with his lads at a game or two (who are a great bunch if you get to meet them). Doug knows his onions, did he have his ladders with him?
Wonderwall

Postby Dameerto » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:03 pm

No PM no surprise

Or a topical political satire song.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby mr_nool » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:03 pm

My own forum name works pretty well outside the Internet. "Hi, I'm Nool" sounds quite alright.
I felt like a real twat the first time I was gonna meet up with LAHAD and had to walk around Mary D's asking strangers if they were Let's All Have a Disco...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:37 pm

mr_nool wrote:My own forum name works pretty well outside the Internet. "Hi, I'm Nool" sounds quite alright.
I felt like a real twat the first time I was gonna meet up with LAHAD and had to walk around Mary D's asking strangers if they were Let's All Have a Disco...

Sounds like a good way to make new friends..

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:49 pm

twosips wrote:Firstly, pleasure to meet you Doug. Absolutely lovely bloke. I don't think I've said 'twosips' out loud in about ten years and I felt like a right muppet approaching a random stranger to say 'I'm twosips off mancityfans' ha. Either way, it was good to meet you finally!

On to the game...

Good summary and great to meet you too and your dad. That low sun was a bummer at times when the play was at our end.Must remember my cricket hat for Sunday if the sun is out.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:25 am

looks like tonights game is a sell out as tickets are no longer on sale.
Should be a good atmosphere for the lads.
Wonderwall

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum