EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby twosips » Tue May 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Well apparently, according to City Watch on Twitter and Gary Worthington, he's involved in the first team squad next year which is pretty exciting.

Also, done a little loan review on Marcos Lopes here if anyone fancies a read.

http://inesteemedkompany.blogspot.co.uk ... eview.html
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby nottsblue » Tue May 26, 2015 8:35 pm

twosips wrote:Well apparently, according to City Watch on Twitter and Gary Worthington, he's involved in the first team squad next year which is pretty exciting.

Great read twosips. If you had to pin your colours to the mast, which of our boys will be first into the first team squad? Lopez or Denayer must be favourites after their loan spells
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue May 26, 2015 8:47 pm

twosips wrote:Well apparently, according to City Watch on Twitter and Gary Worthington, he's involved in the first team squad next year which is pretty exciting.

That's a really interesting read, thanks. It would be great if he could break through into the first team squad.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby twosips » Tue May 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Denayer maybe edges it. Maybe. Personally I'd go for both. Kelechi and Maffeo too. They're the four I'd promote. All would bring skill, pace, energy and enthusiasm to the team.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:05 pm

twosips wrote:Denayer maybe edges it. Maybe. Personally I'd go for both. Kelechi and Maffeo too. They're the four I'd promote. All would bring skill, pace, energy and enthusiasm to the team.

Here's hoping.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby twosips » Tue May 26, 2015 9:16 pm

The more I think about it, the more i'm not having it that United's 'Class of 92' was this untouchable thing that no one will get near again in England. (I know no one mentioned it, just crossed my mind earlier)

Beckham. Very good player who knew what he did well, and played on it excellently. Scholes was on his day world class. Neville an honest, hard-working fullback. Neville, that but less so and Butt nowt more than a tough, functional player. Giggs, excellent, but never TRULY great. Huge cock too. Actually...all of them were, but let's ignore that.

That isn't a list of players with insane talent. It's a list of ultimately talented individuals who had the right attitude. Maffeo isn't less talented than either Neville, Kean Bryan has everything Butt had and more, Denayer has just as much natural footballing ability as someone like Beckham and Giggs' level of ability wasn't truly world class or untouchable, just constantly good and reliable, sometimes a match winner. Lopes has all that instinctive potential magic, and Kelechi has even greater potential that - whether that materialises is another thing entirely, but we have kids rocketing through our ranks with bucketfuls of natural ability and importantly that same work ethic and desire cos we finally have the coaching right. I genuinely think we're on the cusp of something special here. Fast forward three or four years and we'll have experienced players sat on the bench and our own in the team. And more trying to get in. I'm 100% certain. Can't wait.
Last edited by twosips on Tue May 26, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby blues2win » Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 pm

The best of them was Scholes. Excellent technically in every discipline except tackling! Scandalously misused by England.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:29 pm

I'm too lazy to go checking at this hour, but I'm nearly sure they didn't all make the break into the first team in the same year either. Still a good haul from the one era.
If three of ours make the breakthrough at the same time, it would be something.
Follow that each year with one or two more.
I get excited too, by the prospect of what we might have in a few more seasons.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 27, 2015 5:02 pm

Sparklehorse wrote:It's very difficult to fathom where he's going to fit in next season. Aguero is obviously No 1 and Bony ain't going anywhere he just has to shine when he gets his chance. Class will always win in the end and if he is as good as I hope he will be the others, whoever they may be, will just have to stand aside.
It's really exciting to have this kind of prospect in our ranks, there are other good prospects too and I shall be following their progress closely as well.

I'm just musing but, given the 'immovability' of Aguero and Bony, I wonder if he would fit into a Terry Venables style 4-3-2-1 'Christmas Tree' formation ??

Bony could play as the tip of the 'Tree' with Aguero and Nacho as the two behind him.

Mind you, that always pre-supposes that Pellegrini would even want to consider such a tactical formation.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Sparklehorse wrote:It's very difficult to fathom where he's going to fit in next season. Aguero is obviously No 1 and Bony ain't going anywhere he just has to shine when he gets his chance. Class will always win in the end and if he is as good as I hope he will be the others, whoever they may be, will just have to stand aside.
It's really exciting to have this kind of prospect in our ranks, there are other good prospects too and I shall be following their progress closely as well.

I'm just musing but, given the 'immovability' of Aguero and Bony, I wonder if he would fit into a Terry Venables style 4-3-2-1 'Christmas Tree' formation ??

Bony could play as the tip of the 'Tree' with Aguero and Nacho as the two behind him.

Mind you, that always pre-supposes that Pellegrini would even want to consider such a tactical formation.

His Nigerian coach was suggesting that he could easily play the role Frank Lampard did, arriving in the box at the right time. If he learned to play the midfield the way Frank could when he was younger, I'd be very pleased.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 27, 2015 5:34 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

His Nigerian coach was suggesting that he could easily play the role Frank Lampard did, arriving in the box at the right time. If he learned to play the midfield the way Frank could when he was younger, I'd be very pleased.

Interesting thought.

It would be good to hear Ted and TwoSip's views on such a possibility.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby twosips » Wed May 27, 2015 5:43 pm

Ted will know more than I do on him as a potential Lampard kinda player. I've only ever seen him play as a forward really, and he's really good at that. Given the fact that Pellers clearly does like playing two up front I'm not too concerned about his game time. It will happen - don't kid yourselves into thinking that he's abandoned that idea. One thing I have noticed is that he comes alive around the area. He needs to be near the box. He likes one twos and little through balls. He's wasted out wide - Vieira has started him on the left and he's been useless. As soon as he switched over to the centre he looked twice the player so he has to be through the middle and involved if we play him.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:00 pm

twosips wrote:Ted will know more than I do on him as a potential Lampard kinda player. I've only ever seen him play as a forward really, and he's really good at that. Given the fact that Pellers clearly does like playing two up front I'm not too concerned about his game time. It will happen - don't kid yourselves into thinking that he's abandoned that idea. One thing I have noticed is that he comes alive around the area. He needs to be near the box. He likes one twos and little through balls. He's wasted out wide - Vieira has started him on the left and he's been useless. As soon as he switched over to the centre he looked twice the player so he has to be through the middle and involved if we play him.

Any time I've seen him Twosips, the thing I've been most impressed with and what marks him out as special at that age, is his instinctive movement inside the box. That's not taught. Even when he was just back from injury and perhaps not at his sharpest, he was still making the correct run and times it really well. The guy just has it in him naturally.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 27, 2015 6:20 pm

Seems to me to be the type of player I thought Jovetic was going to be. Busy in and around the box, trying little one twos, coming alive with the ball and finding space for himself and others.
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Iheanacho!!!!

Postby Chopper » Wed May 27, 2015 6:26 pm

What a goal

Watch on youtube.com

Edit:WW embedded video
Chopper
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Dolemite

Re: Iheanacho!!!!

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Chopper wrote:What a goal

https://youtu.be/keisBGvwGfA

Moved it here
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Iheanacho!!!!

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Chopper wrote:What a goal

https://youtu.be/keisBGvwGfA

Moved it here

What I love about that goal is how comfortable he is with both feet.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby twosips » Wed May 27, 2015 6:41 pm

That's just fucking fantastic. I'd only seen it at the ground and via one angle. It really is magical stuff. You can't accidentally score a goal that good cos you wouldn't be attempting that spin in the first place, and even if you did and you somehow got lucky you wouldn't then have the awareness to gently roll it past the onrushing defender before being composed enough to open your body up and put it in the far corner.

Basically, the likelihood of you scoring a goal like that unless you're anything other than fantastically talented is more or less nonexistent.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed May 27, 2015 6:46 pm

The skill and awareness are outstanding, but the bits I like best are the way he skips over that rag who tries to take him out, and also how he then just trots back after the goal with a few high-fives as if he can score better goals than that.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby twosips » Wed May 27, 2015 9:44 pm

This is class.

http://youthhawk.co.uk/wiki/Manchester_City

All statistics from u18, u19, u21 games.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum