EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:21 pm

I was approached in work by a Leeds supporter (Season ticket holder, travels over from Dublin to their home games) who asked me what my views were on Brandon Barker. He's heard that he is going on loan to them next season. Anyone heard anything about it?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:24 pm

I was approached in work by a Leeds supporter (Season ticket holder, travels over from Dublin to their home games) who asked me what my views were on Brandon Barker. He's heard that he is going on loan to them next season. Anyone heard anything about it?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby twosips » Mon May 25, 2015 12:38 pm

I'm pretty certain that's based on the Uwe Rosler link. Could be sheer speculation as Uwe's always at the eds games. I've seen him 3/4 times myself there this year....

Though that would make sense for the very same reason. I suspect he'll want a loan or two from us, like how he took Huws while at Wigan.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:50 pm

twosips wrote:I'm pretty certain that's based on the Uwe Rosler link. Could be sheer speculation as Uwe's always at the eds games. I've seen him 3/4 times myself there this year....

Though that would make sense for the very same reason. I suspect he'll want a loan or two from us, like how he took Huws while at Wigan.

It wouldn't be the worst of moves if it happens. As you say, Uwe would know all about him and you would expect that he would give him game time, if he wants him there. I would like to see him in the first team squad, but judging on his form at the end of this season, perhaps a loan would be more sensible. If we do buy a quality winger the chances of the likes of Barker getting any significant time on the pitch for us, would be slim.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon May 25, 2015 3:47 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
twosips wrote:I'm pretty certain that's based on the Uwe Rosler link. Could be sheer speculation as Uwe's always at the eds games. I've seen him 3/4 times myself there this year....

It wouldn't be the worst of moves if it happens. As you say, Uwe would know all about him and you would expect that he would give him game time, if he wants him there. I would like to see him in the first team squad, but judging on his form at the end of this season, perhaps a loan would be more sensible. If we do buy a quality winger the chances of the likes of Barker getting any significant time on the pitch for us, would be slim.

Perhaps any putative loan arrangement with Leeds ought to be contingent upon Rosler being employed by that Club.

If Uwe is sacked part way through the season, which is not an unlikely event, the loan agreement should then be terminated.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon May 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Perhaps any putative loan arrangement with Leeds ought to be contingent upon Rosler being employed by that Club.

If Uwe is sacked part way through the season, which is not an unlikely event, the loan agreement should then be terminated.

baconface did that when his son got the boot at Peterborough. If Barker goes there and is doing well, I believe he'll get games whoever the manager is. Personally I wouldn't loan players to dirty leeds on principle, but there you go. There are 23 other clubs at the same level we could look at. Take Middlesbrough, for example, who have got very good manager and play decent stuff.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon May 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

baconface did that when his son got the boot at Peterborough. If Barker goes there and is doing well, I believe he'll get games whoever the manager is. Personally I wouldn't loan players to dirty leeds on principle, but there you go. There are 23 other clubs at the same level we could look at. Take Middlesbrough, for example, who have got very good manager and play decent stuff.

Bacon only managed it because they weren't season long loans. We can't put conditions in a season long loan, so best we could do is ship him out till Xmas then have another look - which is probably the right way to go about it if anyone thinks he's upto scratch.

Personally I think he looks like he's struggle in the hustle and bustle of the championship, but could thrive in the extra time and space in the premier league, but what do I know
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon May 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:Bacon only managed it because they weren't season long loans. We can't put conditions in a season long loan, so best we could do is ship him out till Xmas then have another look - which is probably the right way to go about it if anyone thinks he's upto scratch.

Ah. Didn't know that. Thank you.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon May 25, 2015 5:27 pm

Not a season long loan to start with but I would be ok with him going to Uwe as long as he guarantees decent game time.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Sparklehorse » Mon May 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Thanks for the excellent reports chaps. Pissed off I couldn't go.

Gutted about Pozo. I'm sure it's the timing of his two injuries which has done for him. I was worried it could happen that way. Maybe he can get it back but it's not looking good.
I was worried about Iheanacho in a lesser but similar way tbh. Not that he'd lost it but whether he'd lost 'something'. Although he didn't get long term injured, a year out from serious competitive football at 17 is a long time & even though he's been quality, & looked like one who would make it, the player I have seen so far has not been the same bloke who I watched in Nigeria's U17s. Until I saw the two goals from yesterday. THAT'S the bloke I watched! I've said it before but this kid at 100% is basically Pele at 18 imo. If he can reproduce it at senior level, we have our superstar. People have likened him to Sturridge but there is no comparison from what I've seen.

That turn where he left Thorpe so fucking far for dead that he needed Baldrick and his Time Team to dig him up, then flicked it through the other turd & passed it into the corner of the net; that's Pele. That's not raw pace like Owen had or body power like Rooney had, it's just genius.

It'd strange that you make the comparison with Pele because I live in Swansea and am naturally surrounded by Swans fans at work, a great bunch by the way, and I've been banging on about Nacho Man since the preseason last July, and I said he reminds me of Pele and they all looked at me a bit oddly, but do you know what he really does and I remember Pele well from the 1970 world cup.
His first goal on Saturday had genius written all over it, for someone that young to see that opportunity and not only see it but attempt it and execute it with such apparent ease sets him apart from the rest. I am more excited about this player than any I can ever remember and I really really hope he gets his opportunities next season. I will be having a sneaky tenner on him to win the golden boot because if he gets games he will score goals.
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon May 25, 2015 6:13 pm

Sparklehorse wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Thanks for the excellent reports chaps. Pissed off I couldn't go.

Gutted about Pozo. I'm sure it's the timing of his two injuries which has done for him. I was worried it could happen that way. Maybe he can get it back but it's not looking good.
I was worried about Iheanacho in a lesser but similar way tbh. Not that he'd lost it but whether he'd lost 'something'. Although he didn't get long term injured, a year out from serious competitive football at 17 is a long time & even though he's been quality, & looked like one who would make it, the player I have seen so far has not been the same bloke who I watched in Nigeria's U17s. Until I saw the two goals from yesterday. THAT'S the bloke I watched! I've said it before but this kid at 100% is basically Pele at 18 imo. If he can reproduce it at senior level, we have our superstar. People have likened him to Sturridge but there is no comparison from what I've seen.

That turn where he left Thorpe so fucking far for dead that he needed Baldrick and his Time Team to dig him up, then flicked it through the other turd & passed it into the corner of the net; that's Pele. That's not raw pace like Owen had or body power like Rooney had, it's just genius.

It'd strange that you make the comparison with Pele because I live in Swansea and am naturally surrounded by Swans fans at work, a great bunch by the way, and I've been banging on about Nacho Man since the preseason last July, and I said he reminds me of Pele and they all looked at me a bit oddly, but do you know what he really does and I remember Pele well from the 1970 world cup.
His first goal on Saturday had genius written all over it, for someone that young to see that opportunity and not only see it but attempt it and execute it with such apparent ease sets him apart from the rest. I am more excited about this player than any I can ever remember and I really really hope he gets his opportunities next season. I will be having a sneaky tenner on him to win the golden boot because if he gets games he will score goals.

I don't know if it got a mention but he also tried to score from his own half against the rags on Saturday. On target too but just not hard enough and the keeper got back. He oozes confidence.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Mon May 25, 2015 6:15 pm

I loved that he tried that ^

Some players have an eye for the special and are actually capable of pulling it off too. He's one of them and they're a rare breed.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon May 25, 2015 8:09 pm

And to think we gave the rags shit about Phil Jones being the heir to Duncan Edwards, here we are, with some normally half sane posters comparing a kid to fucking Pele. Turn it in for fuck's sake!

In the best case scenario, Ian could have a youth tournament with an impact as good as tevez did, that was definitely arriving on the world stage with a bang!
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon May 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:And to think we gave the rags shit about Phil Jones being the heir to Duncan Edwards, here we are, with some normally half sane posters comparing a kid to fucking Pele. Turn it in for fuck's sake!

In the best case scenario, Ian could have a youth tournament with an impact as good as tevez did, that was definitely arriving on the world stage with a bang!

Kelechi strongly reminds me of film I've seen of Pele at a similar age. If you don't like it, tough shit. Try watching some film of him yourself & watch Kelechi.

Pele was nowhere near Brazil's best player at that age btw.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Sparklehorse » Mon May 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:And to think we gave the rags shit about Phil Jones being the heir to Duncan Edwards, here we are, with some normally half sane posters comparing a kid to fucking Pele. Turn it in for fuck's sake!

I'm not for one minute saying he's as good a player as Pele at this moment in time that would be ludicrous. He just reminds me of him. I genuinely believe though that we could have a future superstar on our hands, there is definitely something about this kid ☆
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Postby twosips » Mon May 25, 2015 11:25 pm

Yeah it's his playing style. It's very similar. Garcia too reminds me of Silva - not saying he'll never get there but you can see the comparison. Likewise, the young Spanish lad in the u16s. Diaz. Messi comparisons make sense *stylistically*...some youngsters ooze star quality and others can look great but still never have that "magic". He does. Someone like Ambrose looks like a fantastic prospect but doesn't scream 'potential genius' - it's a proper rarity.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 26, 2015 7:16 am

Well he won't be running effortlessly away from chain smoking, beerswilling, 1950s defenders like a big kid v small kids in the school playground, as Pele was for a start. But some of the moves & instinctive stuff is very similar & if you transported him back in time, no fucker would get the ball off Kelechi either. His heading style in front of goal reminds me of him too. Hope he perfects that as Pele did, as he gets older, as it would be a real asset.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue May 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Sparklehorse wrote:

Pele excelled in the 1970 World Cup, not the least because he had the complete freedom of playing off a fabulous centre-forward in Tostao (for me, Tostao was the unsung star of that tournament).

When Nacho does become a permanent fixture in the team, I hope he is used in that same way and given the same support, although where we would now find a modern day Tostao, is anyone's guess.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Sparklehorse wrote:

Pele excelled in the 1970 World Cup, not the least because he had the complete freedom of playing off a fabulous centre-forward in Tostao (for me, Tostao was the unsung star of that tournament).

When Nacho does become a permanent fixture in the team, I hope he is used in that same way and given the same support, although where we would now find a modern day Tostao, is anyone's guess.

That's his natural position. But he's likely to have to play where he's told if he wants to get a game for City, & every other cunt wants to play that spot, including, now probably Yaya.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Sparklehorse » Tue May 26, 2015 5:10 pm

It's very difficult to fathom where he's going to fit in next season. Aguero is obviously No 1 and Bony ain't going anywhere he just has to shine when he gets his chance. Class will always win in the end and if he is as good as I hope he will be the others, whoever they may be, will just have to stand aside.
It's really exciting to have this kind of prospect in our ranks, there are other good prospects too and I shall be following their progress closely as well.
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum