EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Wonderwall » Mon May 18, 2015 5:03 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:So...no Patrick until he make sense to you in an EDS match? I can't argue with you seeing what you're seeing, and i trust your judgment. I just have no real way of knowing what i would expect to see from a manager trying to build on talent and systemic ideas. Sometimes my 9 year olds Columbian coach has him playing midifield or striker tho the kid is clearly some ridiculous wired fullback who "gets" defending on the wings like i can't really understand for a 9 year old. I would imagine by the time he's 18 or 19 a coach shouldn't fuck with what he's good at a lot, but...realistically unless you play Bale on the wing instead of at fullback then he's just basically some shite fullback, right?

i'm apparently the PV apologist from hell, and i have no idea why. A contrarian fuck, indeed. Maybe i need counseling?

cheers

I think you know the answer to that question

Zich Heil
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby twosips » Mon May 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Great write up Twosips, I agree with what you say about the Southampton game, it was a strange one and they played a lot of long ball hoofing to the big centre forward who was very Lambert like in appearance, also the right winger is probably the tallest winger I have ever seen, he must have been 6'4" or taller.

I want to discuss a different area of this game. PV tactics, I was left totally bemused and I left the game thinking he had no idea what he was doing, I also felt the players were confused as to what the system was at some points in the game.

Smith-Brown was left back until he got injured but he was allowed to come inside and often vacated the left back area leaving acres of space, he did exactly the same thing at Old Trafford in midweek too, I cannot for the life of me understand why this kept happening, it was ridiculous the amount of space their right winger had.

The Injuries - When Smith-Brown went off, we went to a back 3? This was very confusing as we were initially playing 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 with pozo up top. We then reverted to 3-6-1. You would have thought he would have brought Evans on and moved him or Bryan into centre back and kept the shape, however he brought Garcia on. Also when Bryan got injured, he brought Evans on and you would have thought he would have put him at CB and got our shape back, but he kept with the 3 at the back which wasn't working as when Southampton broke we were at 6's and 7's. Also playing 3 at the back really stifles Maffeo's role, he cannot play his natural game and he seemed really frustrated. It wasn't his best day at the office today, he didn't track the runner for their first and him and Tosin should communicate better for the 2nd or at least have more urgency, well done to the Southampton lad for noticing and grabbing the opportunity to take the quick throw. We eventually put Kelechi up front with Pozo when Barker was brought on, but I dont understand why PV puts Pozo up top and Kelechi out wide, it really doesn't suit either player. As soon as Kelechi went up top he had more of an impact in 20 mins than he did on the whole of the game prior. However, overall, I didn't think Kelechi had a good game at all and in the games I have seen him so far, he hasn't exactly impressed me at this level. If he has refused a loan option to fight for a first team place, he has a hell of a lot of work to do as he has no chance at the moment IMO.

Barker made a difference, as soon as he came on we were in total control and bossed the game, but just couldn't score.

My overall opinion was we were by far the better team but got dicked 2-0 by two well taken goals by them.

A final point - I don't know where you sit Twosips, but I like to get as close to halfway as possible and as high up as possible. Yesterday had some right pillocks there, I have no idea why they even want to be there. They did nothing but slag our team off for passing backwards, their knowledge of the players was ZERO, their views were appalling, I really wonder why they attended the game and I hope they never attend another. Also there was one bloke to my right who was Mr Angry, he was having a go at the ref, the linesman, the Southampton players and at one point screamed so loud for a penalty he made me jump! everyone sniggered as it was never a penalty in a million years, but he had a face like thunder, I thought he was going to explode.

They all do that. Angelino does it and is very good at it. It's......different.

I don't fully know what to make of it to be honest and I actually agree with the reservations about Paddy's tactics. I've tried to be relatively on the fence with it since I started watching the EDS but I do find some of his decisions more and more bemusing. The Kelechi/Pozo stuff being a prime example. Every single time i've seen Kelechi through the middle he looks a threat. He's CLEARLY not a left winger, and Pozo is clearly not a striker. Baffling stuff. Kelechi's had no real football for ages too so bringing him back and playing him out of position seems odd. Couldn't get my head around the weird 3-6-1 thing too. Perhaps he's actually a visionary and is about to do what Pep did and bring new ideas to the game. Who knows? There is a trend though with the EDS. We start REALLY poorly and eventually get it back together when we switch to something approaching a normal shape with a balanced team. Could all be part of a bigger plan though I guess and he could be making these interesting decisions in cahoots with the academy directors.

I always sit bang in the middle, about 4/5 rows up. I heard Mr Angry. Very amusing from a distance but probably a nightmare up close...and yeah daytripper syndrome is frustrating. Hugely. Every other game im near someone of a similar nature. Bugs me massively...what is the point in coming?

Edit - Actually, this is where I sit. Ha. Noticed the other day that me and my girlfriend were behind Kelechi's head on the image for the EDS highlights couple of weeks ago http://i61.tinypic.com/34q1e1g.jpg I'm the brunette head next to the blonde one ha. I'm usually there with my dad - big bald bloke.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon May 18, 2015 8:14 pm

twosips wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Great write up Twosips, I agree with what you say about the Southampton game, it was a strange one and they played a lot of long ball hoofing to the big centre forward who was very Lambert like in appearance, also the right winger is probably the tallest winger I have ever seen, he must have been 6'4" or taller.

I want to discuss a different area of this game. PV tactics, I was left totally bemused and I left the game thinking he had no idea what he was doing, I also felt the players were confused as to what the system was at some points in the game.

Smith-Brown was left back until he got injured but he was allowed to come inside and often vacated the left back area leaving acres of space, he did exactly the same thing at Old Trafford in midweek too, I cannot for the life of me understand why this kept happening, it was ridiculous the amount of space their right winger had.

The Injuries - When Smith-Brown went off, we went to a back 3? This was very confusing as we were initially playing 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 with pozo up top. We then reverted to 3-6-1. You would have thought he would have brought Evans on and moved him or Bryan into centre back and kept the shape, however he brought Garcia on. Also when Bryan got injured, he brought Evans on and you would have thought he would have put him at CB and got our shape back, but he kept with the 3 at the back which wasn't working as when Southampton broke we were at 6's and 7's. Also playing 3 at the back really stifles Maffeo's role, he cannot play his natural game and he seemed really frustrated. It wasn't his best day at the office today, he didn't track the runner for their first and him and Tosin should communicate better for the 2nd or at least have more urgency, well done to the Southampton lad for noticing and grabbing the opportunity to take the quick throw. We eventually put Kelechi up front with Pozo when Barker was brought on, but I dont understand why PV puts Pozo up top and Kelechi out wide, it really doesn't suit either player. As soon as Kelechi went up top he had more of an impact in 20 mins than he did on the whole of the game prior. However, overall, I didn't think Kelechi had a good game at all and in the games I have seen him so far, he hasn't exactly impressed me at this level. If he has refused a loan option to fight for a first team place, he has a hell of a lot of work to do as he has no chance at the moment IMO.

Barker made a difference, as soon as he came on we were in total control and bossed the game, but just couldn't score.

My overall opinion was we were by far the better team but got dicked 2-0 by two well taken goals by them.

A final point - I don't know where you sit Twosips, but I like to get as close to halfway as possible and as high up as possible. Yesterday had some right pillocks there, I have no idea why they even want to be there. They did nothing but slag our team off for passing backwards, their knowledge of the players was ZERO, their views were appalling, I really wonder why they attended the game and I hope they never attend another. Also there was one bloke to my right who was Mr Angry, he was having a go at the ref, the linesman, the Southampton players and at one point screamed so loud for a penalty he made me jump! everyone sniggered as it was never a penalty in a million years, but he had a face like thunder, I thought he was going to explode.

They all do that. Angelino does it and is very good at it. It's......different.

I don't fully know what to make of it to be honest and I actually agree with the reservations about Paddy's tactics. I've tried to be relatively on the fence with it since I started watching the EDS but I do find some of his decisions more and more bemusing. The Kelechi/Pozo stuff being a prime example. Every single time i've seen Kelechi through the middle he looks a threat. He's CLEARLY not a left winger, and Pozo is clearly not a striker. Baffling stuff. Kelechi's had no real football for ages too so bringing him back and playing him out of position seems odd. Couldn't get my head around the weird 3-6-1 thing too. Perhaps he's actually a visionary and is about to do what Pep did and bring new ideas to the game. Who knows? There is a trend though with the EDS. We start REALLY poorly and eventually get it back together when we switch to something approaching a normal shape with a balanced team. Could all be part of a bigger plan though I guess and he could be making these interesting decisions in cahoots with the academy directors.

I always sit bang in the middle, about 4/5 rows up. I heard Mr Angry. Very amusing from a distance but probably a nightmare up close...and yeah daytripper syndrome is frustrating. Hugely. Every other game im near someone of a similar nature. Bugs me massively...what is the point in coming?

Edit - Actually, this is where I sit. Ha. Noticed the other day that me and my girlfriend were behind Kelechi's head on the image for the EDS highlights couple of weeks ago http://i61.tinypic.com/34q1e1g.jpg I'm the brunette head next to the blonde one ha. I'm usually there with my dad - big bald bloke.

Just a (completely unsubstantiated) thought about Kelechi being tried out on the left but, if there is the idea of bringing him into the first team squad next season and Pellegrini is contemplating switching to a 4-3-3 formation with Aguero and Bony being two of the front three, then wide left might be the preferred position for Kelechi in that set-up.

On that basis, Vieira might have been instructed to play him out wide in preparation for the new campaign.

Purely speculative thought but, nonetheless, it might explain things.......
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon May 18, 2015 8:24 pm

Trying to figure out the tactical stuff in reserve games in not worth the effort. It's almost certain Kelechi has been played out wide in order to put him through his paces & it could be Pellegrini, Vieira testing him, or simply to make him run about more, as he needs match fitness & is way off it compared to how he was a year ago.

But it won't be because they don't know his best position, which isn't cf incidentally. He wasn't playing cf in Nigeria's U17s, he was more of a No 10, same as Pozo.

It does the players nor Vieira no harm to experiment with different systems either. Where else will they ever get the chance to do it in competitiive football, in any games in the rest of their lives if they don't do it right now ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby nottsblue » Mon May 18, 2015 8:39 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Trying to figure out the tactical stuff in reserve games in not worth the effort. It's almost certain Kelechi has been played out wide in order to put him through his paces & it could be Pellegrini, Vieira testing him, or simply to make him run about more, as he needs match fitness & is way off it compared to how he was a year ago.

But it won't be because they don't know his best position, which isn't cf incidentally. He wasn't playing cf in Nigeria's U17s, he was more of a No 10, same as Pozo.

It does the players nor Vieira no harm to experiment with different systems either. Where else will they ever get the chance to do it in competitiive football, in any games in the rest of their lives if they don't do it right now ?

Not dissimilar to the old Ajax concept of total football really. Where any player could play any position. Keeps them on their toes and in the event of injuries and suspensions the team doesn't suffer as much
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby twosips » Mon May 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Oh I agree. It just makes for baffling watching. It also makes you unsure of Vieira's potential when you watch him week in week out do seemingly bizarre things...be it fair or not.

As I said, it could be, and most likely is, part of a bigger picture but its just a bit confusing from the sidelines.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon May 18, 2015 10:02 pm

The u15s were even playing stuff like 343 a couple of seasons ago.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blues2win » Tue May 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Under21s smashing Southampton 0-4 away. Kelechi scores one and two assists.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby twosips » Tue May 19, 2015 7:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6pMV6T ... e=youtu.be its on here btw! you can rewind the player too by dragging the timer thingy.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue May 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Good performance, once we settled down. We were lucky the Isgrove shot didn't go in off the inside of the post on 25mins.

We dominated the game from about 30 to 80 mins.

I was very impressed with the Southampton Youtube TV coverage. Two knowledgeable and fair commentators. An entertaining match.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue May 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:Good performance, once we settled down. We were lucky the Isgrove shot didn't go in off the inside of the post on 25mins.

I was very impressed with the Southampton Youtube TV coverage. Two knowledgeable and fair commentators. An entertaining match.

Well they've no future in the game.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Tue May 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:Good performance, once we settled down. We were lucky the Isgrove shot didn't go in off the inside of the post on 25mins.

Certainly not at Sky, BT or the BBC
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue May 19, 2015 10:41 pm

twosips wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6pMV6TC6qc&feature=youtu.be its on here btw! you can rewind the player too by dragging the timer thingy.

Fantastic. Thanks
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby freshie » Tue May 19, 2015 11:20 pm

freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby kinkylola » Wed May 20, 2015 6:18 am

great stuff for the goals and watching us play ... if that's how paddy V would get the first team playing under him, give him the gig tomorrow.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Plain Speaking » Wed May 20, 2015 4:55 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:

Certainly not at Sky, BT or the BBC

Very true, I get use to shocking bias against our club, from most commentators.

The Southampton commentators' welcomed City fans, but ironically apologised, that their comments "may favour Southampton".
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby twosips » Wed May 20, 2015 5:35 pm

I enjoyed that game. Iffy opening period, but most of their chances just came from the possession football going a little awry. Even people usually comfortable on the ball like Evans, Angelino and Humphreys were a bit sloppy. They all recovered and had decent solid games in the end. Angelino made some really good covering blocks as well. His energy definitely helps at times. No Maffeo in the squad, but Horsfield had a decent game. He got forward pretty well from right-back so fair play to him. Guess the mistakes and misplaced passes will happen and credit must go to them really for sticking at it. Vieira would have been chuffed in general. Lots of his ideas worked. We have some very interesting and distinctive tactics that i've not seen much of before and as weird as they may seem to us as viewers, i'm almost certain they will improve the players individually.Playing players out of position, insisting on more or less all corners being taken short and getting fullbacks to tuck in centrally. They're done for a reason, definitely. It's clever stuff and I wouldn't be surprised if there's some huge bigger picture we're not privy too.

It really was a good performance. There was a swagger and arrogance to the EDS's game that I hadn't seen for a while really. Dead nice football. Passes were slick, fast and the movement really intricate and precise. Glendon was the best i've seen him for a bit too. There was more actual skill to his game than the usual tidy passing stuff - he swivelling this way and that spinning away from defenders. Byrne too. Ntcham continued to be an enigma. What an odd talent he is. His best performance in a City shirt for a few weeks. Capable of anything. Power, energy, passing and moments of brilliance with his goal today being proof, but he's also prone to disappearing and running into people. As others have said, there is something there...somewhere... and it'll be interesting to see how his experience turns out at City. It could go absolutely any way, good or bad, and I wouldn't be surprised by any possible outcome. Instinctively i say it'd be a 'No'...but who the fuck knows?

Nemane was relatively quiet, but busy - and he still scored. Lost count of how many he's scored tapping in at the back pst. Most wingers don't score as many tap-ins as he does, though most simply don't attack the back post with the same endeavour either. It's a nice habit and it makes him a nuisance even on an off day cos he was relatively quiet, but still looked a threat. Barker was back to something approaching his best. Thank fuck. His goal was delightful - proper Hazard-esque and I honestly think that's who he should model his game on. He was a little quiet initially but as soon as something went well he sparked up. He didn't have it easy either - their right back was huge, fast and powerful. Called Mugabe...(insert your own dictator jokes) yet Barker had him a couple of times. Iheanacho was a lot better up top Two assists and a goal. He's a lot more than the Sturridge types he's compared to. Love his little penchant for a little one-two around the area. Really reminds me a lot more of Silva, and its a devastatingly effective technique when executed well. And he's good at it. He's closer to Bergkamp style wise than Sturridge.

James Hardy came on in the second half. Dunno much about him. Doug? This was the first time i'd seen him. He looked really good though I suspect he's one we might be passing on? It was a good cameo though. Dead calm and composed with the ball. Really looking forward to the weekend's derby game now. Really ope we do United.

Oh and if anyone fancies watching the whole EDS 4-0 Southampton game its available on their youtube still. Link here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6pMV6TC6qc
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby twosips » Wed May 20, 2015 5:39 pm

Ps - rumours that Angus Gunn is going on a season long loan to Aberdeen. A season on loan somewhere physical for him would be great.

And the u18s played today. Lost 3-1 to Villa. Insanely young team though and loads of u15s. Wilcox said it was a good performance apparently considering everything.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby kinkylola » Wed May 20, 2015 5:55 pm

twosips wrote:Ps - rumours that Angus Gunn is going on a season long loan to Aberdeen. A season on loan somewhere physical for him would be great.

And the u18s played today. Lost 3-1 to Villa. Insanely young team though and loads of u15s. Wilcox said it was a good performance apparently considering everything.

I like the look of Gunn a lot ... Hope he isn't going to aberdeen to play backup to some washed up keeper from eastern europe.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby twosips » Wed May 20, 2015 5:59 pm

kinkylola wrote:
twosips wrote:Ps - rumours that Angus Gunn is going on a season long loan to Aberdeen. A season on loan somewhere physical for him would be great.

I like the look of Gunn a lot ... Hope he isn't going to aberdeen to play backup to some washed up keeper from eastern europe.

Same. If he goes as first choice then great. First team football more or less anywhere competitive will be good for him.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum