EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 12, 2015 9:25 am

@WW you are assuming that Vieira was bollocking the keeper for kicking it long, he wasn't. He was pointing out the pass which I have referred to earlier which he missed & then was forced to kick it long due to dithering Joe Hart style & not being aware enough.

That's the point; being alert to the pass & all the players around making themselves available to receive a pass & also being aware of the positions of their team mates so that if they do receive the ball under pressure, they know where their out ball is, rather than always going straight back to the goalkeeper.

Gunn missed a pass out due to not being sharp enough & then was forced to kick it, like Joe Hart does pretty much all the time. That lack of awareness added to occasionally unusually poor ball control, is where City's play was going wrong v Chelsea & Porto, not because the oppo were pressing so well it was impossible, purely because they were getting it wrong. They can do it (well Ellis Plummer probably can't tbf, but most can). When they did it correctly, they passed around the pressers & started attacks. When they were dozy about it, they lost the ball.

Vieira knows, as everybody knows, occasionally they will have to kick it. He didn't bollock them every time that happened, it wasn't about that; it was about lack of awareness. Thise are the games where the true test comes, & if they want to make it, they have to learn to do it right in those games.

Simon Davies (ex rag class of '92 with Beckham etc, who runs the academy) is in the evening News making that very point today (& also says these kids are not ready yet but that we have some of the best probably in Europe amongst them).
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 12, 2015 10:07 am

Ted Hughes wrote:@WW you are assuming that Vieira was bollocking the keeper for kicking it long, he wasn't. He was pointing out the pass which I have referred to earlier which he missed & then was forced to kick it long due to dithering Joe Hart style & not being aware enough.

That's the point; being alert to the pass & all the players around making themselves available to receive a pass & also being aware of the positions of their team mates so that if they do receive the ball under pressure, they know where their out ball is, rather than always going straight back to the goalkeeper.

Gunn missed a pass out due to not being sharp enough & then was forced to kick it, like Joe Hart does pretty much all the time. That lack of awareness added to occasionally unusually poor ball control, is where City's play was going wrong v Chelsea & Porto, not because the oppo were pressing so well it was impossible, purely because they were getting it wrong. They can do it (well Ellis Plummer probably can't tbf, but most can). When they did it correctly, they passed around the pressers & started attacks. When they were dozy about it, they lost the ball.

Vieira knows, as everybody knows, occasionally they will have to kick it. He didn't bollock them every time that happened, it wasn't about that; it was about lack of awareness. Thise are the games where the true test comes, & if they want to make it, they have to learn to do it right in those games.

Simon Davies (ex rag class of '92 with Beckham etc, who runs the academy) is in the evening News making that very point today (& also says these kids are not ready yet but that we have some of the best probably in Europe amongst them).

I understand the general feel of this whole debate and I agree with most part. If you remember the incident we are talking about, it was Maffeo who passed it back to Gunn and Porto were pressing high, Gunn had his back to most of the team as he was facing Maffeo to receive the ball, if he would have let the ball roll across him to change his angle he would have been in deep shit, having to do a step over or a dummy to fool their attacker before releasing the ball. We dont need to put our keeper under that pressure constantly.

Also when you are talking about taking the easy option, Angelino, Maffeo, Plummer and Evans were doing that all night long, they were just giving it straight back to Gunn without look at other options also. Dont get me wrong, I prefer that, because we retained possession, however, Porto got wise to it and we ended up with the scenario I explained earlier with a huge void in the centre of the pitch that Glendon and Byrne should have occupied.

I agree with the whole philosophy, however, the kids or young adults as they are now, have played at a decent level for a long time and should be able to make their own sensible choices. The time for debate is back in the training ground watching the video and discussing the options that were available and what they should do if there was a better option.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:12 am

Ted Hughes wrote:If you think about it, the more they learn from their mistakes vs sides like Chelsea, the more they are likely to be able to cope with anything the first team ask them to do.

You are suggesting that if they learn to play the ball around under pressure, that it somehow makes it diffucult for them when they don't have to! Think about it . Of course they will find it easier if Hart doesn't even pass to them! They then don't have to worry about it.

As for them finding it difficult to adapt to the first team, of course they will. Why shouldn't they ? The best ones are only just 18 years old. If they found it easy, they would be better than Messi. It will be a huge step up. That's why they aren't playing.

But to put things into perspective; the team which struggled & beat Porto, dominated a Chelsea side containing most of the best of their youth cup team, & also Loftus Cheek & Nathan Ake & beat them a few months ago. Celina, who had a stinker,apparently ran rings round their u18s a few days ago as a younger side came back from 0-3 to draw 3-3.

Just because Chelsea won that tie, doesn't mean we have a problem.

I don't want to labour a point Ted, because I think I've explained that I am largely in agreement with yourself and Twosips, but I'm finding it difficult to put into words what it is that frustrates me about the current 'nearly there's'. But I didn't mean to suggest what you say I have. If that's how it came across then I'll have to try wording it better.
I suppose it comes down to this. I feel from the few full matches I've seen that the assessments of a number of contributors on here, including yourself, are by and large correct, about the prospects in the 18-21 category. I also feel that there is probably 4-5 players in that bunch that could do a better job than what we have in the first team now, given the chance.
I do believe that they would find it difficult to adapt, as would be expected for anyone that age making the step up.
Where I am probably questioning rather than disagreeing with the integration process for this current crop is thus. They are the vanguard of the academy production line that is to come(hopefully). As such I feel that they will find it more difficult to break into the first team, than the players coming after them, that will hopefully be trying to fit into a City first team that is playing the same way they have been tutored. I'm not questioning their ability to play under pressure.
My questioning revolves around 'is there anything City could be doing differently in preparation, to fast track some of the talent in this specific group through to the first squad'.
It's a question rather than a suggestion. I have no problem with the way the academy players are being taught. I'm only talking about a minor tweak, probably temporary as well, as I see the streamlining of the whole process coming as the younger lads move up through the age groups.

It's just a theory. It won't mean diddley in a couple of years, anyway, I reckon. Looking forward to it.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 12, 2015 12:38 pm

What they should have been doing imo, is getting them on the pitch in first team games, even though they aren't ready. Not as starters apart from maybe couple in cup games, but as Carl & I discussed recently, there is that fear factor which players have to overcome. Fernando & Mangala are arguably only coming to terms with it now. By getting a few of these kids involved, the more time they get, the closer they are to shedding those nerves. The one time they did do it, they stuck the poor little bastard Pozo up against Jagielka with his back to goal & nobody passing to him. He struggles with that role even in the EDS.
Last edited by Ted Hughes on Tue May 12, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:@WW you are assuming that Vieira was bollocking the keeper for kicking it long, he wasn't. He was pointing out the pass which I have referred to earlier which he missed & then was forced to kick it long due to dithering Joe Hart style & not being aware enough.

I understand the general feel of this whole debate and I agree with most part. If you remember the incident we are talking about, it was Maffeo who passed it back to Gunn and Porto were pressing high, Gunn had his back to most of the team as he was facing Maffeo to receive the ball, if he would have let the ball roll across him to change his angle he would have been in deep shit, having to do a step over or a dummy to fool their attacker before releasing the ball. We dont need to put our keeper under that pressure constantly.

Also when you are talking about taking the easy option, Angelino, Maffeo, Plummer and Evans were doing that all night long, they were just giving it straight back to Gunn without look at other options also. Dont get me wrong, I prefer that, because we retained possession, however, Porto got wise to it and we ended up with the scenario I explained earlier with a huge void in the centre of the pitch that Glendon and Byrne should have occupied.

I agree with the whole philosophy, however, the kids or young adults as they are now, have played at a decent level for a long time and should be able to make their own sensible choices. The time for debate is back in the training ground watching the video and discussing the options that were available and what they should do if there was a better option.

Yeah but that's where all of them, including Gunn were poor imo & they can do it & have done it. Jack Byrne used to be like Iniesta in that situation & I don't understand why he seems to have lost the picture of what is around him. But it's not the system which is wrong it's the lads themselves underperforming. But most of the time during the season, they get it right.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Yeah but that's where all of them, including Gunn were poor imo & they can do it & have done it. Jack Byrne used to be like Iniesta in that situation & I don't understand why he seems to have lost the picture of what is around him. But it's not the system which is wrong it's the lads themselves underperforming. But most of the time during the season, they get it right.

Maybe fatigue at the end of a busy season? You've suggested as much yourself. Like you've said before a lot of our youngsters play at higher than their own age group. Maybe it's natural to see it take it's toll now.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby twosips » Wed May 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Spoke to a few Walsall fans about Hiwula's loan spell at theirs if anyone fancies a gander.

http://inesteemedkompany.blogspot.co.uk ... eview.html
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby mr_nool » Wed May 13, 2015 4:17 pm

That was a great read, mate. Many thanks!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Thu May 14, 2015 2:41 pm

mr_nool wrote:That was a great read, mate. Many thanks!

No probs. Hoping to get similar reports on Lopes, Guidetti, Cole and Denayer.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby nottsblue » Thu May 14, 2015 3:05 pm

twosips wrote:
mr_nool wrote:That was a great read, mate. Many thanks!

No probs. Hoping to get similar reports on Lopes, Guidetti, Cole and Denayer.

I know that Cole was very highly rated by Barnsley fans. Not sure what he did at MK Dons. The common perception amongst Barnsley fans was that he was actually too good for them in that he would find space or make runs or play little one twos that the rest of their team weren't good enough to pick up on or respond to. They were disappointed when he left. Be interesting to hear the aspect from the Dons fans to see whether he continued where he left off at Barnsley or whether he has regressed. I must say I didn't see his name on the scoresheet for MK as frequently as it was for Barnsley. He may have been injured, or simply didn't get as much game time.

If it's the latter then I think we should re-evaluate the benefit of the loan system. I notice PV has said this morning again he would like to see the reserves playing lower league football, citing the difference in game nous from Porto who play in Portugals second tier. It's one thing a youngster getting playing experience but we don't want the bad habits of other coaches and players creeping into their game. What is the point of grooming these lads from under 12/13/14 level through to under 21 in the City way, to then send them out somewhere to get experience but then lose focus if what they gave been taught by us is brushed aside by the loan club/coaches. Should we follow Chelsea's example in effectively having a set up in place like Antwerp whereby they are essentially a feeder/training club for Chelsea. They get the game time in a league format but with the coaching system in situ
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Slim » Thu May 14, 2015 3:19 pm

He scored 3 for MK Dons and was featured quite heavily in their "worst player of the year" forum vote.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Thu May 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Slim wrote:He scored 3 for MK Dons and was featured quite heavily in their "worst player of the year" forum vote.

So a poor second half to the season then. The choice of club then appears to be important, though MK are a decent outfit who were promoted so one would assume they would be a good destination. Maybe Cole simply didn't gel with the manager or the MK team, rather than MK being a poor loan choice. Whatever the reason, he now has a bit of work to do pre-season so he doesn't fall behind
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby twosips » Sat May 16, 2015 5:34 pm

Saw two games today. The u18s beat Everton 1-0. Impressive too considering we'd lost 4 out of the last five in the BPLu18s league, and Everton needed to win to the win the league.

And then the EDS. Typed up a report for that. We lost to Southampton 2-0...frustrating game. Wrote this up for my blog if anyone fancies a read. Wrote it for my blog soits not quite in a forum conversational tone but haven't got the time to edit it so ignore that!

http://inesteemedkompany.blogspot.co.uk ... mpton.html

A taste of our own bittersweet medicine. Southampton did to us what we did to Porto last week. They defended well, offered very little going forward and then capitalised on some sloppy defending to win the game. Both of the Saints goals were remarkably easy - the second in particular. Tosin Adarabioyo spent far too long getting back to his feet after a challenge near the touch line and found himself caught out of a position. A simple throw in over the top put their forward through on goal and he squared it across the area for a tap-in. The first was similar and came with only a couple of minutes on this clock - this time it was Ash Smith-Brown at fault as a long ball sailed past him, leaving their right winger with the simple task of picking out his team mate in the middle for the opener. It proved decisive.

It was a frustrating evening for Vieira's men, truth be told. It's been a pretty mixed end to the season for the EDS - the highs of the PLIC win have been followed by two quick defeats and I can't help but feel that many involved today need this season to come to its conclusion. The summer off to reassess and start again with fresh ideas and fresh impetus would be no bad thing. They were by no means poor, far from it. They probed well, worked as hard as ever and had a few decent chances to score too. Kelechi should have found the net, Garcia and Intima as well, but there was something missing. That spark or moment of ingenuity - anything. It was all quite safe. Months ago our left wing axis of Angelino and Barker would have provided drive and flair. A goal threat too… Neither started. Angelino was elsewhere and Barker only made the bench after a recent dip in form. Byrne or Celina might have fired one in from 25 yards and maybe one of the injured Ambrose or Boadu could have skipped past a challenge and drove at the heart of the opposition's defence. Celina wasn't around, the latter two are still sadly struggling with injuries and Byrne isn't quite at the top of his game either. They're not, for whatever reason, at the same level as their more confident selves of a few months ago.

We weren't helped by a series of frustrating little niggles. Maffeo picked up a knock and both Bryan and Smith-Brown had to leave the pitch in the first half, replaced by Garcia and Evans. It lead to an unfamiliar change in shape that consisted of Maffeo, Tosin and Plummer as a back three with a five man midfield of Intima and Iheanacho running the wings. Evans was holding and Ntcham and Byrne both pushed forward - Garcia effectively played as a no.10 behind Pozo, though he found himself quite deep at times essentially creating a six man midfield. With half an hour left Barker came on for Ntcham and took his usual left-wing position, Kelechi went into the middle and Garcia dropped a little deeper making the formation something approaching a more conventional 3-5-2. It definitely helped.It's fair to say Kelechi is no wide player - he struggled to have any impact on the game at all and he only came alive when this change was made and he found himself central. He nearly scored too, rounding the keeper after some lovely link up play with Garcia, but to his frustration his second touch just took the ball out of play.

Pozo was bright again continuing his recent upturn in form, even if it would have been a good idea to switch him and Iheanacho around well before Barker was brought on. His highlight came in the first half, pirouetting away from a defender before putting Garcia through on goal. Sadly Garcia's finish didn't match his overall contribution to the game which was quietly impressive - he dictated proceedings in the second half in a manner befitting his ever-growing stature at this level. Next season will be a very interesting year for him. Ntcham was as ever a real mixed bag. Energetic, powerful and hard working, yet frustratingly inconsistent with the ball - one long range shot somehow managed to clear the stadium. Impressive…in a way. Evans was a lot more comfortable in his preferred midfield role, though Southampton didn't exactly make life difficult for him, and Byrne was decent even if he couldn't quite stamp his authority on the game. Intima worked hard and ran the line well, though lacked quality whenever he was asked to something decisive, missing two good opportunities and failing to pick out any of his teammates from good crossing positions. Defensively we weren't severely tested and Maffeo and Plummer had relatively comfortable games though It wasn't Tosin Adarabioyo's best 90 minutes, culpable for one goal and nearly causing another, but he's 17 and he'll learn. Billy O'Brien took Angus Gunn's place between the sticks and what little he had to do, he did well.

All in all, it was a disappointing afternoon for the EDS though they won't have to wait long for a chance of revenge. They go to St. Mary's this week to play Southampton again before he big one next weekend where we face Man United. Hopefully we'll be able to readdress the balance after last Tuesday's quickly forgettable defeat.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat May 16, 2015 11:26 pm

Not seen any details about the 18's game. Sounds a good win in a tough game. how did it play out and who caught your eye?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Sun May 17, 2015 9:04 am

We were good I thought. It was a properly battling performance. Bit of a midfield scrap at times and it got a little heated - perhaps a draw would have been fair but you'd also have found it easy to argue that either side deserved a victory too. To be honest I thought we'd lose this given the results in the last few weeks and the fact that Everton needed to win to win the league, plus it was effectively a dead rubber for us. They brought blooming loads of family and friends with them - I actually nearly felt a bit sorry for the Everton fans/family when it finished 1-0 us, as they looked devastated. I stress 'nearly'…..ha.

We started with a much more balanced team than the EDS line up. We had Tattum and Vasi as the fullbacks and Charlie Oliver and Humphreys at the back. Nemane was over on the left with Fernandes on the right and the midfield three consisted of Marcus Wood, Diallo and Will Patching. Buckley was up top. I was really impressed with Diallo, only really young (fifteen i think which is mental) but he was composed and strong throughout. He's already a huge physical presence, but it was his touch and technique that i was impressed with. He basically did a Yaya impression, sitting deep and dictating play taking the ball from the centre-backs. Really really good. English lad too. Patching, who i know you were keen to see Doug, struggled a little early doors. To be honest i've seen him 3/4 times now and he's found it a little tough each time. He did settle into the game though and he's clearly a very elegant player but he's still settling into this level i think. Easily brushed off the ball at the moment - he's tall but waif like. Marcus Wood basically played exactly like Kean Bryan. Tough, strong and strides forward well. Proper battler - sloppy in possession on occasion but i do like him.

I also really like Fernandes. Easily our biggest threat. Such an elegant, skilful little player, darting about and popping up here and there. The couple of times he was able to get his marker one on one he did him with ease. Second half he briefly played behind the striker and he was good there too. Took a good freekick as well that their keeper did well to get a hand too (managed to get a vine of it here - https://vine.co/v/eKEXDB2mbvA ). Nemane was relatively quiet but worked hard and he scored the winning goal. I really like his habit of being in the right place at the right time which is a nice trait for any winger. Always bugs me when wingers don't attack the far post when the other bloke on the other side is crossing one in, and he does. He's always there at the back post and he was when a sloppy bit of defending sent Buckley through on goal who showed a nice bit of composure to take his time and pick Nemane out. Buckley had a good game too - i don't know if he's blessed with exquisite technique, but he certainly adds to the team. He never stopped working and he gave the defenders a pretty tough time and he did well for the assist too so no complaints here.

I thought defensively they were all good. I actually like Vasi at left-back - I think he might be shipped out going off something ive read somewhere? If so that'd be harsh. I've seen him twice, probably three times, not sure - but each time he's been solid defensively and bustled forward quite well. Tattum too is a good defender. Bucket loads of energy and its admirable. There was a couple of sloppy of moments for Oliver and humphreys when passing out but they both played well. Oliver actually did some proper nitty gritty defending. the Terry stuff, throwing himself into tackles etc and its really notable that Humphreys is one of the more experienced players in this team now. One point he thought he was Desailly or sumat, strolling forward past 3 challenges…..before promptly running straight into a defender. Ha. He looks confident either way though and he's really developed this season. The difference from a few months back is almost tangible. Charlie Albinson had a pretty easy game in goal. Couple of nice saves but not loads to do.

Final shout out for the subs. Lukas Nmecha and Luke Bolton both came on. Both young too - 15 and 16? Either way both still pretty new to this level and I was impressed. First time i'd seen either in the flesh and they were both very confident lads. Nmecha came on for Patching in the second half, going up top with Buckley going out wide and Fernandes tucking in behind the striker. Bolton was a half-time sub for Nemane. I saw Bolton during the u16s tournament a couple of weeks back that was online and he played through the middle impressing with his strength and hold up play, but finishing badly. He came on here out wide, his usual position apparently. Fuck me he's a tough little bastard - really really impressed by his absolutely lung-bursting runs. He moved and battled like a young Wayne Rooney - sorry. Hate that comparison but his playing style was very reminiscent. Fast, direct and bounced off defenders. One run took him past two from deep inside his own half before he slightly overran it. Obviously not quite the explosive talent that Rooney was at that age, but still an impressive cameo nonetheless. Nmecha was good too. He span away from defenders a couple of times driving straight at Everton's defence. He looked very technically proficient and caused a few problems. They both did well.

I really enjoyed the game. Made me quite excited for next season. Based on that performance you'd struggle to understand why our record in the past few weeks had been so bad! Think some of the u16s are slowly getting to grips with the 18s now so next year will be much better.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun May 17, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks TwoSips.

I really enjoyed reading through this post (as well as all your recent ones) and I think this thread is easily the best one on the entire forum.

IMHO it ought to be made a permanent fixture.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun May 17, 2015 10:15 am

twosips wrote:We were good I thought. It was a properly battling performance. Bit of a midfield scrap at times and it got a little heated - perhaps a draw would have been fair but you'd also have found it easy to argue that either side deserved a victory too. To be honest I thought we'd lose this given the results in the last few weeks and the fact that Everton needed to win to win the league, plus it was effectively a dead rubber for us. They brought blooming loads of family and friends with them - I actually nearly felt a bit sorry for the Everton fans/family when it finished 1-0 us, as they looked devastated. I stress 'nearly'…..ha.

We started with a much more balanced team than the EDS line up. We had Tattum and Vasi as the fullbacks and Charlie Oliver and Humphreys at the back. Nemane was over on the left with Fernandes on the right and the midfield three consisted of Marcus Wood, Diallo and Will Patching. Buckley was up top. I was really impressed with Diallo, only really young (fifteen i think which is mental) but he was composed and strong throughout. He's already a huge physical presence, but it was his touch and technique that i was impressed with. He basically did a Yaya impression, sitting deep and dictating play taking the ball from the centre-backs. Really really good. English lad too. Patching, who i know you were keen to see Doug, struggled a little early doors. To be honest i've seen him 3/4 times now and he's found it a little tough each time. He did settle into the game though and he's clearly a very elegant player but he's still settling into this level i think. Easily brushed off the ball at the moment - he's tall but waif like. Marcus Wood basically played exactly like Kean Bryan. Tough, strong and strides forward well. Proper battler - sloppy in possession on occasion but i do like him.

I also really like Fernandes. Easily our biggest threat. Such an elegant, skilful little player, darting about and popping up here and there. The couple of times he was able to get his marker one on one he did him with ease. Second half he briefly played behind the striker and he was good there too. Took a good freekick as well that their keeper did well to get a hand too (managed to get a vine of it here - https://vine.co/v/eKEXDB2mbvA ). Nemane was relatively quiet but worked hard and he scored the winning goal. I really like his habit of being in the right place at the right time which is a nice trait for any winger. Always bugs me when wingers don't attack the far post when the other bloke on the other side is crossing one in, and he does. He's always there at the back post and he was when a sloppy bit of defending sent Buckley through on goal who showed a nice bit of composure to take his time and pick Nemane out. Buckley had a good game too - i don't know if he's blessed with exquisite technique, but he certainly adds to the team. He never stopped working and he gave the defenders a pretty tough time and he did well for the assist too so no complaints here.

I thought defensively they were all good. I actually like Vasi at left-back - I think he might be shipped out going off something ive read somewhere? If so that'd be harsh. I've seen him twice, probably three times, not sure - but each time he's been solid defensively and bustled forward quite well. Tattum too is a good defender. Bucket loads of energy and its admirable. There was a couple of sloppy of moments for Oliver and humphreys when passing out but they both played well. Oliver actually did some proper nitty gritty defending. the Terry stuff, throwing himself into tackles etc and its really notable that Humphreys is one of the more experienced players in this team now. One point he thought he was Desailly or sumat, strolling forward past 3 challenges…..before promptly running straight into a defender. Ha. He looks confident either way though and he's really developed this season. The difference from a few months back is almost tangible. Charlie Albinson had a pretty easy game in goal. Couple of nice saves but not loads to do.

Final shout out for the subs. Lukas Nmecha and Luke Bolton both came on. Both young too - 15 and 16? Either way both still pretty new to this level and I was impressed. First time i'd seen either in the flesh and they were both very confident lads. Nmecha came on for Patching in the second half, going up top with Buckley going out wide and Fernandes tucking in behind the striker. Bolton was a half-time sub for Nemane. I saw Bolton during the u16s tournament a couple of weeks back that was online and he played through the middle impressing with his strength and hold up play, but finishing badly. He came on here out wide, his usual position apparently. Fuck me he's a tough little bastard - really really impressed by his absolutely lung-bursting runs. He moved and battled like a young Wayne Rooney - sorry. Hate that comparison but his playing style was very reminiscent. Fast, direct and bounced off defenders. One run took him past two from deep inside his own half before he slightly overran it. Obviously not quite the explosive talent that Rooney was at that age, but still an impressive cameo nonetheless. Nmecha was good too. He span away from defenders a couple of times driving straight at Everton's defence. He looked very technically proficient and caused a few problems. They both did well.

I really enjoyed the game. Made me quite excited for next season. Based on that performance you'd struggle to understand why our record in the past few weeks had been so bad! Think some of the u16s are slowly getting to grips with the 18s now so next year will be much better.

Excellent Steve thanks. The team for the 18's changes so much it is almost inevitable they won't have consistency in results and especially so when we have so many young young players being thrown in. It's all part of the plan to give experience though and it all sounds and feels right.

I think it was me who said Vasi was already on his way and that was based on some inside info but I agree with you he looks quite decent at full back. Just a reminder of the levels we are looking at if he isn't considered good enough. Like you I am looking forward big time to next season and getting this cricket stuff out of the way.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Sun May 17, 2015 11:14 am

Great write up Twosips, I agree with what you say about the Southampton game, it was a strange one and they played a lot of long ball hoofing to the big centre forward who was very Lambert like in appearance, also the right winger is probably the tallest winger I have ever seen, he must have been 6'4" or taller.

I want to discuss a different area of this game. PV tactics, I was left totally bemused and I left the game thinking he had no idea what he was doing, I also felt the players were confused as to what the system was at some points in the game.

Smith-Brown was left back until he got injured but he was allowed to come inside and often vacated the left back area leaving acres of space, he did exactly the same thing at Old Trafford in midweek too, I cannot for the life of me understand why this kept happening, it was ridiculous the amount of space their right winger had.

The Injuries - When Smith-Brown went off, we went to a back 3? This was very confusing as we were initially playing 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 with pozo up top. We then reverted to 3-6-1. You would have thought he would have brought Evans on and moved him or Bryan into centre back and kept the shape, however he brought Garcia on. Also when Bryan got injured, he brought Evans on and you would have thought he would have put him at CB and got our shape back, but he kept with the 3 at the back which wasn't working as when Southampton broke we were at 6's and 7's. Also playing 3 at the back really stifles Maffeo's role, he cannot play his natural game and he seemed really frustrated. It wasn't his best day at the office today, he didn't track the runner for their first and him and Tosin should communicate better for the 2nd or at least have more urgency, well done to the Southampton lad for noticing and grabbing the opportunity to take the quick throw. We eventually put Kelechi up front with Pozo when Barker was brought on, but I dont understand why PV puts Pozo up top and Kelechi out wide, it really doesn't suit either player. As soon as Kelechi went up top he had more of an impact in 20 mins than he did on the whole of the game prior. However, overall, I didn't think Kelechi had a good game at all and in the games I have seen him so far, he hasn't exactly impressed me at this level. If he has refused a loan option to fight for a first team place, he has a hell of a lot of work to do as he has no chance at the moment IMO.

Barker made a difference, as soon as he came on we were in total control and bossed the game, but just couldn't score.

My overall opinion was we were by far the better team but got dicked 2-0 by two well taken goals by them.

A final point - I don't know where you sit Twosips, but I like to get as close to halfway as possible and as high up as possible. Yesterday had some right pillocks there, I have no idea why they even want to be there. They did nothing but slag our team off for passing backwards, their knowledge of the players was ZERO, their views were appalling, I really wonder why they attended the game and I hope they never attend another. Also there was one bloke to my right who was Mr Angry, he was having a go at the ref, the linesman, the Southampton players and at one point screamed so loud for a penalty he made me jump! everyone sniggered as it was never a penalty in a million years, but he had a face like thunder, I thought he was going to explode.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Slim » Sun May 17, 2015 2:58 pm

I believe Carl was Mr Angry when we had our Mr Men awards.

So unless we're opening the polls again(and we'd need a returning Patrick for that) you can come up with a different name.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 18, 2015 4:29 pm

So...no Patrick until he make sense to you in an EDS match? I can't argue with you seeing what you're seeing, and i trust your judgment. I just have no real way of knowing what i would expect to see from a manager trying to build on talent and systemic ideas. Sometimes my 9 year olds Columbian coach has him playing midifield or striker tho the kid is clearly some ridiculous wired fullback who "gets" defending on the wings like i can't really understand for a 9 year old. I would imagine by the time he's 18 or 19 a coach shouldn't fuck with what he's good at a lot, but...realistically unless you play Bale on the wing instead of at fullback then he's just basically some shite fullback, right?

i'm apparently the PV apologist from hell, and i have no idea why. A contrarian fuck, indeed. Maybe i need counseling?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum