EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby twosips » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:29 am

Part 1 of a huge loan report here -

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2015/12/31/cit ... rt-part-1/

Featured Byrne, Evans, Horsfield, Lawlor, Yeboah and Zuculini.

Posting part 2 tomorrow with Fofana, Denayer, Barker etc....

Enjoy :)
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:04 am

twosips wrote:Part 1 of a huge loan report here -

Go on, you legend.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:50 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
twosips wrote:Part 1 of a huge loan report here -

Go on, you legend.

Was only thinking about this the other day when I saw Evans, (I think) had scored again. Lovely to read an unbiased account of how some of the lads are doing away at other clubs.

Thoroughly deserved legendary status by the way. You really do bring something extra to the forum and long may it continue. Happy new year
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby twosips » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Cheers gents! Did I get that 'legend' status? What happens now if I did? Ha.

On a less narcissistic note, glad you enjoyed it. Naturally I'm always slightly on the side of positivity. They're young players after all, but I do think most are all doing okay which at this stage is fine. There's a couple that maybe would've been disappointed but that's life.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby twosips » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:36 pm

Here's part two.

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2016/01/03/cit ... rt-part-2/

Denayer, Barker, Fofana, Lawlor, Angelino, Facey and Unal.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ColinBell8 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Really enjoyed reading these. Looking forward to seeing the development of the lads now.
ColinBell8
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby blues2win » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks Two Sips. What's obvious is that choosing the right loan clubs for these youngsters is a crucial part of finalising their development. After Barker's treatment I'm surprised Rotherham wasn't blacklisted by the Club. If our youngsters don't get a fair chance at a Club that should count against them in the future.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:15 pm

I kind of get the impression a lot of these lads are sent out on loan to be in the shop window. Not necessarily a bad thing as if they do well they will generate income for us or they might become squad players for our first team.

If just two of our current EDS lads make our first team in the next two years it will be a resounding success
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:05 am

twosips wrote:Here's part two.

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2016/01/03/cit ... rt-part-2/

Denayer, Barker, Fofana, Lawlor, Angelino, Facey and Unal.

Cheers! Love these!
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby twosips » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:39 pm

Cheers CB, Prezike!

nottsblue wrote:I kind of get the impression a lot of these lads are sent out on loan to be in the shop window. Not necessarily a bad thing as if they do well they will generate income for us or they might become squad players for our first team.

If just two of our current EDS lads make our first team in the next two years it will be a resounding success

I think the intention is actually pure with some of them. Perhaps some they may expect they won't quite make the grade, but I do think the intention is to integrate them eventually if these moves went well, and I think they hope that they might surprise them. Fofana is a good example. I doubt they've given up on the likes of Byrne, Ntcham, Evans, Angelino etc yet though.

blues2win wrote:Thanks Two Sips. What's obvious is that choosing the right loan clubs for these youngsters is a crucial part of finalising their development. After Barker's treatment I'm surprised Rotherham wasn't blacklisted by the Club. If our youngsters don't get a fair chance at a Club that should count against them in the future.

Its incredibly hard. As I said in that piece, I don't think a kid has to be a star on loan. Just competent. Finding a club where they can guarantee any of our kids 25+ games over a season would be great, but its never as simple as that. It's so fucking hard. They don't need to learn footballing skills out on loan usually, just how to cope with the professional game.

Rotherham and Barker is a great example. The second that Rotherham signed a permanent player of their own, Barker was out on his arse. Why would they bother using a loan lad when theyve got a perm transfer instead? Though there was the rumour, which i believe, that a rotherham player basically pleaded for another chance (appearance fee was lost, bills & mortgage to pay etc) and as simple as that he was back in the team. Its so tough, though City must've believed the intentions were legit otherwise Facey wouldnt be there.

I'd hate to be the guy who had to choose the loans as its so so so difficult. The clubs abroad with B-teams have life vastly easier.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:55 pm

nottsblue wrote:I kind of get the impression a lot of these lads are sent out on loan to be in the shop window. Not necessarily a bad thing as if they do well they will generate income for us or they might become squad players for our first team.

I think that is realistic.

Without doubt both City and Chelsea have been forced into a position to create and use an enormous academy as a boost to their incomes. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as it gives lots of people a good chance to impress.

But anyone who is expecting a long stream of players ready-made for the CL quarter-finals or the PL winners rostrum is, to be kind, optimistic. To be unkind, an idiot.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby mr_nool » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:57 pm

twosips wrote:Cheers CB, Prezike!

I think the intention is actually pure with some of them. Perhaps some they may expect they won't quite make the grade, but I do think the intention is to integrate them eventually if these moves went well, and I think they hope that they might surprise them. Fofana is a good example. I doubt they've given up on the likes of Byrne, Ntcham, Evans, Angelino etc yet though.

blues2win wrote:Thanks Two Sips. What's obvious is that choosing the right loan clubs for these youngsters is a crucial part of finalising their development. After Barker's treatment I'm surprised Rotherham wasn't blacklisted by the Club. If our youngsters don't get a fair chance at a Club that should count against them in the future.

Its incredibly hard. As I said in that piece, I don't think a kid has to be a star on loan. Just competent. Finding a club where they can guarantee any of our kids 25+ games over a season would be great, but its never as simple as that. It's so fucking hard. They don't need to learn footballing skills out on loan usually, just how to cope with the professional game.

Rotherham and Barker is a great example. The second that Rotherham signed a permanent player of their own, Barker was out on his arse. Why would they bother using a loan lad when theyve got a perm transfer instead? Though there was the rumour, which i believe, that a rotherham player basically pleaded for another chance (appearance fee was lost, bills & mortgage to pay etc) and as simple as that he was back in the team. Its so tough, though City must've believed the intentions were legit otherwise Facey wouldnt be there.

I'd hate to be the guy who had to choose the loans as its so so so difficult. The clubs abroad with B-teams have life vastly easier.

That was a great read as always, mate!

When it comes to Byrne and loaning kids to Dutch teams, I think one shouldn't forget the relatively poor quality of the Dutch competition and the very low average age. There are plenty of players aged 18-21 playing in the Dutch league, and many of them are pivotal for their teams. Players like Wijnaldum and Depay really stood out at an early age, and I think our loanees need to be stand-out players as well if they are ever going to be good enough for City.

Byrne, for instance, is playing for one of the bottom teams and although a starter, he's not setting the Eredivisie alight. I find it more likely hat he will go the same way as Rusnak and get a permanent transer to another Dutch team where he will be a good player albeit not a star, than for him to suddenly step it up and make it into the City squad.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:28 pm

What I would say in defence of that is that he's barely played ten games, he's in a country he doesn't know, in a naff team, and its his first ever taste of pro football. Would you expect any player, regardless of their age, to be at their best in a new country immediately? No. It's even harder for a kid.

Plus his form was showing signs of improving recently, which shows he's settling. People are far too hasty and short-sighted in how they view things in my opinion. Expecting an Irish kid who can't speak the language and doesnt know any of the players or anything to set the dutch league alight after 9 games is, in my opinion, totally unrealistic.

Edit- having looked at Cambuurs team too, he's the youngest regular. They have plenty in their mid twenties.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby mr_nool » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:37 pm

twosips wrote:What I would say in defence of that is that he's barely played ten games, he's in a country he doesn't know, in a naff team, and its his first ever taste of pro football. Would you expect any player, regardless of their age, to be at their best in a new country immediately? No. It's even harder for a kid.

Plus his form was showing signs of improving recently, which shows he's settling. People are far too hasty and short-sighted in how they view things in my opinion. Expecting an Irish kid who can't speak the language and doesnt know any of the players or anything to set the dutch league alight after 9 games is, in my opinion, totally unrealistic.

Edit- having looked at Cambuurs team too, he's the youngest regular. They have plenty in their mid twenties.

Yes, I'm being a bit harsh - I know he's been injured and is only know beginning to find his feet and his place in the team. But reality is that the bar is set incredibly high for these kids if they want to make it at City. Only a small percentage of all the players we develop will make a career with us.
I don't doubt that Byrne has a fantastic career ahead of him, but I doubt it will be with us. He should be further ahead already, I feel.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:57 pm

mr_nool wrote:
twosips wrote:What I would say in defence of that is that he's barely played ten games, he's in a country he doesn't know, in a naff team, and its his first ever taste of pro football. Would you expect any player, regardless of their age, to be at their best in a new country immediately? No. It's even harder for a kid.

Yes, I'm being a bit harsh - I know he's been injured and is only know beginning to find his feet and his place in the team. But reality is that the bar is set incredibly high for these kids if they want to make it at City. Only a small percentage of all the players we develop will make a career with us.
I don't doubt that Byrne has a fantastic career ahead of him, but I doubt it will be with us. He should be further ahead already, I feel.

My own opinion on Byrne. He has the tools, he reads the game very well and can pick a pass or play it simple, he has a good brain and is also a very good tackler. His biggest downfall is his temperament IMO. I think he will do well over there and have a chance at prem level here.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby freshie » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:21 pm

Seems like Lopes has struggled to make an impression at Monaco. If he can't cut it there would he have done much in our first team squad? I was hoping Pellers would have promoted him to the first team squad last summer

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/20 ... loan-deal/
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:21 am

Tough old game for the under 18's today against their main rivals for the league....Everton of course. In the end a deserved 1 nil win but it took a penalty won and converted by Nmecha.

I would say deserved but only just as I think Everton probably just edged the first half and only a great save by Grimshaw stopped us going behind. Everton were very well organised,quick and quite aggressive and we were caught out a bit by their approach. I reckon words were spoken at half time and we came out much better, pressing better as a team and were definitaley the better side.

Everton were still a threat on the break and another good save one on one by Grimshaw was needed but we were much more threatening. Dilrosun was excellent down the left and when Isaac Buckley came in onto the right for Nemane we were always looking like scoring. Diaz on for Patching in the middle also added to the threat although on this occasion it didn't quite happen for him.

Good to see them battle and win a table topping key match though. Adarabyio was a bit shaky at the back and I am not sure Sarmiento is a good defensive left back ( good ability going forward tho) but you couldn't complain about the committment from anyone.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby dazby » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:27 pm

Noticed any differences in the post Vieira era Doug and colleagues?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:16 pm

dazby wrote:Noticed any differences in the post Vieira era Doug and colleagues?

I think Davies has only looked after one game pre Xmas so nothing as yet but the EDS play Everton tomorrow which should be a very interesting games. Not least to see what our team is!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Crossie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:29 am

Thanks Doug, always appreciate the info coming out of these games.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum