EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby blues2win » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Barker from loan with Rotheram. Didn't work out. In a side struggling against relegation he didn't get enough game time. Hopefully he can get a more productive loan spell in the next few weeks.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Line up was :

Gunn
Horsfield, Plummer,Maffeo, Ash Smith Brown
Roberts,Celina, Patching, Glendon,Faupala
Iheanacho

I think we were the better side in the first half without really being a really dominant side. Kelechi needed game time so good to see him play but he found it very hard to get into the game and had to go looking for the ball. He did assist both the goals in the first half with a simple lay back to Celina in the D and he curled his shot into the corner.Then he took a ball well into the penalty area, held it just long enough to find Faupala with a nice short pass.

Roberts also needed a game after an injury and he had a bit of a mare. Such a talented player but somehow his decision making just isnt right at the moment and his confidence low as he just kept losing the ball. I really like him but in recent games he can't seem to do much right.I am sure he will come back.

2 nil would have been flattering at half time and their goal was probably deserved if a bit fortunate. Given for a foul by Patching as he tried to block a shot and the guy who hit it was clattered after he hit it. They also had what seemed a 1 on 1 with Gunn but somehow Maffeo got back to nick the ball of the guys toes.

Soton came out with great energy in the 2nd half and press much better and we struggled to get out. Going forward we rushed most things but were still a threat but we were under pressure and at times our defending was a bit iffy. But hold out we did and then Gunn launched an early long clearance over the top, Kelechi raced onto it and toe poked it over the onrushing keeper. A defender managed to get back to stop it going over the line but only to Roberts who scored with ease. So he finally did something right.

Good 3pts but not a great performance as confirmed by Simon Davies the new EDS head coach. And we saw a new player tonight, Erik Sarmiento. never seen him before but he came on at left back and actually was a breath of fresh air. He seemed to want to go forward when he got the ball which hadnt been happening that much from his position. No idea if he is actually any good but I did like the few minutes I saw.

Also great to see Sinan Bytyqi come on as sub after a long injury.

Now for the under 18's in the Youth Cup tomorrow. The team I think is:

Grimshaw
Duhaney, Tosin,Oliver, Davenport
Wood,Diaz,Kongolo
Nemane,Nmecha ,Dilrosun

Thanks Doug.
I'll be interested to hear an U18 report.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:40 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Line up was :

Gunn
Horsfield, Plummer,Maffeo, Ash Smith Brown
Roberts,Celina, Patching, Glendon,Faupala
Iheanacho

I think we were the better side in the first half without really being a really dominant side. Kelechi needed game time so good to see him play but he found it very hard to get into the game and had to go looking for the ball. He did assist both the goals in the first half with a simple lay back to Celina in the D and he curled his shot into the corner.Then he took a ball well into the penalty area, held it just long enough to find Faupala with a nice short pass.

Roberts also needed a game after an injury and he had a bit of a mare. Such a talented player but somehow his decision making just isnt right at the moment and his confidence low as he just kept losing the ball. I really like him but in recent games he can't seem to do much right.I am sure he will come back.

2 nil would have been flattering at half time and their goal was probably deserved if a bit fortunate. Given for a foul by Patching as he tried to block a shot and the guy who hit it was clattered after he hit it. They also had what seemed a 1 on 1 with Gunn but somehow Maffeo got back to nick the ball of the guys toes.

Soton came out with great energy in the 2nd half and press much better and we struggled to get out. Going forward we rushed most things but were still a threat but we were under pressure and at times our defending was a bit iffy. But hold out we did and then Gunn launched an early long clearance over the top, Kelechi raced onto it and toe poked it over the onrushing keeper. A defender managed to get back to stop it going over the line but only to Roberts who scored with ease. So he finally did something right.

Good 3pts but not a great performance as confirmed by Simon Davies the new EDS head coach. And we saw a new player tonight, Erik Sarmiento. never seen him before but he came on at left back and actually was a breath of fresh air. He seemed to want to go forward when he got the ball which hadnt been happening that much from his position. No idea if he is actually any good but I did like the few minutes I saw.

Also great to see Sinan Bytyqi come on as sub after a long injury.

Now for the under 18's in the Youth Cup tomorrow. The team I think is:

Grimshaw
Duhaney, Tosin,Oliver, Davenport
Wood,Diaz,Kongolo
Nemane,Nmecha ,Dilrosun

Thanks Doug.
I'll be interested to hear an U18 report.

So will I but it's not on TV so will probably have to make do with OS report
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:45 pm

http://inesteemedkompany.blogspot.co.uk ... mpton.html

My report there too. Agree with Doug overall. Horsfield, Smith-Brown and Plummer simply didnt look good enough, and most likely aren't to be honest.

Sarmiento looked nice and Spanish. I.e - very neat, but couldnt really gauge much from this cameo. Roberts was terrible sadly, hes definitely vastly better than that. He just needs lots of games somehow.

Gutted about not being able to catch the game tonight.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:02 pm

I had this in the Central Defence thread but it's more appropriate for here;
What is the story with Angelino. I loved seeing him play last year but by all accounts his displays with NY haven't been overly encouraging. I know Twosips has said he has grown. He is training with us. Is there any info on whether he'll be around after January or will he go out on loan.

Here's one probably for Twosips. Anyone who has an opinion though. What do we think in general of our loan policy. Which ones are working and which ones aren't? Is it the only way to go with the number of players we have coming through, or should we integrate more of them into the squad, quicker?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:13 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:I had this in the Central Defence thread but it's more appropriate for here;
What is the story with Angelino. I loved seeing him play last year but by all accounts his displays with NY haven't been overly encouraging. I know Twosips has said he has grown. He is training with us. Is there any info on whether he'll be around after January or will he go out on loan.

Here's one probably for Twosips. Anyone who has an opinion though. What do we think in general of our loan policy. Which ones are working and which ones aren't? Is it the only way to go with the number of players we have coming through, or should we integrate more of them into the squad, quicker?

Angelino is registered to nycfc, not sure about all the red tape but I think he is ineligible until Jan. Barker has returned from Rotherham and is immediately available.

Considering Bolton's predicament, it would be good to send a couple of lads there.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby blues2win » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 pm

City through to 4th round of Youth Cup. Beat Portsmouth 2-1. Leeds in next round. Apparently Brahim scored another cracker.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:02 pm

blues2win wrote:City through to 4th round of Youth Cup. Beat Portsmouth 2-1. Leeds in next round. Apparently Brahim scored another cracker.

gut feel says we'll see brahim in the first team next season.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
blues2win wrote:City through to 4th round of Youth Cup. Beat Portsmouth 2-1. Leeds in next round. Apparently Brahim scored another cracker.

Is that from first or second hand knowledge of they kid Nigel.
It would be nice to unearth s gem. Reports from the lads sound encouraging.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:

The lad is a talent, there is no doubt about that. That's the beauty of our academy though, we have good players ahead of him who can play like garcia, which means we are not in the Everton scenario. If manu garcia or Diaz were playing for Everton they would be fast tracked into the first team and burnt out in their late 20's. I believe we are doing things the right way. I just wish that pellers would play them if he puts them in the squad
Wonderwall

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:31 am

Never say never but I doubt Diaz will make the first team next season especially if Pellers is still manager. Like Twosips my first viewing of him was at Rhyl in the pre season against a team of man mountains and he gave signs then that he is something special.
Whenever he plays I just want to be there to watch him. I would say the same though about Jaden Sancho
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:21 pm

I can't see Brahim in the first team next season. He'll only turn 17 on August 3rd next year! Though, who knows? If Pep is around he might find the temptation of giving him his debut as a late sub in early 2017 too hard to resist, especially given the obvious Messi parallels. One can but dream... :)

I wrote this on the u18s FA Youth Cup campaign. Huge feature on all the players likely to be involved, featuring a small report (and embedded highlights) on the 2-1 result last night that kickstarted it all in the first place. Featured Brahim, Garcia, Tosin, Duhaney, Patching, Nmecha and many, many more. A small hint at the next generation too slowly emerging. The u16s such as Dele-Bashiru and Sancho...

http://inesteemedkompany.blogspot.co.uk ... lysis.html
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby nottsblue » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:26 pm

twosips wrote:I can't see Brahim in the first team next season. He'll only turn 17 on August 3rd next year! Though, who knows? If Pep is around he might find the temptation of giving him his debut as a late sub in early 2017 too hard to resist, especially given the obvious Messi parallels. One can but dream... :)

I wrote this on the u18s FA Youth Cup campaign. Huge feature on all the players likely to be involved, featuring a small report (and embedded highlights) on the 2-1 result last night that kickstarted it all in the first place. Featured Brahim, Garcia, Tosin, Duhaney, Patching, Nmecha and many, many more. A small hint at the next generation too slowly emerging. The u16s such as Dele-Bashiru and Sancho...

Lovely, informative read as always TS. Assume you still love going?
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:06 pm

twosips wrote:I can't see Brahim in the first team next season. He'll only turn 17 on August 3rd next year! Though, who knows? If Pep is around he might find the temptation of giving him his debut as a late sub in early 2017 too hard to resist, especially given the obvious Messi parallels. One can but dream... :)

A very good read, Twosips.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby twosips » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:24 pm

nottsblue wrote:

I think that proves I do ha. I find it fascinating still.

Regarding Angelino as discussed up there. He has two options in January - a loan or staying with City. If he makes a single appearance with City it means he can't go out on loan due to restrictions on the number of clubs etc. I'd personally be surprised if he would be used enough to warrant staying at the club so a loan makes sense. I'd love it if he did, as he's clearly a hard-working and technically excellent footballer capable of 'doing a job' in a number of positions for us. I think he's a little bigger, but still not massive, but he has boundless energy and he could definitely rest a few legs and help us out during games.

The loan system is horrible. It's so hit and miss and you genuinely can never tell. The idea that all players need to get experience elsewhere is, in general, bollocks IMO. Some don't need to go anywhere. Maffeo for example, even Kelechi. If Maffeo had been given thirty minutes resting Sagna on 5/6 occasions so far this season I think we'd have already realised he was an excellent, intelligent, composed defender and we'd have eventually afforded him a start. Yet we haven't, which is ridiculous. We don't always need to loan players out. Some, yes, some no.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Apologies if discussed already but does anyone have any idea why Barker's loan was cut short?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Apologies if discussed already but does anyone have any idea why Barker's loan was cut short?

Just my take on it but it seems a mutual thing. They were using him for a couple of minutes here and there, which was useless for his development. Therefore he came back.
Wonderwall

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:05 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Apologies if discussed already but does anyone have any idea why Barker's loan was cut short?

Just my take on it but it seems a mutual thing. They were using him for a couple of minutes here and there, which was useless for his development. Therefore he came back.

Cheers, I see why we'd want him back but wonder why they used him so little.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby nottsblue » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:11 pm

twosips wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

I think that proves I do ha. I find it fascinating still.

Regarding Angelino as discussed up there. He has two options in January - a loan or staying with City. If he makes a single appearance with City it means he can't go out on loan due to restrictions on the number of clubs etc. I'd personally be surprised if he would be used enough to warrant staying at the club so a loan makes sense. I'd love it if he did, as he's clearly a hard-working and technically excellent footballer capable of 'doing a job' in a number of positions for us. I think he's a little bigger, but still not massive, but he has boundless energy and he could definitely rest a few legs and help us out during games.

The loan system is horrible. It's so hit and miss and you genuinely can never tell. The idea that all players need to get experience elsewhere is, in general, bollocks IMO. Some don't need to go anywhere. Maffeo for example, even Kelechi. If Maffeo had been given thirty minutes resting Sagna on 5/6 occasions so far this season I think we'd have already realised he was an excellent, intelligent, composed defender and we'd have eventually afforded him a start. Yet we haven't, which is ridiculous. We don't always need to loan players out. Some, yes, some no.

Yeah, the loan system is a strange one. With both full backs getting on a bit, it would have have made perfect sense to integrate Maffeo in a few games to give him a taster, especially with Zabba's fitness. However, this appears to be low on Pellegrini's priorities, not just this season but in previous seasons and I don't see it improving somewhat. Maybe the next manager, whether that is next year or the year after, will promote youth a bit more. The lads will be all a little older, bigger, stronger than they are now as well.

I happen to think the introduction of Iheanacho has been handled well. It wouldn't be the right thing to throw him in at the deep end with Aguero injured as it wouldn't be fair on such young shoulders. Perhaps later in the season when Iheanacho is a more seasoned squad member we will see another young lad promoted in a similar way. I don't think we are strong enough to cope with two lads just finding their feet at the same time
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby twosips » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:49 am

twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum