EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby stevefromdonny » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:45 pm

straight to pens if draw
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby stevefromdonny » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:02 pm

out
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Not sure what the flag went up for when he saved the pen as that had happened all the way through. It wasn't as if he was a yard outside either, he was less than a foot.

Salzburg had the upper hand in the second half though so fair play, they won it the hard way.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:09 pm

poor show
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 pm

I have never been more frustrated watching one of our youth teams play. That absolutely drove me mad as we were so so bad. And then a linesman cheats us out of it in the pernalty shoot out!! No way on earth should that 4th one have been retaken.After the ball was struck Grimshaw's right foot was almost on the goal line.

However what the hell was going on in the 2nd half! Every one of our front players had an absolute mare. Couldn't control anything , couldn't lay a ball off and when you think they might help out id a defensive role at least they weren't even doing that. The last few minutes summed it all up when they looked really threatening but lost the ball and we just gave it straight back to them time after time.

Does anyone have a clue what Simon Davies plan was when he took Francis off and left us with 3 defenders? Don't think the team had either. Just a shocking shocking performance.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I have never been more frustrated watching one of our youth teams play. That absolutely drove me mad as we were so so bad. And then a linesman cheats us out of it in the pernalty shoot out!! No way on earth should that 4th one have been retaken.After the ball was struck Grimshaw's right foot was almost on the goal line.

However what the hell was going on in the 2nd half! Every one of our front players had an absolute mare. Couldn't control anything , couldn't lay a ball off and when you think they might help out id a defensive role at least they weren't even doing that. The last few minutes summed it all up when they looked really threatening but lost the ball and we just gave it straight back to them time after time.

Does anyone have a clue what Simon Davies plan was when he took Francis off and left us with 3 defenders? Don't think the team had either. Just a shocking shocking performance.

There you have it.
I'd call that a mixture of at least 5 or 6 of ours having a really bad day at the office, aided and abetted by the fact that we did not seem to have any team structure.

We played like a bunch of individuals, some doing better than others but all losing out to a better team with a stronger more organised and skilful collective.

Salzburg deserved the win but Grimshaw deserved better than that call by the linesman.

I thought the officiating in general was pretty poor.

The thing I find most frustrating with watching the youth teams on general Doug, is even in the 18's who are brilliant to watch, I sometimes struggle to see any sort of defending coached into them.

It was particularly bad today. I wouldn't suggest that the individuals are bad footballers but I see it being very difficult for us to produce any decent defenders for the first team if we don't teach them how to actually defend as a group and how to game manage particularly when under the cosh.

That was a mess today. There was no cohesion at all today and I think some of our players that you would expect to have more poise looked lost and aimless and their touch and decision making was way off.

Sounds very harsh, but we weren't good.
I think the management team needs to take a good look at themselves.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:51 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:Man City AcademyVerified account
‏@ManCityAcademy

Follow
More
#UYL XI v @RedBullSalzburg: Grimshaw, Duhaney, Humphreys, Adarabioyo, Francis, Diallo, Diaz, Kongolo, Nmecha, Fernandes, Sancho #mcfc

I think that's a strong lineup.
C'mon City.

I've always had hopes that the Humphries/Adarabioyo partnership, in central defence, would mature and be able to continue into the first team, to constitute our centre back pairing for ten years, or more.

Not on this showing they won't.

I haven't seen the game NB, but were these two particularly bad and is it a case of "back to the drawing board" or, after reading the other posts in this thread, was it a case of all the team being collectively poor and everyone having an off day ??

Edit Just seen IWT's post which seems to sum everything up.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:54 pm

One question :- does anyone know if Pep was in attendance and scrutinising matters ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby nottsblue » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
‏@ManCityAcademy

Follow
More
#UYL XI v @RedBullSalzburg: Grimshaw, Duhaney, Humphreys, Adarabioyo, Francis, Diallo, Diaz, Kongolo, Nmecha, Fernandes, Sancho #mcfc

C'mon City.

I've always had hopes that the Humphries/Adarabioyo partnership, in central defence, would mature and be able to continue into the first team, to constitute our centre back pairing for ten years, or more.

I haven't seen the game NB, but were these two particularly bad and is it a case of "back to the drawing board" or, after reading the other posts in this thread, was it a case of all the team being collectively poor and everyone having an off day ??

Don't see many of the games so it would be unfair to pass judgement as a whole, but the ball retention and passing by the defence as a unit was shocking. But the midfield also gave the ball away like it was a hot potato which further exacerbated the pressure on the defence.

A bright spot was the goalie
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:18 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
‏@ManCityAcademy

Follow
More

C'mon City.

Don't see many of the games so it would be unfair to pass judgement as a whole, but the ball retention and passing by the defence as a unit was shocking. But the midfield also gave the ball away like it was a hot potato which further exacerbated the pressure on the defence.

A bright spot was the goalie

Does this mean Caballero has cause for concern ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:29 pm

I thought Grimshaw was very good, but unless he grows I can't see him having the stature necessary for a premiership keeper.

Just my opinion.
It's my biggest gripe about Bravo.
Apart from the fact that he can't dive. He's just too small.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:08 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:I thought Grimshaw was very good, but unless he grows I can't see him having the stature necessary for a premiership keeper.

Just my opinion.
It's my biggest gripe about Bravo.
Apart from the fact that he can't dive. He's just too small.

I have said it in this thread in the past. Grimshaws distribution is as good as you will see from a keeper. If that's what Pep has in his vision then he won't find much better. Good shot stopper too, however, I agree, he isn't very big.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:37 pm

A win today away at Stoke and we have won the north title with 2 games to spare and still unbeaten for the season. Awesome effort from the team and today it was without Sancho,Foden,Francis,Latibeaudiere all with the England squad.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:12 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:A win today away at Stoke and we have won the north title with 2 games to spare and still unbeaten for the season. Awesome effort from the team and today it was without Sancho,Foden,Francis,Latibeaudiere all with the England squad.

Well done to the boys. From this years reports it sounds well deserved
nottsblue

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Under 23s 1-0 up at home to Colchester
nottsblue

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:53 pm

2-0 at half time
nottsblue

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:45 pm

3-0. Good solid win it appears
nottsblue

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Final home game of the Northern section for the 18's today with the prospect of being handed the trophy and medals at the end of the game. Strange scenarion as the EDS were playing at Chelsea at the same time in London and using a bunch of the regular 18's in their team.

But despite a "weakened " side it was business as usual and they basically strolled past a poor Middlesboro. I thought it might be a bit of a contest as Scott needed to make a good save but when Hardy broke past the right back to score it changed to one way traffic. The 2nd goal was a gem with Foden scoring after a great 1,2 with Bolton and then just before half time Bolton set one up for Gonzalez to score at the near post.

Latibeadierre didn't come out for the 2nd half and Foden didn't stay on long so it was a coast to victory in the end and with a few great chances missed. One more game to go with the league already won and I expect a stronger team for that Liverpool game and the next phase when the leading southern section teams are involved.

I hear today that Chelsea , like City have already won their league, won 13 nil today!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:06 pm

our u23s beat Chelsea away 3-4 to go second in the league, that's good.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:19 pm

johnny crossan wrote:our u23s beat Chelsea away 3-4 to go second in the league, that's good.

That's excellent. Great to beat a Chelsea youth side at anytime. If I am not mistaken it's the 2nd time we have beaten them 4.3 with a hat trick from Brahim Diaz! ( last time probably an U 18's side)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum