EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:00 pm

Tough game against Arsenal but I think that's how its going to be in this league. We are playing what was last year's under 18's in an under 23 league. We are not playing what would be even close to our best team for this age group.

Consider:
Gunn, Maffeo,Tosin, Bryan,Angelino
Garcia,Celina,Zinchenko,Brahim,Barker
Ambrose

None of them were playing tonight but that's one formidable team just there and there are others like Iheanacho and more I have included.

Anyway tonight in the first half I thought we were pretty good and deserved the lead and what a great goal it was. Nemene down the right had been a threat with his pace and aggressive running. This time he battled hard against the full back who was trying everything to stop him but he broke free and his pass across the box was swept home by Kongolo. Class goal.

2nd half and Arsenal came out with a bit more intensity I thought and we seemed to be just off the pace.Arsenal could have scored more than once but a couple of great last ditch tackles from Marcus Wood plus a shot onto a post saved the day. More composure in the final third and we could easily have scored on a few good breakaways but it wasn't to be and we hung on a bit for the win.

Pretty good for such a young team to be able to that after coming from behind in the previous game v Derby. Not a bad first two games and that after winning that tourney in Germany. Lost of improvement needed but it's a big learning year for the lads and I am looking forward to watching much much more of it.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:19 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Tough game against Arsenal but I think that's how its going to be in this league. We are playing what was last year's under 18's in an under 23 league. We are not playing what would be even close to our best team for this age group.

Consider:
Gunn, Maffeo,Tosin, Bryan,Angelino
Ambrose

None of them were playing tonight but that's one formidable team just there and there are others like Iheanacho and more I have included.

Anyway tonight in the first half I thought we were pretty good and deserved the lead and what a great goal it was. Nemene down the right had been a threat with his pace and aggressive running. This time he battled hard against the full back who was trying everything to stop him but he broke free and his pass across the box was swept home by Kongolo. Class goal.

2nd half and Arsenal came out with a bit more intensity I thought and we seemed to be just off the pace.Arsenal could have scored more than once but a couple of great last ditch tackles from Marcus Wood plus a shot onto a post saved the day. More composure in the final third and we could easily have scored on a few good breakaways but it wasn't to be and we hung on a bit for the win.

Pretty good for such a young team to be able to that after coming from behind in the previous game v Derby. Not a bad first two games and that after winning that tourney in Germany. Lost of improvement needed but it's a big learning year for the lads and I am looking forward to watching much much more of it.

Thanks Mr H.

I enjoyed reading that.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Justified logic » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:01 pm

A good read. I looked on the OS for the team but couldn't find anything about EDS results, not even anything about the previous game. Mind you the site is shit and I gave up pretty soon.

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Gunn, Maffeo,Tosin, Bryan,Angelino
Ambrose

What will those not on loan be doing for game time this season?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:22 pm

Good question and I don't know the answer and we won't know till the transfer window closes. It's ludicrous to think that someone like Gunn won't play either first team or under 23's but it just might be that he and others like him will stay firmly as part of the first team squad till September.Then it's either a loan or they simply must get game time in the 23's.

Good to hear the under 18's got an away win at Everton which is a tough place to go at any time. 3.1 with 2 late goals from us and one for Everton. Sancho scoring again. Must find out more abot this one.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:27 am

Anus Anal with a first half hat trick for Twente today. Only half time as well, all very good goals indeed
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Sensational hat trick
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Apparently Yaw Yeboah, also on loan from City, was playing as well.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Seems like Zinchenko's spot in the CL squad relies on Yaya vacating the premises with the rest, a loan is rumoured though -he's a full international like Sane - a pity if he joins Moreno and Jesus on the ex pat list
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PrezIke » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:32 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Sensational hat trick

I commented on him in another thread, but seems he should get his chance now as seems Twente seems to have struggled to score in their first two games of the season (losing both). Was given his first start after coming on as a sub in the 2nd game, and was an unused substitute in the 1st.

Looking forward to seeing his development.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby nottsblue » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Justified logic wrote:A good read. I looked on the OS for the team but couldn't find anything about EDS results, not even anything about the previous game. Mind you the site is shit and I gave up pretty soon.

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Gunn, Maffeo,Tosin, Bryan,Angelino
Ambrose

What will those not on loan be doing for game time this season?

That has the potential to be some side
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Seems like Zinchenko's spot in the CL squad relies on Yaya vacating the premises with the rest, a loan is rumoured though -he's a full international like Sane - a pity if he joins Moreno and Jesus on the ex pat list

looks like hes off to PSV for a season loan.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Any of the southern based posters, City are playing Reading on Friday 19:00, at the Madjeski, FREE ENTRY (not that would be a deciding factor).

If you're in London it's 24 minutes on train from paddington...... not sure about buses out to stadium though can only find info for first team match days
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Bersant Celina has gone on a season long loan to FC Twente (tweeted by himself)
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:08 pm

CTID Hants wrote:Any of the southern based posters, City are playing Reading on Friday 19:00, at the Madjeski, FREE ENTRY (not that would be a deciding factor).

If you're in London it's 24 minutes on train from paddington...... not sure about buses out to stadium though can only find info for first team match days

3-0 down and not yet half time.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:28 pm

nottsblue wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:Any of the southern based posters, City are playing Reading on Friday 19:00, at the Madjeski, FREE ENTRY (not that would be a deciding factor).

3-0 down and not yet half time.

Readings first was cracking free kick and then triple save by their keeper. Second half so far has been all us with couple more great saves from their keeper again
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Fernandes gets one back, he's a bit of a terrier
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:36 pm

I know we are fielding a very young side in this competition and I would expect some struggles but it is a bit worrying that we have been awful in the first half of the first two away games. 2 nil down at derby but we still won and 3 nil down tonight and we nearly got a draw.

Is this because we are such a young side or could there be a problem with the manager not sending the team out right? I did think the starting line up seemed overly attacking with a front 3 and Brahim and Fernandez behind them. Simon Davies just doesnt give me any confidence at all. Maybe it's all part of the plan
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:12 pm

We certainly looked toothless in final third in the first half but much better when 15 & 16 came on (sorry not familiar with the squad to say who they were and tannoy wasn't overly loud). Fernandez appeared to be doing a lot defensively in first half but that changed to with the subs. Second half he was a lot more creative going forward.

O'Brien? The keeper certainly has a set of lungs on him, constantly barking orders (louder than the aforementioned tannoy!) Hoping to catch them again when they play chelski.

If only they'd come out the blocks first half it would have a very least a draw rather than 3-2.

Talking to a guy at half time said Reading were a different side this year, said they were talking to each other a lot more working as a unit, something rarely heard this evening by ours except O'Brien of course.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:35 am

Here are the lines ups Ian. 15 and 16 are Diallo and Buckley. I haven't seen anything of Diallo so can't comment.

Strange to see davenport not getting a start as he was my POTY last season.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:46 am

Buckley for me is a good attacking right sided player.He does get played as a center forward at times and in the first two games has alternated with Nmecha in that role. Sounds like last night Nmecha got the start and Buckley game on 2nd half but probably not to replace him.

Diallo is a bit of a beast in a central midfield role and if Davenport doesn't play I would expect him to be the replacement and sit in the holding role. Not surprised he came on 2nd half to help shore things up. I was surprised Kongolo was given the holding role rather than Davenport as for me he is much more the box to box midfielder.

All part of the learning for the team I guess.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum