EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:45 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:
blues2win wrote:Another great little video of Brahim. Ridiculous to say he reminds me of a young Messi but he reminds me of a young Messi!

https://twitter.com/esteemedkompany/sta ... 1027207168

Best thing to come from our academy in recent times?? how does he compare to the rest?

barton was miles better.

haha, Brahim is a talent and what a joy to watch. You can all see him on friday for the 1st leg of the final. Not sure about you though Tokyo? I think for those wanting to watch on TV its on ITV4? Can you get that via VPN?

We are blessed with talent, especially in the midfield. Lopes was a good prospect but £9m was an offer we couldn't refuse, then we have the two Garcias, both excellent talents, but Brahim is the one to watch. The others around the midfield are more direct and less flair than these fellas, however, I want to see Kean Bryan given a shot, I am amaze he has not gone on loan to a championship club as he always looks excellent when he plays.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:56 pm

It's not easy to assess who is the best talent within the academy. The real test of the young lads is when they play at the higher levels and really the first team. Would it be the one who scores the most goals , or is the best passer of the ball or what?

Brandon Barker is an interesting one to consider. A year or 18 months ago his name was on everyone's lips as he put in some amazing performances. He was skinning full backs with skill and real pace and setting up and scoring goals and it seemed obvious he would get a look at the first team and " make it". Now it's all calmed down about him after an unsuccessful loan to Rotherham where I think he was messed about a bit but also I fear he didn't make the most of the chance even though in game one he started so well. He is back with us and still one of the better players in the EDS but the headlines are not there although he did have a special game away at Liverpool not long ago.

Brandon for me does have the talent to make it but I worry that there is a key ingredient missing which might mean he doesnt succeed at the top level , the City level as we are now.

Then look at Brahim Diaz. Such a wonderful talent and worth going to watch our 18's team just for him. He doesn't always have great games and he makes wrong decisions in the games but when he gets on the ball you definitely get on the edge of your seat in anticipation. When he gets the ball like in that short video and runs at defences it's just a fantastic sight. That one came to nothing as he got the final decision wrong I think but not long ago against Chelsea he got it all right and left players on the ground as he scored his goal. He was unreal in the second half of that game when we came from 3.1 down to win 4.3.

Compared to Brandon he does have more trickery in his game but I think he has that extra something which is a big heart. He doesnt give up. Great energy and determination and can be a threat to the opposition when they have the ball as he has a habit of nicking it off them. He takes stick but gets up and goes again. I do think he stands out and would be the best I have seen coming through but make no mistake there are a lot of others shining at the moment.

I think WW has one in Kean Bryan. Totally different of course to Diaz as he plays either center back or defensive midfield and I am also surprised he hasnt had a look in on the bench for the first team or gone on loan somewhere. That might be down to getting injuries at bad times but he is one to look out for. We have had others in central midfield like Ntcham , Byrne ( doing very well in Holland) Evans (now at Reading) Fofana but I have a feel that Bryan could make it with us.

Then we have some more of the current under 18's and the 16's who are ripping teams apart week after week. Included in there is Jadon Sancho another wizard of a player on the ball and like Diaz can run at teams and just kill them. Also with an eye for goals so the test for him was I see it will be as he steps up to see if he has the heart for the man's game when the going starts to get tough.

I suggest you all get along to as many of the youth team games as you can cos the future is wonderfully bright and blue.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ruralblue » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:28 am

[*]
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:It's not easy to assess who is the best talent within the academy. The real test of the young lads is when they play at the higher levels and really the first team. Would it be the one who scores the most goals , or is the best passer of the ball or what?

Brandon Barker is an interesting one to consider. A year or 18 months ago his name was on everyone's lips as he put in some amazing performances. He was skinning full backs with skill and real pace and setting up and scoring goals and it seemed obvious he would get a look at the first team and " make it". Now it's all calmed down about him after an unsuccessful loan to Rotherham where I think he was messed about a bit but also I fear he didn't make the most of the chance even though in game one he started so well. He is back with us and still one of the better players in the EDS but the headlines are not there although he did have a special game away at Liverpool not long ago.

Brandon for me does have the talent to make it but I worry that there is a key ingredient missing which might mean he doesnt succeed at the top level , the City level as we are now.

Then look at Brahim Diaz. Such a wonderful talent and worth going to watch our 18's team just for him. He doesn't always have great games and he makes wrong decisions in the games but when he gets on the ball you definitely get on the edge of your seat in anticipation. When he gets the ball like in that short video and runs at defences it's just a fantastic sight. That one came to nothing as he got the final decision wrong I think but not long ago against Chelsea he got it all right and left players on the ground as he scored his goal. He was unreal in the second half of that game when we came from 3.1 down to win 4.3.

Compared to Brandon he does have more trickery in his game but I think he has that extra something which is a big heart. He doesnt give up. Great energy and determination and can be a threat to the opposition when they have the ball as he has a habit of nicking it off them. He takes stick but gets up and goes again. I do think he stands out and would be the best I have seen coming through but make no mistake there are a lot of others shining at the moment.

I think WW has one in Kean Bryan. Totally different of course to Diaz as he plays either center back or defensive midfield and I am also surprised he hasnt had a look in on the bench for the first team or gone on loan somewhere. That might be down to getting injuries at bad times but he is one to look out for. We have had others in central midfield like Ntcham , Byrne ( doing very well in Holland) Evans (now at Reading) Fofana but I have a feel that Bryan could make it with us.

Then we have some more of the current under 18's and the 16's who are ripping teams apart week after week. Included in there is Jadon Sancho another wizard of a player on the ball and like Diaz can run at teams and just kill them. Also with an eye for goals so the test for him was I see it will be as he steps up to see if he has the heart for the man's game when the going starts to get tough.

I suggest you all get along to as many of the youth team games as you can cos the future is wonderfully bright and blue.

Really muss the training reports Douglas but insights like this are great!!!!! Thanks man.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:42 am

ruralblue wrote:[*]
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:It's not easy to assess who is the best talent within the academy. The real test of the young lads is when they play at the higher levels and really the first team. Would it be the one who scores the most goals , or is the best passer of the ball or what?

Really muss the training reports Douglas but insights like this are great!!!!! Thanks man.

Agree with that Rural. They were the reason I first looked in on the forum.

I'm pinning my hopes on the current crop of U16's.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby blues2win » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Ditto Thanks Doug. You provide fantastic insights. Brahim probably needs another season but I'd be amazed if he doesn't make it in a top League somewhere in the future. Hopefully it'll be with City.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:24 am

Brahim Diaz to go on this year's pre season tour! I hope so so watch this space.

Anyone heard of Bobby Duncan? Just tweeted something about scoring his 50th goal this season and still counting. Bit Aguero like is size/stature but sounds like another great prospect for the future. Still only 14 but I think has been involved with our all conquering under 16's ( not 100% sure about that) We got him from Wigan a few years back. Maybe a star of the future and also maybe difficult for us to hold onto as he is Steve Gerard's cousin!

Anyone got more info!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Cocacolajojo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Brahim Diaz to go on this year's pre season tour! I hope so so watch this space.

Anyone heard of Bobby Duncan? Just tweeted something about scoring his 50th goal this season and still counting. Bit Aguero like is size/stature but sounds like another great prospect for the future. Still only 14 but I think has been involved with our all conquering under 16's ( not 100% sure about that) We got him from Wigan a few years back. Maybe a star of the future and also maybe difficult for us to hold onto as he is Steve Gerard's cousin!

Anyone got more info!

I swear if it weren't for you doug this site would be a lot more depressing
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Brahim Diaz to go on this year's pre season tour! I hope so so watch this space.

Anyone got more info!

Just need TwoSips to come back but he's working hard now with BlueMoon Rising TV
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby mr_nool » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

Anyone got more info!

Just need TwoSips to come back but he's working hard now with BlueMoon Rising TV

I didn't really get why he started focusing on Twitter instead of this forum, but he's now got 4,500 followers and reaches a much larger audience than he would on here.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ruralblue » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:39 am

Is tonights game on tv? If so are both legs?

Cheers
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:47 am

ruralblue wrote:Is tonights game on tv? If so are both legs?

Cheers

ITV4 7.30 - 22:00 - Yes both legs are being shown
Wonderwall

Postby blues2win » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:39 am

Another short video of Brahim. In action tonight.

https://twitter.com/br_uk/status/723453522570702851
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:24 pm

Nice article from James Ducker in the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... mind-blow/
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby nottsblue » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Nice article from James Ducker in the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... mind-blow/

Cream always rises and City are swimming in it. Great end to a good article
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Under 18's today v Blackburn. No Brahim Diaz today (rested or away with Spain) but that just meant Jadon Sancho started instead and what a joy he is to watch.The boy oozes talent and confidence and how City didn't win this game by at least 5 ( it could have been 10!) is down to a mixture of poor finishing but also an excellent performance by their keeper.

City were excellent apart from not scoring enough and tore holes in BBurn time and time again. Sancho has the ability with the ball at his feet to almost dare the defender to tackle him and be able to move it just in time. It has the feel of Neymar about him as he glides around with the ball.There were a couple of times where he stopped a dfeender in fron of him , danced about a bit threatening to go past him on either side and then suddenly he's gone leaving a bewlidered defender.

His first goal was special in a way. He was in the inside left position inside the box and jinking around with defenders frightened to tackle him. He finally moved the ball to his right and looked like he would curl it into the right post but his shot went low to the keepers rights. The keeper was totally wrong footed and even though the shot was mishit he couldnt get enough of a hand on it.

As I said I enjoyed watching him today but the whole team played well. Special mentions should also go to Jacob Davenport who would have been my man of the match which just shows how good he must have been. Just superb today but also Tom Dele-Bashire another who is also only 16 but looks a serious player in the midfield.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 04, 2016 11:04 am

U16s won last night and have gone the season unbeaten
U18s drew 4-4 with Everton and have been crowned national champions
U21s played Bolton in the Manchester cup and went through 4-3 on penalties after drawing the game 2-2
Wonderwall

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 04, 2016 11:27 am

Wonderwall wrote:U16s won last night and have gone the season unbeaten
U21s played Bolton in the Manchester cup and went through 4-3 on penalties after drawing the game 2-2

Did the under 16s win the league as well?
nottsblue

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 04, 2016 11:45 am

nottsblue wrote:

I am pretty sure we have at all levels. However, they don't publish leagues. The FA are going continental and trying to push the notion that the result and league places do not matter as it's about player development.

They follow this type of setup in Spain
Wonderwall

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

I am pretty sure we have at all levels. However, they don't publish leagues. The FA are going continental and trying to push the notion that the result and league places do not matter as it's about player development.

What a croc of shit. The sooner lads realise winning is a habit the better.
nottsblue

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed May 04, 2016 2:28 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

What a croc of shit. The sooner lads realise winning is a habit the better.

I don't think there is even a league for the under 16's but suffice to say we would have won it with an extraordinary goal difference. Can't wait for next season as lads step up the age groups.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum