Manu Garcia Interview

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Manu Garcia Interview

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:37 pm

Just found this ont net.

For those who don't know, I'm sure Doug & others will back me up, that this lad is potentially a special talent amongst special talents.

Seems like a nice lad & wants to play in the Prem for City, so doesn't have an ambition to fuck off to Barca etc:

http://www.viewfromablue.com/2015/01/14 ... s-academy/

Interview: Manu Garcia Talks About Life at City’s Academy

14 Jan

This interview was first published in Spanish by Ignacio Lynch for Manchester City LatinoAmerica and it is with their kind permission that I have translated and posted it here.

Manu García Alonso, the young Spaniard who plays for Manchester City’s U18s has granted us an interview. In it, we touch on various topics including his adaptation to life in England, his plans for the future, growing up in his native Oviedo, the project at City, the new City Football Academy and much, much more.

The former Sporting de Gijón player was very friendly and open to answering our questions, so we thank Manu for that, and we hope to see him in the first team soon.

Ignacio: Hi Manu, first of all thanks for agreeing to this interview. How are you finding life in the U18s at City?

Manu: It’s going very well, I’m enjoying lots of playing time and playing well in the last few games. I can’t wait for the season to carry on and for more big games to come around.

I: You were born in Oviedo, Spain in January 1998. Tell us about your home city.

M: It’s a city that I love. It’s quite small compared to other Spanish cities and everything is close by. The centre of the city is spectacular and it’s the place where I want to end up living.

I: Was your adaptation to Manchester difficult? What do you miss the most about Oviedo?

M: The first few months were difficult because I didn’t speak much English and everything was new. Whether you like or not, when you arrive at a club of this size, there is always extra pressure. What I miss the most are my family and friends … and the food my parents used to make!

I: You came to England when you were just 15. Was it hard? Are your family with you in Manchester?

M: As I said, the first few months were quite hard, everything was totally new for me, especially being that I was here alone without my family.

I: You left Sporting de Gijón to join City and rejected clubs such as Barcelona and Real Madrid. Why did you choose City?

M: I have always loved the Premier League and the opportunity to play for a club that is growing is this huge way and with such immense plans for the future was something that really grabbed my attention. The truth is that it was a hard decision because I felt very at home at Sporting de Gijón.

I: In Spain, which club do you support?

M: Sporting de Gijón.

I: What can you tell us about the new City Football Academy?

M: It’s an incredible place … it breathes an environment of football and excitement. It makes everyone feel closer to the first team and it makes you realise that you’re not that far away.

I: You were involved with Spain U16s. I imagine that with two world champions in Jesus Navas and David Silva in the City squad that you dream of winning trophies as well with the national team?

M: To tell you the truth, it’s an honour to represent my country. I hope I can carry on doing it.

I: How would you describe yourself as a player? I’ve heard that you shine with your ability in the final third.

M: I would define myself as a creative player who likes to be on the ball. I like to score but my objective is always to provide for a teammate. I like to link up with others in the final third.

I: If you had to compare yourself with any player, who would it be?

M: I think that’s very difficult for me to say. You’d have to ask people who have watched me play a lot!

I: Who is your role model in football? And is there anyone in the first team who you look up to?

M: I’ve always paid close attention to Zidane, Iniesta, Xavi … as for the first team, I’d look up to David Silva. He’s an exceptional and special player. You never know what he’s going to do and when he gets the ball, time stops.

I: Looking at José Angel Pozo, a fellow young Spaniard with a similar background to yours, does what has happened to him encourage you even more to break into the first team? Another of your teammates, Bersant Celina, was in the squad against Sheffield Wednesday. Do you see that breakthrough as something possible?

M: Seeing teammates like that pair involved in the squad with the first team makes us realise, not just me, that the path is difficult but not impossible. It inspires us and makes us even more determined than before.

I: In what way do you think you have improved as a player since joining City? And what area do you think you need to work more on?

M: I think the way that I use my body has improved a lot. To play with and against older players means that you have to use your body better to be able to have the ball. I’ve also improved a huge amount defensively, but that’s what I have to carry on improving.

I: Have you observed a project at the club? Do Manuel Pellegrini and Jason Wilcox, your current manager, work together?

M: Yes, I notice it and I’ll carry on doing so. It’s incredible to see your teammates get in to the first team. That makes you understand that great work is being done.

I: That’s everything from me. Manchester City is not just popular in England, but also in Latinoamerica where a mountain of people follow the club. Do you have a message for them?

M: Just to say thank you for all the support for this great club. I’m sure the club will bring you much happiness in the not too distant future.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: Manu Garcia Interview

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:40 pm

needs to change his name to mancity
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Great work Ted, nice read, and goof luck to the lad, Oviedo is stunning BTW.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby blues2win » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Notice he mentioned that the new Academy makes them all feel closer to the first team squad.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby dazby » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Not the greatest of interviews but good luck to the lad.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby twosips » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:53 pm

We've got some serious talent in our youth set up yet this guy is arguably the best of the lot. Isco-esque at times
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:30 pm

"a special talent amongst special talents." I tend to agree with Ted even though I haven't really seen enough of him yet.

He has only just turned 17 and is playing for the under 18's regularly and came on as a sub in the last 2 youth cup games. If I compared him to anyone it would be Silva as he seems confident and comfortable on the ball.His touch is quality and he moves very well with the ball plus he sees passes and has the ability to make those passes.

Not surprising he himself mentions the issues of defensive work and the use of his body as he plays at a more senior level.Both important and part of the learning just as it was for Silva and I have no doubt that he will sort those issues out.Even last night I felt I could see he had grown upwards and looked a little stronger.

Bersant Celina though is 19 months older and a similar player !!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dronny » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:11 pm

I’d look up to David Silva. He’s an exceptional and special player. You never know what he’s going to do and when he gets the ball, time stops.......

What a great and very apt quote to describe Dave
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Return to The Maine Football forum