Puskas Award 2014 best Goal.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Puskas Award 2014 best Goal.

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:01 pm

I purposely didn't start this thread until after the results.
Rodriguez's goal is a very worthy winner in my opinion. What I was wondering though was how many of you think that Stephanie Roche's goal was there on merit.
I personally am delighted for the girl. I think it was a cracker of a goal and didn't appreciate it as much when I watched it first time. I think the quality of the footage has been enhanced since my first viewing on Youtube.
There is no doubt that if it wasn't for the campaign launched in Ireland to get people to vote for her, she would never have got a sniff near these awards in Zurich.
But then again, I'm sure the same kind of campaigning goes on for the other much more high profile candidates. It shows the power of social media these days.
I myself was going to post on here asking would people vote for her, but thought better of it.
The goal was scored in front of a crowd of just 95 people at Wexford's Ferrycarrig Park, but over six million fans viewed the goal on YouTube and sparked hopes that Roche could become the first woman to claim the coveted award.
I suppose it's not like scoring in the World Cup but it was a terrific bit of skill none the less and she did beat Van Persie to second spot.
Well done Steph.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Re: Puskas Award 2014 best Goal.

Postby Sister of fu » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:11 pm

An amazing goal at what ever level you play. If Messi scores that it would be played over and over and over. You have to have some level of technical ability to pull something off like that whether you are a man or women. Its a once in a lifetime goal and she is very lucky that it was captured on film.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:11 pm

It's a better goal than the one which won.

Never even remembered that Rodgiguez one until now tbh. Shearer used to do that once a month.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:24 pm

I dont want to sexist here, because I'm not. I'm fully behind City women and their adventures.

But there are 100s of good goals at all levels every weekend, and I think combining these 2 levels (men and women) is on the verge of ludicrous - would she have scored that against the same oppo as the winner?

Furthermore I've never really been a fan of the big Justin Fashanu-style hoik getting goal-of-the-whatever. We all know that the other 100 times it will go well into the crowd - I've even scored those myself. It's the goals which show some Kinkladze/Henry-style skill that should win every time
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby twosips » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:30 pm

The Roche goal was incredible skill regardless of gender. Yes, that'd have gone in against a bloke.

Reminds me of an absolutely wonderful goal Henry once scored in a preseason friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NryZDUog2Y

Cos it was a friendly it was ignored but its majestic. Much, much better than Rodriguez's very standard long range goal.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:39 pm

You'll never guess who I once saw, 'almost' score an identical goal to the one Roche scored..

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:You'll never guess who I once saw, 'almost' score an identical goal to the one Roche scored..

Lescott?
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:51 pm

john@staustell wrote:I dont want to sexist here, because I'm not. I'm fully behind City women and their adventures.

But there are 100s of good goals at all levels every weekend, and I think combining these 2 levels (men and women) is on the verge of ludicrous - would she have scored that against the same oppo as the winner?

Furthermore I've never really been a fan of the big Justin Fashanu-style hoik getting goal-of-the-whatever. We all know that the other 100 times it will go well into the crowd - I've even scored those myself. It's the goals which show some Kinkladze/Henry-style skill that should win every time

Certainly the point I was trying to make, or gauge opinion on, was nothing to do with the gender of the person scoring. That was some piece of skill by anybody's standards. I was kind of hoping against hopes that she would win, but knew in my heart and soul that she wouldn't. I just think it is remarkable that they managed to get the goal as far as it got, through the power of a social media campaign. I voted for it myself.
Two arguments here as far as I can see.
1. Does the standard of football league game being played matter? (nothing to do with gender) and
2. If it had been some low league game of similar standard in a male league, would it have got as far.(definitely gender related)
I would like to think that people didn't vote for her just because she was female and trying to prove a point. I know a lot of people over here voted because she is Irish and not because she is female. That in itself is a bias, but like I said originally, I'm sure every candidate has their own campaign behind them.
I never thought she would win regardless. I didn't think she'd be allowed to win, because of the profile of the award and sponsors etc. but I could be doing FIFA an injustice.
No matter. I think the goal was a good one, on it's own merit.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:You'll never guess who I once saw, 'almost' score an identical goal to the one Roche scored..

Lescott?

Ched Evans.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:08 pm

https://img.rasset.ie/000a0284-642.jpg

Great picture here of her, for her family album. Ronaldo having a good look.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby s1ty m » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:34 pm

I thought the two we scored in 3 minutes at Wembley were among the best goals. No mention.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby sheblue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:50 pm

s1ty m wrote:I thought the two we scored in 3 minutes at Wembley were among the best goals. No mention.

if a MCFC player headed a goal from his own 6 yard box, there still wouldn't be a mention.
But seriously she should have won it.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:52 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

Lescott?

Ched Evans.

That's a let-down, Ted.

I thought you were going to say Savic.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Green & Blue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Best goal of the lot and I'm not saying that just because I'm Irish.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:44 pm

When I watched them all the way through I thought Roche's goal should win it. It was the one goal where I thought, "I wish I'd scored that".
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Wooders » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Would have been nice if she won it seeing as it was the best goal and all that
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Green & Blue wrote:Best goal of the lot and I'm not saying that just because I'm Irish.

Agree it was the best of the three, but the question is, if she wasn't Irish would you have voted at all.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:36 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

Lescott?

Ched Evans.

Wow! And I mean wow!
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:39 pm

To be honest, I thought Mr Persie's goal (and piece of skill) was the kind of goal that you rarely see anywhere these days. Sublime.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:To be honest, I thought Mr Persie's goal (and piece of skill) was the kind of goal that you rarely see anywhere these days. Sublime.

Yes. But he's a dick.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum