Asian Cup PREVIEW

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Asian Cup PREVIEW

Postby bobby brows » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:58 pm

It’s a testament to how global the game has become that our nations press has actually taken the time to mention the 16th edition of the AFC Asian Cup. Admittedly, they’ve often referred to it as the African Cup of Nations but this has the potential to be one of the biggest tournaments in a long time and a pre-cursor to an eventual Australian World Cup.

Yes, that’s right Australia are the Asian hosts as they moved Football Federations to increase the strength of opposition they would face and leaving Western Samoa to breathe a sigh of relief at the prospect of never having to face them competitively again.

Australia make interesting hosts, as the only bidders for the tournament, and as we’ve seen on BT Sport in this country the Hyundai A-League (who bizarrely follow me on twitter) is often played in front of packed European style crowds generating an atmosphere that most English grounds can only dream about now.

The tournament will be hosted in five stadiums in five different cities with Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne and Newcastle on hosting duties.

Qualifying for this tournament is one of the most convoluted with five places in the tournament reserved before qualifying even begins. The best three finishes in the 2011 tournament and the winners of the last two AFC Challenge Cup’s* qualify with the hosts automatically leaving 20 teams to qualify for 11 places.

*The AFC Challenge Cup is a tournament for ‘emerging nations’ that do not compete in the main qualifying competition for the Asian Cup

Group A

Australia

Qualified: As Hosts
Coach: Ange Postecoglu
Best: Runners-up (2011)

Australia enter the tournament with one win in the last 10 as expectation to go one better than last time and lift the trophy has slipped after a disappointing World Cup but home advantage will be crucial. The hosts have been trying to replace their golden generation but still rely on Tim Cahill for inspiration. Australia’s sides doesn’t have the household names of yesteryear but Aston Villa’s Chris Herd, Crystal Palace’s Miles Jedinak and Former City trialist Mark Bresciano will be familiar-ish names to people.

Key Player: Miles Jedinak (Crystal Palace)

Kuwait

Qualified: Group B winners
Coach: Nabil Maaoul (Tunisia)
Best: Winners (1980)

Warm up for this competition was mixed at best as they won, drew and lost on at the Gulf Cup of Nations in November with a 5-0 defeat to Oman the stand out result. The uneducated guess is that a third place finish in this group is the best that can be expected.

Key Player: erm…

Oman

Qualified: Group A winners
Coach: Paul Le Guen (France)
Best: Group Stage (2004, 2007)

Yeah so after a quick google search Ali Al-Habsi is still a Wigan player, I remember a couple of years ago Oman played a competitive game at Coventry and he paid for local school kids to attend and even gave them all flags to wave. November’s Gulf Cup saw them defeat group rivals Kuwait but lost to Qatar and UAE and were thrashed 4-1 by China in last week. Coach Paul Le Guen is probably best remembered for failing to last the season as manager of Rangers. That’s your lot.

Key Player: Ali Al-Habsi (Wigan Athletic)

South Korea

Qualified: 2011 AFC Asian Cup 3rd place
Coach: Uli Stielike(Germany)
Best: Winners (1956, 1960)

It’s hard to believe that it’s been 12 years since South Korea lit up the World Cup they co-hosted and reached the semi-finals thanks to officiating not seen since Luigi Moggi’s life ban at Juventus. Amazingly they’ve not lifted the Asian Cup since 1960 but must be considered amongst the tournament favourites with exciting players like Ki Sung-yueng and Bolton’s Lee Chung-yong at their disposal. Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Son Heung-min was voted the Korean player of the year in 2014.

Key Player: Ki Sung-yueng (Swansea City)

Predictions to progress: Australia & South Korea – huge revelations I know.

Group B

China PR

Qualified: Best Third Placed team
Coach: Alain Perrin (France)
Best: Runners-up (2004)

It’s been more than 12 years now since China’s sole appearance at the 2002 World Cup and they now crave success in a tournament in which they were runners up in 2004. It seems even longer since Sin Jihai arrived at Maine Road and announced himself with a kung-fu kick to a Crystal Palace players head. I read an interesting book last year about Chinese Football called ‘Bamboo for Goalposts’ about a Britain in China trying to run organised football in a land in which groups of more than 10 people were banned and when the development of young Chinese players consisted of sending the best to live in Brazil. It’s interesting that despite three players having played in the Premier League in the past that every Chinese player in the squad is playing their football in China.

Key Player: Yang Xu (Changchun Yatai) – A complete guess based on his 14 goals in 33 games.

North Korea

Qualified: 2012 Challenge Cup Winners
Coach: Jo Tong-sop (North Korea)
Best: 4th place (1980)

All politics aside it was a terrifically heart-warming moment at the World Cup when lining up forward Jong Tae-Se burst in tears as his nation’s anthem was being played. Sadly ridiculed by Match of the Day, it was a pleasant reminder that it is still a privilege to represent your country. North Korea have a young squad and will be looking to do better than 2011 when they only collected a point.

Key Player: please DM me

Saudi Arabia

Qualified: Group C Winners
Coach: Cosmin Olaroiu (Romania)
Best: Winners (1984, 1988, 1996)

Three time winners, the 2011 was the first time Saudi Arabia had not been involved in the final they prepared for this tournament by reaching the final of the Gulf Nations Cup before losing 2-1 to Qatar. Since then preparation matches have seen them lose 4-1 to Bahrain and Qatar. The entire squad plays within Saudi Arabia.

Key Player: Nasser Al-Shamrani (Al-Hilal) – Top goalscorer in the Asian Champions League before being banned for 8 games for spitting at an opponent. Feel Lucky Raheem Sterling. Very Lucky

Uzbekistan

Qualified: Group E Runners-up
Coach: Mirjalol Qosimov (Uzbekistan)
Best: Fourth Place (2011)

Yeah, this is a harder challenge than I was expecting. Uzbekistan qualified second in their group behind the UAE ahead of Hong Kong and Vietnam. Uzebekistan were quarter finalists in 2007 and semi-finalists in 2011 but might struggle to match that result this time around.

Key Player: I’ve tweeted Jonathan Wilson

Prediction to Progress: Saudi Arabia and North Korea

Group C

Bahrain

Qualified: Group D winners
Coach: Marjan Eid (Bahrain)
Best: Fourth Place (2004)

Sadly my copy of Bahrain Football Monthly has yet to arrive but after first round exits in 2007 and 2011 they prepared for the Asian Cup by exiting the Gulf Nations Cup in the group stage collecting just two points from the group stage finishing below Yemen without scoring a goal.

Key Player: Just stop that now.

Iran

Qualified: Group B Winners
Coach: Carlos Querioz (Portugal)
Best: Winners (1968, 1972, 1976)

Charlton Athletic midfieler Reza Ghoochannelhad will be most familiar name to football supporters. No? Of Course not, although former Bolton midfielder Andranik is in the squad for those who watched Bolton in the UEFA Cup on Channel. Having lifted three consecutive trophies between 1968-72 they have yet to go back to the final and will be looking to put a difficult World Cup behind them.

Qatar

Qualified: Group D Runners-up
Coach: Djamel Belmadi (Algeria)
Best: Quarter Finals (2000, 2011)

Qatar started 2014 by winning the West Asian Cup and ended it by lifting the Gulf Nations Cup, this is the one for City fans as he former City loanee Djamel Belmadi is the head coach. The more I read the more I have a feeling that we could see an upset and Qatar reach the final.

United Arab Emirates

Qualified: Group E Winners
Coach: Mahad Ali (UAE)
Best: Runners-up (1996)

UAE have gone passed the first round since they were runners up in 1995 when they hosted and finished third at the Gulf Nations Cup in November. Credited as being one of the best sides in West Asia on their day it will be interesting to know how well they do in this tournament with the recent investment in UAE football from our very own Sheik

Key Player: Buy World Soccer

Prediction to Progress: Qatar and Iran

Group D

Iraq

Qualified: Group C Runners-up
Coach: Radhi Shenaishel
Best: Winners (2007)

It’s a far cry from the dark days of Iraqi football when Saddam Hussein’s son Uday controlled the national team using motivational lectures to the team included threats to cut off players' legs, while missing practice sessions would lead to a term in prison. A loss brought flogging with electric cable, or a bath in raw sewage. Fortunately that’s in the past and hasn’t made it into the FA’s coaching material. Since then the golden generation of Iraqi football culminated in the collection of the 2007 Asian Cup and reached the quarter finals in 20011. However they qualified ahead of China in the group stage but only collected 9 points in doing so and failed to negotiate the group stage in Gulf Nations Cup in November.

Japan

Qualified: 2011 Asian Cup Winners
Coach: Javier Aguirre (Mexico)
Best: Winners (1992, 2000, 2004, 2011)

The current holders and the side with the most European based players. Japan had a poor World Cup failing to negotiate the group stage without winning the game. The Samurai Blue will be looking to win a fifth tournament and prove last summer was a blip. Keisuke Hoinda and Yuto Nagatomo in defence and Shinji Kagawa in midfield will be key players to ensure than Sven Goran Eriksson does not succeed Javier Aguirre into management for a second time.

Key Player: Shinji Kagawa (Dortmund)

Jordan

Qualified: Group A Runners-up
Coach: Ray Wilkins (England)
Best: Quarter Final (2004, 2011)

Ray Wilkins! Yes, Ray Fucking Wilkins is the manager of Jordan, I thought televised Chelsea matches had become less obnoxious recently. The very definition of final pay day is to take a job on the other side of the world just so you can meet Peter Reid for the occasional beer. Jordan qualified through the group stages unbeaten but since Wilkins took over they’ve gone winless in 5 and only scored twice. Bring him back Mourinho!

Key Player: Don’t go there.

Palestine

Qualified: 2014 Challenge Cup winners
Coach: Saeb Jendeya
Best: Debut

Never a good sign when your manager quits months before the beginning of the tournament but Palestine have earned the right to take part in the competition by winning the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup going unbeaten throughout the tournament and without conceding a goal. Ranked 113th in the much-maligned FIFA rankings the nearest European sides they are to are the Faroe Islands (ranked 104) and Moldova (121) and are very much the tournaments underdogs.

Key Player: Ashraf Nu’man - honest

Prediction to Progress: Japan and Iraq
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Asian Cup PREVIEW

Postby dazby » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Nice one Mr Brows.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:56 pm

I honestly tried to be interested but I couldn't finish the first paragraph. Sorry, but I think this tournament is even more uninspiring than the African cup!

Hope it will bring joy to you who follow this cup tho
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby dazby » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:58 pm

That's OK. I find it hard to get interested in the Euros.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:22 pm

dazby wrote:That's OK. I find it hard to get interested in the Euros.

Just fill the fuckign fixtures in, carrot top!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby dazby » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:33 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
dazby wrote:That's OK. I find it hard to get interested in the Euros.

Just fill the fuckign fixtures in, carrot top!

You could put your hand up cream bun.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby bobby brows » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:44 am

I wanted to set myself a challenge and tbh I think it was a step too far.

My African Cup of Nations preview is half way through.

As for Everton v City? errr...get the fixtures updated. lol
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:20 am

Really looking forward to Uzbekistan v Palestine, should be a classic.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:49 am

Is there a reason why all these stupid nonsensical tournaments are not held all at the same time?

Euros
asia
africa
south america
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:01 am

Qatar have an interesting team, having initially gone down the route of recruiting as many African players as they could and making them Qatari citizens (a very dubious approach given the 25 year residency period required by law for a non-footballer), but during the recent gulf cup, 8 or the 11 who started were Qatari born, and they look to have a couple of quite decent players and are increasingly looking to develop their own players rather than buy them in,

Given the Qatari population is 93% expat, and with only around 250,000 Qatari citizens, their win in the gulf cup earlier this year was quite an achievement, and in ASPIRE, (on which many elements of the city academy have been based) the infrastructure and support behind them in terms of facilities, sports science and medicine, really does give me cause for optimism that they are going to improve exponentially in the years to come, and will without doubt be punching well above their weight for decades to come.

I look forward to following their progress, Qatar is hugely nationalistic and it's quite an event in the souks and cafés when they are playing, with huge outdoor screens setup in squares and the cafés packed full of fans.

They are progressing very nicely indeed towards the World Cup in 2022, and I wouldn't rule out that they will be there on merit as a footballing nation by the time it comes around.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:05 am

Wonderwall wrote:Is there a reason why all these stupid nonsensical tournaments are not held all at the same time?

Euros
asia
africa
south america

Holding the Asian cup early in the year is very much a product of the weather conditions, which means that much of Asian from the Indian sub continent to the Far East, is largely under water through the European summer.

So as there are no practical reasons why Europe can't hold their tournement in Jan/ Feb, perhaps it should be them who come into line with Asia and Africa?

Reality is that TV / sponsorship means it's not commercially viable to have all the tournaments on at the same time, even if different time zones would mean fixtures don't clash and 24 hour round the clock live football would be an amazing festival of football
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:50 pm

I can assure you the Hyundai a league is not played in front of sold out crowds, barring the odd melbourne derby and grand finals. Watching the roar lay home game get 10k then the semi final the next week get 25k and the grand final a week later get 55k has Always pissed me off.

Other than that it is pretty exciting to see the game grow over here and if this is a step towards the World Cup it gets a hue thumbs up from me. I've got tickets for next week as well.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Abu Dhabi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:01 am

Prediction to Progress: Qatar and Iran

Qatar my arse..

Take that!!
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:49 am

Is Omar Abdulrahman still playing for the UAE ?

Absolutely cracking player imo. Bit of a tragedy he hasn't been playing in a top league. Probably too late now, as the jump would probably be too much for him; time on the ball, heavy tackles, tactical shit, etc etc. Probably needed to be learning that when he was about 20.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Abu Dhabi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:59 pm

He is, and he is still just 23.

He plays for our rivals, but even I can admit that he is a joy to watch
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:37 pm

I'm currently on the Gold Coast (that's in Australia in case of any doubt) and will attend the Iraq v Jordan match tomorrow night in Brisbane. Hope also to catch Australia v South Korea a few days later. Having said that, I'm pissed off that after I made my travelling plans for my holidays, City announced that they will be coming to the UAE and will play Hamburg on the 21st ( I think) at which time I will still be Down Under . You cant win them all.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby dazby » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:59 pm

I'd love to see us go for Omar Abdullarahman again. What a player. The 18 year old Korean Seuk Mihn? would be good too.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:07 pm

dazby wrote:I'd love to see us go for Omar Abdullarahman again. What a player. The 18 year old Korean Seuk Mihn? would be good too.

anyone seen the 17 year old bangladeshian messi - sumkuntnikedmakar?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Slim » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:54 pm

I never thought I would see Honda and Kagawa both miss penalties there.

Amazing result for UAE, that David Luiz looking fucker is soft as shite, he'd get run over in his first game and never recover.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Abu Dhabi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:46 pm

While I agree there is room for physical improvement, I don't believe omar is soft. He's used to all kind of kicking, but he's actually been playing this tournament with an injury. He is looking more tired with every game.

Anyway, I'm totally satisfied with reaching the Semis. Anything more is a plus.
I don't think we are technically inferior to Australia, not by much at least, but I think the physicality and fatigue will give them the Edge.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum