Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Postby Mark Garrett » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:45 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:Am I misunderstanding something here or are people ready to write a player off after 5 appearances and a total of 166 minutes of play and not only that, coming here on the back of the African cup of nations and into a team that's clearly having internal problems? I mean, fair enough, everyone has the right to their opinion and there are certainly a number of perspectives you can have on his play, but if you're questioning or writing him off now, it seems to me you are doing so on very shallow grounds. Am I missing something? Who? Where? What?

Spot on.

Yes he hasn't looked great yet but he has started one game! Unbelievable the impatience from some
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby sheblue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:11 am

Bony should start the next game with silva behind him. We need to give him a proper chance for 90 mins.
Sergio doesnt look right at the moment, not just the penalty last night, its his attitude, he seems a bit disgruntled and not very happy with his team mates. That atmosphere is not good, he deserves a short break.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby nottsblue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:18 am

sheblue wrote:Bony should start the next game with silva behind him. We need to give him a proper chance for 90 mins.
Sergio doesnt look right at the moment, not just the penalty last night, its his attitude, he seems a bit disgruntled and not very happy with his team mates. That atmosphere is not good, he deserves a short break.

+1
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:26 am

I'm backing Bony.

I fucking knew as soon as he signed for us he would turn to a shadow of himself but i reckon he can and will turn it round.

#teambony
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:31 am

Was underwhelmed at the Bony signing and yet he's played even lower than my floor level of expectation so far.

Granted he needs games and some starts, but so far hes looked a stone overweight, a yard short of pace, and at a level above where hes comfortable. Hugely disappointing in his cameos though he needs some games so we know if he will adapt like Negredo, or confirm hes our new Lee Bradbury. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

However to compete at the top level we need players a lot better than him.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:27 am

sheblue wrote:Bony should start the next game with silva behind him. We need to give him a proper chance for 90 mins.

I see the same in him Sheblue. I was trying to explain it in the Barca v Us thread to Ted. I don't know what it is exactly but it's not just the fact that he's not up to 100% yet after his injury. I don't think he likes what's happening around him and doesn't seem to trust his team mates so ends up trying to do it all himself.
As for Bony, the jury is out on that one. Unfortunately from his cameo appearances his touch does not look up to the speed our attack requires. Hopefully he will get up to speed though. He looks a bit slow and heavy at the moment. Sometimes feel, if he had of put that one away in his début game against Newcastle, he would be a different player already.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:39 pm

I watched Bony last night & thought he was absolutely fine in fact better than those around him considering limited opportunity.

So, I'm going to watch all 20 mins of Bony's performance tonight & list every touch he made, good & bad, in fact every time the ball even comes near him, & post it on here, if I missed him being fucking terrible, I will admit I'm talking bollocks. I want to know what it is, that makes Bony worse than the others in that period.

If I'm wrong I'll totally admit it, if I'm right, I'll still be wrong for those who have already decided, but at least it's on record what actually happened.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby twosips » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Got no problem with Bony. Just not 100% certain he fits how we should/need to move forward. We'll see I guess!
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby gmercer1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:42 pm

How people can call him shit after a few substitute appearances is unbelievable!

He has come in to a team that's playing shit, so not sure what he's supposed to do single handed.
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:46 pm

gmercer1 wrote:How people can call him shit after a few substitute appearances is unbelievable!

He has come in to a team that's playing shit, so not sure what he's supposed to do single handed.

How people can be surprised by his body shape & how he plays, after watching him for a year, is even more unbelieveable.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:How people can call him shit after a few substitute appearances is unbelievable!

How people can be surprised by his body shape & how he plays, after watching him for a year, is even more unbelieveable.

To be fair there's a difference between being surprised at what he is and to thinking he's not what we need. I'm cautiously towards the latter as it stands.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby sheblue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:15 pm

He deserves a proper crack at it, and sergio doesnt look right at the moment so now is the time for pelligrini to give Bony a proper chance.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby ross.mcfc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:22 pm

He has not looked great when he was been on the pitch but you can't expect a player to come in half through a season into a team playing badly and expect fireworks.

He should start ahead of Dzeko for the rest of the season starting from Saturday.
ross.mcfc

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:54 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

What Id seen of Bony over the past year or so was exactly why I was underwhelmed at his arrival. I don't think hes what we need tbh, but Ill hope he proves me wrong.

Yes he needs games, as does Mangala. Both should play every game until the end of the season to give them a chance.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cit.revenge » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:28 pm

Bony is a good player, but at our level he is at best backup material. And there in lies our problem. He can dominate at Swansea, just like Lukaku can dominate at Everton, but the best coaches have a good sense for who can cut it at the very highest level. And if you don't fit that bill, you shouldn't be moved up. Except in a backup role. And that should never cost 28 million.

Sure, we should wait and give him his due time to try, but like Giroud and Welbeck at Arsenal, Benteke at Villa, and Lukaku at Everton, Bony is on that level. He can lead a mid table club, but does not seem to have the very top end technical skill to be a stud at the very highest level. That's what I thought of him at Swansea, and it's what I still think of him now.
Why we buy him for impact player when he had AFCON for month and why Board did not wait summer to see is this purple patch and then have more time to prepare with team is better question . Hes bring to make impact, From what i saw no improvment on Edin and Jovetic for now,Jojo did not deserve becouse of that to be left out of CL.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:34 pm

Bony imo is the best player we have technically in the air & at chest control & one of the best at control on the ground & indeed one of the best in the league. Strongest physically at City & one of the best at shooting. Lacks mobility.

Whether City will play with him or not is a different matter. They could have put him away twice last night. They won't play with Jovetic so no idea if they will play with Bony.

I'll tell you who would; Iheanacho, Ambrose, Barker, Angelino Boadu.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:41 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Bony imo is the best player we have technically in the air & at chest control & one of the best at control on the ground & indeed one of the best in the league. Strongest physically at City & one of the best at shooting. Lacks mobility.

Whether City will play with him or not is a different matter. They could have put him away twice last night. They won't play with Jovetic so no idea if they will play with Bony.

I'll tell you who would; Iheanacho, Ambrose, Barker, Angelino Boadu.

You just have to hope that happens though... Maybe it's cos of the malaise around the first team at the moment so I'm feeling negative but i can't help but feel we'll mess it up. I really really hope I'm wrong.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Cit.revenge wrote:Bony is a good player, but at our level he is at best backup material. And there in lies our problem. He can dominate at Swansea, just like Lukaku can dominate at Everton, but the best coaches have a good sense for who can cut it at the very highest level. And if you don't fit that bill, you shouldn't be moved up. Except in a backup role. And that should never cost 28 million.

Sure, we should wait and give him his due time to try, but like Giroud and Welbeck at Arsenal, Benteke at Villa, and Lukaku at Everton, Bony is on that level. He can lead a mid table club, but does not seem to have the very top end technical skill to be a stud at the very highest level. That's what I thought of him at Swansea, and it's what I still think of him now.
Why we buy him for impact player when he had AFCON for month and why Board did not wait summer to see is this purple patch and then have more time to prepare with team is better question . Hes bring to make impact, From what i saw no improvment on Edin and Jovetic for now,Jojo did not deserve becouse of that to be left out of CL.

First time i have ever agreed with one of your posts but you are spot on.

Bony is a fourth choice striker, a demba ba/loic remy, you take him if your kinda stuck and hes good value, you dont waste 30m on him and parachute him in as second choice striker. Dzeko is in a different league for me.

Ted points out he has a great touch, well he hasnt shown it since he signed, his touch has been one of his biggest dissapointments. For me he looks like a more expensive version of Benjani. I just dont think he fits and i had massive hopes for him before we signed him.

i will say something, its not all his fault, he was played out of position last night imo, he was played behind Aguero, for me he should be on the last man, right in the box, we have tonnes of players who are better at playing that role off the striker, he needs to be in the box causing havoc not chasing(slowly) lost causes outside the box.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PrezIke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:54 pm

the notion that he looks a stone overweight is baffling. he's built like a brick house, so of course he looks big.

i'd like to see us give him a run of games with kun to get a good look. the count could rotate he and dzeko at least, but maybe he feels he is not doing well enough in training, hasn't blended in well enough yet, or since he hasn't scored from the bench yet to warrant a start.

last year negredo got his chance as soon as dzeko struggled for a few games. then they were switched once the opposite occurred.

of course, negredo was with us in pre-season and didn't join a team in crisis mode, so hard to know what is the reason for bony's lack of starts just yet.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Boneh in....rest of season. Partner Kun and see what's what.

Or play him alone up top and give Kun a rest and a think. He's been lackluster since his return.

I like Silva in behind Bony with Kun on the bench as the best option for a few matches to see what's what.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum