Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Postby zuricity » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:59 pm

I like the idea of Bony and Kun against Barca. With Edin doing his 65 minute stuff. Yaya and Wilf probably room mates at the mo. Baking birthday cakes.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:26 pm

I believe MP when he says we need four strikers. That was the aim last season, he's tried three and found it a struggle, so Bony, if he comes brings us back to full strength. It doesn't mean one of the others is going. It's true someone will miss out on CL this year, but in the worst case scenario that is only two games.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:I believe MP when he says we need four strikers. That was the aim last season, he's tried three and found it a struggle, so Bony, if he comes brings us back to full strength. It doesn't mean one of the others is going. It's true someone will miss out on CL this year, but in the worst case scenario that is only two games.

Whoever gets dropped, will want to leave in summer.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:27 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:I believe MP when he says we need four strikers. That was the aim last season, he's tried three and found it a struggle, so Bony, if he comes brings us back to full strength. It doesn't mean one of the others is going. It's true someone will miss out on CL this year, but in the worst case scenario that is only two games.

We've lost already?

Great.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:18 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I can take various criticisms of Jovetic, but not the idea that Samir Nasri is better at shooting than him.

And if he was, how would we know, seeing as Nasri only actually tries to shoot once a month ?

funny thing is i think nasri has pretty decent finishing qualities. something is just not happening in his head there.

jovetic is clearly better than he in this regard, even if he comes across as more of a number 9 at times.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Slim » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:18 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I can take various criticisms of Jovetic, but not the idea that Samir Nasri is better at shooting than him.

And if he was, how would we know, seeing as Nasri only actually tries to shoot once a month ?

Well Sami has scored 23 goals for us, JoJo has not. If you were unsure of one of their shooting ability, are you sure you're questioning the right one?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:29 am

Jovetic is a cracking player but soft as shit with questionable mental strength i would be looking to offload him in the summer or Jan if i was to sell a striker.

Which is a shame.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:36 am

Slim wrote:

Well Sami has scored 23 goals for us, JoJo has not. If you were unsure of one of their shooting ability, are you sure you're questioning the right one?

I'd have to question us signing Bony then, seeing as Jovetic's minutes to goals ratio for City in the past year is miles better than his for Swansea (don't think people even bother printing Nasri's).

But the answer would be 'yes' I am sure I'm questioning the right one.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:54 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:

I'd have to question us signing Bony then, seeing as Jovetic's minutes to goals ratio for City in the past year is miles better than his for Swansea (don't think people even bother printing Nasri's).

Goals to minutes don't mean much if you're only fit half an hour per month.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:

Goals to minutes don't mean much if you're only fit half an hour per month.

Yes they actually do, if there are still more goals than most of your colleagues score when they play every week..

You could just as well write off Aguero's goals as meaningless.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:11 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

We've lost already?

Great.

Cheers

I didn't say that, I said it was the worst case.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Regardless of CL, someone's got to go to balance the books. We had an allowed net spend of £49m. I'm still not clear what happens in regard to add ons ie is Bony £25m or £28m for FFP purposes?

From my poor memory, below are what we spent and recouped in summer and so far in January.

Mangala 40
Willy 3
Fernando 12
Zuccelini 1.5
Bony 25
Total 81.5

Negredo 25
Nastasic 1.5 (loan)
Total 26.5

Net 55

If that's right, it means raising a further £6m. Sinclair will be a couple of million, so the rest is needed from somewhere. Maybe another loan fee or a loan with commitment to buy for someone like Jovetic?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Slim » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:

I guess we can compare the creative midfield of City's to Swansea's. We could compare the possession stats or anything else you'd like to arbitrary select as your reason to choose one player over another. How about goals scored, how does Bony stand up against JoJo then? Or Aguero? Or anyone in the league for the last 12 months?

And yes, it matters is JoJo is fit for 1 match out of every 6. Because one game is only worth 3 points, no matter of how many goals we win by with our magical goals/minute ratio striker.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:

I guess we can compare the creative midfield of City's to Swansea's. We could compare the possession stats or anything else you'd like to arbitrary select as your reason to choose one player over another. How about goals scored, how does Bony stand up against JoJo then? Or Aguero? Or anyone in the league for the last 12 months?

And yes, it matters is JoJo is fit for 1 match out of every 6. Because one game is only worth 3 points, no matter of how many goals we win by with our magical goals/minute ratio striker.

Jojo is clearly the one to go from the current crop. It's a no brainer. Jayko has proven clutch in every premier league winning season and i trust that even when his dick is down, he will find a way when the chips are down. Jojo is just a sicknote with bags of talent. Mancini would have shipped him out after last season, so i think Manuel's actually had a bit of patience, but he'll need to leave i think to make room. And to even compare Nasri's contribution to Jovetic is laughable.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Regardless of CL, someone's got to go to balance the books. We had an allowed net spend of £49m. I'm still not clear what happens in regard to add ons ie is Bony £25m or £28m for FFP purposes?

From my poor memory, below are what we spent and recouped in summer and so far in January.

Mangala 40
Willy 3
Fernando 12
Zuccelini 1.5
Bony 25
Total 81.5

Negredo 25
Nastasic 1.5 (loan)
Total 26.5

Net 55

If that's right, it means raising a further £6m. Sinclair will be a couple of million, so the rest is needed from somewhere. Maybe another loan fee or a loan with commitment to buy for someone like Jovetic?

Javi Garcia to Russia for £12+ million.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Slim » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:41 pm

See, my thinking is the other way, Dzonkey is a proven striker and worth money, also he has earned the right to play as a team's first striker rather than it's third, hell he practically dragged us to the title at the end last season.

JoJo needs to turn his shit around, most players aren't 100% all the time but they manage to play on anyway, I get the feeling he needs to toughen the fuck up. If we let him go now, it'll be another Adebayor farce with loans where we pay his wages, transfer fees where we continue to pay him after he leaves, all manner of shit I'd rather we not deal with.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:31 am

Slim wrote:See, my thinking is the other way, Dzonkey is a proven striker and worth money, also he has earned the right to play as a team's first striker rather than it's third, hell he practically dragged us to the title at the end last season.

JoJo needs to turn his shit around, most players aren't 100% all the time but they manage to play on anyway, I get the feeling he needs to toughen the fuck up. If we let him go now, it'll be another Adebayor farce with loans where we pay his wages, transfer fees where we continue to pay him after he leaves, all manner of shit I'd rather we not deal with.

Are you assuming that the Nigerian Nacho is the 4th striker? If so, i can perhaps buy your logic. It's how Daniel Levy would approach things i think. However, i'd still keep Jayko. Scores goals that matter. You can't buy that with any certainty.

And yes the deep deep irony of me defending BozSpaz is...heartfelt.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:32 am

Slim wrote:See, my thinking is the other way, Dzonkey is a proven striker and worth money, also he has earned the right to play as a team's first striker rather than it's third, hell he practically dragged us to the title at the end last season.

I think he'll go, as he doesn't fit.

But he'll be a better finisher than Nasri, whether he goes or stays & anyone who says otherwise, is a tit.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:44 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

I think he'll go, as he doesn't fit.

But he'll be a better finisher than Nasri, whether he goes or stays & anyone who says otherwise, is a tit.

Jojo has scored 74 in 227 at club level and 13 in 35 at INTL level.
Nasri has scored 62 in 440 at club level and 5 in 41 at INTL level.

Imagine if Jovetic was fucking fit? Glass-made cunt. it is hard to compare their contribution tho, since they play different roles. I'm not even sure why this comparison is an argument tbh.

However, I wouldn't trust Jojo to stay around. And just for the record, I value Nasri's contribution far above Jovetic's. And luckily this inane argument is NOT the decision anyone will actually make.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:55 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

We've lost already?

Great.

Cheers

I didn't say that, I said it was the worst case.

fine...reading is an craft i'm still honing.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum