Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Postby mr_nool » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:12 pm

I think Bony is better than Negredo (always felt Alvaro had a bit of a purple patch last fall). He's also three years younger and if we indeed will get the approx. 25 million quid from Valencia and get Bony for 30, I think we have done good business.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Slim » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:14 pm

City64 wrote:Okey dokey ........

Sky now reporting Bony discussing personel terms with Man City ........ seems to be moving quickly this deal.

Holy crap, looks very much like a done deal. Odds have plummeted in one day to 1/6.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:15 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Isnt he off to Africa?

I thought so. Lot of money if he isn't around for close on a month, when we really need someone. I do think he could be a success here however.

I think he'll do very well but it seems crazy at a time when we're short to buy a striker that's unavailable for immediate action.

I hope he's not injured while away in Africa
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PeterParker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:20 pm

So a done deal in just a couple of hours. I hope the club knows what they are doing, looks like a huge transfer fee for me, however, he looks like a proper beast, sometimes and most important, injury free.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mark Garrett » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:21 pm

I am surprised at the questioning of this lad's ability on this thread!

Negredo has gone out on loan and is signing for Valencia at the end of the season. That is a done deal.

As for Bony, he has been scoring goals for Swansea (a midtable side) for the past 18months. He is a proven goalscorer and proven in the Premier League.

Is he priced a bit high? Yes but of course he will be, anyone will be in January and he has just signed a new contract in November to increase his market value.

All because he is going to African Cup of Nations and n/a for January is not a reason to not sign him. He isn't signing for a month! He gives us a different option because Jovetic is a number 10 not an out and out centre forward and that leaves Sergio and Dzeko.

If we sign him, I think it is a really good buy, my only question would be, why didn't we sign him for £10m less last summer?
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby City64 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Mark Garrett wrote:I am surprised at the questioning of this lad's ability on this thread!

Negredo has gone out on loan and is signing for Valencia at the end of the season. That is a done deal.

As for Bony, he has been scoring goals for Swansea (a midtable side) for the past 18months. He is a proven goalscorer and proven in the Premier League.

Is he priced a bit high? Yes but of course he will be, anyone will be in January and he has just signed a new contract in November to increase his market value.

All because he is going to African Cup of Nations and n/a for January is not a reason to not sign him. He isn't signing for a month! He gives us a different option because Jovetic is a number 10 not an out and out centre forward and that leaves Sergio and Dzeko.

If we sign him, I think it is a really good buy, my only question would be, why didn't we sign him for £10m less last summer?

Because Negredo,s missus hadn't yet dropped the bombshell that she fucking hates the Trafford Center and the Manchester Arndale ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Slim » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Mark Garrett wrote:I am surprised at the questioning of this lad's ability on this thread!

Charlie Adam looked a world beater before he went to a top 4 side, if there are doubts it's that one system for a midtable side that works does not mean that transitions to sucess with another system for a top 4 side.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:34 pm

Mark Garrett wrote:
As for Bony, he has been scoring goals for Swansea (a midtable side) for the past 18months.

scott sinclair mk II. (though I hope I'm wrong)
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Mark Garrett » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Hardly a fair comparison. Bony has the attributes to do well, goalscorer, powerful, quick
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:38 pm

To put him in the Climate squad, wouldn't we have to ditch A N Other?
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Slim wrote:

Charlie Adam looked a world beater before he went to a top 4 side, if there are doubts it's that one system for a midtable side that works does not mean that transitions to sucess with another system for a top 4 side.

That's frighteningly accurate.

I just hope that all who have doubts, including myself, are made to look absolutely ridiculous by the way he adapts to City and scores loads of goals.

But that's presupposing that this particular transfer transaction is more than just hot air.

At the end of the day, all we can do is wait and see.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:46 pm

I dont see how we are doing this deal unless it involved another player in the opposite direction or we have already sorted deals out for certain players to leave for cash. I cant see Sinclair going back to Swansea, they already have Routledge and Dyer, why get Sinclair as well, unless Monk is his pal?

I think Swansea's problem is up front so we wont be helping them there unless we loan them devante until the end of the season?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:49 pm

Bit underwhelmed to be honest. However, should he sign, and it's looking like he will, lets get right behind the lad. He is a different type of forward to what we have and only time will tell if either he adapts to us or we adapt to him. Scored goals for fun though last eighteen months so has pedigree. If Sinclair was to go the other way as part of the deal it wouldn't be the worst news
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby City64 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Even @ £30 million ( very possibly a City player in exchange aswell ) Bony would represent FAR BETTER value than what the rags have stumped up for Falcao !

Like I said ........ No brainer of a deal for me :-)
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Spurge » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I dont see how we are doing this deal unless it involved another player in the opposite direction or we have already sorted deals out for certain players to leave for cash. I cant see Sinclair going back to Swansea, they already have Routledge and Dyer, why get Sinclair as well, unless Monk is his pal?

I think Swansea's problem is up front so we wont be helping them there unless we loan them devante until the end of the season?

Gives Gomis and Emnes the chance to shine - admittedly it 'was only' Tranmere at the weekend but the pair looked ok so maybe not as big a problem as you might otherwise think.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Original Dub » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:04 pm

I'd be delighted with this if it happens.

He is quality. Afaik no one scored more premier league goals than him in the whole of 2014?!. And that was playing for fucking swansea!

Fingers crossed it goes through. Bony, aguero, dzeko and jovetic. Four completely different options.

Excellent
Original Dub

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:04 pm

would VASTLY prefer we waited until summer when better players and value can be had. I'd even suffer through a half season with milner playing lone striker!!
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Mark Garrett » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:11 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:would VASTLY prefer we waited until summer when better players and value can be had. I'd even suffer through a half season with milner playing lone striker!!

Who would you have preferred us to sign as a striker in the summer? Realistic options i.e. not Messi.
MANCINI Record at City

Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Spurge » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:12 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Whassat wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:ffs I was hoping the bony rumors were all bollox! sinclair mk II. pls just no.

Well, he've scored shed loads last year. "Proven" so to say in the Prem. I think we could go for worse options than him. But really, is he an upgrade on Negredo?

Not as far as I'm concerned, but then I was (and still am for that matter) a big Negredo fan, so that could be unjustified bias on my part.

For the price we'll probably end up paying, it just seems so very disappointing.

Lavezzi and Cavani are both 'in trouble' at PSG for arriving back late after the new year commencement and have been 'banned' from their squad for two games. Given Cavani's quoted disaffection in France, I wouldn't mind trying to get him (or even Lavezzi) on loan until the end of the season.

Neither proven in the prem league, the fact that they seeminlgy dont have any sort of regard for club policy at PSG is an added problem and something that certainly wouldn't be tolerated at City - as Tevez & Ballo found to their cost,

The more I think on the better fit I feel Bony will be for us, scores goals from anywhere and appears to be a team player in his approach to the game. He scored a great goal against us this season and two good goals against us last season on new years day, something that I'm sure was not lost on the powers that be at City.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby City64 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:would VASTLY prefer we waited until summer when better players and value can be had. I'd even suffer through a half season with milner playing lone striker!!

You need a head wobble mate , seriously ! Bony has scored 34 goals in 70 appearances for Swansea in 18 months , that's a better record than Aguero ....... Just ! Milner is a very good utility player not a striker with the record Bony has . Bottom line is you have to pay top dollar for proven strikers , especially proven strikers in the Premier League .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum