Frank Lampard - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Should He Stay Or Should He Go?

a. Return as agreed at the end of December
2%
b. Extend to mid-February until the return of Yaya
36%
c. Extend until the end of the season
62%
d. Other - reason stated in thread
No votes

Total votes : 84

Re: Frank Lampard - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:30 pm

I do feel a little sad about taking Frank from the first part of their debut season, but they should try 35 years without a trophy before they complain too much :-)
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:42 am

I think your point reinforces what I said In my last paragraph, that I'd have considerably more sympathy in this situation for the Melbourne fans who didn't have a choice in who owned their football club. I reckon there is every chance that this has a bearing on why we are not interested in Villa during our current striker crisis.

But the NYC fans signed up knowing that their new club were part of CFG, and it really just shows their naivity about 'soccer' that like Ted says, they think this is all a one way street and that they were going to get all this handed to them on a plate for free without anything flowing back across the Atlantic in our direction.

I get their point, I just feel it's totally naive of them to think that NYCFC are a stand alone entity, and that when it all comes down to priorities, unless they accept that Mcfc will always be the first priority for the group, they are destined to be disappointed.

Alternatively they can look at the positive things having mcfc on their side can do for them, and begin to see that both sides can benefit from sharing resources, and that in all likelihood in the long run when it comes to loans and player swaps, mcfc need this particular one, but NYC will get a choice of several top young talents each year, for ever....something no other club in the MLS has

I understand what you mean and I agree that to some extent, the American system is a tad more artificial than the European, with franchises moving back and forth across the country and the minor and major leagues. I don't know if the MLS works the same way as the NBA or the NHL does but I presume it does and in that scheme of things, perhaps it's not such a major thing that some are cancelling their season tickets. In the end, if it doesn't work out, we can just move towns. Or can we? I presume we can so lets do it.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:46 pm

Interesting to hear that it was a season long loan rather than an extension. Does that mean that he was always earmarked to stay with us unless he was shit/we didn't need him?

If so, it looks like we had Maureen/Chelsea off and Frank prefers to be fighting for the PL/CL with us than hit the other side of the pond. Maybe this was a cunning way of not alienating the Chelsea fans and a backdoor option for Frank.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BmoreBlue » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:28 pm

There was an NYCFC Supporters twitter account openly rooting against MCFC yesterday - when I called him out for being childish and petulant, he blocked me.

As an American who supports both MCFC and NYCFC, I'm a little disappointed in how MCFC has handled this - convinced that if they had announced Lampard would provide cover for Yaya, and Lamps would go back prior to the start of the season, all parties would be fine. But the reaction of some of the NYCFC supporters is just ridiculous. Some are now calling for Reyna to cancel Lampard's contract and sign someone to replace him "who actually wants to be here."
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby PrezIke » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
But the NYC fans signed up knowing that their new club were part of CFG, and it really just shows their naivity about 'soccer' that like Ted says, they think this is all a one way street and that they were going to get all this handed to them on a plate for free without anything flowing back across the Atlantic in our direction.

I get their point, I just feel it's totally naive of them to think that NYCFC are a stand alone entity, and that when it all comes down to priorities, unless they accept that Mcfc will always be the first priority for the group, they are destined to be disappointed.

Alternatively they can look at the positive things having mcfc on their side can do for them, and begin to see that both sides can benefit from sharing resources, and that in all likelihood in the long run when it comes to loans and player swaps, mcfc need this particular one, but NYC will get a choice of several top young talents each year, for ever....something no other club in the MLS has

well put. in fact, almost exactly what i was saying to a mate of mine yesterday.

the long term the relationship will be certainly be beneficial to nycfc and the fans should know that.

funny as i live in nyc, and i don't really know any serious fans. how can you, as we haven't even had a game yet! c'mon now.

i can understand those who paid for season tickets hoping to see lampard there, but it's also a bit naive to assume there is no way this could have happened for the reasons you alluded to. i was a bit shocked by the news (and that maybe he returns manchester the next season), but i think this is also very much about what lampard himself wants. so to place fault at CFG exclusively is acting like he has no say in the matter.

think he would prefer to play the entire inaugural season at a club in a lower league that is going to play in a baseball stadium, or for a team that is in real competition for top prizes that has the best facilities in the world?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:37 pm

BmoreBlue wrote:There was an NYCFC Supporters twitter account openly rooting against MCFC yesterday - when I called him out for being childish and petulant, he blocked me.

As an American who supports both MCFC and NYCFC, I'm a little disappointed in how MCFC has handled this - convinced that if they had announced Lampard would provide cover for Yaya, and Lamps would go back prior to the start of the season, all parties would be fine. But the reaction of some of the NYCFC supporters is just ridiculous. Some are now calling for Reyna to cancel Lampard's contract and sign someone to replace him "who actually wants to be here."

That's where I got the link to their forum, from a tweet. I can understand your frustration a little but if one good thing has come from this it has been for the City hating new supporters that they've attracted to be weeded out.

I get the feeling that a lot of the new support is very much old Sky 4 orientated and that a lot of them wanted what City have got without actually being linked to City. These are bandwaggoners, believing that they will see massive investment from the Sheikh, taking them to the top of the tree whilst also being able to support their PL team and still being able to sneer at us about history/best team in Manchester etc.

From reading some of the views I have no sympathy for them, only the real fans who are actually looking for a club to support as a first team, rather than one that they know will be successful.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby carolina-blue » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Interesting to hear that it was a season long loan rather than an extension. Does that mean that he was always earmarked to stay with us unless he was shit/we didn't need him?

If so, it looks like we had Maureen/Chelsea off and Frank prefers to be fighting for the PL/CL with us than hit the other side of the pond. Maybe this was a cunning way of not alienating the Chelsea fans and a backdoor option for Frank.

I was thinking on similar lines . What if Frank wants to stay here MCFC . He has had nothing but excellent things to say on how he has been received / treated .and as per the Norm Its big bad CIT1-6 ruining football again
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Chinners » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:27 pm

Feck NYCFC and their supporters, City are the only club I worry about so of course he should (and is) staying, the MSL sucks anyway
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:30 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

well put. in fact, almost exactly what i was saying to a mate of mine yesterday.

the long term the relationship will be certainly be beneficial to nycfc and the fans should know that.

funny as i live in nyc, and i don't really know any serious fans. how can you, as we haven't even had a game yet! c'mon now.

i can understand those who paid for season tickets hoping to see lampard there, but it's also a bit naive to assume there is no way this could have happened for the reasons you alluded to. i was a bit shocked by the news (and that maybe he returns manchester the next season), but i think this is also very much about what lampard himself wants. so to place fault at CFG exclusively is acting like he has no say in the matter.

think he would prefer to play the entire inaugural season at a club in a lower league that is going to play in a baseball stadium, or for a team that is in real competition for top prizes that has the best facilities in the world?

Lampard deserves this.

I can fully understand people who paid out money to see Frank Lampard, are disappointed. If they paid mainly to see Frank, & they want their money back, fair enough.
What I can't accept is any of these people being portrayed as downtrodden, loyal supporters, who have been shafted. Some seem to be portraying themselves as such. They are customers, not supporters. They can become supporters, when they start supporting the club (not Frank Lampard) & stick with it.

Some sections seem to be actual enemies of City who somehow believe that NYC is some entirely unrelated entity, created by Sheikh Mansour for them, rather than a new club owned by his flagship club. This idea needs nipping in the bud & City fans here should stop agreeing with them & giving their argument validity. NYC is it's own club, but it is still under City's umbrella & is supposed to compliment our operation, not oppose it.

Once it is really up & running & competing seriously, then if we pinch a player of theirs from them in the middle of it, I will be on their side if they kick up fuck about it.

The Count in his garbled way I think, is trying to spell out that as NYC is part of City & MCFC is the flagship, it is in their interests, for Frank Lampard to help us, as we are the people who will be backing them. A strong & successful MCFC is in the interests of NYC. The rag types who are glamming on need to know that.

Once it does kick off, then City need to put some weight behind it. Probably the 2nd & 3rd season will see more of that than the 1st. Same in Oz & Japan. Early days.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:01 pm

I think to defuse any animosity we should maybe send them some youngsters for free.....on our payroll.

If that doesn't appease them then fuck them......
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:17 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I think to defuse any animosity we should maybe send them some youngsters for free.....on our payroll.

If that doesn't appease them then fuck them......

We will square it all one way or another, I'm sure. But some of the characters 'supporting' them, don't want us to. They want a club with no connection to City.

They should just be told to go and fuck off & support one.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby PrezIke » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Lampard deserves this.

I can fully understand people who paid out money to see Frank Lampard, are disappointed. If they paid mainly to see Frank, & they want their money back, fair enough.
What I can't accept is any of these people being portrayed as downtrodden, loyal supporters, who have been shafted. Some seem to be portraying themselves as such. They are customers, not supporters. They can become supporters, when they start supporting the club (not Frank Lampard) & stick with it.

Some sections seem to be actual enemies of City who somehow believe that NYC is some entirely unrelated entity, created by Sheikh Mansour for them, rather than a new club owned by his flagship club. This idea needs nipping in the bud & City fans here should stop agreeing with them & giving their argument validity. NYC is it's own club, but it is still under City's umbrella & is supposed to compliment our operation, not oppose it.

Once it is really up & running & competing seriously, then if we pinch a player of theirs from them in the middle of it, I will be on their side if they kick up fuck about it.

The Count in his garbled way I think, is trying to spell out that as NYC is part of City & MCFC is the flagship, it is in their interests, for Frank Lampard to help us, as we are the people who will be backing them. A strong & successful MCFC is in the interests of NYC. The rag types who are glamming on need to know that.

Once it does kick off, then City need to put some weight behind it. Probably the 2nd & 3rd season will see more of that than the 1st. Same in Oz & Japan. Early days.

ted, i can also testify as a native new yorker that as you may know we have some sport fans in the area who are rag-like in their arrogance. ironically enough, the yankees and their support base are well known to be the representation of this (i used to be a supporter).

you laid it out properly. they are customers, not supporters just yet.

i do plan to be a supporter of nycfc, and am very happy that the relationship between the clubs exists. of course, i am highly biased, sure, but those complaining could certainly benefit from a little perspective.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby phips » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Chinners wrote:Feck NYCFC and their supporters, City are the only club I worry about so of course he should (and is) staying, the MLS sucks anyway

this
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:56 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Lampard deserves this.

ted, i can also testify as a native new yorker that as you may know we have some sport fans in the area who are rag-like in their arrogance. ironically enough, the yankees and their support base are well known to be the representation of this (i used to be a supporter).

you laid it out properly. they are customers, not supporters just yet.

i do plan to be a supporter of nycfc, and am very happy that the relationship between the clubs exists. of course, i am highly biased, sure, but those complaining could certainly benefit from a little perspective.

I'm looking forward to watching the development of NYC over the coming seasons & can see both clubs benefitting each other.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:58 pm

phips wrote:
Chinners wrote:Feck NYCFC and their supporters, City are the only club I worry about so of course he should (and is) staying, the MLS sucks anyway

this

The MLS doesn't suck anymore really. Its nearly watchable in some parts. It's the height of arrogance to say it does. Chinners is a nutter so I can abide him mouthing off but you should fuck off.

Also no one really cares about the Lamps deal other than pundits with an Axe to grind or grasping for a story out of desperation. That's a fact.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:35 pm

NYCFC fan group 'outraged' by Frank Lampard's Manchester City deal

Manchester City's deal to keep Frank Lampard until the end of the season has been condemned by supporters of New York City FC, their sister club in Major League Soccer, who must now wait until mid-season to see their marquee signing.

Lampard has been the face of New York's marketing push alongside former Barcelona striker David Villa ahead of their inaugural campaign in MLS, but the former England midfielder will be absent when the new franchise open against fellow new boys Orlando on March 8 after City confirmed he will remain in Manchester until the end of the English season.

While the deal has been anticipated for some time given Lampard's impact at City and Yaya Toure's imminent departure to the African Nations Cup, the announcement -- which came hours before his loan deal was due to end -- was quickly denounced by NYCFC supporters' group The Third Rail.

"On behalf of the Third Rail, we would like to publicly denounce City Football Group's and Frank Lampard's decision to extend his loan to Manchester City until the end of the Premier League season," a statement on the group's website said.

"Many fans, including our members, decided to support the team, committed to season tickets, and bought merchandise under the impression that Frank Lampard would be playing for New York City Football Club, not Manchester City. Many of those fans are rightly outraged by this decision, and we support any course of action they take to voice their discontent over this decision.

"Our support for our ownership group has been unwavering until now, but this we cannot support. We reject out of hand any suggestion that NYCFC is in any way secondary to Manchester City FC, regardless of the source, and are disappointed that City Football Group would give such an appearance.

"The Third Rail will forever act as a voice for the fans of New York City Football Club."

New York City are jointly owned by Manchester City's parent company City Football Group and Major League Baseball franchise the New York Yankees, and Lampard's move had already been criticised by Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger as a means of bypassing financial fair play rules to sign the 36-year-old on the cheap.

The former Chelsea star has proven his worth to City by scoring six goals in 17 appearances for the club, although he has only started three Premier League games.

The deal can be seen as a snub for MLS, and has echoes of David Beckham's numerous moves back to Europe on short-term deals while playing for the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Former New England Revolution coach Steve Nicol told ESPN the deal was a "disaster" for MLS due to the message it will send to fans.

"Disaster, absolute disaster," he said. "It's a disaster for that new franchise, a disaster for MLS. I can't wait to hear from [MLS commissioner] Don Garber."

In a short statement on the MLS website, Garber's deputy commissioner Mark Abbott said: "Frank Lampard's performance at Manchester City reaffirms that he is one of the world's elite midfielders and we look forward to him joining NYCFC during the 2015 season."

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2222634/nycf ... -city-deal
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:36 pm

Lampardgate: Where are MLS and New York City FC?

EDITORIAL - So let me get this straight — the opinions of U.S. Men’s National Team coach Jurgen Klinsmann were so severe that Don Garber had to field an embarrassing impromptu press call to address the situation, but no one is coming forward to clarify this New York City FC Frank Lampard debacle?

If ever there was a time for Garber to demonstrate his promise of transparency, this is it.

We are now on the third day of Lampardgate, and all anyone can come up with is conjecture and secondary reporting to explain the entire mess. By now, it is almost an accepted fact that Lampard never had a contract with New York City FC. That, in turn, means Lampard never had a contract with Major League Soccer. That means both NYCFC and MLS have lied to us.

All of us.

And no one is answering for their role.

People can grind their axe against NYCFC all they want, but MLS is complicit in this entire fiasco, and that alone should require some form of response.

So why is everyone so quiet?

Is it the embarrassment of MLS starting their 20th year by feeding into their interminable minor league image? Are both organizations just tossing the ball around to figure out who will fall on their sword for the greater good of American soccer?

The silence is deafening, and the only folks who are made to suffer are those who support the beautiful game across America. Oh yes, this is bigger than just the Third Rail. This is larger than the nearly 12,000 season ticket holders who have plunked down their nonrefundable deposits to support a second New York team. This is bigger than New York soccer.

Lampardgate is about MLS. About American soccer. NYCFC aren’t the only ones made to look like second class “Citizens” in this entire affair. On their 20th anniversary, and just seven short years from Garber’s goal to make the league a global player, MLS is looking as plastic and propped up as ever, quietly sitting in a $100 million dollar cash pool while City Football Group circumvents Fair Play rules to meet their own ends.

No wonder Garber was so elusive about the Lampard situation in his recent Reuters interview. “All player personnel decisions are made by the club. I have great confidence in the management in New York and the ownership and their representatives,” he said. “I am sure in due time they will be able to deal with this issue but it is not something that the league is going to weigh in on in any way.” Nevermind the fact that all player contracts get ratified by the MLS offices. Nevermind the long and illustrious history of MLS involvement in player acquisition (Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley anyone?!).

Yes, player personnel decisions were taken by NYCFC — but when was MLS going to tell us they weren’t in the loop?

At this point, media members have grown accustomed to the clandestine operations of NYCFC. Whether by choice, lack of infrastructure, or mandate, New York’s latest professional franchise has kept everything close to the vest. Even the simplest requests seem to go ignored and unexplained — and frustratingly so.

Sadly, this behavior has come to be accepted.

MLS, however, has no excuse. NYCFC is making a laughing stock of the league with this Lampard situation and the controversy deserves more response then Garber washing his hands of the entire affair. Instead of celebrating 20 years of growth in the domestic professional soccer realm, we are reminded just how far off MLS is from being a global player.

That seems slightly more detrimental than Klinsmann encouraging players to test themselves in the highest levels of professional soccer, doesn’t it?

Someone needs to take a leadership role. Someone has to take responsibility. Someone has to speak for this black eye on MLS and American soccer.

Now who is it going to be? The MLS Commissioner? Or the tone deaf people who tweeted this mere hours after their franchise was dragged through the mud?

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/lampardga ... ork-31195/
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:42 pm

The Third Rail sound suspiciously raggish to me (or radish as the spell check thinks).
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:50 pm

What a bunch of fucking drama queens some of these reporters are.

I'm wondering what they would make of it if they actually supported a team over here for the last 40 years or so & experienced the realities of it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:54 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:The Third Rail sound suspiciously raggish to me (or radish as the spell check thinks).

They sound like a typical New Yorker.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum