Six hundred and fifty six passes

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Six hundred and fifty six passes

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:09 am

Completed.

According to Four Four two/Opta.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8- ... hes/755466

Plenty of crosses, loads of passes in the oppo half, only something like 4.5% long balls.

Pass map (lol) http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8- ... per-anchor

So, here's my question; why don't we just do that, but with a striker ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: Six hundred and fifty six passes

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:19 am

It was interesting listening to the game on the radio where all the talk was about these sharp 10 metre passes and they likened the game to Barca style football. I can't remember who was commentating (one negative, one very positive) but he was creaming himself over our play and said that you can win games without a striker as Barca have proved with the fast inter-play from our midfield basically breaking down the 2 banks of defence.

We have the players to play this style but we're not looking to emulate Barca, we're looking for our own style that Pellers has put into place. By having a striker, mainly 2, on the pitch then this doesn't allow for the same game as the space in midfield is much greater to cover.

When I heard the line-up yesterday I knew Milner would not be at the forefront of our attack, more a foil for the more technical players to make the space. It took a little time for them to work out the system but once it got going it worked extremely well and wore down Palace's shape, dragging them around the pitch.

So, to answer your question Ted, Yes, we could play that with 1 forward but that isn't the style that has been directed. However, as we're here to win things, sometimes style has to go out of the window and we should test and adjust for every team we play.

Maybe this style of play could be used against Barca, beating them at their own game? Although, they seem to have changed as well.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:27 am

Beefymcfc wrote:It was interesting listening to the game on the radio where all the talk was about these sharp 10 metre passes and they likened the game to Barca style football. I can't remember who was commentating (one negative, one very positive) but he was creaming himself over our play and said that you can win games without a striker as Barca have proved with the fast inter-play from our midfield basically breaking down the 2 banks of defence.

We have the players to play this style but we're not looking to emulate Barca, we're looking for our own style that Pellers has put into place. By having a striker, mainly 2, on the pitch then this doesn't allow for the same game as the space in midfield is much greater to cover.

When I heard the line-up yesterday I knew Milner would not be at the forefront of our attack, more a foil for the more technical players to make the space. It took a little time for them to work out the system but once it got going it worked extremely well and wore down Palace's shape, dragging them around the pitch.

So, to answer your question Ted, Yes, we could play that with 1 forward but that isn't the style that has been directed. However, as we're here to win things, sometimes style has to go out of the window and we should test and adjust for every team we play.

Maybe this style of play could be used against Barca, beating them at their own game? Although, they seem to have changed as well.

My point is though, that I don't understand why having a striker, or even two, should make the slightest difference.

We played in Palace's half, with the ball. Aguero is a better footballer than Milner. No reason he should lose it. Bayern came to our place last year, & put their whole team in our half, & took the piss out of us, doing exactly what we have just proved, we are totally capable of doing.

When we played Barca at our place last season, as soon as they lost the ball, we hoofed it straight back to them.

We have just proved, we can pass the ball every bit as well as they can.

(Michael Owen, by the way, was effusive in his praise of our football & said we are developing a trademark of the way we play like Barca have done!!!)

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:44 am

We played Palace Ted, not Barca or Bayern. Yes, we can do it but have we got the mental attitude when it comes to the big teams. Also, on the European stage, we're not just trying to win games we're trying to do it the City way, giving ourselves exposure to the wider audiance.

It may not be right as first and foremost we should be playing to win the game, especially at this early stage, but it is a philosphy (Rag cunts) that our club is trying to nurture.

Rightly or wrongly, we have to live with that.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:47 am

Beefymcfc wrote:We played Palace Ted, not Barca or Bayern. Yes, we can do it but have we got the mental attitude when it comes to the big teams. Also, on the European stage, we're not just trying to win games we're trying to do it the City way, giving ourselves exposure to the wider audiance.

It may not be right as first and foremost we should be playing to win the game, especially at this early stage, but it is a philosphy (Rag cunts) that our club is trying to nurture.

Yeah, so it should be a lot easier v Bayern or Barca, as they don't park the bus & have terribly weak defences when exposed.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:50 am

I think the mind set changes when we have an out and out striker on. When the ball comes into Sergio, his first thought is to go for goal. When Edin gets the ball, he usually lays it of and gets into the box where our midfielders try and deliver it quickly.

Many times yesterday we held back on the final probing ball, where it would have gone into Sergio or Edin and thus increased our pass count.

I agree with you, I see no reason why we can't do this with strikers on the pitch but our strikers would have to be prepared to be very patient and maybe drop very deep to pull the centre backs all over the place .
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:51 am

It was impressive.

But it was crystal palace mate. Bit of perspective. You're closed down a lot quicker v barca and bayern.

It's like asking why we didn't dance like a butterfly v mike tyson when we just did it against helen keller.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:54 am

Original Dub wrote:It was impressive.

But it was crystal palace mate. Bit of perspective. You're closed down a lot quicker v barca and bayern.

It's like asking why we didn't dance like a butterfly v mike tyson when we just did it against helen keller.

You also have loads more space to work with, behind them, if you keep the ball & don't panic, as Bayern & Dortmund showed when they did it in Spain .
Last edited by Ted Hughes on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:55 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:We played Palace Ted, not Barca or Bayern. Yes, we can do it but have we got the mental attitude when it comes to the big teams. Also, on the European stage, we're not just trying to win games we're trying to do it the City way, giving ourselves exposure to the wider audiance.

Yeah, so it should be a lot easier v Bayern or Barca, as they don't park the bus & have terribly weak defences when exposed.

Well, when you consider that they are far better teams and hunt the ball down, I don't see us having it all our way like yesterday where we played in their half. We have proved, against Bayern especially, that we can take them on but it's more when we've got grafters on the field like Milner with one upfront. Those games weren't like yesterday though, it was more about the guile and self-belief once we got a goal.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:57 am

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:I think the mind set changes when we have an out and out striker on. When the ball comes into Sergio, his first thought is to go for goal. When Edin gets the ball, he usually lays it of and gets into the box where our midfielders try and deliver it quickly.

Many times yesterday we held back on the final probing ball, where it would have gone into Sergio or Edin and thus increased our pass count.

I agree with you, I see no reason why we can't do this with strikers on the pitch but our strikers would have to be prepared to be very patient and maybe drop very deep to pull the centre backs all over the place .

And this the major difference, the mindset of a striker compared to what we had yesterday. Sergio could play like that but his over-riding intention is to turn and hit the goal rather than looking to pass it across.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Well, when you consider that they are far better teams and hunt the ball down, I don't see us having it all our way like yesterday where we played in their half. We have proved, against Bayern especially, that we can take them on but it's more when we've got grafters on the field like Milner with one upfront. Those games weren't like yesterday though, it was more about the guile and self-belief once we got a goal.

We shouldn't have it all our own way. We should be chasing the ball, seriously worried they are about to score at any second, & when we get the ball, they should be chasing it, seriously worried that we are about to score at any second.

It should be two really skilled teams trying to counter each other as equals. Not one tean passing & the other lumping it back to them, like it is when we play Barca or Bayern.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:06 pm

And that's what I'm saying mate, it's more of a mentality issue with a few of the players. Just like we were winning against Real and lost it at the last minute. Even players of our standard look at the likes of Barca, Bayern & Real as the real big boys, just like certain PL teams look at the Rags, and their game goes out of the window.

I think we've seen a turning point now though and the games against Bayern & Roma this season have really brought them on; we seem to be getting a real resolve throughout the team, not wanting to bow to anybody and that's why I think on a level playing field we can beat Barca. My only issue is - Will we be allowed to?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:I think the mind set changes when we have an out and out striker on. When the ball comes into Sergio, his first thought is to go for goal. When Edin gets the ball, he usually lays it of and gets into the box where our midfielders try and deliver it quickly.

And this the major difference, the mindset of a striker compared to what we had yesterday. Sergio could play like that but his over-riding intention is to turn and hit the goal rather than looking to pass it across.

Also the mind set of the midfielders around him, constantly looking for that ball into him quickly and knowing what he can do. I don't think Sergio would be able (or willing) to play the role Milner did today and we wouldn't want him too.

Hopefully Pellegrini will be able to show them the video of the game and illustrate how the system works and give the players more confidence to be more patient with the ball
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:20 pm

I wouldn't want Sergio to play exactly like Milner did, it would devalue him.

But I don't think Milner's performance has anything to do with us keeping the ball, I think it's because the players were more focused on their game, because they knew we had a problem. If the same 11 play at WBA & we don't have that focus, we will not keep the ball any better than we would any other day, in fact it will be worse, without a striker.

I think we have hit on something here, & it should now become the evolution of the team, to become a real top side in Europe. Not because of the formation, but because whatever City team goes out, in any formation, we should look to play football, exactly like we did v Palace.

If it doesn't work as well, because the oppo is better, so be it. Still doesn't mean we don't win, just we have 500 passes instead of 650.

This is it; we have proved we can do it. We should never let this go.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Echo earlier statements of it was very impressive but again it was only Palace. A big part of the performance was that Zabs and Kolarov were able to almost play as wingers and camped in Palace's third because they didn't pose a real threat and this really gave us an extra dimension. I'm not so sure against Barca if they'll play with as much freedom.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Echo earlier statements of it was very impressive but again it was only Palace. A big part of the performance was that Zabs and Kolarov were able to almost play as wingers and camped in Palace's third because they didn't pose a real threat and this really gave us an extra dimension. I'm not so sure against Barca if they'll play with as much freedom.

Can I just stress the point, that there is no fucking way on Earth, we will play like that vs Barca ?

My point is: we TRY to play like that, just as they will TRY to play like that vs us.

Intead of being passed off the fucking pitch by a ten man Bayern team. We have PROVED we are better than that.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:04 pm

I think (hope) the Bayern game will be the turning point for us in Europe in the way the semi against the rags was. In that game, after about 30 minutes, we realised we were actually better than them and went on to take them apart and that continued into the following season. Although we beat Bayern previously, it was last game etc. Hopefully the way we beat them this time has given us belief, followed by a great win in Rome and we can actually play Barca believing we are at least equals.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:37 pm

That was our third highest number of completed passes in the Prem this season.

Both other games we have had 2 up front: vs Villa (688) with Aguero & Dzeko and vs Sunderland (686) with Jovetic & Aguero
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:24 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:That was our third highest number of completed passes in the Prem this season.

Both other games we have had 2 up front: vs Villa (688) with Aguero & Dzeko and vs Sunderland (686) with Jovetic & Aguero

But the way we sat on Palace around their penalty area 2nd half, hitting short passes & moving them from side to side, was a different kind of City imo compared to when we often go all the way back & knock it around between the cbs & Yaya etc in our own half or at the halfway line,

The way we kept the ball alive in their danger area, without trying any stupid hopeful stuff, was very similar to the kind of stuff Barca & Bayern do to people when at their best.

Liverpool for instance, had nearly 90% possession at times vs Arsenal today, but were all over the pitch in all directions. So often v Palace, we were right there, in their third, making them concentrate over & over again. It's really hard to maintain that level of concentration.

Usually, even if we have the ball, a lot of the time it is non threatening, like Liverpool today.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:31 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:That was our third highest number of completed passes in the Prem this season.

But the way we sat on Palace around their penalty area 2nd half, hitting short passes & moving them from side to side, was a different kind of City imo compared to when we often go all the way back & knock it around between the cbs & Yaya etc in our own half or at the halfway line,

The way we kept the ball alive in their danger area, without trying any stupid hopeful stuff, was very similar to the kind of stuff Barca & Bayern do to people when at their best.

Liverpool for instance, had nearly 90% possession at times vs Arsenal today, but were all over the pitch in all directions. So often v Palace, we were right there, in their third, making them concentrate over & over again. It's really hard to maintain that level of concentration.

Usually, even if we have the ball, a lot of the time it is non threatening, like Liverpool today.

A big factor is how deep the opposing team choose to defend. We rarely shoot from outside the box, therefore Palace seem to have planned to sit all the way back in their box, even deeper than we usually see, and force city to get behind them.

Many times at the Etihad, teams do that and we eventually find a way through once or twice either due to a defender switching off, or due to good movement off the ball. Over 90 minutes it can be very frustrating as the percentages sometimes need us to score with pretty much every clear chance we get.

An additional bonus at weekend was they offered less threat than most, allowing kolarov and zabaleta to camp out on the edge of their box meaning we ALSO had excellent width as an extra outlet, and extra bodies in the box on every occasion, which we often lack if we rely on Silva as a wide player and need the fullbacks to be a bit more cautious. Zabaleta has in fact played this advanced a fair few times this season

I really don't see how the play was any more or less remarkable than previously, other than the way the personnel fitted into the shape of the team.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum