The Bayern effect

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Bayern effect

Postby PeterParker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:46 pm

The win we needed to get back to our last season form?

We look again like a complete team, Fernandinho and Yaya look like they are back, Jojo scores again, Sergio on fire.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: The Bayern effect

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:49 pm

To be honest I thought I saw it in the Swansea game, and said as much to our kid (who begged to differ). Reminded him of it tonight.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby sheblue » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:50 pm

Tonight was our best team performance in yonks.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Nick » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:53 pm

also agree we were 'back' vs swansea (my mate argued with me and thought we played wank!)

but bayern game gave us a huge lift.

its simple - lift yourself for every game, stick to the pressing game(!) and we will beat anyone. Chelsea don't tend to slip up against 'lesser' sides anymore (sunderland had one of those games they usually have against us) whereas we tend to.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby City64 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:22 pm

PeterParker wrote:The win we needed to get back to our last season form?

We look again like a complete team, Fernandinho and Yaya look like they are back, Jojo scores again, Sergio on fire.

Same thing happened when we beat Villareal with a last gasp winner in the CL in 2011 ........
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 pm

I think we started to pass it more like City when we played Swansea, but there was still a nervousness about us, which returned v Bayern. I recon it would have been evident vs Southampton & Sunderland if we had lost that game. I'm not sure we would have won either away game. I feared for our season prior to the Bayern game, but I do think the turnaround has kicked us back into shape.

We have seen similar turnarounds at the swamp in the past, even vs shit teams, have pushed them on from looking hopeless, to winning titles.

I wouldn't be surprised if that Bayern game does the same for us.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ENIAM NAM » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Couple of great performances this week so far. There seems to be a real desire to win the ball, even at 4-1 up.

I wonder whether the better form is down to having a more settled team selection. The centre back pairing tonight was out of our control, but navas, nasri, aguero up front on his own, jovetic playing off him, fernandinho, clichy, zabs have all had a good run in the team.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:08 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I think we started to pass it more like City when we played Swansea, but there was still a nervousness about us, which returned v Bayern. I recon it would have been evident vs Southampton & Sunderland if we had lost that game. I'm not sure we would have won either away game. I feared for our season prior to the Bayern game, but I do think the turnaround has kicked us back into shape.

We have seen similar turnarounds at the swamp in the past, even vs shit teams, have pushed them on from looking hopeless, to winning titles.

I doubt we'd have won that Bayern game without that performance against Swansea behind us. Whatever the truth of the matter, the fact is we are building a momentum that may well prove as irresistible as it did last season. Fingers crossed.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Original Dub » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:36 am

I firmly believe you play your way out of bad form by tooth and nail. And you play your way into bad form through bad luck and/or decisions.

Rarely have I witnessed the "flick of a switch".

We're back. And momentum is with us. The rest is up for grabs.
Original Dub

Postby Green & Blue » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:37 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I think we started to pass it more like City when we played Swansea, but there was still a nervousness about us, which returned v Bayern. I recon it would have been evident vs Southampton & Sunderland if we had lost that game. I'm not sure we would have won either away game. I feared for our season prior to the Bayern game, but I do think the turnaround has kicked us back into shape.

I doubt we'd have won that Bayern game without that performance against Swansea behind us. Whatever the truth of the matter, the fact is we are building a momentum that may well prove as irresistible as it did last season. Fingers crossed.

The resurgence started at Swansea alright, we played some really good stuff in that game and confidene has started to grow since.The Bayern result was huge and the whole team seem to have belief again now and the resulting football in the past two league games has been so enjoyable to watch.

A few players have notably stepped up their performance over the last few weeks.Clichy, Fernandinho, Navas and Yaya are all back putting in quality shifts again.I thought Yaya and Fernandinho were superb together in midfield tonight.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby sheblue » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:07 am

the clichy that is playing now is not the same guy who was at left back two weeks ago. Navas has been excellent recently, its hard to see him being dropped.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:56 am

sheblue wrote:the clichy that is playing now is not the same guy who was at left back two weeks ago. Navas has been excellent recently, its hard to see him being dropped.

It's possibly due to that old cliché about players finding their form when they get a good run of games.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:16 am

All the above is true.

I would also say that now the squad is starting to recover from the effect of a disrupted pre-season due to the World Cup and then the international breaks disrupting us further. Now we have a couple of uninterrupted months of club football we should be able to out a few decent runs together, and push on even more when the injured players return.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:04 am

The key now, is not to let the Champions League have any negative effect, especially if things go wrong in Rome. Chances are we won't just br playing v Roma & their fans out there, there will be 5 agents of doom to contend with.

If we play like we are doing, we will win there, but we may not be allowed to.

Whatever, just keep our eyes on the prize in the Premier League, & that means starting with this intensity v Everton.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:12 am

Ted Hughes wrote:The key now, is not to let the Champions League have any negative effect, especially if things go wrong in Rome. Chances are we won't just br playing v Roma & their fans out there, there will be 5 agents of doom to contend with.

Whatever, just keep our eyes on the prize in the Premier League, & that means starting with this intensity v Everton.

Agreed finish Last if it goes tits up, Thursday Sunday they can stick where the sun don't shine.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:14 am

Ted Hughes wrote:The key now, is not to let the Champions League have any negative effect, especially if things go wrong in Rome. Chances are we won't just br playing v Roma & their fans out there, there will be 5 agents of doom to contend with.

This is my worry, Ted. An adverse result against Roma (or we win and go out anyway) might just effect our confidence in the league.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:47 am

This is my worry, Ted. An adverse result against Roma (or we win and go out anyway) might just effect our confidence in the league.

we are smashing Roma !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby PeterParker » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:54 am

I see that win similar to our win at WBA last season. If you recall, we really had problems away and that win started a long a majestic run for us that eventually brought us the title.

This year, won with Bayern then went to Soton and smashed them on a ground where they only received one goal. Then we broke the 1-0 curse with Sunderland. The morale is high in the dressing room at this stage and my guess is that the World Cup hangover passed and the boys finally realised they are no longer champions, Chelsea are ahead and if they want it, then they have to get it all over again.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:14 pm

PeterParker wrote:I see that win similar to our win at WBA last season. If you recall, we really had problems away and that win started a long a majestic run for us that eventually brought us the title.

This year, won with Bayern then went to Soton and smashed them on a ground where they only received one goal. Then we broke the 1-0 curse with Sunderland. The morale is high in the dressing room at this stage and my guess is that the World Cup hangover passed and the boys finally realised they are no longer champions, Chelsea are ahead and if they want it, then they have to get it all over again.

I like the way that the media are talking about (the certainty of) Chelsea going through the season undefeated and how they are playing football on another level to everyone else (the way they did with Loserpool last season). According to some, the campaign is now as good as over.

I also like the way that some of the bookies odds are making them 1/4 favourites to win the title, with City next at 4/1.

This might make Chelsea players start to become a little complacent (in spite of the reported professionalism of Mourinho in this respect) and, if nothing else, heap a little bit more pressure on them.

I like the way that we're now cruising along in their slipstream with not as much pressure on us, but just waiting for the inevitable Chelsea slip-up when we will be there to pounce. We've also had a hard fixture start to the season and our next few games are, relatively speaking, a little less daunting.

Hopefully, we can also rack up a few goals in the meantime and start to erode Chelsea's goal difference advantage, just for starters.

Be afraid Jose, be very afraid, City are coming for you.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby sheblue » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Hazy2 wrote:

we are smashing Roma !

That's the spirit!! We will win there.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum